PA PA - Bedford, 'Mr. Bones' WhtMale 30-35, 585UMPA, 30-06 rifle, gold dental wk, camping equip, Oct'58

Attachments

• 4DD4C725-78C5-42F2-B19C-A08498A00371.jpeg
    4DD4C725-78C5-42F2-B19C-A08498A00371.jpeg
    120.8 KB · Views: 9
I wonder if Mr. Bones could be William Dawson Sharpe, missing from Scranton, PA since 1948, when he left to presumably take a construction job in Albany, NY. He was declared legally deceased in 1975, with a presumed date of death of 1955. I have no idea how old he would have been in the 1950s, however, as his date of birth is not listed in the public notices.
The_Tribune_1975_06_24_page_14.jpgThe_Times_Tribune_1975_10_13_page_4.jpg

I wonder if Mr. Bones could be William Dawson Sharpe, missing from Scranton, PA since 1948, when he left to presumably take a construction job in Albany, NY. He was declared legally deceased in 1975, with a presumed date of death of 1955. I have no idea how old he would have been in the 1950s, however, as his date of birth is not listed in the public notices.
I found William A. Sharpe on the 1930 US Census for Scranton, age about 18, with an older sister Martha D. Sharpe, age about 20... Both listed as having been born in Scotland. Thomas A. Sharpe is listed as a younger brother, age about 6. If this is the same William Sharpe, he would have been born in about 1912.

View attachment 421091View attachment 421092

Did a bit of digging into William on Ancestry, he was in the family 1950 census
Detail Source
NameWilliam Sharpe
Age38
Birth Dateabt 1912
GenderMale
RaceWhite
Birth PlaceScotland
Marital StatusNever Married (Single)
Relation to Head of HouseSon
Residence Date1950
Home in 1950Scranton, Lackawanna, Pennsylvania, USA
Street NameCorbett Avenue
House Number934
Dwelling Number132
FarmNo
AcresNo
CitizenshipYes
Occupation CategoryOther
Worked Last WeekNo
Seeking WorkNo
Employment StatusNo
Household Members (Name)AgeRelationship
Margaret Sharpe66Head
Martha Sharpe40Daughter
William Sharpe38Son
Thomas Sharpe26Son
Jean Sharpe21Daughter

I believe his middle name is Anderson, couldn’t find a Dawson.
Social security number
Detail Source
NameWilliam Sharpe
Social Security Number188-01-3478
Birth Date8 Aug 1911
Issue yearBefore 1951
Issue StatePennsylvania
Last Residence14607, Rochester, Monroe, New York, USA
Death Date18 Jul 1998
Born 8 August 1911 Scotland, was a US veteran and I believe I found his death
Detail Source
NameWilliam Sharpe
Death Age86
Birth Date8 Aug 1911
Death Date18 Jul 1998
Interment PlaceNew York, USA
Cemetery Address2650 Lake Avenue Rochester, NY 14612
CemeteryRiverside Cemetery
NotesUs Army World War Ii

I am going to try a Hail Mary play here. We will get nowhere until modern DNA testing is done on Mr. Bones’ bones. I am willing to pony up $500 towards doing the testing. Anyone want to join me? How do we get Othram to take the case?
Just to spark some interest, I will reveal some interesting things I uncovered that I have sat on for years now.

1) One of Conner’s family members in Lima told me that he thought that Conner and RF’s wife may have been involved with each other, hence RF’s possible ïmotive for the killing.
2) Another family member told me that according to family lore, Conner’s body was “under a highway in Pennsylvania”.

I wondered who could possibly have been in a position to tell them where the body was. My best guess: Conner’s son (now deceased) had got in trouble on a burglary charge in the early 1960s. He was quite young at the time. RF’s attorney in the “Bodyless Murder Trial” later represented Conner’s son at his burglary trial! Did he feel sorry and tell him where his father’s body was? Was this remotely true? We will never know, everyone involved is gone now. This attorney was a real character.

RF was exiled to Ft. Wayne by a judge in the early 1950s. Mr. Bones’s Remington was sold there. We know thanks to Richard that the 1939 date (which keeps cropping up) can’t be true, as that weapon could not have been made before 1949.

