GUILTY OK - Kelsey Briggs, 2, beaten to death, Meeker, 11 Oct 2005

DHS Worker Connected To Two Toddler Death Cases Dies
---
Police say a family friend found Donald Wheeler's body near a baseball camp in Chandler.

Wheeler was under investigation at the time of his death for apparently not following policy in the Serenity Deal case which may have prevented the five-year-old's murder. He also faced criticism over his role in the Kelsey Smith Briggs case. Kelsey died as a result of child abuse several years ago.
---
Police said it appears to be a suicide but they are still investigating the death.
---
more at news9.com link above

Random reminder of Kelsey...

My kids got an IPAD for Christmas... for homeschooling.
One of the first things I downloaded was a "Today in History" app.
This will give me several options of history topics to cover without having to have lesson plans.
It has events for that day, births, deaths and holidays.

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/today-in-history-ipad-edition/id364186493?mt=8

I about fell over when on December 28th it came up with:

Births:
2002; Kelsey Briggs, American murder victim (d. 2005)

It linked to the Wikipedia page about Kelsey. (Raye Dawn's appeal was denied in February.)

I expected Presidents, politicians, composers, artists, actors... but I was shocked to see Kelsey on there.
I almost started crying. Somebody remembers Kelsey. My daughter was born 6 weeks after Kelsey.

Then again when I came to post this I saw...

January 2:

Births:
2001; Christopher Barrios Jr, American murder victim (d. 2007)

It also told me when Ted Bundy escaped for the second time... this is my kind of app. :seeya:

End of random reminder... :crazy:

Kelsey's life was NOT in vain. Her tragic death caused reform to the way Oklahoma deals with cases related to child abuse and neglect. She has likely rescued several other innocent children from the awful world of abuse. Today, April 28th, is actually Kelsey Briggs day declared by Oklahoma state Capitol.

Kelsey will never be forgotten. Her death serves as a painful reminder that child abuse is REAL and we all have the power to do something to stop it.

My name is Kelsey

My name is Kelsey, I’m only two.
I’m way too young to know right from wrong,
I can barely sing a children’s song.
When you hurt me, why can’t you see,
I don’t understand, I’m not even three.
I try to walk, “can’t”.
My little body’s black and blue
and now you have taken my family too.
I love my daddy and he loves me,
Grandma, PaPa, where can you be?
I don’t forget, I think of you
and when I’m hurt, your love shines through.
It’s dark in here, I can’t go on------No!
Wait there’s light, an angel’s song.
I feel God’s hand lift me away:
he has the perfect place to play.
I know you hurt, I see your tears,
but only God knows why I’m here.
Daddy, I’m okay, my body’s new
and I will never, ever forget you.
My name was Kelsey.

Written by Connie Mathews

RIP Angel...

Kelsey113.jpg

This is my first post, but I couldn't think of a better place for it to be than in this thread. When I first heard about this case, my heart simply broke into a million pieces. I cried..sobbed for this poor little baby. I just will never..NEVER...understand how ANYONE can hurt a defenseless child...it sickens me!! I am glad that Raye Dawn & MP are in jail! They deserve much worse, IMO.

Anyway, I don't know if any of you have read the book "Who Killed Kelsey?" but I just have to say, I think it's a wonderfully written book & I cried the whole time. I just wish it was a book that never had to be written.

I wish there was something I could do for this poor family, but seeing as I live on the East Coast & am nowhere close to Oklahoma, I will just pray that they someday find some sort of peace.

Just wanted to thrown my 2 cents in on this sad case.

RIP Beautiful Angel

I just came across this case, which happened so long ago. Poor little Kelsey somehow getting through 33 months of life with a mother like that. Anyway, there is a mesmerizing, will written, but very sad book on the short life of Kelsey Smith Griggs. I thought someone else might like to read it.

Who Killed Kelsey?
by Britten Follet and Cherokee Ballard

available for use on e-readers.

Evidently we still don't know for sure who was beating her just before she died, But justice was served in a roundabout way, except for not bringing the baby back.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back