GUILTY OK - Rosalin Reynolds, 8, stabbed to death, Watonga, 23 March 2011

Slain Oklahoma girl’s funeral draws hundreds
WATONGA — Erma Daukei wept Thursday as she gripped the lectern behind her daughter’s casket and read a poem she wrote to the slain 8-year-old.

“You touched so many lives without knowing it,” Daukei said during Rosalin Reynolds’ funeral service. “Rosa, you have been loved and you are very well missed. I will take care of your brothers and sister very well.”
---
The funeral service began with prayers and a Cheyenne song sung to the tune of “Amazing Grace.”
---
Rosalin’s small white casket was adorned with traditional American Indian blankets and flowers.
---
more at Daily Oklahoma link above

Ishell is a verified local in this case. You may ask questions, but you must respect any refusual to answer, please. That means if you ask a question and it doesn't get answered, you may not keep asking.

Hope that makes sense and thanks everybody.

Welcome to WS Ishell, we look forward to any light you can shed on this case.

Salem
Mod

Now I'm confused. Rosalin Reynolds' mother is Erma Daukei--is she related to the perp as well?

Yes, the alleged perp is mother's cousin.

I didn't mean that to sound a unfriendly as I did and I apologize. Again, please know that I am just trying to make a terrible tragedy make some kind of sense. And I know that it never will. I just want to learn the facts, thats all.

Ishell welcome. You came across just fine - no regular here is going to take what you said wrong.

Thank you for joining and being a verified local (also for the posted Link).

Now that the SA is in the MSM (mainstream media) it can be discussed here, I saw several references to a SA the day of the attack in local news blogs - the comments were pulled very quickly. Is this rumor the reason people want the DP?

This crime seems to be really tearing at the hearts of people who live in the community - many commenters claimed to be relatives of the family. It must be horrible for all concerned.

While I would never think of blaming this family, I do believe there were signs of escalating violence in Daukei - he had three arrests back to back and another some months before. Maybe something a professional should have evaluated. Drugs and alcohol can change anyone...

My heart and prayers go out to all concerned, Rosa was a beautiful little girl.

There are all kinds of rumors. But there has been no real verification of sexual assault. Just a lot of speculation.

There is a serious history of drug and alcohol abuse, from almost everyone in the family. And violence as well.

As for the escalating violence, I'm sure it seems that way when you just look at the cases on paper. But this is a little different situation. Icey would drink a lot, sometimes for days on end. And then he would fight. This is something that is very, very common among his peer group in this community. It's not even really taken personally. The altercation with the police is something else entirely. Icey has a severe mistrust of police, as do most of the people close to him. And he didn't actually hurt anyone it was more of a scuffle from everything I've read.

I know it sounds like I'm making excuses, I'm not. It's just he's really not exceptionally violent. He's a combatitive drinker.

According to today's article, the father was there in the tiny apartment where the murder took place. I have been to these aparments and I know that the walls are thin and they are really small. I would like to know how the father slept through the attack. I would also like to know how the other children were not awake. The mother of the victim says in the article that the father was asleep in a chair and that Icey was asleep on the couch when she last checked. But when she discovered the blood, Icey was gone and the father was on the couch. Seems strange to me.

If this seems to be the case, I find that rather strange also. Of course, we will have to wait and see where this may lead!

Father of slain Watonga girl wants killer executed

The father of a slain Watonga girl said he has forgiven the man charged with killing his daughter but still wants him to be executed.

[snip]

Reynolds said he went into shock after finding his daughter’s body shortly after 5 a.m. on March 23.

“I went and got two knives — I was going to go look for him,” Reynolds said. “I was going to kill him.”

[snip]

Erma Daukei said a 10-inch kitchen knife was found in the sink, covered with blood. She has said she was not at home when her daughter was killed, and discovered her daughter missing when she returned from a neighbor’s apartment about 4 a.m. She said her husband was sleeping in the living room, and she did not understand how the killing could have happened without waking him up.

http://newsok.com/investigators-question-timeline-in-watonga-girls-slaying/article/3559885

Investigators question timeline in Watonga girl's slaying
Most officials have had little to say about the case against the suspect in the stabbing death of a Watonga girl, but the police chief said Monday investigators have questioned the timeline of events provided by witnesses.

BY SHEILA STOGSDILL sheilastogsdill@sbcglobal.net Oklahoman
Published: April 19, 2011

WATONGA – Investigators have “a problem” with the family's timeline of events leading to the stabbing death of an 8-year-old Watonga girl, the police chief said Monday.

Read more: http://newsok.com/investigators-que...a-girls-slaying/article/3559885#ixzz1K5zHHYt0

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who thought that this case seemed suspicious! I was beginning to wonder if the OSBI was even still looking into it. I know that its probably nothing, but something seems so wrong about the story.

Watonga police had been to slain girl's home many times
Neighbors had complained about disturbances at the home of an 8-year-old Watonga girl who was stabbed to death last month, the police chief said.

BY SHEILA STOGSDILL sheilastogsdill@sbcglobal.net Oklahoman
Published: April 30, 2011

WATONGA — Police were sent many times to the apartment where a Watonga girl killed March 23 lived with her family, including as recently as a month before the 8-year-old's body was found in a nearby field.

Read more: http://newsok.com/watonga-police-ha...home-many-times/article/3563404#ixzz1LCnWH92I

Just the most recent update...

This week the suspect was declared not competent to stand trial by the state's psychologist. There is an article that stated he has "decomposition". Whatever that means. I will post the link when I have more time. He has been sent to the state hospital at Vinita to be restored to competency in order to stand trial. The DA's office stated that they will hold off on the decision whether or not to seek the death penalty at this time. It looks like this case will drag on for some time. I will try to post a link to the article when I have more time.

Thanks, Ishell, for keeping us up to date on this.

2/4/12 -WATONGA — The parents of a Blaine County man accused of killing his 8-year-old cousin reversed their decision Friday to have their son to undergo a competency trial and agreed instead that he needs treatment.

James “Icey” Daukei Jr., 21, is charged in Blaine County District Court with first-degree murder in the March 23 death of Rosalin Reynolds, of Watonga. He is accused of repeatedly stabbing her with a kitchen knife, including one wound through her heart.

An autopsy report shows Rosalin's body had eight stab wounds and a perforated hymen.

His parents requested a trial to determine his competency. Now that they have changed their minds, Daukei will be sent to Vinita in the next few days, said District Attorney Mike Fields.

http://newsok.com/article/3645948

More at Link

(1-28-12 Daukei to have competency hearing)

http://newsok.com/article/3644107

Feb 2 (Parents request competency trial)

http://newsok.com/article/3645444

GUILTY -
James Daukei Jr., also known as “Icey,” was found guilty after entering a no contest plea, and received a sentence of life without parole as part of a deal with prosecutors.

A mental evaluation conducted in January found Daukei suffers from decompensation since his incarceration March 23, 2011. Decompensation is described as a failure of defense mechanisms resulting in progressive personality disintegration.

“Oklahomans, and Blaine County residents in particular, can now rest assured that Mr. Daukei will serve the remainder of his life in prison.”

http://enidnews.com/localnews/x1284939075/Daukei-guilty-in-murder-of-8-year-old-Watonga-girl

More at link

Life W/O Parole when you are 21 years old must seem like an eternity. First time in awhile, the punishment fits the crime.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodrickheffley
Back