CANADA ON - Ottawa, WhtMale 2018047905, 30-45, Aug 2018, riding a mountain bike

bombardier

Reaction score
I don't believe this guy has a thread yet!
Canada's Missing | Case details
Discovered on
August 12, 2018
Est. age
30 to 45
Bio group
White
Eye colour
Grey
Hair
Brown, Short
Teeth
Good
Height
165cm / 5 ft 5 in to 185cm / 6 ft 1 in
Weight
95kg / 209lb to 96kg / 212lb
Build
Medium

showImage

The official report is pretty barebones, here's more information. Don't know why the RCMP didn't include this more accurate height/weight.
OPP asks for help to ID cyclist
"The OPP is asking for the public’s help to identify a cyclist injured on Highway 417.
On August 12 at approximately 10 p.m., the unidentified male cyclist sustained injuries on the Queensway at the Pinecrest overpass.
The man is described as white, 25-35 years old, six feet tall, 175 pounds, with short reddish brown hair and a goatee. He was wearing a t-shirt, blue and red shorts with white stripes and black shoes."

WARNING - PHOTO

He also has a non-graphic postmortem photo available, which helps a lot. He looks thinner than the facial recon, and his hair is definitely dark red, not just brown. I'm guessing medical staff quickly shaved his goatee for better suction on a ventilator or smth like that? Notice they also shaved a portion near his hairline, looks like there might be an incision there.
OPP release photo of unidentified man who died after incident on Hwy 417 (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGE)
unidentified-man-on-417.jpg

Here's another height/weight. Was never revealed what caused his death but hit and run sounds very likely...
OPP ask for help ID’ing man who died after found injured on Hwy. 417 - Ottawa | Globalnews.ca
The man, who investigators estimate was between 25 and 35 years old, died of his injuries after being taken to hospital. A witness told police they had seen the man that night riding his mountain bike, which police located on the overpass, Staff Sgt. Bob Wheeler told Global News. The OPP sergeant said police have no evidence indicating the man was hit by a vehicle. Wheeler said he understands the man was found on an on-ramp at the west-end interchange.
...approximately five feet 10 inches in height, weighing 200 pounds...

He looks a lot younger than the recon. He could be from anywhere. It's possible he's from Quebec, it's just a short bike ride across the river.

The image of his shoes look like they are worn but I wonder if it's because he used stirrups when biking. His clothes don't seem to be expensive or particularly old.

We always find it strange when UID's are found with no ID but in reality this poor guy might have just arrived in Ottawa to go to university and was riding around to get his bearings. You'd think if he had an apartment or rental someone would find him missing fairly early.

Do universities check if registered students never show up at all?

Was this a hit and run? Why was he on highway 417? Cyclists aren't allowed on 400 series highways. Was he not aware of that? It might suggest he wasn't from the area. Most Ontarians are aware you cannot ride bikes on 400 series highways.

Last edited:
Here's another height/weight. Was never revealed what caused his death but hit and run sounds very likely...
OPP ask for help ID’ing man who died after found injured on Hwy. 417 - Ottawa | Globalnews.ca
The man, who investigators estimate was between 25 and 35 years old, died of his injuries after being taken to hospital. A witness told police they had seen the man that night riding his mountain bike, which police located on the overpass, Staff Sgt. Bob Wheeler told Global News. The OPP sergeant said police have no evidence indicating the man was hit by a vehicle. Wheeler said he understands the man was found on an on-ramp at the west-end interchange.
...approximately five feet 10 inches in height, weighing 200 pounds...

If his bike was found on the overpass then that means he wasn't on Hwy 417.

He looks a lot younger than the recon. He could be from anywhere. It's possible he's from Quebec, it's just a short bike ride across the river.

The image of his shoes look like they are worn but I wonder if it's because he used stirrups when biking. His clothes don't seem to be expensive or particularly old.

We always find it strange when UID's are found with no ID but in reality this poor guy might have just arrived in Ottawa to go to university and was riding around to get his bearings. You'd think if he had an apartment or rental someone would find him missing fairly early.

Do universities check if registered students never show up at all?

Was this a hit and run? Why was he on highway 417? Cyclists aren't allowed on 400 series highways. Was he not aware of that? It might suggest he wasn't from the area. Most Ontarians are aware you cannot ride bikes on 400 series highways.
good ideas! and i agree, it sounds like PD was implying that he was riding on the overpass, and was hit or somehow fell off his bike to the highway below. Poor guy. Here's a 2019 image of what it looks like from that area of the overpass.
upload_2022-1-3_22-9-43.png

good ideas! and i agree, it sounds like PD was implying that he was riding on the overpass, and was hit or somehow fell off his bike to the highway below. Poor guy. Here's a 2019 image of what it looks like from that area of the overpass.
View attachment 328514

So I'm thinking this guy was riding his bike on the overpass and a vehicle hit him sending him over the railing onto the highway below. Did they take DNA from him or use isotope testing to say he had European ancestry. If it was DNA I'd like to see his admixture.

Louis Garneau bikes aren't currently sold in the US, although their other cycling gear is. That suggests that, if he wasn't Canadian, he probably acquired the bike in Canada. Their bikes are generally mid-range and up in quality. The clothing and shoes aren't bike-specific but he had a cable lock, so he was probably using the bike to get around town. A student sounded like a good guess.

