Found Deceased OR - Dennis Day, 76, former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, Jackson Co, 15 July 2018 *Arrest*

Well it is next month - and going thru some oldies - @PayrollNerd - only when you have time to look! :)

19CR44452 | State of Oregon vs Daniel James Burda

No changes that I can see.
  • 01/18/2024 Hearing - Trial Readiness
    Judicial Officer Ravassipour, Kelly W
    Hearing Time 10:30 AM
  • 01/22/2024 Trial - Twelve Person Jury
    Hearing Time 9:00 AM
    Comment 5 days

19CR44452 | State of Oregon vs Daniel James Burda

No changes that I can see.
  • 01/18/2024 Hearing - Trial Readiness
    Hearing Time 10:30 AM
  • 01/22/2024 Trial - Twelve Person Jury
    Hearing Time 9:00 AM
    Comment 5 days

Okay - I shall just go ahead & put him in January. Guess they are skipping summer & than the holidays....

Coming up on 5 years since Dennis was reported missing......

@PayrollNerd tried to access the court site, but it won't let me - just wanted to check to see if trial is still on for 1/22/24. And anything updated for Declusin?

Thursday, January 18th:
*Trial Readiness Hearing (@ 10:30am PT) - OR – Dennis W. Day (76) (former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, missing July 15, 2018, found April 4, 2019, ID’ed Jun 6, 2019) - *Daniel James Burda (36/now 40) arrested & charged (7/5/19) & arraigned (7/17/19) with 2nd degree manslaughter, 2nd degree criminal negligent homicide, 2nd degree abuse of a corpse, 1st degree criminal mistreatment, 7 counts of aggravated identity theft, fraudulent use of credit card & 2nd degree theft. Plead not guilty. $150K Bond. Released on 7/15/20. But wound up back behind bars after he was convicted of 3rd degree robbery in Jackson County & imprisoned at the Columbia River Correctional Institution on Feb. 9, 2021.
Was handyman for Day. Day’s car found 200 miles away on Oregon coast on 7/26/19. Day’s partner Caswell died in Sept., 2019.
Trial set to begin on 1/22/24. (5 days)
Judge Kelly Ravassipour. Defense attorney Christine Kuntas Herbert.

Court info from 7/5/19 thru 11/3/22 reference post #382 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...jackson-co-15-july-2018-arrest.408040/page-20

2/6/23 Update: Hearing was held Judge Kelly W. Ravassipour presiding. Defendant present with court appointed attorney Christine Kantas Herbert. Next pretrial conference hearing on 2/21/23 re new proceeding. Trial readiness hearing on 1/18/24 @ 10:30am & trial starts on 1/22/24 @ 9am & will last 5 days.
3/22/23: Letter forward to defense attorney. Next trial Readiness hearing on 1/18/24 @ 10:30am.
*Wanda Diane Garcia (57/now 60) – 6/1/22: Plead guilty. Disposition: Unauthorized use of a vehicle-convicted & theft in the first degree-dismissed. Probation supervised duration 18 months. Failure to appear for warrant.
*Lori Ann Declusin – Pretrial hearing on 8/6/19 Jackson County: Failed to appear warrant issued. Next arraignment hearing Douglas County on 8/29/19. Failed to appear. Next Jackson County hearing on 9/17/19: Failed to appear-FTA warrant issued. 9/30/19: Jackson County: Failed to appear-Warrant out. 11/1/19 Update: Douglas County: Indictment & arrest warrant filed. She is wanted as a witness in Burda’s trial, according to filings by the Jackson County District Attorney’s Office. 11/5/19: $10K warrant out for her arrest.
For more info thru 1/17/21 update see post #382 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...jackson-co-15-july-2018-arrest.408040/page-20

Bad news about the trial. Postponed because a lawyer has pulled out.

The trial was supposed to start in January, but Day’s niece said they will have to wait until next year to schedule it.

Norris said, “right in the fourth quarter, they pull out of co-council. We’re starting to lose faith in the justice system, it’s really aggravating.”

