PA PA - Harrisburg, Teen female remains buried in cellar, Feb' 1915

That brings me to ask:

Was the victim single or married?

Granted, way back then many teen girls got married in their teens (there was no modern concept of "teenage years" as we now know it), if they were lucky enough to even finish high school.

Keeping my eye on this case as it sounds fascinating and intriguing.

After re-reading the Newspapers.com PDFs I do want to add:

Whoever buried the victim had knowledge of the cellar, perhaps its construction.

And, this may seem difficult, but that German family who occupied it needs to be ID'd by name.

I know this is a few months old, but I just discovered this case yesterday. On February 17, 1915, an article was published in the Harrisburg Telegraph saying all tenants had been located except for the ones living there between 1902 when Ayres left and 1905 when Dr. Ebersole moved in. John F. Mellish lived there in 1903 and was later located in Chicago. There was a brief mention that he had a housekeeper, but there wasn't any additional info I could find.
This site has free newspaper articles on the investigation: http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/s...=yearRange&rows=20&searchType=basic&sort=date

Additionally, I searched the 1903 Harrisburg City Directory and was able to locate John F. Mellish at the address. The address is not listed in the 1904 Harrisburg City Directory. The 1905 directory doesn't seem to be online that I can find.

I used to live in Harrisburg. 14th St wasn't the place to be if you could avoid it. What surprised me from reading this thread how long it had been a revolving door of strangers. Today, it's still the place you don't want to find yourself in. Lots of month-to-month rentals and such.

An interesting case, though the chances of identifying her seem remote.

Two questions come to mind immediately:

1. When was the house built?

It seems likely that she was buried after then, rather than being there when the house was built, so it gives an earliest likely date.

2. Who was living in the house in the censuses before 1910 and in 1920?

You may be able to establish if a teenaged girl who was living there at one census then disappears from the record. I would guess that if she was skeletal in 1915, she was almost certainly buried before 1910.

According to the property records it was built in 1900.

Property Details for 133 S 14th St

This is a Single-Family Home located at 133 South 14th Street, Harrisburg, PA. 133 S 14th St has 5 beds, 1 bath, and approximately 1,884 square feet. The property has a lot size of 1,328 sqft and was built in 1900. 133 S 14th St is in the 17104 ZIP code in Harrisburg, PA.

Property Details for 133 S 14th St

The problem is: The house was built in 1900, the 1900 census was done in April. Could that house be completed by then or was the building completed in 1900 and already occupied. The next census would have been in 1910. (In NYS back in the early 1900's they had state census's on the off years of the federal census, i.e. 1905, 1915, 1925. I can't find any records of a PA state census. I believe this address 133 S 14th Street was in What WARD ??? For S 14th Street?

https://digitalharrisburg.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/harrisburg.jpg

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 15
Uh...just out of curiosity I tried to look up "missing girl PA" through my Newspapers.com account and came up with something very alarming:

attachment.php

The Pittsburgh Press, August 21, 1913

Why exactly did that state have so many missing persons in the early 1910's??

Wauw!! That are a lot in two months. There is a mix between men, boys, girls and women and different ages. It's hard to read, but I wonder if there could be some pattern recognized.

Thank you, MadMcGoo.

I wonder, would this case be of interest to @othram? I've never tagged you in a thread before, but this is one of those cases that have stayed on my mind since I first learned about it. Whoever did this to this poor kid is long gone for certain, but I feel a weird sadness to know that she's been gone and forgotten with no name to claim for herself for over a hundred years (!).

Thank you, MadMcGoo.

I wonder, would this case be of interest to @othram? I've never tagged you in a thread before, but this is one of those cases that have stayed on my mind since I first learned about it. Whoever did this to this poor kid is long gone for certain, but I feel a weird sadness to know that she's been gone and forgotten with no name to claim for herself for over a hundred years (!).
Interesting (and old) case. We will take a look.

Interesting (and old) case. We will take a look.
Thank you. I remember reading somewhere in the thread that she was buried in a potter's field on May 24th 1915, but I do not know which cemetery. My first thought is that it might be difficult to locate her, and I do not believe she will be a prioritised case with the LE or when fundings are concerned, unfortunately.

Thank you. I remember reading somewhere in the thread that she was buried in a potter's field on May 24th 1915, but I do not know which cemetery. My first thought is that it might be difficult to locate her, and I do not believe she will be a prioritised case with the LE or when fundings are concerned, unfortunately.

I'm thinking she's probably at the Dauphin County Cemetery (Potter's Field).

The elements have long since washed the numbers from many of these crude markers, poured by county prisoners as they did hard time over the years.

Without numbers, it's nearly impossible for the coroner's office to identify those buried in these plots, virtually voiding any memory of their lives.

----------------------------------------------
There is a lot about Potter's Field that even Hetrick doesn't know. For example, it's hard to tell how long it's existed. There might be other, similar, undetected cemeteries nearby, he said.

One of the earlier markers in Potter's Field is made of slate, in which the etched death date, "July 20, 1870," has been clearly preserved
Potter's Field: Eternal resting place for the unwanted and forgotten

SWATARA TOWNSHIP – The old Dauphin County Potter's Field log contains names, numbers and causes of death.

Some cases documented in the log date to the 1920s. Early on, many entries only listed a number in place of names.

Back in those days, the poor often ended up in Potter's Field.

Unknown bodies buried at Potter's Field are reflection of society, Dauphin County coroner says

Fittingly, it was Friday the 13th.

A foul odor reeked from the growing hole they opened. It was slow going. The ground was spiked with pieces of broken concrete from the basement floor that had been dug up before.