It is a puzzling case. Too old to be a runaway, young enough that you'd typically still be in regular contact with your family, clearly a well-maintained guy judging by his eyebrows and clear skin (meaning I doubt that he's homeless), has a clear picture available online, has a few unique facial traits that someone should recognize (like his small nose), etc etc.
In this day and age, it makes me wonder what a ~30 year old could be going through that no contact for 4 years wouldn't worry anybody. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a transient who just likes well-maintained brows.
I've scoured MP reports from Ontario, Quebec, and New York. I've got nothing tbh

Examining the post mortem photo again, it looked like he groomed his eyebrows. Not a lot of guys do that. His weight was 200 pounds which is a bit higher than the normal weight range for a man 5' 10". Was that extra weight muscle or fat? He doesn't look fat to me, his face and neck don't look like he carried extra weight. I haven't seen eye colour being referenced.

There's no reference to a bike helmet so he probably just rode for convenience to get from point A to point B.

Also, OPP said there was no evidence of a hit and run. I presume that means his bike was not damaged. If he was hit while on the bike there would be different injuries relating to the initial impact then the secondary and perhaps fatal injuries due to falling over the bridge onto the on-ramp.

What concerns me is that the barrier on that overpass is very low, much lower than most overpasses that may have pedestrian traffic. I wonder if he felt more comfortable riding on the road rather than the narrow walkway. You'd be more likely to get hit by a car riding on the road. If I was a tallish person, I'd rather ride on the road instead of looming over a low barrier where I could fall. One of the Google images of Greenbank Rd shows a portable sign showing the on-ramp to the 417 right in the middle of the walkway. It looked temporary but the screen grab was dated later. If something like that happened it would be pretty tragic adding to his not being identified after all this time.

might as well share the only 2 people i found that look passable - neither of these exactly 'hit it out of the park', but i spent hours searching so i need something to show for it :p if any other suggestions please let me know!!
Jesse Leopold - missing from Iowa, 2016, 23 y/o, 6'1", 185lbs. Brown hair hazel eyes.
leopold_jesse5.jpg
leopold_jesse2.jpg

Dario Piquette - missing from Quebec, 2012, 39 y/o, 5'11", 168lbs, brown hair brown eyes. If you look up his name he had some run-in with LE the year prior due to shooting at people on his property.
dario-piquette-200x300.jpg

It is a puzzling case. Too old to be a runaway, young enough that you'd typically still be in regular contact with your family, clearly a well-maintained guy judging by his eyebrows and clear skin (meaning I doubt that he's homeless), has a clear picture available online, has a few unique facial traits that someone should recognize (like his small nose), etc etc.
In this day and age, it makes me wonder what a ~30 year old could be going through that no contact for 4 years wouldn't worry anybody. Maybe I'm wrong and he is a transient who just likes well-maintained brows.
I've scoured MP reports from Ontario, Quebec, and New York. I've got nothing tbh[/QUO
The eyes brows had me as well. They look to me like they had been shaped in the week or so leading up to the accident.

might as well share the only 2 people i found that look passable - neither of these exactly 'hit it out of the park', but i spent hours searching so i need something to show for it :p if any other suggestions please let me know!!
Jesse Leopold - missing from Iowa, 2016, 23 y/o, 6'1", 185lbs. Brown hair hazel eyes.
leopold_jesse5.jpg
leopold_jesse2.jpg

Dario Piquette - missing from Quebec, 2012, 39 y/o, 5'11", 168lbs, brown hair brown eyes. If you look up his name he had some run-in with LE the year prior due to shooting at people on his property.
dario-piquette-200x300.jpg
In Dario image's I wonder if the eyebrows have shaped as well What do others think? But of course Dario went missing years earlier in 2012.

bump
was comparing him to Shaun Ritchie DLC 2014 from Scotland because I found a very useful 3/4 profile online, but I think the bridge of his nose is too strong to be this UID. His case is pretty well known and is largely thought to be foul play as well.
pjimage-323.jpg

Some American guys I can't rule out based on circumstance/photo;
-Elias Jean Pery Jr, DLC 2017 in PA, seems to have purposefully separated from family. Seems this washed out photo is the only one out there.
Original

-Jacob Irvine Lyon, DLC 2016 in FL, has a little scar on left side of chin but we don't get a good enough view of the UIDs left side.
Original

Just reviewing the PM details. He had gray eyes. Less than 3% of the world population has gray eyes; they are the rarest colour. A high percentage of Estonians have gray eyes and people from northern and eastern Europe. Have they run his DNA?

Thinking about the pink cable-lock: Could he have stolen the bike, being under the influence and lost his balance, making him fall down?

Not of much help probably, but he had a scar on his left forearm, 3 centimeters in length.

Last edited:
Just reviewing the PM details. He had gray eyes. Less than 3% of the world population has gray eyes; they are the rarest colour. A high percentage of Estonians have gray eyes and people from northern and eastern Europe. Have they run his DNA?
As per link in post #1, "Biogeographic ancestry testing predicts he was of European ancestry". So, uh, not very specific but yes it has been done!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tattooed_crybaby22
Back