PA PA - Philadelphia, WhtFem 40-60, UP17721, upper denture w/D Spizzirri, frontal lobotomy, May'72

One last thing to add... In the 1930 Census report of Elizabeth and John Spizziri living at the home of Charles Myres, it was also noted that Elizabeth's first marriage took place was when she was age 15. I wonder if she was married to someone else before Frank. If so, I wonder if Stephenson/Stevenson her not maiden name but (maybe) the last name of her first husband?

Exactly my thoughts. Elizabeth, like Dorothy, is hard to find. Also Stevenson could be written in many ways, what could cloudy a finding. Then there is Elizabeth S. born in Pennsylvania vs a Elizabeth S. born in New York. And I can't find Frank's Sr. whereabouts in Pennsylvania. 3 of the children seems to have been born there. Birth records of Pennsylvania are very limited BTW. Still nothing about little Frank. He could have died at the orphanage and was put in an anonymous grave.

I also found a Dorothy Stevenson, born July, 1929, in Houston, NY.

I wonder what happened to Elizabeth after 1930. I wonder if there are any additional leads for possible DNA leading back to Daurtha/Dorothy. I wonder if Elizabeth had siblings? Are there any avenues to search beyond this?

In the marriage certificate of Mary, signed in 1950, Elizabeth is stated to be living in Binghampton, New York. I'm not sure if this is fact persé or just "paperwork". If she was actually living there she can be found in the 1950 census, recently released? It isn't available in My Heritage (yet?).

Last edited:
I was trying to keep this off WS in the hope I'd be able to share a positive ID (and because of the TOS, I try to keep rule-breaking off the website so as not to get the boot...) but it's not been a quick process. Lots of speculation and unnecessary doubling of research here, and I'm not sure if anyone else has contacted any authorities, so I figure it's time to post before an unintentional bombardment ensues.

I've been in contact with a relative of Dorothy's. He only met her a few times when he was young, but he remembers she always lived in mental hospitals and he believes this UID is likely her. She was the daughter of Frank (of Italy/PA/NY), who was married to Elizabeth and Anna. The relative is willing to help identify her (i.e. DNA, if it comes down to that and it's a possibility). We also spoke about getting her a proper headstone when she is officially ID'd.

I've also been in touch with the ME on her case. She is absolutely swamped with work (I think there are pandemic-related staffing issues and/or an increase in cases due to covid deaths) but she is determined to call around and figure out what records are accessible for matching.

I connected the relative and the ME, and I am looped out of any further correspondence between them.

On a personal note, I keep a sticky note on my desk at work about Dorothy. Before even my own relatives, she was the first person I searched for in the 1950 census when it became public (I passed the record on to the ME a few months ago). The brutality of Dorothy's death is magnified by her disabilities -- her scars tell the story of a difficult life. I'd love to see renewed media attention and perhaps new testing of the evidence, if any is left.

I also wonder if there is any connection between this murder and another Philadelphia Jane Doe. Something about it just sticks in my mind. **PM photos**

In the marriage certificate of Mary, signed in 1950, Elizabeth is stated to be living in Binghampton, New York. I'm not sure if this is fact persé or just "paperwork". If she was actually living there she can be found in the 1950 census, recently released? It isn't available in My Heritage (yet?).

Late last night I located a 1910 Census: Walter G Stevenson age 29 (head of household), wife Fanny Stevenson age 27, with five children listed... Harrit S age 8, Charles H age 6, Joseph E age 4, Annie L age 2, and Elizebeth age 0 living (Third St) Lancaster PA. At some point I hope to search this Elizebeth and family a bit more. I'll also try to find a 1950 Census for Elizabeth for the NY area as you mentioned. I think it's best to look in all areas of possibilities. I'm certainly not the best at searching these leads so I appreciate working with everyone as a team in these efforts.

I was trying to keep this off WS in the hope I'd be able to share a positive ID (and because of the TOS, I try to keep rule-breaking off the website so as not to get the boot...) but it's not been a quick process. Lots of speculation and unnecessary doubling of research here, and I'm not sure if anyone else has contacted any authorities, so I figure it's time to post before an unintentional bombardment ensues.

I've been in contact with a relative of Dorothy's. He only met her a few times when he was young, but he remembers she always lived in mental hospitals and he believes this UID is likely her. She was the daughter of Frank (of Italy/PA/NY), who was married to Elizabeth and Anna. The relative is willing to help identify her (i.e. DNA, if it comes down to that and it's a possibility). We also spoke about getting her a proper headstone when she is officially ID'd.

I've also been in touch with the ME on her case. She is absolutely swamped with work (I think there are pandemic-related staffing issues and/or an increase in cases due to covid deaths) but she is determined to call around and figure out what records are accessible for matching.

I connected the relative and the ME, and I am looped out of any further correspondence between them.