Prior tenants of the house at 133 South 14th Street had long noted a smothering stench in the basement, yet never knew its source.

The widening hole was more than two feet deep when one of the worker’s shovels excavated something odd. Not a fragment of cracked concrete or broken sewer pipe.

It looked like … a bone.

It had been charred black, as if burned.

The plumbers kept digging. Soon, more bones were brought up from the earth. Some were red-spotted, and the plumbers’ hands burned at the touch.

These bones had been laced with some sort of caustic agent or acid. Still, they kept digging, setting aside their eerie finds on the basement floor.

Then came a remnant of a shattered skull. There was no doubt. It was human. The biological puzzle being assembled hinted at a frail, fragile form.

This time, the workers ceased their digging and informed their boss. He notified Dauphin County Coroner Jacob Eckinger.
LBBXFBWBOJG7VCYEBICCHJUFT4.png

In this photo from the Feb. 16, 1915 edition of the Harrisburg Telegraph, officials wash out clues taken from the cellar of 133 S. 14th St. in Harrisburg. The dirt taken from the cellar was washed out on a screen to try to find any trinkets that may have belonged to the victim. Harrisburg Telegraph 1915

This being 1915, no forensic crime unit came swooping in. The coroner simply instructed Cashman to have his men complete the exhumation.

By the time workers finished that morning, the partial skeleton of what would be determined to be a teen girl had taken shape. Her grave measured about two-feet wide by three-feet deep. Its outline was unmistakable, as the walls surrounding it were packed hard and hadn’t been previously disturbed.

The skeleton’s trunk, legs and arms were intact. But a large section of the skull and part of the lower jaw were missing. Four teeth and a “mass of golden hair” were found near the broken skull.

The workers transported their discoveries to the only place they could think of – the plumbing company office. There, Cashman and his men reassembled the bones on a table.

Coroner Jacob Eckinger arrived with Dr. Roscoe Livingston Perkins, who handled the autopsies and forensic exams

The plumber, the coroner and the physician studied the scatter of bones, all arriving at the same conclusion:

“It looks to me like foul play,” Cashman was quoted as saying.

“There is no doubt in my mind that murder has been done,” Eckinger later opined in newspaper accounts.

Newspapers, the dominant media of the day, scoured the streets for a new angle on the hottest story in town. Most resorted to printing open speculation. All of it centered on the home, built in 1892, upon what had been a farm field. The property was owned by Ms. Minnie M. Burtner and managed and leased out by the W. E. Jones real estate company.

“The names of all the occupants of the house have been brought into the gossip which started simultaneously with the finding of the skeleton,” one newspaper account read.

“Neighbors who resided on that street for years are believed to know a great deal about the case,” the Patriot added.

Early suspicions centered on one nearby woman, a writer for magazines who spent most of her time at home, never mingling much, reports said.

“Many intimations were that she was a (odd) character, and some said she was a little off and several intimated that she was a witch,” one newspaper wrote.

Another article pointed an accusing finger at the “disreputable people” who lived next door. The article speculated that “these people may have done the tunneling” into the basement “to bury the body.”

There was another question at the core of the case, perhaps more fundamental than even the identity of the killer: Who was the girl in the grave?

Reporters and the county investigator soon focused on a dentist who had employed a teenage girl as a live-in nursemaid for his two young children during the time the family dwelled in the house.

Dr. Charles E. Ayres, who lived at the “Mystery Home” between 1901 and 1902 and had since relocated to York, soon had reporters at his door. But the dentist had no good answers for whatever happened to the teen girl he employed some 13 years before.

The sudden silence from dentist Charles E. Ayres made him appear more suspicious. One newspaper observed: “He seemed much worried and refused to say anything whatever about the murder mystery in Harrisburg or his connection with the house.”

In published reports, Ayres initially said he couldn’t recall the name of the girl, who would have been 15 when she worked for his family.

The dentist’s nursemaid came from a “broken home” in Mechanicsburg, he told reporters. But when his wife wanted to hire her again, Ayres said they couldn’t locate her.

He later confirmed her name was Bessie Guyer. But when her current whereabouts could not be determined, Ayres came under even more scrutiny. More @link
'Murder House': 106-year mystery begins with unknown girl buried in Harrisburg basement
*Who is the girl in the grave? Part Two coming…

In February of 1915, plumbers who were working on a leaky pipe unearthed the bones of a teenage girl who had been buried in the cellar of 133 S 14th Street in Harrisburg PA. Despite an exhaustive search (seriously, it was only a week or two), the coroner and the police failed to identify the girl, and were only able to determine that she was a victim of homicide. This unnamed girl was simply buried in Potter's field and forgotten.

This story gets to me because this was someone's daughter, sibling, etc. Her family probably spent the rest of their lives wondering what happened to her. The city of Harrisburg did a real disservice by disposing of her so quickly; they also allowed a killer to walk freely on the streets.

I am currently working on solving this case.If anyone out there has any suggestions on how I can find information (other than going to the PA archives or researching the Census records, area directories, or newspapers), please let me know! If anyone knows anything they think is relevant and not common knowledge (anything from the newspapers etc), or have access to records or evidence in Harrisburg, let me know! This girl needs her name back, and the killer needs to be identified.

C.D

This house was built in 1900, so I found a 1901 census map and tried to find this census record in Ancestry. I can't quite make out the name of the homeowner on the map (M. H. Wagner?) but I could not find further details on this potential name of the homeowner during this time.

For anyone else interested, here is the house info.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.55.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.55.32 PM.png
    735 KB · Views: 10
  • Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.24.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-10-04 at 1.24.19 PM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 8

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors