Deceased/Not Found OK - Lauria Bible & Ashley Freeman, both 16, Welch, 30 Dec 1999 *GUILTY* *released from prison 2023* #2

DEC 29, 2022
Authorities have yet to find the bodies of the two missing girls. Welch and Pennington have since died. Ronnie Busick is the only person convicted in this crime still alive. He remains in the Lexington Correction Center.

K3B6DZN4ZJM44IWROY6BWXLHGU.jpg

DEC 30, 2022
Lorene Bible, Lauria’s mother, follows up on leads monthly, but now they are coming from a new generation.

“It’s their kids, their grandkids, people whose parents or grandparents were in that realm of things,” said Lorene. “They [call] and think maybe [the information] may or may not help, but it’s another piece to the puzzle.”

For 23 years, authorities have searched different areas of northeast Oklahoma and other surrounding states and investigated thousands of tips all in hopes of leading to the recovery of their remains.

The girls’ disappearance has been profiled on many national television shows and the subject of many magazine articles and books.

Investigators say they continue to receive information and are in the process of vetting it.

A $50,000 reward remains active.

Sen. Michael Bergstrom, R-Adair, responded to the release of Busick on Tuesday.

“Lauria Bible was a student of mine at Bluejacket High School where I was the English teacher. The murder of the Freeman’s and kidnapping of the girls shocked the school and the community,” Bergstrom said. “I saw how the community pulled together for the family. I saw how Lauria’s mother struggled to cope, always hoping that her daughter was still alive somewhere, and I am sure dreading the possibility of the worst.”

“Now the family must suffer the injustice of seeing this individual who has admitted involvement being released from prison after little more than two years in prison. This is a travesty, and my prayers go out to the family,” Bergstrom added. “Unfortunately, the agreement reached with Busick in this case resulted in him getting a ridiculously small prison sentence, even though he has yet to help law enforcement recover the girls’ bodies. It’s outrageous.”

A $50,000 reward remains active.

“Lauria Bible was a student of mine at Bluejacket High School where I was the English teacher. The murder of the Freeman’s and kidnapping of the girls shocked the school and the community,” Bergstrom said. “I saw how the community pulled together for the family. I saw how Lauria’s mother struggled to cope, always hoping that her daughter was still alive somewhere, and I am sure dreading the possibility of the worst.”

“Now the family must suffer the injustice of seeing this individual who has admitted involvement being released from prison after little more than two years in prison. This is a travesty, and my prayers go out to the family,” Bergstrom added. “Unfortunately, the agreement reached with Busick in this case resulted in him getting a ridiculously small prison sentence, even though he has yet to help law enforcement recover the girls’ bodies. It’s outrageous.”

This says Tuesday, which is 5/16, I have his date as Thursday, 5/19...

Anyone here reading - can you access the Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections’ Lexington Correctional Center or the Craig County case #CF-2018-00056.

TIA! :)

This says Tuesday, which is 5/16, I have his date as Thursday, 5/19...

Anyone here reading - can you access the Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections’ Lexington Correctional Center or the Craig County case #CF-2018-00056.

TIA! :)
The article is dated May 2. Also, IMO "Tuesday" refers to the day the Senator responded, not the date of Busick's release. Bad wording.... MOO

Neither DOC or OSCN show a discharge date.

CRF#CourtOffenseConviction DateTermTerm CodeReception DateDischarged Date
2018-56CRAIG COUNTY COURTACCESSORY TO FELONY - MURDER8/31/20205 YProbation8/31/2020Active
2018-56CRAIG COUNTY COURTACCESSORY TO FELONY - MURDER8/31/202010 YIncarceration12/9/2020Active

Latest entry:
01/12/2021TEXTMEDICAL SHEET
Document Available at Court Clerk's Office

The article is dated May 2. Also, IMO "Tuesday" refers to the day the Senator responded, not the date of Busick's release. Bad wording.... MOO

Neither DOC or OSCN show a discharge date.

CRF#CourtOffenseConviction DateTermTerm CodeReception DateDischarged Date
2018-56CRAIG COUNTY COURTACCESSORY TO FELONY - MURDER8/31/20205 YProbation8/31/2020Active
2018-56CRAIG COUNTY COURTACCESSORY TO FELONY - MURDER8/31/202010 YIncarceration12/9/2020Active

Latest entry:
01/12/2021TEXTMEDICAL SHEET
Document Available at Court Clerk's Office

Okay - thanks for the explanation... So I shall keep him on the 19th....

