OR OR - Daming Xu, 63, Blue River, 4 Nov 2007

Hestia's Fire

Reaction score
Daming Xu, a 63 year old Asian male, mathematics professor at the University of Oregon, went missing while hiking in the Three Sisters Wilderness, Cougar Reservoir area, in Lane County, Oregon on November 4, 2007. His car was located near Terwilliger Hot Springs.

1674344896461.png
1674344925002.png

trails in that area are extensive, and even though Xu is an experienced hiker, and always takes a trail book with him, his family is worried this time, could be different.

"He is pretty physically fit for 63. I mean he hikes every week, but I don't think he's that savvy when it comes to survival skills because he never has to stay out overnight or anything like that," says Xin.

Two days after Xu went missing, half of his guidebook was found by a hiker, the first (and as far as I am aware, the only clue) to Xu's whereabouts.

The hiker found the book in a drain at French Pete Creek, about seven miles from the Olallie summit where Xu was last seen by a pair of hikers Nov. 4. The paperback book appeared to have been ripped in half and the hiker could only find the first 157 pages.
Lt. Randy Smith at the Lane County Sheriff’s Office said he is “99.9 percent sure” the book was Xu’s. On Nov. 6, when officers found Xu’s car near the trailhead, they found the back half of the same book inside.

Smith said Xu might have been so far from the trailhead because he took a wrong turn and got lost. Had Xu walked along the creek about a mile, he would have reached a paved road.

The sheriff’s office will send a team to search near the creek as soon as the drainage area is cleared.

1674348271955.png
1674348307074.png

''Missing Person / NamUs #MP13485Daming Xu, Male, Asian
Date of Last ContactNovember 4, 2007
Missing FromBlue River, Oregon
Missing Age63 Years
Current Age78 Years

Circumstances​

Date of Last ContactNovember 4, 2007
NamUs Case CreatedDecember 29, 2011

Last Known Location Map

LocationBlue River, Oregon
CountyLane County
Missing From Tribal Land--
Primary Residence on Tribal Land--
Circumstances of DisappearanceLast seen at Olallie summit hiking.''

Circumstance Notes​

Wife reported when Xu did not return by 2am 11/05/2007, after leaving to hike 11/04/2007.''
''Clothing
Black jacket,possibly.''

1674348421018.png

Thank you for adding the additional information! This is the first case I have ever posted, so I was sure I was going to miss important things.

Two days after Xu went missing, half of his guidebook was found by a hiker, the first (and as far as I am aware, the only clue) to Xu's whereabouts.
Hikers deliberately cut up books to save weight. No need to take the whole guidebook when you just need one hike.

I am very familiar with this area.

Hikers deliberately cut up books to save weight. No need to take the whole guidebook when you just need one hike.

I am very familiar with this area.
Right, nothing unusual about only having part of the book with him. I'm just so dismayed no other trace of him has ever been found after all this time. :(

University of Oregon mathematics professor Daming Xu failed to return after walking into the Willamette National Forest nine miles east of Dutton's departure point in November 2007. Xu, in his 50s, was on a day hike carrying a water bottle and guidebook. He wore lightweight clothing despite the lofty 4,500-feet elevation and lateness of the season.

Part of Xu's guidebook was found by another hiker in the French Pete Creek drainage 1 1/2-weeks after he was reported missing. Winter storms forced suspension of the search for him Nov. 18 that year, and nothing more has been seen or heard of him.

"There is a mystery here," says Dutton's mother, Cynthia Boucher, 66, of Vancouver, Wash. "Both Jake and the professor were experienced hikers on wilderness trails. Two grown men can't simply disappear from the mountains five years apart."

Unfortunately, they can.''

Surviving in the backcountry after straying off a trail often is a matter of knowing how to read a map, compass or GPS unit, and many who have those tools aren't proficient with them, said King, whose office in Benton County conducts about 20 searches a year. Many who fail to survive have poor fire-building skills, are unable to keep warm and dry and didn't bring extra food and water, she said.

Jude McHugh, spokeswoman for the Willamette National Forest, said dense, coastal type rain forest covers much of the terrain where she works, raising the odds that a hiker or backpacker might wander off an established trail. If that happens, the foliage can mask steep drop-offs and cause fatal falls, she said.

People disappear for a lot of reasons, says McHugh.

"Some probably go missing on purpose, some by accident," she said. "Some go to a beautiful spot to take their own lives."

University of Oregon mathematics professor Daming Xu failed to return after walking into the Willamette National Forest nine miles east of Dutton's departure point in November 2007. Xu, in his 50s, was on a day hike carrying a water bottle and guidebook. He wore lightweight clothing despite the lofty 4,500-feet elevation and lateness of the season.

Part of Xu's guidebook was found by another hiker in the French Pete Creek drainage 1 1/2-weeks after he was reported missing. Winter storms forced suspension of the search for him Nov. 18 that year, and nothing more has been seen or heard of him.

"There is a mystery here," says Dutton's mother, Cynthia Boucher, 66, of Vancouver, Wash. "Both Jake and the professor were experienced hikers on wilderness trails. Two grown men can't simply disappear from the mountains five years apart."

Unfortunately, they can.''

Surviving in the backcountry after straying off a trail often is a matter of knowing how to read a map, compass or GPS unit, and many who have those tools aren't proficient with them, said King, whose office in Benton County conducts about 20 searches a year. Many who fail to survive have poor fire-building skills, are unable to keep warm and dry and didn't bring extra food and water, she said.

Jude McHugh, spokeswoman for the Willamette National Forest, said dense, coastal type rain forest covers much of the terrain where she works, raising the odds that a hiker or backpacker might wander off an established trail. If that happens, the foliage can mask steep drop-offs and cause fatal falls, she said.

