Found Deceased OR - Matthew Lang, 33, Bend, 27 Oct 2020 *car found badly crashed*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
The river is absolutely too far from the road for a body to be thrown there by any kind of auto accident short of a 140+ mph rollover that would disintegrate the car especially considering it would have to clear dense woods.

I am confident that if the crash investigators have determined Matthew kicked the window out after the accident that there is indeed solid evidence of that and he was not ejected. Other elements of the crash report are worded carefully enough that it seems to have been prepared professionally.

I can certainly imagine foul play in this scenario so far. Perhaps Matthew was being pursued and lost control of his car then was dragged to the river. However there have been other cases where people have suffered skull fractures or other head injuries and engaged in inexplicable behavior before dying. I remember a guy checking himself out of the hospital and disappearing on for only four hours body to be found months later and another woman who left the scene of a one car accident and was found dead in a back yard hot tub.

This one will be much clearer when a medical examiner's report comes out.

If he wasn't thrown from the vehicle, kicked the door out from inside and was conscious for this, was perhaps his clothing...on fire? Did he try to get to the water to extinguish the flames? It's also not hard for me to imagine him being extremely disoriented after a collision that had that force of impact, and just doing whatever he could to get away from the wreckage. Neither scenario are a pleasant way to imagine how things ended.

I was ejected from a car once in a rollover accident. I literally stumbled around, bleeding, entirely confused and had no idea what happened (even though the wreckage was visible) I just started picking up books and random things that had flown out of the car, between picking glass out of my scalp, it wasn't until several minutes later I said out loud and realized "I was in a car accident". And realized I was talking to someone who stopped. I didn't even know they were there. It was a STRANGE feeling. I didn't realize I was injured or what I was doing. It was just shock. I wouldn't for a second doubt doing things out of the usual in that situation, especially if someone didn't come to your aid right away. Like taking off your sweatshirt or wallet. But that's just my experience and opinion.

I was ejected from a car once in a rollover accident. I literally stumbled around, bleeding, entirely confused and had no idea what happened (even though the wreckage was visible) I just started picking up books and random things that had flown out of the car, between picking glass out of my scalp, it wasn't until several minutes later I said out loud and realized "I was in a car accident". And realized I was talking to someone who stopped. I didn't even know they were there. It was a STRANGE feeling. I didn't realize I was injured or what I was doing. It was just shock. I wouldn't for a second doubt doing things out of the usual in that situation, especially if someone didn't come to your aid right away. Like taking off your sweatshirt or wallet. But that's just my experience and opinion.

Thanks for sharing your experience @Carja7. It helps to understand what may have happened to Matt. I’m so glad you survived!

Wow that is so scary! Like others, I’m so glad you survived that crash!
This is what I imagine could have happened. The sweatshirt they found apparently was full of broken glass so that’s probably why he took it off. I have no doubt he could have stumbled all the way to the river before succumbing to his injuries. :(

I really feel for Matthew's parents; I understand why you'd want to consider all possibilities and want something more...concrete and solveable than an accident to blame for your son's death, but I as well really doubt foul play (he's being pursued, gets severely injured in a wreck, and instead of hurting him at the scene, another person walks him down the other steep embankment and drowns him?) or suicide (I have never heard a case where someone attempts suicide, it doesn't work, and they immediately try something else) until other evidence is released.
I don't know why Matthew would logically go over the embankment but like other posters have said, head injuries really mess with 'logic' and the shock and trauma of a crash can also affect decision-making (thank you for your great anecdote, Carja7!).
Another possibility I want to bring up is that Matthew might have thought their would be lakeside properties down by the lake, or heard/saw boaters in the lake (october in OR is still warm enough to boat I think? there are multiple boats on Google Satellite View), and decided to go down to look for help.
Across the road from where his car was according to post #39, you can see the start of a trail. I don't think this trail goes down to the lake from what I can see, but there might be little mini trails that diverge off that people have taken down to the water. If people think it's very unlikely that Matthew would have hopped the railing directly into a steep drop, it might be more likely that he hopped the railing in order to 'follow' this trail down to the water to find help, as it does look like the trail would lead somewhere purposeful.
upload_2020-11-27_12-48-15.png

I still wondering why the first car who spotted his wreck at 6 AM didn’t call it in to LE so they could check. This lake isn’t right off the road! It’s a very steep decline! I don’t think anyone would try to walk in that direction, on their own, for assistance. However, if he had a head injury and was very disoriented maybe this could happen.

I still wondering why the first car who spotted his wreck at 6 AM didn’t call it in to LE so they could check. This lake isn’t right off the road! It’s a very steep decline! I don’t think anyone would try to walk in that direction, on their own, for assistance. However, if he had a head injury and was very disoriented maybe this could happen.

This is what I'm still stuck on. Why on EARTH wasn't a crashed car reported? Who knows if it would have made a difference or not, but now we'll never know.

OSP confirms Matthew Lang who had been missing since October 25 was found deceased

Nov 20, 2020

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. — Updated Nov 20
The Oregon State Police confirmed that 33-year-old Matthew Lang from Bend was found deceased on Tuesday, Nov 17.

"A Jackson County Sheriff Deputy located a body in the river several hundred yards from the crash site," OSP said in a press release. "The Oregon State Police Medical Examiners office has confirmed the body is that of Matthew Lang."

The state police would not release any more information on where Lang was found or what the circumstances were behind his death.

[..]

“People don’t just disappear, they don’t! He spoke to his girlfriend and his coworker Josh on Monday, he went to work on Monday, then we have no idea where he went, the police have his phone but they aren’t convinced this is a crime, so they can’t get a warrant to get into his phone to find out where he was,” Diane [his mother] said. during an interview on Nov5

[..]

