Olympic gold medal gymnast, Mary Lou Retton, in intensive care battling rare type of pneumonia

During Retton’s “Today” interview, she told Hoda Kotb that insurance was simply too expensive for her, as a recently divorced woman with pre-existing health conditions.

Under the property division accepted by the court, Retton received cash and property worth $1,950,597, as she and Kelley split their assets down the middle after 28 years of marriage.

Not included in that figure were the proceeds from the sale of two houses, one in Houston and the other in Fairmont, West Virginia. Proceeds from the home sales were supposed to be split 50/50. The Daily Mail reported that the Houston home was sold for $800,000, while the West Virginia property — described as a “country home” — sold for $575,000.

Much more at the link. MLR is also set to receive a possible 2 million dollar settlement from the company Biomet from lawsuits over two hip replacements.

The online fundraiser brought in over $458,000. It’s not illegal to ask for money from the public and certainly people can choose to donate or not. Still, given her vast assets and reluctance to answer some questions (according to the article) it’s a bit unsettling that her family solicited funds. MOO

During Retton’s “Today” interview, she told Hoda Kotb that insurance was simply too expensive for her, as a recently divorced woman with pre-existing health conditions.

Under the property division accepted by the court, Retton received cash and property worth $1,950,597, as she and Kelley split their assets down the middle after 28 years of marriage.

Not included in that figure were the proceeds from the sale of two houses, one in Houston and the other in Fairmont, West Virginia. Proceeds from the home sales were supposed to be split 50/50. The Daily Mail reported that the Houston home was sold for $800,000, while the West Virginia property — described as a “country home” — sold for $575,000.

Much more at the link. MLR is also set to receive a possible 2 million dollar settlement from the company Biomet from lawsuits over two hip replacements.

The online fundraiser brought in over $458,000. It’s not illegal to ask for money from the public and certainly people can choose to donate or not. Still, given her vast assets and reluctance to answer some questions (according to the article) it’s a bit unsettling that her family solicited funds. MOO

I actually feel sorry for her because of the way the fundraising was handled, I suspect it has done more harm to her brand or public reputation than she realizes.

If that is the case, she is going to be less in demand as a public speaker and I doubt if there will be another opportunity to crowd fund again without a lot more answers.

I actually feel sorry for her because of the way the fundraising was handled, I suspect it has done more harm to her brand or public reputation than she realizes.

If that is the case, she is going to be less in demand as a public speaker and I doubt if there will be another opportunity to crowd fund again without a lot more answers.
I think the Today Show interview was a huge mistake. As I said earlier, it raised many more questions than answers. I suspect that the interview was carefully crafted to make people feel sorry for MLR rather than delve into the intricacies of her illness and recovery, the lack of health insurance, the need for funds to pay for her hospitalization, etc. MLR has not acknowledged the hospital that treated her or members of the medical team who were responsible for her care. For whatever reason, many of the most logical questions one might ask have yet to be addressed by MLR. There is something about this entire episode that just doesn't sit well with me. I can't help but wonder if contributors to the fund-raising effort now regret their donations. JMO

Last edited:
I did read somewhere why she didn't have health insurance, and it had nothing to do with finances. (If her ex-husband had the means to give her a settlement like that, he could have provided insurance for her as a form of alimony, something I saw more than once in my active practice days.) I'll say why via PM.

I don't doubt that she was sick, and the details are not our business unless she wishes to share them, kind of like the details regarding Kate Middleton's recent health problems.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
catheonlineghost
Back