OR OR - Troy Carney, 44, Central Point, 4 Sept 2008

Bumping for Troy and Linda...Linda, you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Bumping for Troy and his mom Linda. Here's hoping for long overdue answers in 2017. :heartbeat:

Oh my! Looks like his t-shirt has a wolverine mask on it.
So, was the mask Troy's?

Wow! Good catch. I never would have noticed since I'm not that familiar with Wolvarine. Here's a closeup of the shirt. He was not wearing it the night he was murdered. It was a dark shirt.
attachment.php

Here is a link with a photo of the mask they found. It was propped up as if displayed at an abandoned campsite.

http://www.mailtribune.com/article/20081025/NEWS/810250312

Troy's Mom said this about the mask...

They found who owned the Mask. It belonged to the guy that was camped near Troy. That was the campsite that was abandoned in a hurry the night Troy was killed. At first the person told Detectives he didn't know anything about the Mask, them later told them it belonged to his kids. He had two son's 9 & twelve years old that were camped with him. He is/was a person of interest.
BBM

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...ntral-Point-4-Sept-2008&p=6937471#post6937471

Why would this guy deny knowledge of the mask initially unless it has some significance. If it did belong to Troy, did he steal it from Troy or did Troy gave it to his kids? Why did he abandon his campsite the night of the killing, leaving his tent and the mask behind? Guilty or scared? And why might Troy have had the mask, if it was his?

Attachments

• IMG_2008.JPG
    IMG_2008.JPG
    4.9 KB · Views: 69
This is my 4th try on writing a message, The website keeps crashing on me so I will give a quick answer reg. the image on Troy's T-shirt. Troy did not own the Wolverine mask, If he did he would have mentioned it to me. Thanks for mentioning him. Troy was killed almost two months before Halloween. I'm having a problem with the website, it keeps crashing so I will try writing tomorrow. Troy's mom.

This is my 4th try on writing a message, The website keeps crashing on me so I will give a quick answer reg. the image on Troy's T-shirt. Troy did not own the Wolverine mask, If he did he would have mentioned it to me. Thanks for mentioning him. Troy was killed almost two months before Halloween. I'm having a problem with the website, it keeps crashing so I will try writing tomorrow. Troy's mom.
BBM

I hope you can get something posted, Linda. Is there ANY possibility that Troy could have gotten the mask from someone after you last talked to him? I can't remember the time gap. These masks are available online so it's possible someone had gotten it previously and gave it to Troy for some reason. I don't think we have to necessarily connect it with Halloween. Just trying not to eliminate any possibility. To your knowledge, was he a Wolverine fan or was the t-shirt he was wearing in the photo just something random he might have gotten free or cheap?

The contradictory answers the nearby camper gave about the mask make me think there is something significant about it. That's partly why I wonder if it did belong to Troy.

Without naming names, was the friend he had been staying with eliminated as a POI? Troy moved out because of tension his presence caused, supposedly.

Looking forward to hearing from you when the glitches end.

I was told there was another guy camped near Troy, he was a wrestler. When he wrestled he would wear a Wolverine mask. I guess it was his stage thing. I don't remember his name, I will search my notes to see if I can find it.
From what I was told, he lost his home and up camping there for a few weeks. Troy was into wrestling, he was very fit, would work out a lot. Was also a hiker. Loved the outdoors. The image on his T-**** was a Skull. He had the nickname Skully. Also used Skully for an email address on yahoo.com..Troy's mom

There were rumors that Troy caused tension in his friends house. That was not true, Troy went there for a visit and decided to stay awhile so he was applying for a job around town. After a few days with no work he decided to go back to Portland Truck stop and go back hauling funitrue and work his way back home to the east coast. I want to point out, Troy's body was found on Sept. 4, 2008, but he was actually killed the evening of Sept. 1, 2008 (Labor Day).
I talked to him that same evening on his cell phone. He left the Pilot at 6:pm that evening Sept 1st. He was killed about 4 hours later. I talked with detectives, told them he always left his campsite before daylight so no one would see him leaving.
The website site is still crashing on me, hope this goes through..Troy's mom.. Linda

I tried to call him the next morning on Sept2nd, would have been 6am OR. time. He did not answer, I kept calling him all day for 2 days and no answer. The Sheriff office called me the evening of Sept 4th to tell me my son was found murdered in his sleeping bag. His phone was found in his shoe. So I know he had have been killed about 4am on Sept 2nd. Just before daylight. Someone shot him in the head while he was sleeping. He was not robbed. I'm having a hard time posting, website crashing..Will later..

