PA PA - Kortne Ciera Stouffer, 21, Palmyra, 29 July 2012 #7

JUL 29, 2023
[...]

The Stouffers say the event is held not only to remember Kortne, but also to keep her name alive.

“Our family was always very outdoorsy but she definitely introduced me to hiking and all of the beautiful scenic overlooks – and floating on the Swatty was something she definitely introduced us to,” said Kerstin Jennings, Kortne’s younger sister.

However, the event is never easy for the family, who has to relive Kortne’s disappearance every year.

“It’s difficult to keep asking every year for people to support it, but it’s all we have,” Jennings said. “So we have to just keep doing it because it’s the only way to keep her story out there and her name out there.”

[...]

JUL 30, 2023
[...]

It’s been a difficult road for the Stouffer family; however, the continued loyalty from supporters has not gone unnoticed.

“It means the world to our family to see everybody out here and just the calls, the messages, the texts and the actual physical appearances of everybody,” said Jennings.

Finding ways to move forward and persevere isn’t easy when all you want is to be with the ones you love.

“I just want a big Sunshine hug. That’s all,” said Stouffer.

Aug 9 2023
Carrie Perricone, Marni Hughes
  • ''Kourtne Stouffer disappeared in Palmyra, Pennsylvania, in 2012
  • Her family believes her friends may know more than they've said
  • Police were called to her apartment several times the night she vanished''
1691607955948.png
''On a hot July day, a group of friends and family took to the water in innertubes to remember Kortne Stouffer, whose disappearance remains a painful mystery that haunts her family.

“This is just kind of one of my favorite days of the year because we get to celebrate her. And we get to keep her name and memory out there and do something that she loved to do,” said Kortne’s sister, Kerstin Jennings.

The family has been looking for Kortne since she vanished in 2012. Kortne’s father, Scott Stouffer, said even people he doesn’t know have joined the effort to find Kortne.

Tonya Whipp: Sisters say she wouldn’t just walk away
“You look and see some of the same people been here 11 years in a row. Some of the people were our family and close friends, and some I’d never known before. It’s incredibly humbling,” Scott said.

Kortne was 21 when she vanished from her apartment in Palmyra, Pennsylvania during the early hours of July 29, 2012.''

Again, my questions: Front Door open/closed? 2 or 1 dog? TV on/off?
Just watched the Disappeared show on Kortne and I think the mom said the door was closed but unlocked and the TV was on as well as the AC. ANd they mentioned the one dog greeting her. Kortne's beloved dog. He had gone potty in the house which was very unusual the mom said.

Just watched the Disappeared show on Kortne and I think the mom said the door was closed but unlocked and the TV was on as well as the AC. ANd they mentioned the one dog greeting her. Kortne's beloved dog. He had gone potty in the house which was very unusual the mom said.
You may have heard right. I had listened to an interview Wendy did where she said the door was wide open and Sheeba greeted her outside of the home part way down the stairs case. As I have passed by the home numerous times there is a set of stairs leading up to a door on the side of the building. I could be wrong but this may be where Wendy met Sheeba.

Just posting to keep the search alive.

Has there ever been a report that states AB was cleared or are we just assuming that because he hasn't been arrested? I actually saw him at the gym I go to a few weeks ago and it's rough balancing that he could be innocent or that he could be a murderer. It would be nice if the police would share anything new. The case is over 10 years old. I get not being able to release information due to an ongoing investigation, but clearly the police don't have what they need. How could it possibly be harmful to an investigation where no progress has been made in a decade?

Another thing, does anyone know where I can find the lebanon daily news archives? I was looking through the first few threads again and almost all of those articles no longer exist. It sucks big time because now that information is very hard to retrieve. The comments on those articles contained many rumors that may or may not be helpful, but we'll never know now if they're gone forever. I'm basically relying on the websleuth forum comments about those articles, but since rumor posting without a source is discouraged, most of those posts don't actually say what the comments said. It's always just something like "did anyone see this comment on this article?".

