PA PA- Edward 'Eddie' James Joubert, 46, Jazz musician & owner of Bottom of the Fox Tavern, hacked w. an axe, Poconos, 28 Nov. 1981 *New initiative*

dotr

Reaction score
by Mac Bullock
11/29/2023
1701354103576.png
''Edward James Joubert spent the last day of his life — Nov. 28, 1981 — working at the Bottom of the Fox Tavern, on the corner of Main and Oak streets in Delaware Water Gap, troopers said.
The bar was crowded when Joubert walked around back at 5 p.m. to grab some firewood, police said.''

<modsnip - snipped for copyright, more at link>

Last edited by a moderator:
1701356562866.png
''Eddie Joubert's midlife crisis had arrived right on schedule. He fell hard for the Poconos, a resort area in Pennsylvania where he bought a rundown tavern that became a magnet for an eclectic clientele that ranged from world-class jazz musicians to bikers to returning Vietnam War veterans. But the Poconos held a dark secret. When Joubert was hacked to death in 1981, it was yet another in a series of gruesome unsolved murders and puzzling deaths involving hippies, gays and other people whom the authorities cared little about because they were considered to be lowlifes. The Bottom of the Fox lays bare that secret for the first time. It details the astonishing level of violence in an area known for resorts and verdant woodlands while revealing how evil doers could literally get away with murder.''

Interesting case. I might have to get that book. I just checked google maps and it appears that the building is still there ( though there seems to have been several additions constructed which render it very different looking now). My first thought was that it was someone just waiting for an opportunity to attack however the more i think about it, it just seems weird. I wonder if it was a case of the victim catching someone pilfering from his firewood pile and the axe was just a handy weapon?

SHAUN D. MULLEN,For the Pocono Record, 2011
''One COTA festival founder is seldom spoken of — a sad consequence of his brutal murder, his biographer believes''

''Eddie Joubert had been dead for 21 years when I began work on my forthcoming book, "The Bottom o' the Fox," but I soon learned that many people had quickly put aside his horrific murder.

Less than a year after Joubert had been hacked to death with an ax, a friend went to work for the Delaware Water Gap Celebration of the Arts, the 27th edition of which gets under way tonight.''
<modsnip - snipped for 10% copyright rule>

rbbm
''Police say it happened at the Bottom of the Fox in Delaware Water Gap when the 46-year-old walked out of the crowded bar he owned around 5pm to retrieve firewood. Eddie was found dead later that night right behind a tree with a stay out sign posted on it.
Noll says, "There was evidence that was recovered from the scene there, nothing that proved positive as far as any suspects."
In the days leading up, Jessica was living above the bar with her father since her parents were divorced and says he wasn’t acting like himself.
Joubert says, "I remember him being up very late at night, not sleeping, seeming very bothered and just on edge."

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting case. I might have to get that book. I just checked google maps and it appears that the building is still there ( though there seems to have been several additions constructed which render it very different looking now). My first thought was that it was someone just waiting for an opportunity to attack however the more i think about it, it just seems weird. I wonder if it was a case of the victim catching someone pilfering from his firewood pile and the axe was just a handy weapon?
The building is still there and it is a restaurant called The Sycamore Grill. It has been The Sycamore for at least 20 years.

Restaurant | Sycamore Grille Restaurant & Pub | Delaware Water Gap

I was there for lunch this summer, and sat in the parking lot for about a half hour waiting for friends to arrive. I noticed what I thought was possibly a “rails to trails” type path that goes behind the building, as well as a few buildings back there. That path would have provided a way out of the area that would allow someone to go unnoticed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aegon_the_Conqueror
Back