On a personal note, I keep a sticky note on my desk at work about Dorothy. Before even my own relatives, she was the first person I searched for in the 1950 census when it became public (I passed the record on to the ME a few months ago). The brutality of Dorothy's death is magnified by her disabilities -- her scars tell the story of a difficult life. I'd love to see renewed media attention and perhaps new testing of the evidence, if any is left.

I also wonder if there is any connection between this murder and another Philadelphia Jane Doe. Something about it just sticks in my mind. **PM photos**

Well, this is great news! So glad the ME got back to you on this case (as I didn't receive a reply but assumed they were very busy). It's interesting to see how we all work together to care for UID's as if they are our own family... and this Dorothy has needed her name for soooo long now. I am now hopeful this will happen!

And, yes the other PA Jane Doe case is very similar!

Great! I only wish we knew this before. It would have saved us a lot of time researching.

Great! I only wish we knew this before. It would have saved us a lot of time researching.

I even had a dream about this research last night. 'Seems some of us have been circling Daurtha/Dorothy and her mother's history for a long time :(

Who knows how this will all pan out... I just hope she is identified before we all pass away!

You are amazing as always!

Is there a way i could contribute to the headstone? I'm not sure we are allowed to discuss it here but, if you start a fundraising acc or similar, please let me know.
MOO JMO

ETA: rewording

You are amazing as always!

Is there a way i could contribute to the headstone? I'm not sure we are allowed to discuss it here but, if you start a fundraising acc or similar, please let me know.
MOO JMO

ETA: rewording
My original plan was to contact the Phila Daily News, the paper offering the reward, for info to see if 1) the reward money still exists, and 2) if an ID counts as "info," or if they were looking for info on the murder specifically. If that money was available, I would have asked them to put it toward the headstone. I have yet to do the research on locating her remains, so this is at the "pipe dream" stage, but I know we'll do what we can to give her a dignified resting place.

@UnlicensedPI , you are amazing!! So wonderful!! I hope the ME and the family member are able to get the job done. I didn't realize her remains were not located as yet. Is that correct? Well, since we are all on board with the fact that this is the right person, locating her remains is up next to sleuth! JMO MOO

I just found this. It is a long article, but explains what conditions were like in many phychiatric hospitals in the past. There are other articles in the series. I hope I linked this correctly. I'm not very good at this sort of stuff.
'

Attachments

• Bedlam 1946 | American Experience | Official Site | PBS.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 3
Another find is the actual patient files of the Rome State school. Unfortunately , it seems you need to have AUTHORIZATION to view these files . Sigh. This website is the New York State Archives, so there might be other info somewhere on this site. JMO MOO

Attachments

• New York State Rome Developmental Disabilities Services Office Patient Case Files.pdf
    121.8 KB · Views: 4
@UnlicensedPI , you are amazing!! So wonderful!! I hope the ME and the family member are able to get the job done. I didn't realize her remains were not located as yet. Is that correct? Well, since we are all on board with the fact that this is the right person, locating her remains is up next to sleuth! JMO MOO
I'm sure the ME knows the location of her remains, I just haven't done the legwork to figure that out yet. I don't want to give the impression her remains are missing.

I'm sure the ME knows the location of her remains, I just haven't done the legwork to figure that out yet. I don't want to give the impression her remains are missing.
I try to remain hopeful that the body can be located and DNA is retrievable at some point. It's not always possible in some of the older UID cases.... sad but somewhat understandable for the time periods.

I never knew census reports were searchable like this. A helpful genealogy tool. 'Just thought I'd share for any others who may not know. This is for 1950 but prior years are available, also.

The Federal Census is usually indexed by volunteers afaik. I did not work on the 1950 but have worked on death records.

The handwriting can be difficult, sometimes the enumerators spelling, er, falls short.

Humans!

jmho ymmv lrr

I'd venture to say that she's buried at the former City Cemetery/Potter's Field on Dunks Ferry Road, which was in use from 1956 to the late 1980s. But when exactly she was buried I don't know. I've found articles for burials done in '74, '75, '76 and '79 but none (yet) for '72 or '73. I'm thinking '73. The attached article snip (Philly Daily News 10/15/1974) says burials at Potter's Field were done once a year.

Attachments

• Dunks Ferry Philly UIDs 1974.JPG
    Dunks Ferry Philly UIDs 1974.JPG
    64.4 KB · Views: 12
Before I signed up here, I had submitted Dorothy to the regional program manager on the UID's case. I just heard back this week confirming that they had forwarded my information, on but nothing more.

I should have signed up here sooner, you all did the same work I did, could have saved some time!

I'm glad you submitted it. Thanks!

When I saw Dorothy listed on the census at "Rome State School (Mental Defectives)" along with the UID's lobotomy my heart did sink. Between the name being uncommon and the medical history it seems far too big of a coincidence to not be a match.

If only we could do something to find out who killed her...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
W4R_DR1V3R
Back