Description:
  • Date of Birth: January 11, 1958
  • Race: White/Caucasian
  • Height: 5'7" (67 inches)
  • Weight: 132 lbs.
  • Hair Color: Blond
  • Eye Color: Hazel
  • Nickname/Alias: Jim
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Wears eyeglasses.
  • Clothing & Personal Items: Eyeglasses.
  • Identifiers: Dental x-rays available.
Circumstances of Disappearance:
Kos was last seen leaving his place of employment in Monroeville, Pennsylvania in the late afternoon hours of April 22, 2000.** He never returned to his residence and has not been heard from again. Few details are available regarding his disappearance and his whereabouts remain unknown.

***some agencies list the missing year as 2004

Investigators:
  • Monroeville Police Department: (412) 856-3387
    Reference Case#: 00-022846
NamUs Case Number: MP5495
NCIC Case Number: Unknown

4923DMPA - James Kos
James Kos – The Charley Project

Another missing person with almost no information :(

Another missing person with almost no information :(
This is one of the ones I think of often as I live locally. I really wish there was more information.

I do not see any information about a vehicle? Does anyone know if he walked to work and back?
I don't remember any vehicle mention either. I used to go to that supermarket and Hill department store all the time, he worked either at Hill department store or it was another name, it was bought out. I lived up the road in Monroeville. I moved that year, July 2000 to FL, so I never read anything until I saw it here. I don't think it was in any paper or on TV that I recall about him missing.

I just did a google drive of where the plaza was, and it is gone. The whole area is different. But I know there is either another thread here, because I posted about him, and I know it said where he was working.

I don't remember any vehicle mention either. I used to go to that supermarket and Hill department store all the time, he worked either at Hill department store or it was another name, it was bought out. I lived up the road in Monroeville. I moved that year, July 2000 to FL, so I never read anything until I saw it here. I don't think it was in any paper or on TV that I recall about him missing.
Thank you for sharing, Skully. Cases like this frustrate me as there just is so little available to go on. I 100% support LE, but sometimes cases like this make me question just how much of an investigation was done.

Since you lived in the area, do you reckon it was plausible for James to walk to and from work, or did you even know where he lived at the time?

Thank you for sharing, Skully. Cases like this frustrate me as there just is so little available to go on. I 100% support LE, but sometimes cases like this make me question just how much of an investigation was done.

Since you lived in the area, do you reckon it was plausible for James to walk to and from work, or did you even know where he lived at the time?
Happy to help. So I just googled who bought out Hill's department stores and It was a K-Mart when I left, and I do believe that is where he worked. Yes you can walk, lots of people did. The plaza was on Northern Pike at the end of the road, it had a Giant Eagle food store opposite the K-Mart. Northern Pike is a long steep hill, but you can walk it. I don't know where he lived, but I did find an obit for I think his mom in 2002 (?)

Last edited:

I also don't think they (LE) had much to go on. In 2000 I only got a cell phone later that year, once I was in FL. So most likely no cell phone, no car, and that parking lot was dark, so no one saw anything. But I have to rethink the car, I am pretty sure he didn't have one, but I forget how they knew he went missing from there, maybe he was getting off work and there were people that knew he left. I have a vague memory that is was around 5 pm but can't say for sure.

If you have Google Earth, go to 4713 Northern Pike, Monroeville, PA and use the wayback clock to get to the closes date to 2000, you should be able to see the Kmart and area of the plaza. There is a spa there now.

If you have Google Earth, go to 4713 Northern Pike, Monroeville, PA and use the wayback clock to get to the closes date to 2000, you should be able to see the Kmart and area of the plaza. There is a spa there now.
OK....I'm a moron. Where is the "wayback clock"?

I initially asked about a vehicle thinking he might have ad an accident in the water, but now looking at the area, assuming he was heading straight home, I do not see any bodies of water deep or large enough for such an occurrence.

It's a little clock with an arrow pointing backwards on the toolbar.....

I initially asked about a vehicle thinking he might have ad an accident in the water, but now looking at the area, assuming he was heading straight home, I do not see any bodies of water deep or large enough for such an occurrence.
I have thought about him and what could have happened to him, and I just don't know. He could have met up with the wrong person offering him a ride, or was hit by a car and they decided not just get rid of the body. Maybe he had someone upset with him, or got robbed, but who knows now. Where he lived to the plaza is not that far, but he could have been a hit and run like I mentioned.

I have thought about him and what could have happened to him, and I just don't know. He could have met up with the wrong person offering him a ride, or was hit by a car and they decided not just get rid of the body. Maybe he had someone upset with him, or got robbed, but who knows now. Where he lived to the plaza is not that far, but he could have been a hit and run like I mentioned.
I hear you. IF he walked, at age ~60, Google maps calculates it at 22 minutes. He was much healthier than me!

Time out. Are you saying he is alive and well?
No, just saying if he was live he would be 65 today. I use a search that gives the age, and address of people, and it is pretty accurate. But if a person goes missing, it doesn't know that, but will update the age.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back