People disappear for a lot of reasons, says McHugh.

"Some probably go missing on purpose, some by accident," she said. "Some go to a beautiful spot to take their own lives."
I'm glad the USFS spokesperson made clear that there's nothing unusual about this case! November is verging on winter, a time when it's absolutely crucial you wear appropriate clothing, take food, water, survival gear and extra clothing if you're a Cascades hiker and know how to use it. PLB's weren't as common in those days, but some sort of locator would be de rigueur now, even if just an iphone14 (which has a basic satellite SOS).

FWIW Jake Dutton's remains were found near the French Pete trail around 4 years after he disappeared.

FWIW I got my first exposure to serious hiking in this area of the Cascades with a well-established hiking club with older folks' who'd been hiking for decades. They knew what to take! The Mountaineers (Seattle hiking club) enshrined it in the "10 Essentials".

Last edited:
I'm glad the USFS spokesperson made clear that there's nothing unusual about this case! November is verging on winter, a time when it's absolutely crucial you wear appropriate clothing, take food, water, survival gear and extra clothing if you're a Cascades hiker and know how to use it. PLB's weren't as common in those days, but some sort of locator would be de rigueur now, even if just an iphone14 (which has a basic satellite SOS).

FWIW Jake Dutton's remains were found near the French Pete trail around 4 years after he disappeared.

FWIW I got my first exposure to serious hiking in this area of the Cascades with a well-established hiking club with older folks' who'd been hiking for decades. They knew what to take! The Mountaineers (Seattle hiking club) enshrined it in the "10 Essentials".
rbbm 2013
Dutton had plans to return to his truck June 18, according to the trailhead pass he signed.

He was never seen again.

As Oregonians begin heading for the trails this summer, Dutton's disappearance a year ago is one reminder of the risks.

A staggering 189 men and 51 women officially remain listed as missing since 1997 by the Oregon Office of Emergency Management after trekking into Oregon's wildest places, said Georges Kleinbaum, search and rescue coordinator for the office.

"It only takes a mile before you get totally turned around and don't know which way to go," said Kleinbaum, adding that 1,036 search and rescue missions were conducted across Oregon last year.

While more than 89 percent of those sought by searchers are recovered alive, the consequences of getting lost can be dire. Eight percent die, and 2 percent are never found, said Kleinbaum.''

"Often, we find hunters who had a map and compass with them, but we find them deceased in the woods," said Mary King, emergency services coordinator for the Benton County Sheriff's Office. "That's not rare."

rbbm 2013
Dutton had plans to return to his truck June 18, according to the trailhead pass he signed.

He was never seen again.

As Oregonians begin heading for the trails this summer, Dutton's disappearance a year ago is one reminder of the risks.

A staggering 189 men and 51 women officially remain listed as missing since 1997 by the Oregon Office of Emergency Management after trekking into Oregon's wildest places, said Georges Kleinbaum, search and rescue coordinator for the office.

"It only takes a mile before you get totally turned around and don't know which way to go," said Kleinbaum, adding that 1,036 search and rescue missions were conducted across Oregon last year.

While more than 89 percent of those sought by searchers are recovered alive, the consequences of getting lost can be dire. Eight percent die, and 2 percent are never found, said Kleinbaum.''

"Often, we find hunters who had a map and compass with them, but we find them deceased in the woods," said Mary King, emergency services coordinator for the Benton County Sheriff's Office. "That's not rare."
IIRC Jake Dutton was found with his pack, sitting just off trail in the French Pete Wilderness. I would guess he got too hypothermic to set up shelter; this was close to happening to me once.

I stepped into French Pete Wilderness once, and backed off. It was primeval and dense. The trail was lovely under foot, but I was intimidated by the remoteness of it (and it isn't really that remote, as Oregon goes).

FWIW, I like Sullivan's hiking guides for the Cascades, but they are no substitutes for paper maps. The diagram ^^^ is the illustration for a 10-mile or so hike up Ollalie: completely inadequate for wayfinding, since there's no way to tell what the terrain is when you need to make crucial turns or even where you are exactly. Maps should be detailed (most often, USGS-based). You take the guidebook (or pages), a paper map, and a compass.

SAR callouts in Oregon escalated dramatically during COVID, so they will be much higher than in 2013. To address this nationwide (and internationally), there are newish initiatives called "Recreate Responsibly", and "Hike Smart". The National Park Service also stations trail volunteers (some with Bark Rangers--dog volunteers who model dog etiquette) at some trails and trailheads, to ease the pressure on SAR volunteers (who are rapidly getting burned out; consider running up and down the Grand Canyon several times a weekend). NPS Trail Volunteers can eyeball if visitors are carrying water, wearing appropriate footwear, are aware of conditions, etc.

Last edited:

Xu was last seen in Blue River, Oregon on November 4, 2007. He went to the Three Sisters Wilderness area for a day hike, summiting Olallie Mountain. A couple who were also hiking encountered him at the mountain peak at about 1:30 p.m.; they said he spent only a few minutes before turning around and descending, apparently in a hurry. He never returned home and has never been heard from again.

His white 2003 Chevrolet Impala with the Oregon license plate number XVH 416 was found parked on Bear Flats near Terwilliger Hot Springs at the Olallie trailhead on November 6. Inside it was Xu's cellular phone, his heavier jacket, and part of a hiking book, 100 Hikes in the Central Oregon Cascades. The other half, which included the trail map for the route Xu planned to take, was found in the woods in the French Pete Creek drainage area on November 15.

Authorities believe Xu got lost or injured in the wilderness. He and his wife were avid hikers and he was very physically fit for his age. His case remains unsolved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back