Found Deceased OK, Veronica Butler 27 & Jilian Kelley 39, Vehicle Abandoned, Texas County, 30 Mar 2024 #5 *Arrests*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Come on, reporters. Aaaaarrrrgggghhh.

According to Jilian’s obituary on the funeral home website, her services are this Tuesday, April 30, 2024, in Hugoton.

Book signing services will be held on Sunday, April 28, 2024, from 3 P.M. to 6 P.M. and Monday, April 29, 2024 from 10 A.M. to 8 P.M., at Robson Funeral Home, Hugoton.

Celebration of Life service will be held on Tuesday, April 30, 2024, at 10 A.M. at First Christian Church of Hugoton. Family and friends are encouraged to wear yellow to the service.

There are bad dudes in every demographic, lifestyle.
Absolutely. We know that both bad and good exist side-by-side everywhere. It's rarer, though, in my experience, to have board members of local hospitals behaving like this. Leading citizens, sure occasionally, but at least 3 of these 5 seem deeply rooted in the community, from wealth and privilege (who usually manage to keep their public veneers in place). It's probably because I've not followed enough cases to run across one like this.

None of these arrested people were granted bail which makes me think there will be no plea deals, they will all be found guilty and all sentenced to death
From a practical point of view, trials are incredibly expensive. In general, if the DA offers LWOP in lieu of the death penalty and the perp takes it, it saves everyone a lot of headaches, time and money. With the death penalty, it's often many years and a bazillion appeals before anyone is executed.

I just checked in on the Capital punishment in Oklahoma WIKI:
Murders that are considered "...especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel" are eligible for the death penalty.

In Oklahoma "When the prosecution seeks the death penalty, the sentence is decided by the jury and must be unanimous.

In case of a hung jury during the penalty phase of the trial, a life sentence is issued, even if a single juror opposed death (there is no retrial)."

I'm sure the relatives of VB and JK will be queried about the death penalty and their wishes taken into account.

There's something about PG, though. He seems like the kind who would want to turn a trial into a SovCit circus, MOO.

*17 Apr 2024
KSN Anchor Julia Thatcher was in Oklahoma Wednesday. She, alongside other reporters, was able to talk to Clinton Butler, Veronica Butler’s dad.

Q: Do you feel like the justice system failed Veronica?

A: One hundred percent.

Q: Was it always like that?

A: In the last five years, yes.

Q: What would you say to the justice system?

A: They don’t want to know. I have to get off here right now.

Thatcher was also able to ask the district attorney if the death penalty would be an option. He said that will be decided later
*the last five years, huh? coincidental that the custody battle began around the same time.

The Oklahoma Court of Civil Appeals had directed a trial judge in 2022 to give the children’s parents shared custody. The ruling described them as “very young and immature parents” who accused each other of “inappropriate behavior and choices,” but said “the children are nurtured and comforted by Mother” and ”happy and excited to be with Father.”

Come on, reporters. Aaaaarrrrgggghhh.

According to Jilian’s obituary on the funeral home website, her services are this Tuesday, April 30, 2024, in Hugoton.

Book signing services will be held on Sunday, April 28, 2024, from 3 P.M. to 6 P.M. and Monday, April 29, 2024 from 10 A.M. to 8 P.M., at Robson Funeral Home, Hugoton.

Celebration of Life service will be held on Tuesday, April 30, 2024, at 10 A.M. at First Christian Church of Hugoton. Family and friends are encouraged to wear yellow to the service.

Since nothing is mentioned about a burial or funeral - only a book signing service and a Celebration of Life service, does that indicate the bodies haven't been released to the families yet? I'm just wondering how long the ME keeps bodies for these investigations? (apologies if this comes across as insensitive)

Poor women were terrorized by those goons before dying. Whatever jury they get is going to hate their guts.