No smoking gun (sorry) but enough coincidences to make one wonder if somebody really would go that far with a body in the back of a vehicle. And we will keep on wondering until the DNA testing is done.

One individual has excoriated me here for the theory that Mr.B could be Conner. I am not sure why he has that level of hostility.

Conner is officially a rule out, though I don’t know the basis for it. Conner had no dentals and Mr. B. has no DNA.

So, let’s see if we can get DNA done.How much are you willing to pledge to satisfy your curiosity, if Othram will take the case?

Anyone willing to kick in?

I am going to try a Hail Mary play here. We will get nowhere until modern DNA testing is done on Mr. Bones’ bones. I am willing to pony up $500 towards doing the testing. Anyone want to join me? How do we get Othram to take the case?
Just to spark some interest, I will reveal some interesting things I uncovered that I have sat on for years now.

1) One of Conner’s family members in Lima told me that he thought that Conner and RF’s wife may have been involved with each other, hence RF’s possible ïmotive for the killing.
2) Another family member told me that according to family lore, Conner’s body was “under a highway in Pennsylvania”.

I wondered who could possibly have been in a position to tell them where the body was. My best guess: Conner’s son (now deceased) had got in trouble on a burglary charge in the early 1960s. He was quite young at the time. RF’s attorney in the “Bodyless Murder Trial” later represented Conner’s son at his burglary trial! Did he feel sorry and tell him where his father’s body was? Was this remotely true? We will never know, everyone involved is gone now. This attorney was a real character.

RF was exiled to Ft. Wayne by a judge in the early 1950s. Mr. Bones’s Remington was sold there. We know thanks to Richard that the 1939 date (which keeps cropping up) can’t be true, as that weapon could not have been made before 1949.

No smoking gun (sorry) but enough coincidences to make one wonder if somebody really would go that far with a body in the back of a vehicle. And we will keep on wondering until the DNA testing is done.

One individual has excoriated me here for the theory that Mr.B could be Conner. I am not sure why he has that level of hostility.

Conner is officially a rule out, though I don’t know the basis for it. Conner had no dentals and Mr. B. has no DNA.

So, let’s see if we can get DNA done.How much are you willing to pledge to satisfy your curiosity, if Othram will take the case?

Anyone willing to kick in?
Depends. How would this fundraiser work? Would we launch a Go Fund me?

Depends. How would this fundraiser work? Would we launch a Go Fund me?
Hiya TT.
If you go to Othram’s website, he lists cases and the level of funding they have achieved. So there is some way to do it directly through Othram. I think that would be the way to go, if he takes the case. That way no money passes through a third party and there is no question of somebody partying with the $$$ instead of using it for what was intended.
I’m just spitballin’ ideas here. I don’t know if LE needs to set this in motion or what.
This is a prime case for DNA. No exhumation is necessary. Those take time, money, and a judge’s order.

From NamUs report printed 10/10/2011 under DNA:

Complete and entered
Type: mtDNA
Reference #: Lab # 030421003 PF OA

and then -

Complete and entered
NucDNA

Reference # 10-3279.1
Lab ORI TX220035Y
Comments: Partial (6) STR's and full mito profile recovered from remains. CL

From NamUs report printed 10/10/2011 under DNA:

Complete and entered
Reference #: Lab # 030421003 PF OA

and then -

Complete and entered
NucDNA

Reference # 10-3279.1
Lab ORI TX220035Y
Comments: Partial (6) STR's and full mito profile recovered from remains. CL
Yep. That is the old 6 STR test used for CODIS. Great for matching someone to a crime scene if they left their own DNA. Inadequate for identifying remains. I think they sample millions of STRs now. And you can’t use the old DNA results for modern forensic genealogy.

Bumping for my old friend Mr. B. My offer to pledge $500 for testing of Mr. Bones’ bones still stands. Anyone else want to try Othram? I am out of gas on this case. I have worked it well over 10 years, only a few things to show for it, and really no closer to finding out his name and what happened.

Bumping for my old friend Mr. B. My offer to pledge $500 for testing of Mr. Bones’ bones still stands. Anyone else want to try Othram? I am out of gas on this case. I have worked it well over 10 years, only a few things to show for it, and really no closer to finding out his name and what happened.
At one point Othram participated in this thread with one post. I think PA LE would have to authorize Othram to examine what they have left. I'd be willing to donate towards the effort, but not really sure where to start - probably PA LE?

At one point Othram participated in this thread with one post. I think PA LE would have to authorize Othram to examine what they have left. I'd be willing to donate towards the effort, but not really sure where to start - probably PA LE?
Someone should ask PA LE if they are considering using Genetic Genealogy in the case.

Anyone can submit a case suggestion to solve@othram.com

You can always tag @othram as well and he will let you know if they are able to look into it.

Besides the Remington .30-06 rifle and 3 boxes of ammunition, the crime scene was supplied with the following items:

- a leather jacket
- a bed roll
- a four-quart canteen
- a canvas backpack
- a few changes of clothes and towels
- a portable cook stove and utensils
- three books:
"100 Modern Poems", by Selden Rodman, "Reading Poems", and "Science and the Modern World" by Alfred North Whitehead.
- a Brass Key (stamped "Active 195 Ave A")
- Cash: $38 was found in a black wallet, and that $23 in crumpled bills was found in his pocket.
I’ve been wondering about the cash. The bills. It’s along shot and maybe impossible, but, could the bills be examined and the bill serial numbers checked?
I don’t know how to word this.
Could bill serial numbers be a clue as to the location/origin of the bills
In the distant past, I’m assuming people didn’t easily travel far and wide as we can do today. Maybe a possible geographical location of some kind could be established. Where Mr Bones came from, where he had travelled. Idk.
Also, using $60.00 in cash as a starting point. In 1958, that would have been a considerable amount of money. By todays standards it would compare to an amount of close to $700.00

Yes, US paper currency
has always had both a letter code and printed name of the city where it was printed. However, unless the bills were all new and relatively uncirculated, it would be very difficult to draw any accurate conclusions.

Attachments

• 6DC73DE2-1143-4CB4-BC20-703CE264B8D2.jpeg
    6DC73DE2-1143-4CB4-BC20-703CE264B8D2.jpeg
    62.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 4B55FE9B-0409-4651-A0FE-7046301217D8.jpeg
    4B55FE9B-0409-4651-A0FE-7046301217D8.jpeg
    38.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 48F9C9CC-B627-418B-9AD3-4E4F98FB40F7.jpeg
    48F9C9CC-B627-418B-9AD3-4E4F98FB40F7.jpeg
    112.6 KB · Views: 8
Although I can't link it easily, a newspaper account from Williamsport, PA noted that an inmate in a Federal penitentiary named Donald Gratz was stabbed by another inmate in 1962. I am not sure if he survived. A copy of a July 1958 FBI bulletin indicated that Donald Forest Gratz was captured in 1958. He faced Federal indictments and was convicted. Link - hopefully this works: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjTt8nlsbODAxWqkmoFHU00ChEQFnoECBkQAQ&url=https://leb.fbi.gov/file-repository/archives/july-1958.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1y_gNoOUoiPpC5LXvppMq9&opi=89978449

Not Mr. Bones... Gratz impersonated an instructor, but was apparently not a student or an instructor.

Last edited:
Although I can't link it easily, a newspaper account from Williamsport, PA noted that an inmate in a Federal penitentiary named Donald Gratz was stabbed by another inmate in 1962. I am not sure if he survived. A copy of a July 1958 FBI bulletin indicated that Donald Forest Gratz was captured in 1958. He faced Federal indictments and was convicted. Link - hopefully this works: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&ved=2ahUKEwjTt8nlsbODAxWqkmoFHU00ChEQFnoECBkQAQ&url=https://leb.fbi.gov/file-repository/archives/july-1958.pdf&usg=AOvVaw1y_gNoOUoiPpC5LXvppMq9&opi=89978449

Not Mr. Bones... Gratz impersonated an instructor, but was apparently not a student or an instructor.
Wow Warwick1991!!
Super Great find thank you!! Yep not Mr Bones ugh! Again thanks for finding that so quick!
Oh the old FBI bulletin!. I love those old magazines/bulletins/newspapers..you can get so lost for hours in them!

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back