You may have heard right. I had listened to an interview Wendy did where she said the door was wide open and Sheeba greeted her outside of the home part way down the stairs case. As I have passed by the home numerous times there is a set of stairs leading up to a door on the side of the building. I could be wrong but this may be where Wendy met Sheeba.
Wasn't it a decent bit of time until Kortne's mom made her way over to the apartment? It doesn't really make sense that the dog would go to the bathroom inside the house if it was trained and the door was open and I think it's hard to imagine that the door would be wide open that whole time without anyone seeing or saying anything, especially given the arguments with the neighbors. I'd imagine they would've been trying to keep an eye on her after she kicked TS.

So something DID occur to me about the police timeline. You can find a copy of the official Palmyra Police timeline here if you need your memory refreshed:

I call your attention to the first sentence of this entry:

July 29, 2012, 01:50
Kortne engages in a verbal altercation with the girlfriend of AB at the Hardware Bar in Harrisburg.

I'm going to ask... Why would that be phrased the way it is? It's strange. If AB had a girlfriend and her name was Jane Doe, then it should be phrased like so:

Kortne engages in a verbal altercation with Jane Doe at the Hardware Bar in Harrisburg.

But no - the girlfriend is not named. But her boyfriend is named instead. And no - he is not a celebrity that I know of. For example if he was Brad Pitt, I could see someone saying she got into an argument with Brad Pitt's girlfriend. Who else finds that odd and possibly revealing about the thought process of the police?

Any of you reading this think about it for a second - do people refer to your significant other as <your name>'s girl/boyfriend? NO - They name the person. This is odd. Who's with me?
I definitely agree. It took a while for ABs name to get out and my speculation would be that was because he was a suspect and they didn't want that in the news.

CP and MR would've known who he was when they were arguing at the bar yet no one named him to the media and, if IIRC, they actually said they didn't know who she argued with when their stories first leaked. Could that be them covering for AB or did the police tell them to keep that part quiet?

After much thought and research, I have been speculating on what happened to KS and who did it. I believe the time she may have been taken does depend on a number of factors as I have mentioned before. It is possible that CP just made a half hearted effort to see if she was there before he left, assuming she was asleep. But his text "what happened to you?" implies to me that maybe as he lay there half asleep she passed by him as she went outside. One thing for sure is that I would hate to be him. As the last person, that we know of, to see her, having to live all these years with just about everyone speculating that he had something to with it, or the guilt of feeling like he could have done more, or made sure she was there. I for one don't think he did it, or had anything to do with it, and that's just my opinion.

I also have a hard time believing this was an elaborate plan. It's feels and seems to me to be more of a crime of opportunity and/or maybe accidental. I can't believe that KS went silently or easily if she had even the slightest indication that she should fear for her safety. She doesn't seem to have any fear as she goes out that night, or from her actions earlier. She had a chance to go to her Mom's and turned it down, opting to stay alone, until she contacted/was contacted by someone to go out and party. If she did rip off a drug dealer, having parties and hanging out like this only invites retaliation. Maybe BH was the target of something and she got in the way. Not everyone knew he was in jail.

Maybe she went out barefoot to her car to retrieve something as simple as a lighter. They are out there, she walks up their car voluntarily. They subdue her quickly with minimal noise and are gone or they simply invite her to take a quick ride and talk about things and how to make them right again. Again, something that can be done quietly. That might explain the state the dwelling was in when WS arrived Monday morning compared to how CP left it. Again, my questions: Front Door open/closed? 2 or 1 dog? TV on/off?

However, one thing that makes me disagree with more than one abductor is that means it would have to be planned. The more planning, the more ears potentially and the more chances someone will talk. The only people who have a a snowballs chance of keeping their mouth shut would be family, like two brothers. That doesn't mean they won't come forward, but it's less likely they would against each other.

Lebanon County PA, is not exactly a crime ridden area. People don't just vanish. There is drug crime, however it's not a shooting gallery and never has been. Which makes me wonder about accidental........All just my opinion.
Regarding the barefoot part, I'd be interested to know how they know for sure she didn't have shoes with her. I'm a guy and have like 5 pairs scattered throughout the house, often wearing a different one every time I go outside. Some are shoes, some are sandals. If I went missing, I'm not sure my wife would know which pair I took. I've always wondered if they just saw the shoes she had in the picture of her in the bar from the night she disappeared and assumed that because she was still in those clothes she would've used the same shoes. How do we know she didn't have a random pair of $10 shoes that no one would remember because she didn't wear them often?

