PA PA - Gary Redner, 55, Berks County, 9 March 2008

Anthony Freil

Reaction score
I am from near Gary Redner's home in PA. Every time I shop at the local Redner's Market, I stand in the checkout line and see the reward poster for information leading to the identity of his killer. These posters have been up for so long that I imagine many walk right by them without noticing any more.

In recent years, I find this case on my mind more than it has been since it happened. To be honest, it is the reason I joined Websleuths. When I saw that no one had much engagement in the case, other than what I'd gleaned from the media, my hope of tracking down more information kind of fizzled out.

Maybe my curiosity was enhanced by knowing several Redner's Markets employees at the time of Gary's murder. Many were questioned by investigators. Mostly standard questions to eliminate them as suspects. The police had no small job canvassing Gary's numerous employees, business associates and social contacts. But one young woman I met through a professional interaction in 2008 sticks with me. She was questioned a bit more intensely than the others I'd heard of. What made her stand out to me was the fact that she and her boyfriend were investigated as "possible suspects" and had their home searched. Even had a baseball bat confiscated by police. They were both former employees of the Redner's Markets location where Gary Redner had his office. Apparently they ran their mouths about him and raised suspicion. She claimed they were cleared pretty quickly and that was that.

I don't know if my acquaintance with her may have intensified my interest in the case, or if it the fact that it remains unsolved after all this time bothers me, but part of me still feels drawn to the idea of looking into this. The fact that Gary's murder remains unsolved after all these years, despite the over $100k reward, is just tragic for the family and community. Knowing what I know about rural Berks County, Pennsylvania, and the circumstances of this case, I can't escape the feeling that somebody nearby knows something. Something that is worth more than 100K to conceal.

Question for you Sleuths; If you were me, and hadn't engaged in investigative journalism or civilian sleuthing before, where would you start? Is there anyone here with a common interest in the case who might want to take a look at it?

I am from near Gary Redner's home in PA. Every time I shop at the local Redner's Market, I stand in the checkout line and see the reward poster for information leading to the identity of his killer. These posters have been up for so long that I imagine many walk right by them without noticing any more.

In recent years, I find this case on my mind more than it has been since it happened. To be honest, it is the reason I joined Websleuths. When I saw that no one had much engagement in the case, other than what I'd gleaned from the media, my hope of tracking down more information kind of fizzled out.

Maybe my curiosity was enhanced by knowing several Redner's Markets employees at the time of Gary's murder. Many were questioned by investigators. Mostly standard questions to eliminate them as suspects. The police had no small job canvassing Gary's numerous employees, business associates and social contacts. But one young woman I met through a professional interaction in 2008 sticks with me. She was questioned a bit more intensely than the others I'd heard of. What made her stand out to me was the fact that she and her boyfriend were investigated as "possible suspects" and had their home searched. Even had a baseball bat confiscated by police. They were both former employees of the Redner's Markets location where Gary Redner had his office. Apparently they ran their mouths about him and raised suspicion. She claimed they were cleared pretty quickly and that was that.

I don't know if my acquaintance with her may have intensified my interest in the case, or if it the fact that it remains unsolved after all this time bothers me, but part of me still feels drawn to the idea of looking into this. The fact that Gary's murder remains unsolved after all these years, despite the over $100k reward, is just tragic for the family and community. Knowing what I know about rural Berks County, Pennsylvania, and the circumstances of this case, I can't escape the feeling that somebody nearby knows something. Something that is worth more than 100K to conceal.

Question for you Sleuths; If you were me, and hadn't engaged in investigative journalism or civilian sleuthing before, where would you start? Is there anyone here with a common interest in the case who might want to take a look at it?
I also live in Berks county and have been fascinated by this case for years. I will send you a message, would love to discuss.

ETA: Sorry this is my first p0st and I put it in the wrong spot!

News link: New details revealed in cold case killing of Gary Redner

In 2008 Gary Redner was walking home alone from his local pub after drinking alone. Gary was divorced with grown children and lived alone. At the end of his approximately quarter mile walk home Gary was bludgeoned to death in his neighbor's driveway and was discovered early the next morning. The police have described this case as "frustrating" and are relying on the community to share information that may help solve the case. Gary had no known enemy's, and was the Executive VP of Redner's Market. His father founded the grocery store chain and his brother was the President of the company as his father was retired, but his family described him as well liked at work.

(Personal info/story) Hi everyone! I am new here so please be kind. I am posting this as I have recently moved back to my hometown of PA after all of the COVID craziness. Growing up my family frequented Redner's Warehouse Markets as they often have good deals on bulk meats and such. I always saw when we walked in a reward poster saying "Who Killed Gary Redner?", and I honestly forgot about this until this past week when my dad (another true crime junkie) and I were discussing this. I have had a really hard time finding any coverage or information on this cased, and I'm considering creating a youtube video of information to get this story back out there and compile info in one place. My personal thoughts on this is that perhaps he had an altercation with a neighbor, friend or family member as this seems like a crime of passion in the heat of the moment, not necessarily a pre-meditated thing. He was said to leave the bar alone but I wonder if perhaps someone was following him.

