OK OK - Stephen “Steve” Lee Murphy, last seen in Claremore sometime in 1976, not reported missing until July 2022

Maybe this will help? I will try to look more later...

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer & this is info I have found by googling.

Here's a form for Oklahoma (which is where I think you will have to file since that was the last known location for him) for a Petition for a Letter of Administration (link & attachment of document are below).

I am not sure that is the exact form you should use. The last place (I think) where you have listed that he was seen was in Claremore, Oklahoma which is in Rogers County. I would perhaps call the court clerk of Rogers County & ask if this is the form you would use & if you would file it with their court. If not, she could maybe point you to the right location or form.
1707184927259.png

Part of OK law (part 58-941)
§58-941. Presumption of death - Issuance of letters testamentary or
of administration.
Presumption of death - Any person missing from his usual place
of residence and whose address is unknown by his family or those who,
in the ordinary course of events, would be expected to know his
whereabouts, who is continuously absent and unheard of for a period
of seven (7) years or longer, shall be presumed to be dead and the
district court, after the expiration of such period, shall have
jurisdiction and authority to declare such person to be legally dead
and to issue letters testamentary or letters of administration upon
the estates of such persons.

Also, fyi, here's the part of OK law about the letters of administration (part 58-943). It's not quite the same as having someone declared legally deceased but it does deal with someone who has been absent for 7 years & for a person wanting info on the estate, so maybe this is a way to start to find out the process:
Laws 1937, p. 5, § 1.
§58-942. Petition for letters - Venue.
Petition for letters - A petition for letters testamentary or
letters of administration may be filed by any relative, creditor or
other person interested in the estate of said absent person:
1st: In the county in which said absent person was a resident at
the time of his disappearance.
2nd: In the county in which said absent person did, at the time
of his disappearance, have property, either real or personal.
Laws 1937, p. 5, § 2.
§58-943. Contents of petition.
The petition for letters testamentary or letters of
administration shall show:
1. the jurisdictional facts;
2. the names, ages and residence of the heirs, devisees, or
legatees of the decedent, so far as known to the petitioner;
3. a description and probable value and character of the
property of the estate belonging to said absent person at the time of
his disappearance;
4. the name and address of the person for whom letters
testamentary or of administration are prayed;
5. the time and circumstances when the absentee was last seen or
heard from;
6. that the absentee has not been seen or heard from for a
continuous period of seven (7) years by the persons likely to have
seen or heard from the absentee (naming them and their relationship
to the absentee) and that the location of the absentee is unknown to
those persons and to the petitioner; and
7. a description of the search or the inquiry concerning the
location of the absentee.
Laws 1937, p. 5, § 3.

And I'll add this link again even though I had it in my previous post too. I think it gives a clear step-by-step process which is probably close to the process you will need to follow, imo.

Hugs, @Snoangel26. You've walked a long road & I know this isn't the outcome you hoped for. Hang in there. You have friends here & people to lean on.

Attachments

• Petition for Letters of Administration (PDF).pdf
    82.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer & this is info I have found by googling.

Here's a form for Oklahoma (which is where I think you will have to file since that was the last known location for him) for a Petition for a Letter of Administration (link & attachment of document are below).

I am not sure that is the exact form you should use. The last place (I think) where you have listed that he was seen was in Claremore, Oklahoma which is in Rogers County. I would perhaps call the court clerk of Rogers County & ask if this is the form you would use & if you would file it with their court. If not, she could maybe point you to the right location or form.
View attachment 481223

Part of OK law (part 58-941)

Also, fyi, here's the part of OK law about the letters of administration (part 58-943). It's not quite the same as having someone declared legally deceased but it does deal with someone who has been absent for 7 years & for a person wanting info on the estate, so maybe this is a way to start to find out the process:

And I'll add this link again even though I had it in my previous post too. I think it gives a clear step-by-step process which is probably close to the process you will need to follow, imo.

Hugs, @Snoangel26. You've walked a long road & I know this isn't the outcome you hoped for. Hang in there. You have friends here & people to lean on.
Thank you so much.

I reached out to PI company and asked if they could run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me it came back to a different name and that the person was still alive. The also told me for them to keep digging there would be a fee. I'm confused about this ssn as I found it on a piece of military paper. Thoughts?

I reached out to PI company and asked if they could run the ssn I have for Stephen. They did and told me it came back to a different name and that the person was still alive. The also told me for them to keep digging there would be a fee. I'm confused about this ssn as I found it on a piece of military paper. Thoughts?

Do you feel that the PI company is legit? If so it would be worth it to see what they could find. But I'm not sure how to judge a PI company's reliability.

Have you considered getting a second opinion from another PI firm?

Have you considered getting a second opinion from another PI firm?

This was my first thought too.

@Snoangel26 I hope this will lead you down a path that will give you the answers you seek. Best wishes always and hoping for positive updates for you very soon.
Thank you. Hoping I can figure out how to get information without dropping lots of money.

What, if you contact a television station, that produces missing persons programs? You have your father's SSN and a (wrong) name as well as the important connection to the military, so there is a very good start for further successful searching. If your case is interesting for the TV station, they would take over the search without fee (I believe). I think, TV producers/journalists have a lot more opportunities to get information than you would ever have.

When I saw this type of German broadcast here, I was always very impressed by the efforts and the success in finding relatives after tens of years.

What, if you contact a television station, that produces missing persons programs? You have your father's SSN and a (wrong) name as well as the important connection to the military, so there is a very good start for further successful searching. If your case is interesting for the TV station, they would take over the search without fee (I believe). I think, TV producers/journalists have a lot more opportunities to get information than you would ever have.

When I saw this type of German broadcast here, I was always very impressed by the efforts and the success in finding relatives after tens of years.
I have thought of that. Just haven't figured out which one to contact. I'll go searching again. I will get my answers one day.

I would do research into the usual reporters/journalists for local/regional news stations and send them an email about your story first. Their contact information should be on their pages. Keep it short and sweet, like two paragraphs expressing that you are interested in having a story done for TV and then an outline about your father and the search. MOO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back