Friday, May 19th:
*Release from Prison (@ am CT) - OK – Danny (40) & Kathy Freeman (37), their daughter Ashley (16) & her friend Lauria Bible (16) (Dec. 29-30, 1999, Welch; girls have not been found) - *Ronnie Dean Busick (37 @ time of crime/68/now 70) was arrested (4/22/18) & official charged (4/30/18) with 2 counts of first-degree murder with malice aforethought or accessory to 1st degree murder, 2 additional counts of 1st degree murder, 2 counts of kidnapping, and 1 count of first-degree arson or accessory to 1st degree arson. $1M bond.
Two other men, Warren Philip "Phil" Welch II (61) died in 2007 & David A. Pennington (56) died in 2015, are implicated in the deaths but have themselves died.
Jury Trial began on 12/13/19 re competency. Jury: 3 men & 3 women, with 2 alternates. 12/18/19: Found Busick competent to stand trial.

Court info from 5/11/18 thru 6/22/20 reference post #43 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...welch-30-december-1999-arrest-2.495323/page-3

7/15/20 Update: Busick plead guilty in Craig County District Court in Vinita to accessory to murder; remaining charges were dropped per the agreement and he will be sentenced to 15 years, serving 10 years in Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections custody & five years under supervised release. An alternative sentence would leave Busick serving five years in prison if information he provides leads to the recovery of Ashley's & Lauria's remains. He would also serve five years of supervised release. Sentencing on 8/31/20.
8/17/20 Update: District Attorney Matt Ballard & prosecutor Isaac Shields said after the July 15 hearing at which Busick pleaded guilty that he already has provided some information & that there may be a provision for him to lead investigators to a location. Based on information from the only still-living suspect, authorities will be excavating an abandoned root cellar in the Tar Creek area of Ottawa County on Tuesday (8/18/20), searching for the remains of two Craig County teenagers who have been missing for 20 years & are presumed dead. He was sentenced to 15 years, to serve 10 years in Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections custody & five years on supervised release. His formal sentencing is set for Aug. 31, and his sentence is to be slashed in half if Busick provides information leading to the recovery of the girls’ remains. 8/18/20 Update: Nothing was found.
8/31/20 Update: Judge Taylor, State by Isaac Shields, defendant present with attorney Gretchen Mosley. Defendant is sentenced to 15 years in prison with 5 years suspended. Defendant given credit for time served beginning with date of 4/23/18. Defendant advised of his right to withdraw plea. Defendant requests immediate transport to prison & waives the 10 days to remain in County Jail. Victim impact statement read by Lorene Bible.
10/8/21 Update: A new search for the bodies of two northeast Oklahoma girls missing since 1999 will start Friday, according to authorities. Investigators will search a cellar on vacant land in the former town of Picher where a suspect in the disappearance of Ashley & Lauria lived at the time, according to the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation & the Craig County District Attorney’s Office. he location is based on interviews by investigators of Busick. “Busick just kept saying over & over ‘the root cellar,’” to OSBI & district attorney investigators. The search is on land where a former home of one of the men once stood, & authorities say his stepdaughter told investigators Pennington forbid anyone from going near the cellar. 10/9/21 Update: Nothing was found at the property.
10/20/22 Update: Authorities are back in Picher, Oklahoma searching for the remains of the Welch, Oklahoma girls. Lauria Bible & Ashley Freeman went missing in 1999. The FBI, OSBI, Quapaw Marshals & other departments are in two locations today. According to Lorene Bible, the mother of Lauria. The search today turned up empty again. But it’s two more locations we can mark off the list. It feels like we will dig up all the Picher to find the girls & that’s just not fair.
4/28/23 Update: Busick is set for release from the Oklahoma Dept. of Corrections’ Lexington Correctional Center on 5/19/23, said Kay Thompson, acting chief administrator of communications at DOC. In August 2020, Busick, the only suspect still living, pleaded guilty to accessory to murder & received a 10-year prison sentence, plus five years’ probation. The DOC spokeswoman said Busick received credit for county jail time he served while he was awaiting trial, plus he earned credits to reduce his sentence under state law that applies to DOC inmates who receive outstanding evaluations for such things as work, education, hygiene & maintenance of living area. She said Busick’s five-year probation will include only one year under official supervision.

A protest is planned ahead of his release and Lauria Bibles Mom, Lorene, says she's going to be at the protest Friday as he is released.

"He better look over his back shoulder every day for the rest of his life because my daughter isn't here she didn't get that choice to walk this earth to grow to have a family get a job, have children, do any of that why should he," said Lorene Bible.

"He is going to look behind and know I'm there every day," said Lorene Bible.