Given what we know, I doubt any defense attorney would recommend a jury trial because none of these misfits come across as particularly sympathetic. Now there may be details of the case that could lead an attorney to favor a jury trial, but from what is currently known publicly I don't see a jury being a good choice - except for during sentencing where they have a good chance of one person being opposed to the DP. Unlike a jury, a judge would likely focus on the nuances of the law rather than the emotional aspects of the case.

Of course not all defendants are going to listen to their lawyers, and from what we know about TA I can see her deciding a jury will understand she was a grandmother just doing what she had to do to protect the grandchildren. And as others have said the whole 'anti-goverment, make your own rules' mindset does factor in here. I could see one or more demand a trial to prove that they couldn't be guilty because they aren't subject to the laws of a government they don't recognize.

We shall see.

Were VIctim's Remains Released to Family?
Since nothing is mentioned about a burial or funeral - only a book signing service and a Celebration of Life service, does that indicate the bodies haven't been released to the families yet? I'm just wondering how long the ME keeps bodies for these investigations? (apologies if this comes across as insensitive)
@Gae Not insensitive at all.
Family announcement re book signing & celebration of life, w no ref. to "funeral," does not necessarily indicate that remains are still in Med.Examiner's custody.

Nor does it necessarily indicate anything re status of Autopsy Report, which may be complete, w ruling CoD & MoD, but info not publicly released.

Sometimes a fam holds a private funeral service for fam & invited guests only. Or some fam's may not hold a traditional funeral, esp'ly more common if they plan to scatter ashes of remains. Not saying that's the situation here.
imo

Brian Entin reported they were not shot, and he's an actual, and very good, reporter, as far as I know.
The pool/ puddle of blood was mentioned by a local in an FB group. They took pictures. The day after? So that's where whoever reported that got it from.
Our nightmares are real.
View attachment 499975
The Oklahoman via the OSBI reported the Medical Examiner said they were not shot on April 19th.

Were VIctim's Remains Released to Family?

@Gae Not insensitive at all.
Family announcement re book signing & celebration of life, w no ref. to "funeral," does not necessarily indicate that remains are still in Med.Examiner's custody.

Nor does it necessarily indicate anything re status of Autopsy Report, which may be complete, w ruling CoD & MoD, but info not publicly released.

Sometimes a fam holds a private funeral service for fam & invited guests only. Or some fam's may not hold a traditional funeral, esp'ly more common if they plan to scatter ashes of remains. Not saying that's the situation here.
imo
Thank you so much. I just did a search, and it looks like bodies are usually released within 48 hours after the start of the autopsy, even if cause and manner are still pending. I had a young cousin who was murdered in 1995 whose body was found days later (still unsolved - I started a thread on him here) and as I remember, the ME didn't keep his body very long at all before releasing it to the family for funeral.

The Oklahoman via the OSBI reported the Medical Examiner said they were not shot on April 19th.
* Thank you. April 18th
The pathologist is still working to determine the causes of death. The state's chief medical examiner, Dr. Eric Pfeifer, said Thursday they were not shot.

Last edited:
From a practical point of view, trials are incredibly expensive. In general, if the DA offers LWOP in lieu of the death penalty and the perp takes it, it saves everyone a lot of headaches, time and money. With the death penalty, it's often many years and a bazillion appeals before anyone is executed.

I just checked in on the Capital punishment in Oklahoma WIKI:
Murders that are considered "...especially heinous, atrocious, or cruel" are eligible for the death penalty.

In Oklahoma "When the prosecution seeks the death penalty, the sentence is decided by the jury and must be unanimous.

In case of a hung jury during the penalty phase of the trial, a life sentence is issued, even if a single juror opposed death (there is no retrial)."

I'm sure the relatives of VB and JK will be queried about the death penalty and their wishes taken into account.

There's something about PG, though. He seems like the kind who would want to turn a trial into a SovCit circus, MOO.

The families of the victims may have different wishes about the death penalty, so ultimately it has to be the decision of the prosecution.