On Nov 5, Diana expressed her gratitude to the residents of Prospect who have been helpful in the search for her son.

“They have allowed my husband, my son Christian, his friends and our family to search their properties adjacent to the crash site, they have helped them search, very kind people, they have just stood beside us,” Diane said as tears streamed down her face.

Bend man, missing after Jackson County crash, found dead
"A statement from OSP said that a Jackson County Sheriff's deputy found Lang's body in the river on Tuesday, a few hundred yards from the crash site. The OSP Medical Examiner's Office later confirmed that it was Lang's body."

He was found just a few hundred yards from the crash site. I'd put the odds at 99.9% repeating that this is an accident. If it was foul play, they somehow caused him to have a serious automobile accident...then murdered him, then dumped him just a few hundred yards away? There's just no way.

I also believe this was a tragic accident.

Missing Texas student Jason Landry case brought me here. Very similar circumstances -- crashed, abandoned vehicle and the accident victim is still missing since 12/14. His phone located inside the vehicle and his backpack with his wallet found outside on the road about 100 feet from the crash scene.

From what I've read here, one of the last MSM comments reported from Lang's mom was police could not get a warrant for his phone because of no evidence of a crime.

The crash also described by OR State Patrol as a single-car roll-over, and investigators would have been able to determine if another vehicle involved and/or if he was forced off the road.

After suspending the search for TX Landry, spokesperson for SAR's stated they are 60-70% confident of their 16-day search efforts. That tells me there's a 30-40% chance a victim will be missed by SAR for whatever reason.

I think Lang's body was in the river and a month later floated to the top and/or became visible. For the sake of Lang's family and friends, I'm so pleased that he was recovered. Not knowing would be pure agony.

You would think the next of kin would be able to consent for the phone to be searched.

Many years ago, Dad would not let us leave for university without two things -- a signed power of attorney and evidence we could change a flat tire. My siblings and I have carried on the tradition with our own. If COVID (and WS missing persons) has taught us anything, it's that you're never too young to need or give legal authority to somebody you trust. Without a warrant to obtain information, next of kin means nothing to banks, Apple, FB, mobile carriers, or even HIPAA.

Update: body of missing man Matthew Lang found - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2

JACKSON COUNTY, Ore. — The body of a man who went missing after his crashed vehicle was found near Lost Creek Lake has been found.

Oregon State Police said at about 5:30 p.m. on Tuesday, October 27, first responders found a rolled-over Ford Explorer without anyone inside along Highway 62 near the bridge over Lost Creek Lake.

Investigators believed 33-year-old Matthew Lang of Bend was the driver of the vehicle. However, he wasn’t found and didn’t have any contact with friends or family since the crash.

Jackson County Search and Rescue actively searched for Lang until his body was found on November 17 in a river several hundred yards away from his vehicle.

Oregon State Police provided no further information about Lang’s death.

Bend man missing after rollover crash near Lost Creek Lake

[..]

Oregon State Police is asking for tips to find a missing Bend man after finding his SUV wrecked Tuesday evening after a rollover crash between Shady Cove and Prospect.

Matthew Lang, 33, of Bend, is missing following a crash reported shortly after 5:30 p.m. Tuesday on Highway 62 near milepost 37 — just north of Lost Creek Lake — according to an OSP press release issued Wednesday.

Police say they found Lang’s 2004 Ford Explorer badly damaged, but with no occupants, and Lang’s friends and family have not heard from him.

There was a rock slide earlier in the year on OR Hwy 62 near milepost 37 and the bridge over Lost Creek where Lang's Ford Explorer crashed. The NBC/16 news link below has a couple of videos and good still photos of this area of the highway for visualization.

Although it was reported that Lang was last seen the evening of 11/26, and the OR State Trooper not on the crash scene until 5:30 pm 11/27, it's not clear from MSM what time the crash allegedly occurred. I'm also not giving much credit to reports the crash was seen at 6 AM and not reported without any credible MSM reference. People are known to interject themselves in news stories all the time.

The canyon highway can be slick and unforgiving to one trying to avoid a deer at any hour. Also, since it seems most of this case thread was only by FB, making it difficult if you don't partake in FB, I'm adding the link for others without FB to visualize the reported area.

1 hospitalized in rock slide, Crater Lake Highway closed near Prospect

Many years ago, Dad would not let us leave for university without two things -- a signed power of attorney and evidence we could change a flat tire. My siblings and I have carried on the tradition with our own. If COVID (and WS missing persons) has taught us anything, it's that you're never too young to need or give legal authority to somebody you trust. Without a warrant to obtain information, next of kin means nothing to banks, Apple, FB, mobile carriers, or even HIPAA.
Next of kin should be able to sue for physical possession of the phone but it might have to go through probate. If the phone is locked with an unknown passcode I suppose the carriers may claim that their contract was only with the deceased and does not transfer like possessions. They may even have a claim for the phone itself if it was "leased". Cell phone companies have really gotten us over a barrel with this kind of stuff lately, I'm glad that ISPs don't have the same business models or not to the same extent anyway.

Is the MCS with the OSP still working this case?

If so, the phone could be held pending the investigation...IMO.

If there was no investigation and the matter ruled an accident, the phone would be returned to the family...IMO.

Is the MCS with the OSP still working this case?

If so, the phone could be held pending the investigation...IMO.

If there was no investigation and the matter ruled an accident, the phone would be returned to the family...IMO.
It sounds like the police aren't satisfied enough that it was an accident to release the phone but the judge isn't convinced there is sufficient grounds to issue a warrant to search it. It's likely that it's locked.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mydermarie26
Back