I hope you getting my messages. Keeps saying website not responding..Linda

Got 'em. Thanks so much.

I was told there was another guy camped near Troy, he was a wrestler. When he wrestled he would wear a Wolverine mask. I guess it was his stage thing. I don't remember his name, I will search my notes to see if I can find it.
From what I was told, he lost his home and up camping there for a few weeks. Troy was into wrestling, he was very fit, would work out a lot. Was also a hiker. Loved the outdoors. The image on his T-**** was a Skull. He had the nickname Skully. Also used Skully for an email address on yahoo.com..Troy's mom

I don't remember hearing about the wrestler who wore a Wolverine mask before. Do the detectives think it belonged to him? Was he gone when Troy was found dead? Was he cleared?

I wonder why the mask was at the campsite of the guy with kids? Could he have stolen it and been afraid to answer truthfully?

The image on the t-shirt looks like something more than a skull to me because of the black markings around the mouth and it appears to have hair.

There were rumors that Troy caused tension in his friends house. That was not true, Troy went there for a visit and decided to stay awhile so he was applying for a job around town. After a few days with no work he decided to go back to Portland Truck stop and go back hauling funitrue and work his way back home to the east coast. I want to point out, Troy's body was found on Sept. 4, 2008, but he was actually killed the evening of Sept. 1, 2008 (Labor Day).
I talked to him that same evening on his cell phone. He left the Pilot at 6:pm that evening Sept 1st. He was killed about 4 hours later. I talked with detectives, told them he always left his campsite before daylight so no one would see him leaving.
The website site is still crashing on me, hope this goes through..Troy's mom.. Linda

I wonder who started the rumors of tension. Could it have been someone trying to make suspicion fall on his friend?

So he was killed around 10:00 pm September 1?

I tried to call him the next morning on Sept2nd, would have been 6am OR. time. He did not answer, I kept calling him all day for 2 days and no answer. The Sheriff office called me the evening of Sept 4th to tell me my son was found murdered in his sleeping bag. His phone was found in his shoe. So I know he had have been killed about 4am on Sept 2nd. Just before daylight. Someone shot him in the head while he was sleeping. He was not robbed. I'm having a hard time posting, website crashing..Will later..

Could you clarify about the time he was killed being about 4:00 a.m. Sept 2? You also indicated 10:00 pm Sept 1, 4 hours after leaving Pilot. There are several times mentioned on the thread over the years. Maybe these are just guesstimates?

Did the detective ever find out what time people heard a shot?

So sorry to throw so many questions at you Linda. You know how it is...answers create more questions! No hurry to answer. Whenever you can.

Hugs. :heartbeat:

Hi..The rumors about Troy causing tension were started on a blog, town gossip.
The time he was killed was Sept.1st 2008 after midnight about 4:am, so would make it Sept 2nd. 2008.
His body was found late afternoon on Sept 4th. Medical examiner told me they have to put his death date the day he was found. I don't remember hearing anything about 10pm. Might have been town gossip.
I read a lot of those town blogs and people there did not know Troy at all except for his long time friend so most of what was said on those blogs were not true. it was said he was in a tent, that was not true. He was a sleeping bag under a tree/brush. He never used a Tent.
I was never told the time people heard the shots or how many shots. As far as I know it was one shot. I was told if they made an arrest, the shot that was hear could not be used in court cause they would have said that people heard a noise that sounded like a shot. I did a lot of checking on that date. There was no moon that night. No rain for quite a while so everything was very dry. Someone walking that close to him, he would have heard twigs snap cause he was a light sleeper, or maybe was very tired that night so in a deep sleep. Maybe it was someone he knew and had been there before, maybe he was expecting someone.
I don't mind the questions, I have so many of my own questions in my head. More then eight years have passed and not a day goes by that I don't think of him and all the phone conversations we had everyday. I go over and over in my head that maybe he gave me a hint about something being wrong and I'm just not getting it.
I talked to him that evening and he was upbeat seemed fine joking about his birthday coming up. He was killed four days before his birthday..Birthday is Aug. 26th..