Investigators say, Ronnie Busick, along with two other men who have now died, abducted and likely killed Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman in 1999.

"For him to be out in three, that's not right. That's not right. That means everything we've done for twenty-three years has been for nothing. We're right back where we were twenty-three years ago. The girls are still gone. There's no justice," said Lorene Bible.

The family's post reads:

"The inevitable is here and tomorrow Ronnie Busick will be released. Lorene will be there. I'd like for us to take the focus off of him and make tomorrow a day to honor Lauria and Ashley," said a Facebook post from the group Find Lauria Bible.

"I'm asking everyone around the world to light a candle for them, take a picture of it and post it on our page with where you are from. We appreciate the support we have from all of you and this is something that would bring our family joy. Thank you for all your love, prayers, and support. At the end of the day, our goal is still to find Lauria and Ashley and that's what we intend to continue to do!"

MAY 19, 2023
Busick received a 10-year prison sentence for his role in the case, but he also earned credit for time served.

He was released from custody on Friday.

The Department of Justice released a statement explaining his sentence and release from prison:

"Ronnie Busick received credit for time served in county jail and has since been receiving enhanced credits. He was receiving 60 days a month credit. He has five years probation which one year will be supervised." - OKLAHOMA DEPARTMENT OF CORRECTIONS

"To serve two and a half years, and now he’s out because he was a model prisoner?" Bible's mother, Lorene, said. "No, that’s not right. That’s just not right."

She said this feels like a betrayal to their family and that she wants criminals to be held accountable.

The Oklahoma Department of Corrections said Busick was released at 6:30 a.m. Friday. He will now serve five years of probation, one of which will be supervised.

FOX 25 never got a chance to see him after security guards stood at the entrance to the prison, blocking protestors like Lorene Bible, mother of Lauria Bible.

"It’s just like a slap in the face,” she said.

JUN 6, 2023
[...]

Filed by Rep. Steve Bashore, the law would add accessory to murder in the first or second degree to the list of crimes that would require an offender to serve 85% of their prison sentence before being eligible for consideration for parole. It would also exclude the prisoner from earning any type of credit that would reduce the sentence to below 85% of what was imposed.

The bill is named after two girls who were brutally raped and murdered in 1999 — 16-year-olds Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman.

[...]

Rep. Brashore says it was reported Busick received a lower sentence in exchange for information to help investigators locate the bodies of the teens, but the bodies have yet to be recovered. ...

"This case has been a travesty of justice from the beginning," Bashore said. "The families of these girls are horrified that a person so closely involved with this heinous crime not only was sentenced to such a low number of years in prison but now is free to move about in their community after so short a time served. I have vowed to work to ensure something like this will never happen again for anyone else's loved ones."

[...]

JUN 6, 2023
[...]

Filed by Rep. Steve Bashore, the law would add accessory to murder in the first or second degree to the list of crimes that would require an offender to serve 85% of their prison sentence before being eligible for consideration for parole. It would also exclude the prisoner from earning any type of credit that would reduce the sentence to below 85% of what was imposed.

The bill is named after two girls who were brutally raped and murdered in 1999 — 16-year-olds Lauria Bible and Ashley Freeman.

[...]

Rep. Brashore says it was reported Busick received a lower sentence in exchange for information to help investigators locate the bodies of the teens, but the bodies have yet to be recovered. ...

"This case has been a travesty of justice from the beginning," Bashore said. "The families of these girls are horrified that a person so closely involved with this heinous crime not only was sentenced to such a low number of years in prison but now is free to move about in their community after so short a time served. I have vowed to work to ensure something like this will never happen again for anyone else's loved ones."

[...]
Standard populist move, which will result in just one thing: it will make investigators' work difficult if not impossible by discouraging criminals from cooperating and testifying against accomplices. When you investigate crimes from hell, you don't get angels as witnesses.

Lauria and Ashley's law would make people convicted of accessory to murder in the first and second degree serve at least 85 percent of their sentence.

The bill is being filed after a suspect in Lauria and Ashley's case got out of jail early this past May.

A judge convicted Ronnie Busick for accessory to murder in Lauria and Ashley's case and was sentenced to 10 years in prison, but got out in less than three years because of good behavior.

"When we found out that Ronnie Busick was getting released, that brought up another storm," said Lauria's mother Lorene.

"Like a punch in the gut, took me a while to process it," said Lauria's cousin Lisa Brodrick.

"As soon as Lisa and I made a connection, yes let's band together, let's get something done,"

"We're out to make sure nothing like this can never happen again to another family because it's a nightmare," Bible said.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hongwuzhiye59
Back