OR OR - Pem Michelle Yates-Briggs, 15, Portland, 1970s

Hi my name is Jennifer Wehrli, I am Pem's sister-in-law.. to update you her brother Denny did take a DNA test and the results are in ancestry I don't know if that helps anybody, I hope it can. We are still looking for her. Their mom has since passed away and Denny's other sister the one who wrote most of the threads and the information online is now an ICU in the hospital. This had taken a huge toll on her and any information or help that we could get in locating her would be so appreciated the family, (what's left of it), needs it more than anything right now to find their sister or to find any other info. Pem Michelle Yates was born March 31 1963 in Norfolk VA. She went to Barlow high in Gresham OR. I found a yearbook picture of her there. Denny was born 1974 and he believes that his sister ran away when he was 4, so we believe she disappeared from Portland around 1978-1979. This is all we really know. It's sad, and being a mom, who puts family first, I can't just let this be..we need to find Pem. Her sister needs her..we need her. I contacted a detective in Hood River Oregon during covid when Portland had all the riots going and what not, defunding, so well aware the likelihood of them taking a report on a missing person's case that is over 40 years old was not very likely. But it detective and Hood River did give her a case number. Now I just need everyone to help with information about her if they remember her, if they went to school with her, if they know anything. Dead or alive we want to bring her home. She deserves to be remembered. And loved. Please help me find her. I can give you my contact info if you have any further questions or info. You can message me personally thru Facebook. Jennifer Hays-jenni4hays-Carson WA. I assure you this is a real case that needs serious help.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240108-202327.png
    Screenshot_20240108-202327.png
    307.1 KB · Views: 24
  • Pem1977.jpg
    Pem1977.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 22
  • Pem19774.jpg
    Pem19774.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 19
  • Pem19773.jpg
    Pem19773.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 22
  • 0.jpeg
    0.jpeg
    12.7 KB · Views: 25
Hi my name is Jennifer Wehrli, I am Pem's sister-in-law.. to update you her brother Denny did take a DNA test and the results are in ancestry I don't know if that helps anybody, I hope it can. We are still looking for her. Their mom has since passed away and Denny's other sister the one who wrote most of the threads and the information online is now an ICU in the hospital. This had taken a huge toll on her and any information or help that we could get in locating her would be so appreciated the family, (what's left of it), needs it more than anything right now to find their sister or to find any other info. Pem Michelle Yates was born March 31 1963 in Norfolk VA. She went to Barlow high in Gresham OR. I found a yearbook picture of her there. Denny was born 1974 and he believes that his sister ran away when he was 4, so we believe she disappeared from Portland around 1978-1979. This is all we really know. It's sad, and being a mom, who puts family first, I can't just let this be..we need to find Pem. Her sister needs her..we need her. I contacted a detective in Hood River Oregon during covid when Portland had all the riots going and what not, defunding, so well aware the likelihood of them taking a report on a missing person's case that is over 40 years old was not very likely. But it detective and Hood River did give her a case number. Now I just need everyone to help with information about her if they remember her, if they went to school with her, if they know anything. Dead or alive we want to bring her home. She deserves to be remembered. And loved. Please help me find her. I can give you my contact info if you have any further questions or info. You can message me personally thru Facebook. Jennifer Hays-jenni4hays-Carson WA. I assure you this is a real case that needs serious help.
Hi Jennifer welcome to Websleuths. It's sad that Pem has been missing for 45 years now. Do you know if the case number that Hood River PD gave to her is the same as a missing person report? Pem can't be entered into NamUs or the Charley Project without police filing a missing person report. This is why her case has basically...stalled.

? Pem can't be entered into NamUs or the Charley Project without police filing a missing person report. This is why her case has basically...stalled.
To be fair, if it's confirmed that the PD took a MP report, a layperson can enter the case in NAMUS on their behalf and they may or may not confirm it. Seems kind of arbitrary, though. I'm trying to work on getting a young man from NYC's case in NAMUS and it's like throwing spaghetti at a wall.

Has Pem's mother ever elaborated more on the circumstances of Pem's disappearance?
Like, why was she trying to cross state lines? Didn't she have school or was it during holidays? Was she running away at the time? Was she with anyone?

<sbm> her brother Denny did take a DNA test and the results are in ancestry <sbm>
Hopefully she started a new life and one day Denny will match against her in Ancestry.

However if Pem is deceased and unidentified, then police would not be able to find Denny to match against the deceased person. Ancestry doesn't allow law enforcement to use their DNA records, even to identify a deceased person. Others here will be able to advise how to get DNA into the right location.

Hopefully she started a new life and one day Denny will match against her in Ancestry.

However if Pem is deceased and unidentified, then police would not be able to find Denny to match against the deceased person. Ancestry doesn't allow law enforcement to use their DNA records, even to identify a deceased person. Others here will be able to advise how to get DNA into the right location.
Yes - you can download the DNA as .txt file from Ancestry and upload it directly into GEDMatch. I did it myself in hopes of getting a more detailed picture of my genetic makeup. It's fairly straightforward, only takes a day or so to upload.

It would also be helpful to get her brother's DNA formally taken by law enforcement so it can be entered into Codis to be compared against any unidentified Jane Doe, unless they can just get it from GED Match and use it for that?

Yes - you can download the DNA as .txt file from Ancestry and upload it directly into GEDMatch. I did it myself in hopes of getting a more detailed picture of my genetic makeup. It's fairly straightforward, only takes a day or so to upload.
ok I uploaded it onto GEDmatch. I have worked with a detective in Hood River, I will get the case number from him tomorrow.

Has Pem's mother ever elaborated more on the circumstances of Pem's disappearance?
Like, why was she trying to cross state lines? Didn't she have school or was it during holidays? Was she running away at the time? Was she with anyone?
no and she passed away several years ago. Only that she ran away looking for her dad in CA.

Good luck with Gedmatch! I use it for genealogy daily and it is a wonderful resource. Like many others, I have also opted in, in case I am related to anyone who may be missing. I hope the DNA test helps you finally generate some solid leads.

I got a missing person case and Pem's case is awaiting NamUs administrative approval. I do believe I have located her and my husband has submitted DNA to help in Identifying her. Her birthday is tomorrow, we want to find her, she is not forgotten.
I hope NamUs finally approves her case after so many years. Happy birthday to Pem. I really hope the person you found is her.

@SimsGuy67 Since I know that you follow this Jane Doe's case pretty closely.
Thank you for letting me know about this! I'm hoping that we have finally located Pem and identified Jane Doe.

I do wonder though, if this turns out to be a match, who Pem was found with. Maybe a runaway? Only reasoning I can think of right now.

Thank you for letting me know about this! I'm hoping that we have finally located Pem and identified Jane Doe.

I do wonder though, if this turns out to be a match, who Pem was found with. Maybe a runaway? Only reasoning I can think of right now.
Sad about the DNA for the other two young women.

Good thoughts in hopefully getting some closure for Pem!

Pem has been added to NamUs.

View attachment 494200
Amazing news! Based on the NamUs description, it should be easy to compare her to Valencia Jane Doe as Pem has a crooked front tooth. Of course, DNA is the preferable route.

It also says Pem has a cleft chin. I didn't initially notice it, but Valencia Jane Doe's reconstruction seems to depict a vague cleft chin too. I may just be seeing things, and I'm not sure if you can tell that from a skull.

I noticed some inconsistencies in the NamUs profile though. In the description it says 1973, the date says 1979, the thread title says 1977, but I've also seen 1978. What year was Pem last seen?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kaleyilene01
Back