It seems like a minute detail, but her being barefoot vs her wearing shoes changes a lot. Hearing barefoot makes everything think she was lured by someone she knew or that she was only going out for a second, but if she had shoes on, she had intentions of going outside. She still could have been lured but at least we'd know that she chose to walk out the door rather than being forced or carried out.

Last edited:
This took me to a blank screen on the website. If you have a picture you can PM me, I can compare it to some pictures I mined from various sources showing her with other individuals.
Circling back to this, would it be possible for you to share those pictures with me? AB has an old Twitter, an old Facebook from before prison, and a newer active Facebook now so if images of him are still needed, there should be a few to go around. However, I've tried to find old images of Kortne and friends but most I find have been deleted, especially from news articles and every photo from her old MySpace is gone.

I was at a July 4th party this past week and my daughters boyfriend, who is a cop, was talking about a body recently discovered in Dauphin County. He said that police "think they know who it is" which prompted another guest to blurt out "Kortne Stauffer!?" His reply was "who?"

Man, I know it's not his fault and Dauphin wouldn't be the county investigating her, but it hurts to read that.

I wonder if they pressed AB about this at all when he was arrested for the robbery. It was 4 years after her disappearance so it wasn't fresh in everyone's mind and he was processed through dauphin county. If there are dauphin county cops who don't even know the name (albeit this is even further removed and not knowing her is more reasonable than 4 years after her disappearance) maybe they missed a prime opportunity to pressure him for info.

I am putting money on CP and MR in either of the 2 following scenarios...

1) CP has more then a crush on KS. Offers to take her out, help her clear her mind, aka drink. Follows her home to make sure she arrived alright, breaks up fight with neighbors to protect her, stays with her to make sure she is alright, makes a move on her when she starts to relax. my guess, she is passed out from drinking / stressful day and wakes up during his... advances. Starts kicking screaming, CP realizes he is caught and tries to keep her quiet, accidentally killing her. wraps her up and takes her wherever, dumps her off and drives back (he has MR's car still) and goes to Funcks to show he left the apartment and texts KS.

2) KS called out the man at the bar for robbing her place a few days earlier (apparently money counting machine, backpack and something else were stolen from what I read) Bar guy is the drug distributor for the area, doesn't like being called out in public. Tells CP and MR, likely dealers, she has to go. (explains why KS had to text them to come out of the bar after she was kicked out) They come out, think they stopped for food, dropped MR off and went to get KS's car. CP uses MR's car to follow KS home under the guise he wants to make sure she is ok. Mean while MR borrows a car from someone who couldn't be linked to KS. CP strangles KS, neighbors hear hence 3rd police call. MR in sheer luck arrives with "clean" car after police leave, they load drive and dump. MR heads back to return car / go home. CP goes back to KS apt, checks it's in order, goes to Funcks.

I can tell you a 5'8" female at 115lbs is not only very easy to physically overpower, especially if she had been drinking, but also very easy to move with little effort. In suffocation / strangulation, you are looking at 10 to 20 seconds max fight time, 3 seconds is possible if you press the right spots (Jarhead here) Also no mess other then possibly knocking something over by flailing.

I live close to this area (York) and this case bothers me as I have a 13 year old tall thin blonde daughter.
I also own an ROV (underwater sub with live video feed) and can search some of the possible areas of interest.
I saw a radial map in an earlier thread, but am not super familiar with Palmyra. I know Memorial Lake has been searched fairly well, what are some other suggestions?

The only reason I don't think this is it is that, even if he could easily over power her, his skin isn't made of steel. The only way she isn't going to at least leave a scratch on him is if she was in a position where she couldn't fight back, e.g. sleeping or tied up. With him being the last to see her, it's hard to imagine they didn't check him for signs of a fight.

Sorry to follow up on the inmate/parole pictures again. I'm on mobile at the moment, but yesterday I did find images of all convicted in this robbery. I will post them today if I remember once I get back to my computer. I dont recall seeing any links of the other guys to Kortne, but who knows. If AB was involved, they wouldn't need to know her.