The Mask did not belong to Troy. His friend has been eliminated as a POI.
Could be who ever killed him wore that Mask and purposely left it propped up against the tree as his trade mark.
Very well could have been a serial Killer. I believe that if you have the guts to walk up to someone and shoot them in the head without a second thought, you had to have done it before and again and again..
Troy was a very friendly good hearted guy. If he hung out anywhere it would be a place where he could shoot pool.
He was also a good singer, loved to sing karaoke. If you have one of those placed in town, that's where he would go.
I told the detectives about the karaoke places, but I know they didn't believed me....

Thanks so much for clarifying these things Linda. I just want to reach right through my iPad and hug you! I can't even imagine what this feels like, but I know it's hard. :(

It almost sounds like an execution to me. Someone had to know where to find Troy, and deliberately sought him out at his hidden campsite. I don't know that a serial killer would have found him unless Troy was followed or the killer himself was camped nearby.

I keep coming back to the guy with the two kids who left quickly and told two stories about the mask. To me, any father camping with two kids in a place like that has a screw loose. Did he have some stupid misunderstanding with Troy? I'll keep reading back through the thread to see what jumps out at me.

I know LE doesn't think Troy's murder is connected to Dave Lewis's, and no doubt they are right. At the beginning they did say they had evidence linking them, but that was later discounted and we don't know what it was. But it's so weird to have two shootings like executions a few days apart. Who hated Troy that much? And who hated Dave that much? Did they each need to be silenced for some reason? Within days of each other? So many questions and not many answers.

More hugs. :heartbeat:

Went through my notes, Champion wrestlers, brothers. One had gone homeless, camping on the Greenway.
Trade mark was the Wolverine mask. The mask was found at his campsite, not Troy's.
That's how Troy met him, camping not far from Troy, had two kids, last name Shultz or Schultz.

I talked to Troy about everyday. On Aug. 31st, that evening he called me, would have been about 6:pm OR. time.
He called to tell me he was going back to the east coast. One trucker friend told him if he ever decided he wanted to go back to the east coast, call him and he will swing by and pick him up. Troy said he called him. I don't know what kind of phone he had but he said he could only leave a message and the guy would call him back. Troy said he left about 4 messages on his phone. The guy didn't call him back so I said What are you going to do, just go to the truck stop and wait for him? He said no, he will know right where to find me. That following night he was dead. Actually very early morning Sept. 2nd.

I told the Detectives that story a few times and each time they blew it off. They would never give me an answer about tracing that phone number. I have always wondered about that.

Went through my notes, Champion wrestlers, brothers. One had gone homeless, camping on the Greenway.
Trade mark was the Wolverine mask. The mask was found at his campsite, not Troy's.
That's how Troy met him, camping not far from Troy, had two kids, last name Shultz or Schultz.

I talked to Troy about everyday. On Aug. 31st, that evening he called me, would have been about 6:pm OR. time.
He called to tell me he was going back to the east coast. One trucker friend told him if he ever decided he wanted to go back to the east coast, call him and he will swing by and pick him up. Troy said he called him. I don't know what kind of phone he had but he said he could only leave a message and the guy would call him back. Troy said he left about 4 messages on his phone. The guy didn't call him back so I said What are you going to do, just go to the truck stop and wait for him? He said no, he will know right where to find me. That following night he was dead. Actually very early morning Sept. 2nd.

I told the Detectives that story a few times and each time they blew it off. They would never give me an answer about tracing that phone number. I have always wondered about that.

That's quite a lead Linda. I have a feeling LE keeps a lot from families to protect the investigation. It may be that they traced the number and the friend had not come this way after all or he's still on their radar. You never knew his name? I wonder about serial killers who are truckers. I'll look at that too.

I'll do little digging about the wrestler just out of curiosity. I realize he was cleared but I still wonder why he left his mask behind and told LE two different stories.

They wouldn't tell me the truck drivers name. I even went on the truck drivers website and posted a message about Troy's murder and they spread it to every State. A couple of truck stops wrote back, said they remembered Troy.
Not much happened with it...

They wouldn't tell me the truck drivers name. I even went on the truck drivers website and posted a message about Troy's murder and they spread it to every State. A couple of truck stops wrote back, said they remembered Troy.
Not much happened with it...

You've really done a great job sleuthing and advocating for Troy, Linda!! :heartbeat:

Bumping for Troy. :heartbeat: In less than two months it will be nine years without answers. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
momoxbunny
Back