Last edited:

In 2008 Gary Redner was walking home alone from his local pub after drinking alone. Gary was divorced with grown children and lived alone. At the end of his approximately quarter mile walk home Gary was bludgeoned to death in his neighbor's driveway and was discovered early the next morning. The police have described this case as "frustrating" and are relying on the community to share information that may help solve the case. Gary had no known enemy's, and was the Executive VP of Redner's Market. His father founded the grocery store chain and his brother was the President of the company as his father was retired, but his family described him as well liked at work.

(Personal info/story) Hi everyone! I am new here so please be kind. I am posting this as I have recently moved back to my hometown of PA after all of the COVID craziness. Growing up my family frequented Redner's Warehouse Markets as they often have good deals on bulk meats and such. I always saw when we walked in a reward poster saying "Who Killed Gary Redner?", and I honestly forgot about this until this past week when my dad (another true crime junkie) and I were discussing this. I have had a really hard time finding any coverage or information on this cased, and I'm considering creating a youtube video of information to get this story back out there and compile info in one place. My personal thoughts on this is that perhaps he had an altercation with a neighbor, friend or family member as this seems like a crime of passion in the heat of the moment, not necessarily a pre-meditated thing. He was said to leave the bar alone but I wonder if perhaps someone was following him.

sorry, this was posted in the wrong thread! working on deleting...

<modsnip: Soliciting private messages is not allowed> I'm also interested in this case and have not really investigated one before so I'm also curious as to where to start here. I think it's just tragic that there is not more coverage!

Last edited by a moderator:

Who would benefit financially from his death? Start there.

amateur opinion and speculation

He has a divorcee and two adult children, but lived alone. That's my theory as well. Do you have any tips on how to follow up on this/find more info on them?
TOS on WS forbids sleuthing of family members unless they are named POI by law enforcement. A financial benefit could be a biz dealing, or beyond life insurance etc.
Generally financial forensics quickly reveal POI if in fact there is a financial motive.

Of course there are always standard revenge motives like unknowingly seeing a married person, etc.

My gut says financial motivation, but could be a crime of passion as well.

amateur opinion and speculation

I would wonder what the situation with the business was. For instance. The victim of this crime is the executive VP and his brother is the president. Is the business privately owned as of 2008? I would assume the brother is older but that may not be the case.

I am also from Berks County and for some reason this case has been on my mind recently. I think about it when I shop. The thing is that a lot of what I’ve heard mentioned about him would likely be considered rumor. I’m new to this forum and I am not sure what is appropriate but I am familiar with the pub he frequented and what has been said over the years. It’s now under new management but I never got the impression anyone thought this was about money.

'Who Killed Gary Redner?' : Question remains 15 years later

LOWER HEIDELBERG TWP., Pa. - There aren't too many cold cases that one ponders on a grocery store run.

"We feel very strongly that there are folks out there that know what happened,” said Trooper David Beohm with State Police.

As the 15th anniversary of the murder of grocery executive Gary Redner comes to pass, the Crime Alert Berks signs, still offering an over six-figure sum for information, continue to greet customers as they enter the family's stores.

Could a regular shopper even hold clues?

"We always like for you guys to follow up on this cause maybe it's the off chance that somebody heard something a little funky one day in the last ten, fifteen years,” Beohm said.

With the passage of time, the Reading State Police barracks is once again in a transitional period in terms of cold case leadership.

Could a fresh set of investigative eyes help?

"We've had a couple different cold case investigators since this homicide and you know they're gonna look into this and see what they think,” Beohm said.

Redner was found bludgeoned to death outside his home in Lower Heidelberg Township on the morning of March 9th, 2008. His family continues to seek justice.

“This isn't a cold case where we have an unidentified victim, right? We have Gary Redner, we know who he was,” Beohm said.

Redner was last seen alive at Ganly's Pub and Restaurant on the night of March 8th, just minutes from his home. Police are asking anyone with information to come forward.

"The reward is $125,000 dollars,” Beohm said. “That's the reward for information that would lead to the arrest of who killed Gary Redner."

If you have any information you are asked to call Crime Alert Berks County.

Bumping, on the occasion of the death of Gary's brother Dick, 73:
Richard Redner died without seeing justice in the homicide of his brother, Gary Redner, 16 years ago. Gary Redner was the executive vice president of Redner's.

Pennsylvania State Police reshared the information about the case on April 25.

PSP said that around 7 p.m. on Saturday, March 8, 2008, Gary Redner was last seen leaving Ganly's Pub on Reber's Bridge Road in Lower Heidelberg Township, a quarter-mile down the road from his home.

The next morning, he was found beaten to death on his neighbor's property. Police say Gary's vehicle was parked in his driveway and he appeared to have never made it into his home that night.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
just_a_shouthern_gal
Back