Hey everyone just finally finished reading through ALL of the threads on here, and it took me quite a few days. I wanted to see everything before I posted. I remember when I was younger in high school hearing about Kortne missing, but never imagined one day many years later I would be part of her family. I am now engaged to her youngest brother, and I would be lying saying that seeing his grief, and his entire families didn’t make me take interest myself in her case. I just want to thank all of you for continuing to seek out the answers, and not giving up on this beautiful lady. I think as long as people continue to keep searching the answers will be found. I learned a lot from these posts, and so has her brother. There are obviously a ton of questions in here from all of you, some I know the answers, and some answers I’m not sure if I can disclose, because it is an ongoing investigation. Some I have absolutely no answer for. I have my own personal feelings about this case, and things that I find completely abhorrent by how some things were handled which in sense agreed upon by most of you. Something I’ve heard from my mother, that when drugs are involved Lebanon county doesn’t really feel it’s worthy to put in the resources it would take to solving something. I’ve also had my own brush with LE over something they even knew at the end I was set up for, which saved me from serving jail time, but still I had no recompense for the lawyer I had to have, and still required to pay a fine for “court costs” and dropped down from a misdemeanor, but still have a summary charge against me. As we can see by the search of the lake, and how long that even took giving the murder or murders ample time to move her body even if she was their. Very sad it was handled the way that it was Kortne deserved better than that. If there was a lead they should have acted immediately or let the countless volunteers come to do the job they should have done immediately. Also for the people who keep asking about the rug, yes their was a rug missing from her apartment. That one detail is what made me think Amanda’s story had any truth to it whatsoever. Yes I can tell she seems irrational, and clearly doesn’t think before she does things, but how she even knew that detail was enough to know there was truth to what she was saying. I can’t help but find it ironic that her guest that night seemed to sleep through everything the supposed knock on the door by LE that no one can confirm, and even the rug “magically” disappearing. Especially for someone who was a DD, and clearly was competent that night to drive her home in someone else’s car at that. The whole thing makes no sense, and something I’ve learned also is if it doesn’t make sense then it’s probably not true. I know that from what I’ve seen from an easy fb search they are all connected in someway, and Ghosts theory which sounds the most probable to me minus her leaving that night. That rug didn’t go missing if that’s the case let’s be real. Never have we heard about the sound cloud though, and all the other things he mentioned. Also seems to me maybe LE doesn’t relay everything to the family or maybe the family refuses to believe Kortne had anything to do with robbing anyone which could be true, maybe it wasn’t her, maybe it was her BF. It would be sad that out of retaliation for him they came after her, but I guess I’ve heard stranger things like CPs whole story. Also someone mentioned the truck driver Adam Lane, he actually killed my aunt Dar, and if you actually looked into his case you would see he left it bloody, and with the bodies of his victims. One thing I’m sure of people can try to escape justice on this world, but one day it catches up with them. Either here or the next. Don’t think you will be forgiven when you let a grieving family live in pain for years, and do nothing to make it end or bring closure to them. The man who killed my aunt has a better chance at forgiveness from God then the coward or cowards who did this, and would continue to let the family live without the truth to this not even giving them the closure to let them burry their daughter. There is a special place in hell for people like this. Yes God forgives, but really REALLY are you sorry?
Not sure how I missed this post before, but thank you for sharing what we can. Is the rug missing 100% confirmed to be related to her disappearance or is there any doubt? Asking because like you said, that would clarify where the crime happened. There's no reason for the rug to be missing unless it was to conceal her or hide evidence e.g. blood.

However, similar to the shoe theory, it's possible the rug was disposed of before she disappeared and could be a red herring. I'm purely speculating on that and have no reason to believe you are
incorrect. Did the police take the rug for evidence? Did her mom notice the rug was missing immediately or did it trickle out later? I know you have to he cautious in what you share, but at this point if you have anything else you could contribute it would be greatly appreciated. It feels like it's been so long since anyone had had anything new to share and with nothing new to discuss, the case stays out of the spotlight.

Just posting to keep the search alive.

Has there ever been a report that states AB was cleared or are we just assuming that because he hasn't been arrested? I actually saw him at the gym I go to a few weeks ago and it's rough balancing that he could be innocent or that he could be a murderer. It would be nice if the police would share anything new. The case is over 10 years old. I get not being able to release information due to an ongoing investigation, but clearly the police don't have what they need. How could it possibly be harmful to an investigation where no progress has been made in a decade?

Another thing, does anyone know where I can find the lebanon daily news archives? I was looking through the first few threads again and almost all of those articles no longer exist. It sucks big time because now that information is very hard to retrieve. The comments on those articles contained many rumors that may or may not be helpful, but we'll never know now if they're gone forever. I'm basically relying on the websleuth forum comments about those articles, but since rumor posting without a source is discouraged, most of those posts don't actually say what the comments said. It's always just something like "did anyone see this comment on this article?".
I believe that he was questioned a few times, but I do not recall if anyone ever stated that he was no longer a suspect, person of interest or anything else. There is a website called newspapers.com that has archived papers. There is a 7 day free trial, then there's a subscription fee. You could also try the local libraries in Lebanon Country, or contact the Lebanon Daily News and see if they can help. I have found social media posts to be the most interesting when you dig into the comments. The Facebook Remember page for KS, some of the various YouTube videos/podcasts/broadcasts. A lot of things being said some totally nuts for attention. There were a couple that shocked me a bit but not going to repeat them here.

My opinion is that LE has a pretty good idea, but not enough evidence, body etc. I think they are all hoping (KS family and LE) that someone will need that reward money and come forward. $100K is disappear money for low level drug thugs if that's who they suspect
After listening to the family describe the DA and LE's hard work and chasing down leads, (something you would get the impression they weren't doing, early on), and hiring a PI who is still on the case as far as I know. The lead detective was the Stauffer's next door neighbor and watched Kortne grow up and was\is very dedicated to finding her. I am pretty sure any alarming comment from social media would have made their way to LE if someone found them credible.

Thanks for posting and keeping it alive.

I believe that he was questioned a few times, but I do not recall if anyone ever stated that he was no longer a suspect, person of interest or anything else. There is a website called newspapers.com that has archived papers. There is a 7 day free trial, then there's a subscription fee. You could also try the local libraries in Lebanon Country, or contact the Lebanon Daily News and see if they can help. I have found social media posts to be the most interesting when you dig into the comments. The Facebook Remember page for KS, some of the various YouTube videos/podcasts/broadcasts. A lot of things being said some totally nuts for attention. There were a couple that shocked me a bit but not going to repeat them here.

My opinion is that LE has a pretty good idea, but not enough evidence, body etc. I think they are all hoping (KS family and LE) that someone will need that reward money and come forward. $100K is disappear money for low level drug thugs if that's who they suspect
After listening to the family describe the DA and LE's hard work and chasing down leads, (something you would get the impression they weren't doing, early on), and hiring a PI who is still on the case as far as I know. The lead detective was the Stauffer's next door neighbor and watched Kortne grow up and was\is very dedicated to finding her. I am pretty sure any alarming comment from social media would have made their way to LE if someone found them credible.

Thanks for posting and keeping it alive.
I was searching around on newspapers.com but couldn't find anything relevant. When I searched her name the only things that were found were just lists of names from school-related things, which was pretty depressing in its own. I'm not sure if they hide anything until you're subscribed though. I'll definitely contact them to see if they can point me in the right direction.

I'm actually in the process of reading through the facebook page too. I'm trying to put together a blog post that has everything, even including the rumors that don't seem to make sense. I'm hoping that maybe in a few of them there will be a shred of truth that'll help someone piece something together. I have no idea if self-promotion is allowed, but if it is I'll post it here when complete. I've personally spent like 30+ hours reading through all of the threads here, court records, facebook pages, and random google searches trying to find anything that could help so I figured if I could do it again and record the things I've learned, I can possibly remove a barrier of entry for someone smarter than me or someone with more local connections that could piece something together. Crazy rumors sometimes have a shred of truth, but I plan to label them as something with no actual proof. As you said though, this forum is not the place for that kind of speculation. I agree that some of them are bizarre to say the least.

And I should clarify, I don't mean to make it sound like the detective and the police department don't care, but the truth is that they don't have much experience in this area with murder investigations, especially in 2012. There was so much public misinformation, few search party requests, few if any press conferences, and late requests for video surveillance from close businesses that it's clear the investigation missed out on obtaining some potential clues. I can say with 100% confidence the detective is doing his best to solve it, but the actions of the police department throughout the investigation are showing that they aren't doing what is needed to solve this. I hope they're close, but as I read through the first 6 posts on Kortne, I see people saying the same thing over and over again. "They're only quiet because they are close". Most of those posts are from 10 years ago and man, I don't even know this girl but it's painful to read "they're being quiet because they are close" only to know how wrong that was. I don't want to pretend like I know more than them because hindsight is 20/20, but it's difficult to not wonder if she would have been found by now if they were able to get the video surveillance from nearby businesses.

Thanks for asking more questions, keeps things going and jogs memories. As for the rug, I can not say with certainty if one was missing or not. It was touched on here or there, but it seems to come from Amanda's recount, and I have never been able to totally be convinced of it, and I'm not sure I want to go back over pages and pages of posts as I have done that twice now, recently and a few years ago.
My understanding is that AB's crime of a home invasion was committed in 2012, and he wasn't convicted until 2016. The common story is Kortne confronted AB at the Hardware Bar believing he was responsible for a break in at her place.
Both MR and CP have active FB pages, as does Kortne, but hers seems that it may have been sanitized, meaning negative looking things being removed. I also think Ghost's posting on here have some merit and at this point anything is possible.
I think the best sources are the interviews that Scott and Wendy have given over the years to different podcasts and productions. I can't remember which program it was, but to me it seems to be the most thorough and that is Wendy's interview where she states the door was wide open and the dog greeted her half way down the stairs leading to the apartment. She is also the one who was praising LE and the DA, where I found out the lead detective was her former neighbor who took the case very personal.
Scott, on the other hand has said something interesting alluding to what happened possibly being an accident. That, to me sounds like whomever took her, she went voluntary, maybe they were trying to scare her and something went very wrong, and that is why he said that. That could also imply they know who, just need evidence or a confession.

One thing from all I have heard about KS, at 5'8" and full of spunk, being loud and mouthy, I can't imagine she would go quietly if she felt she was in danger.

Obviously, everything I am saying is speculation on my part. But, there are some unanswered questions and you have added another: the rug. So to sum up questions I've had:

Question for Cp: Was the TV on when you left?
Questions for WS: Was the door open or closed when you arrived? Was there one dog or 2?
General questions: Was a rug missing or not? When was Brad's dog picked up? Was the second dog there when KS and CP came home from the bar? Cop's say there were "dogs" barking when they knocked on the door at 4:30 AM. So when did the second dog get picked up?

All of these things can be helpful in establishing a time frame of when she went missing. I actually think it was sometime Sunday morning, after 7:30AM. But hey, that's just my opinion.

Wasn't it a decent bit of time until Kortne's mom made her way over to the apartment? It doesn't really make sense that the dog would go to the bathroom inside the house if it was trained and the door was open and I think it's hard to imagine that the door would be wide open that whole time without anyone seeing or saying anything, especially given the arguments with the neighbors. I'd imagine they would've been trying to keep an eye on her after she kicked TS.
Yes, it was. She didn't go over until the next (Monday) morning, and I agree it would have been a bit strange for the door to be wide open and no one notice. However, the interview I heard WS said it was wide open and Sheeba greeted her halfway down the stair case, outside of the apartment. On the side of the house is a wide combined ramp stairway that leads up to a 2nd floor door. I believe this is the way into her apartment and where I believe Wendy would have met Sheeba. My understanding is that she had a 2nd floor apartment that had a second floor of it's own. So from the ground she had floors two and three of the back half of a duplex. Parking is in the back. There is an alley that leads to the lot from 2 directions. The lot itself looks like it can park a number of cars. The home is one or two houses from a traffic light intersection and faces Rt 422.
I also gleaned that the neighbors, especially the married couple weren't exactly thrilled when KS moved in, in the first place. So, it is possible if the door was wide open, they may have not noticed, or if they did, just brushed it off to KS being irresponsible.

And, once again here we are with more questions that have never been answered. Did they notice the door open? Was it open. Was the dog(s) barking. Did they hear any sounds from the apartment? Cars coming and going, car doors closing? Again, when was the boyfriends dog picked up by his dad? It can get quiet frustrating because all of these things do actually matter when establishing a time frame.

Other than KS walking out of the apartment on her own and meeting with misadventure at another location, removing her from the apartment inside a rolled up rug is at the top of my list. Given that most actors don't spend a lot of time digging a grave or carrying remains miles into a wooded area, I'm a little surprised that a hunter has not found them. Given time restraints to drive somewhere, dump the remains and drive back before anyone noticed, she can't be all that far away.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Graceyfc
Back