I haven’t found anything about Lori Ann Declusin. Interestingly, my Google search turned up a woman with the same exact name, age and looks who walked away from a correctional facility in AK in 2021. She was caught. I’ve tried to find a connection and further info, but haven’t so far. It’s really weird though.

The trial was supposed to start in January, but Day’s niece said they will have to wait until next year to schedule it.

Norris said, “right in the fourth quarter, they pull out of co-council. We’re starting to lose faith in the justice system, it’s really aggravating.”

well dang... I wonder if today's hearing will be about his new attorney. I noticed the article did not give his name.
I guess I will have to wait until @PayrollNerd sees this... :)

Thank you for the update on the trial @Lilibet

Monday, January 22nd:
*Trial set to begin with Pretrial Conference Hearing (@ 9am PT) - OR – Dennis W. Day (76) (former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, missing July 15, 2018, found April 4, 2019, ID’ed Jun 6, 2019) - *Daniel James Burda (36/now 40) arrested & charged (7/5/19) & arraigned (7/17/19) with 2nd degree manslaughter, 2nd degree criminal negligent homicide, 2nd degree abuse of a corpse, 1st degree criminal mistreatment, 7 counts of aggravated identity theft, fraudulent use of credit card & 2nd degree theft. Plead not guilty. $150K Bond. Released on 7/15/20. But wound up back behind bars after he was convicted of 3rd degree robbery in Jackson County & imprisoned at the Columbia River Correctional Institution on Feb. 9, 2021.
Was handyman for Day. Day’s car found 200 miles away on Oregon coast on 7/26/19. Day’s partner Caswell died in Sept., 2019.
Trial set to begin on 1/22/24. (5 days)
Judge Kelly Ravassipour. Prosecutor Deputy DA Michael Cohen. Lead attorneys Michael McClelland Cohen & Christine Kantas Herbert & court appointed Justina E. Lara.

Court info from 7/5/19 thru 2/6/23 reference post #404 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...jackson-co-15-july-2018-arrest.408040/page-21

3/22/23: Letter forward to defense attorney. Next trial Readiness hearing on 1/18/24 @ 10:30am. 12/22/23 Update: Burda was scheduled to go to trial next month, but that is now delayed because one of Burda’s attorneys is withdrawing from the case. Jackson County Deputy District Attorney Michael Cohen took over the case in 2022.
1/18/24 Update: Judge Kelly W. Ravassipour presiding trial readiness hearing was cancelled for new proceeding. Next pretrial conference hearing & 12 person jury selection on 1/22/24 @ 9am.
*Wanda Diane Garcia (57/now 60) – 6/1/22: Plead guilty. Disposition: Unauthorized use of a vehicle-convicted & theft in the first degree-dismissed. Probation supervised duration 18 months. Failure to appear for warrant.
*Lori Ann Declusin – Pretrial hearing on 8/6/19 Jackson County: Failed to appear warrant issued. Next arraignment hearing Douglas County on 8/29/19. Failed to appear. Next Jackson County hearing on 9/17/19: Failed to appear-FTA warrant issued. 9/30/19: Jackson County: Failed to appear-Warrant out. 11/1/19 Update: Douglas County: Indictment & arrest warrant filed. She is wanted as a witness in Burda’s trial, according to filings by the Jackson County District Attorney’s Office. 11/5/19: $10K warrant out for her arrest.
For more info thru 1/17/21 update see post #382 here:
No update in court site as of 5/31/23.

Not coming up ANY articles on this.... so will continue posting - maybe @PayrollNerd has a court update?

Tuesday, January 23rd:
*Trial continues (Day 2) (@ 9am PT) - OR – Dennis W. Day (76) (former original Disney Mouseketeer, Phoenix, missing July 15, 2018, found April 4, 2019, ID’ed Jun 6, 2019) - *Daniel James Burda (36/now 40) arrested & charged (7/5/19) & arraigned (7/17/19) with 2nd degree manslaughter, 2nd degree criminal negligent homicide, 2nd degree abuse of a corpse, 1st degree criminal mistreatment, 7 counts of aggravated identity theft, fraudulent use of credit card & 2nd degree theft. Plead not guilty. $150K Bond. Released on 7/15/20. But wound up back behind bars after he was convicted of 3rd degree robbery in Jackson County & imprisoned at the Columbia River Correctional Institution on Feb. 9, 2021.
Trial began on 1/22/24. (5 days)
Judge Kelly Ravassipour. Prosecutor Deputy DA Michael Cohen. Lead attorneys Michael McClelland Cohen & Christine Kantas Herbert & court appointed Justina E. Lara.

