Identified! PA - Philadelphia - 'Boy in the Box' - 4UMPA - Feb'57 - Joseph Augustus Zarelli #4

From what I think he was the first child and is y the other kids didn’t know about him and the mom probably was at home and really never went out 2 much or whatever she did Joseph was still in the house she never took him out now if anything that’s something also maybe he fell and got hurt from being at home by himself and also maybe mom went out 1 day came back and little joesph was dead

• Sad
Reactions: IDK
I have speculated about him having some sort of special needs or delays. To me, the combination of his neglected state and the fact that nobody reported a missing child in the area where they now think he lived have made me wonder whether he was being hidden by his family, or if he was special needs, maybe he didn't have the skills to make himself known to neighbors, etc. I know that my own children at four years old were very vocal and social, always wanting to be outside in the yard, waving and chatting to neighbors, helping with small tasks when we worked outside. Even my child who had speech delays made himself well-known to everybody around us. So it's only speculation after having my own kids that age, but Joseph's absence from local life makes me wonder if there was something about his development. But it's only MOO of course.
I agree with you on that i still love 2 know how nobody knew he was there

Remember, they had to get a court order to obtain any birth certificate. And in the process of doing that they had to be clear with the court what their purpose was - to find the birth certificate of the unknown boy. Well, he was dead in 1957 and obviously older than one year. However, he was malnourished and possibly older than he appeared. They went back farther than necessary to be sure to get all possible birth dates in there, but no judge is going to approve a search for a birth certificate with a date of a year or two after a child's death. I don't think 1956 had anything to do with the mother. It's just how the vital records office and the court works. Imo.
Following this train of thought. Children born AFTER his death would also not be witnesses (nor likely have any knowledge) MOO

Following this train of thought. Children born AFTER his death would also not be witnesses (nor likely have any knowledge) MOO
Yes, they would only have value in this particular case if for some reason they needed an additional source if DNA.

That being said when Paul Fronzack looked for birth certificates of children born to his bio mom he found yet another infant unaccounted for.
It could potentially show patterns in behavior but this case is complex enough without looking for additional mysteries.

I was actually speaking to a lawyer friend about this that practices in PA. They said that the birth certificate range can easily be explained. They said that when applying to view those certificates from the orphan court, you can't just ask for all certificates or have a range that isn't relevant to the current investigation. They most likely picked those years because LE already "knew" who the mother was based on DNA, and they requested documents to show all of her live births prior to Joseph's death. They knew she had two other children living from that time. Moo, because this person that explained this to me isn't on here.

I was actually speaking to a lawyer friend about this that practices in PA. They said that the birth certificate range can easily be explained. They said that when applying to view those certificates from the orphan court, you can't just ask for all certificates or have a range that isn't relevant to the current investigation. They most likely picked those years because LE already "knew" who the mother was based on DNA, and they requested documents to show all of her live births prior to Joseph's death. They knew she had two other children living from that time. Moo, because this person that explained this to me isn't on here.
This is exactly what I was trying to say!!

Sadly, this is entirely possible.

Also this was the 1950's....

There just weren't support resources for single parents.

Heck, almost all of my pregnant acquaintances and friends I know in the early 70's "got married". (Most of those ended in the divorce)

Usually if the father of the child wouldn't get involved, a marriage to someone else usually occurred shortly afterward. (The mom would find someone)

Very rarely would family members help a single mom.

There was tremendous pressure to "get married" or "give up your child for adoption". However, the adoptions that I knew of were all legit. However, "getting married" was by far the number one option. Adoption was not as common and it was more common among younger teens who were not of marrying age. Adoption always involved "going away to a home".

Someone I knew had a child out of wedlock and the guy dumped her while she was pregnant. While she was pregnant, she found someone else. When the baby was a few months old, they got married. He ended up abusing the child.

However, this was when I was in high school 70-74. I can't imagine the 50's.

ETA: I think the JAZ's mom was likely on the "older side"...in OTW at least 21 MOO (just based on my ramblings and remembering how it was)

Wish the front page from this article was available
Or maybe a widow of child bearing age.

I'm actually seeing patients in fox chase today. I wanted to stop at the site and the cemetery. Does anyone know the cross street? I know it's Susquehanna. Thank you ahead of time!
There is a historic marker at the site, on the north side of Susquehanna Rd, about 50 yards west of Ernest Way.

ETA: The marker is approximate, as the exact discovery location was obliterated when the area was developed.

Last edited:
I saw one of the cut hairs on JAZ's forehead. This particular hair was about 1/4 inch long.

At 2:33, they state, "Pieces of trimmed hair were still on the boy's body" and then zoom in to this particular piece of hair

Lt. Ken Coluzzi, (who has been leading the investigation since the late 90's) "None of the leads panned out and they all fell through".

Screenshot Capture - 2022-12-18 - 12-34-41.png

Last edited:
It really is! I wonder if that information is disclosed when the house is sold. Imagine not knowing and then finding out in just the past couple of weeks. Ugh!

I recently read about a company that you can contract with to research whether any crimes, such as murder, occurred in your home. I'm starting to think that they may need to expand to researching the land under and around the house too.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blondeboricua
Back