Given what we know, I doubt any defense attorney would recommend a jury trial because none of these misfits come across as particularly sympathetic. Now there may be details of the case that could lead an attorney to favor a jury trial, but from what is currently known publicly I don't see a jury being a good choice - except for during sentencing where they have a good chance of one person being opposed to the DP. Unlike a jury, a judge would likely focus on the nuances of the law rather than the emotional aspects of the case.

Of course not all defendants are going to listen to their lawyers, and from what we know about TA I can see her deciding a jury will understand she was a grandmother just doing what she had to do to protect the grandchildren. And as others have said the whole 'anti-goverment, make your own rules' mindset does factor in here. I could see one or more demand a trial to prove that they couldn't be guilty because they aren't subject to the laws of a government they don't recognize.

We shall see.
The defense can request a Judge decide the verdict, but I do believe there will be a trial. And the Judge will be just as brutal to the 'anti-government' defendants as a jury.

JMO

We shall see.

TA and PG confessed, taking responsibility, and most likely turning state's evidence - describing the crimes and implicating their co-defendants.

So I believe that they will plead guilty, not have a trial and NOT get the DP.

Now if the others were to go to trial under the DP they would have to have a 12 person jury because only a 12 person jury - all 12 - can give a death sentence.

When the defendant is under the DP they have 2 trials, Guilt Phase and then Penalty Phase. All 12 jurors in the Penalty Phase trial must agree on death for the judge to be able to give that sentence.

2 Cents

I have been to Oklahoma and Western areas and found people there wonderful. The addition of the fifth arrest has put me into even more horror than before. Perhaps it is the realization of just what complete and total thugs these 5 people are going after 2 women. Maybe it's the kid in me whose feeling of some nobility and inherent goodness in "cowboys" has been destroyed.

A surprise attack, an ambush, by FIVE grown, active, strong people against two women heading to a kid's birthday party? A gang of thugs, lower than animals. Adding that fifth person takes the horror of this up a notch for me.
BBM
Yeah, that's a myth and myths die hard.

TA and PG confessed, taking responsibility, and most likely turning state's evidence - describing the crimes and implicating their co-defendants.

So I believe that they will plead guilty, not have a trial and NOT get the DP.

Now if the others were to go to trial under the DP they would have to have a 12 person jury because only a 12 person jury - all 12 - can give a death sentence.

When the defendant is under the DP they have 2 trials, Guilt Phase and then Penalty Phase. All 12 jurors in the Penalty Phase trial must agree on death for the judge to be able to give that sentence.

2 Cents
I think this crime is so heinous, the prosecution will defer to the wishes of the victims' families about the death penalty.

There is an Oklahoma case currently before the Supreme Court concerning a DP conviction involving a conspiracy to commit murder and that may possibly have a bearing on how the prosecution is handling this case.

JMO

Maybe they still think they can be freed by a jury of their peers? Wonder if they think there are enough "Sovereign Citizen" proponents the state and DA will not be able to find 12 people in the county who will vote to convict them.

Maybe that's why they're being outspoken about it?
I'd bet a jury of all sovereign citizens, or whatever it is that Grice and the Cooks are, would convict them the same as anyone else.

I think this crime is so heinous, the prosecution will defer to the wishes of the victims' families about the death penalty.

There is an Oklahoma case currently before the Supreme Court concerning a DP conviction involving a conspiracy to commit murder and that may possibly have a bearing on how the prosecution is handling this case.

JMO

Cause we screwed up/cheated and tried to take shortcuts. That’s kinda harsh, I’ll rephrase. Cause we made some mistakes

Last edited:
Maybe they still think they can be freed by a jury of their peers? Wonder if they think there are enough "Sovereign Citizen" proponents the state and DA will not be able to find 12 people in the county who will vote to convict them.

Maybe that's why they're being outspoken about it?
If the defendants are so "anti-government" wouldn't jury duty also be considered a form of government?

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member