OR OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

Can you add that pic in such a way it's clickable so I can look at it larger, please? Since there are different ways of adding pics here, the way I've done it that I know allows it to be clickable so it opens larger, is I paste a SS using my computer's clip feature, and paste it directly in the body of the post.
I copied and pasted from the blog to the post on my IPhone. It's a super small image in the blog as well.

This picture, I believe was taken at the memorial. 9/14/2008. By that time ten days later, much of the remains of the cabin had been sifted through by his family so the woodstove had probably been moved. I was surprised by the things that made it through the fire like an enameled tin camp cup that was in better shape than the enameled cast iron bathtub.
If that's the case I'm apt to think someone sifting through the site put the axe where it is seen in the pic, likely to make sure no one stepped on it.

If that's the case I'm apt to think someone sifting through the site put the axe where it is seen in the pic, likely to make sure no one stepped on it.
Do you have a link to the pic? Perhaps there's a way for me to see it larger over there. Always worth a try. TIA

From Red Clover’s post #449:

I found the post referencing a 4th fire!!

A "barn" near Emigrant Lake.

Could the killer have hidden out in an old barn and burned it down when they left?

Someone was savvy about setting fires in order to destroy evidence.

Post in thread 'OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008'
OR - OR - David 'Dave' Lewis, 46, Ashland, 4 September 2008

*EBM to add references to the original post
———————————-
This info about a barn fire is from a blog, whereas this post of Red Clover’s from November indicates that the 4th fire was in 2012, about four years after the three fires in 2008.

Until @Sleuth2010 posts an MSM (not blog) link to information about an arson barn fire near Emigrant Lake in close time proximity to the other three fires, I don’t think we have any reason to say that there were four arson fires in connection with Dave’s and Troy’s deaths. I’m also still interested to hear more about the “death threats” @Sleuth2010 said that Dave received.

JMO
This is the post that refers to a 4th fire-- I have not seen reference to a 4th fire on the blog, this is new information (to me) in the last month or two. I would also like to know more about the death threats.

Do you have a link to the pic? Perhaps there's a way for me to see it larger over there. Always worth a try. TIA
It's a tiny image on this link

This is the post that refers to a 4th fire-- I have not seen reference to a 4th fire on the blog, this is new information (to me) in the last month or two. I would also like to know more about the death threats.

My mistake about the fourth (“barn”) fire being referenced on a blog. I was reading too many things at once! :) But I do think it needs to be discounted as relevant until @Sleuth2010 provides more info, especially date and place.

Captured July 4, 2015
Thank goodness for the Wayback Machine archives, right?

David Edwin Lewis.

On September 4th, 2008, two suspicious deaths were reported. After a preliminary investigation, both deaths were determined to be homicides.

In the early morning hours of September 4th, 2008, two separate structure fires were reported on Dead Indian Memorial Road. The first was a seasonal cabin, located at # 18196 Dead Indian Memorial Road, Keno Quarry swim-hole vicinity. The entire cabin burned and the cause of the fire was determined to be arson.

Within an hour of the first reported fire, a second fire was reported at the summit, #12801 Dead Indian Memorial Road, the residence of David Lewis, date of birth 12/23/61.

David Lewis’ remains were found within the burned, historical structure and further investigation revealed that Lewis died as a result of homicidal violence. The cause of the fire to Lewis’ residence was also determined to be quick-burning arson.

He was a long-time resident of Ashland, Oregon and well loved in the Howard Prairie - Hyatt lake community.

A truck lumper, date of birth 08/26/64, was found deceased on September 4th, 2008 in his campsite on the Bear Creek Greenway. Investigators determined that he died as a result of being shot with a firearm.

He returned to Jackson County, Oregon in July of 2008 after an approximately 10 year absence. He was a truck lumper and was camping on the Bear Creek Greenway just south of Central Point (He frequented the Central Point Pilot Truck Stop).

Through the course of the investigation, an evidential link between the two homicides was discovered.

Both of these homicide cases are open and considered cold-cases.

The Lewis' and some law officials are requesting assistance from the media and the public to provide further information which links David Lewis and the lumper through known associates or other means.

Anyone with any information is asked to please call

Crime Stoppers 1-800-850-0580 or 503-823-HELP .

You can make a difference in your community.

And you can remain anonymous if you want to.
Troy Dean Carney is the "truck lumper" being described below

A truck lumper, date of birth 08/26/64, was found deceased on September 4th, 2008 in his campsite on the Bear Creek Greenway. Investigators determined that he died as a result of being shot with a firearm.

AFAIK, LE has been unable to establish any known connection in life between Troy & Dave.

Troy's mom has been emphatic on Troy's thread that they did not know one another or any of the same people.

The Lewis' and some law officials are requesting assistance from the media and the public to provide further information which links David Lewis and the lumper through known associates or other means.

The name of the road
"Dead Indian Memorial"
sounds so scary to me :oops:
It's awful, IMO and that of many others, it should have been changed long ago.

Dave and others that lived "on the mountain" would say that they lived "on the Indian"

Other place names in the immediate area have now been changed to "Latgawa" (creek, springs, etc) to reflect one of the indigenous peoples in this area of southern Oregon.

EBM for clarity?

The name of the road
"Dead Indian Memorial"
sounds so scary to me :oops:

When we moved to the area almost 40 years ago, it was still called “Dead Indian Road,” which appalled me. I was somewhat relieved when it was renamed with ”Memorial” inserted, although I would have preferred an entirely new name. But I suppose the name at least keeps us from forgetting the shameful treatment of the Native tribes in the Rogue Valley.

Here’s the history of the road…FWIW:

<modsnip: veering off topic>

Last edited by a moderator:
Who took this picture??!!
Firefighters?! Law enforcement? Reporter? Killer???!!!

View attachment 471100

View attachment 471101

Channel 5, KOBI. On site after Station 5 call out.
Greensprings Volunteers first there, waterless, pumped out h2o at 18196 cabin arson. Keno cabin. Next to Nygren land.
Ask the guys at Hyatt Lake.

Justice 4 Dave Lewis 2024 year of arrests, new District Attorney, new investigators.

The scene of the fire photo looks larger than what I figured Dave’s cabin to be. Is that an electrical pole on the left?Somehow I had the impression there was no electricity at Dave‘s cabin. @Sleuth2010 @Red Clover Thoughts?
It's a chimney in the kitchen, it divided the living room from the kitchen.
EBM TO ADD: There was no electricity. He did have running water from a spring.

Attachments

• IMG_0854.jpeg
    IMG_0854.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Patrick Green is running for DA in Jackson County in 2024. I'll be curious to see who else may be running.

Current District Attorney Beth Heckert was elected as Jackson County District Attorney in 2012. The Release from the “Committee to Elect Patrick Green as Jackson County District Attorney” says that Heckert has endorsed his candidacy.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tnt328
Back