Court info from 7/5/19 thru 1/18/24 reference post #413 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...jackson-co-15-july-2018-arrest.408040/page-21

1/22/24 Monday, Trial Day 1: Pretrial hearing? No info available on trial. Trial continues on Tuesday, 1/23/24.

I wonder why the article I posted from December said an attorney withdrew so that the trial would be postponed but you’re seeing a trial on the court calendar. Very strange.

I wonder why the article I posted from December said an attorney withdrew so that the trial would be postponed but you’re seeing a trial on the court calendar. Very strange.

I noticed that too - could be Judge denied withdrawal of attorney since it was so close to trial... just a guess!

I'm glad the trial appears to be going forward. I hadn't heard some of the details in the article and video @Lilibet posted above.

I can't believe that Burda shoved Dennis to the ground and then left him there; basically ignored him (until he died!), then telling people that were concerned including the police that he had walked off and was supposedly going to a friend's house.

HE KNEW DENNIS WAS LYING THERE. Did Burda cover him with the pile of clothes before or after he had passed??

Neighbors reported smells coming from the property for MONTHS. Police said they had searched the house, that's what they told the family, they told the family they had brought in a canine when they in fact had not.

City of Phoenix Oregon Police failed Ernie and Dennis' family. The family had to find out months after he went missing by hearing it on the news.

I live in the same county as Dennis & Ernie did and I can honestly say that this case made me view local LE quite differently.

I expect Burda to be convicted, but I want the family to win that civil case against Phoenix and the officer.

Local LE LIED to Dennis' family, and I assume to Ernie, his husband as well. This case makes me mad, maybe because I had met D & E many years ago when I worked at a little store that they delivered their products to. They had a preserve business "Creature Comfits"

Edited to add: IMOO

✌️

Last edited:
I love this picture of Dennis, he was a genuine character with a genuine *spark*

It was during the Great Dickens Christmas Fair, an annual festival filled with costumed characters set in Victorian London, that he met the love of his life.

Mouseketeer Dennis Day at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair.

Mouseketeer Dennis Day at the Great Dickens Christmas Fair. Date unknown.Courtesy of Rosanne Reynolds / "Help Us Find Dennis Day"

Henry “Ernie” Caswell had several inches and nearly a dozen years on Day. He spoke five languages and managed performers. He also was a priest within the Christ Catholic Church, a small denomination that merged independent Catholic and Eastern Orthodox traditions in the U.S.

After several years together, Day and Caswell left in the 1980s for southern Oregon, which was more affordable. They lived in trendy Ashland for a while but eventually settled down nearby in Phoenix, a much less fashionable town of 4,500 people just south of Medford.

The men earned a modest living making wine jellies, jams and chutneys at their home on North Pine Street near the middle of the city. They married in 2013.

Day also worked at the Harry & David plant in Medford packaging the company’s popular gift baskets and loved to frequent rummage sales on the weekends. Caswell sang in the Rogue Valley Gay Men’s Chorus.

For years, the two volunteered on political campaigns and championed progressive causes. That’s how they first met Pederson, 62, who would become one the couple’s closet companions.

The longtime friend recalled how Day and Caswell’s vibrant personalities stood out. They loved going to Home Town Buffet, an all-you-can-eat chain, clad in the most elaborate attire they could find.

Caswell, over 6-feet-tall and close to 300 pounds, was fond of a red velvet fedora with a leopard-print band. Day, who reminded Pederson of a playful leprechaun, loved flashy jackets, men’s and women’s alike.
❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Attachments

• 1706064864449.png
    1706064864449.png
    728.9 KB · Views: 0

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads