PA - Rebekah Byler, 23, mother & six months pregnant, murdered, Crawford County, 26 Feb 2024 *Arrest*

Home invasion on the Amish? What is there valuable enough to consider such a thing? I think it's more than that. He was there for a reason and it wasn't to steal.

Burglary doesn't constitute theft. Burglary is entering a place to commit a crime, any crime.

JMO
Do Amish people use banks? Do they keep large amounts of cash in their homes?

15 March (Lower) Court Date

Defendant:
Shawn Christopher Cranston, M/52

Decendants:
Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
UnBorn Baby -
[Due May 2024]

&
See Also:

PSP = Pennsylvania State Police - Incident 24-255133
W/N/F 23 = White/Non-Hispanic/Female 23 Years Old
W/N/N 52 = White/Non-Hispanic/Male 52 Years Old

Last edited:
Some people have the impression that Amish people keep huge amounts of cash in the house.
I’ve worked at banks recently, and the Amish in Lancaster County use banks with no problem. Some aren’t much for debit or credit cards, but others bank the same as everyone else does. But I still think many do have a stockpile of cash in case they want to buy something large (equipment, work supplies, etc) from a private individual who wants paid in cash.

Home invasion on the Amish? What is there valuable enough to consider such a thing? I think it's more than that. He was there for a reason and it wasn't to steal.

Burglary doesn't constitute theft. Burglary is entering a place to commit a crime, any crime.

JMO
Exactly correct. Kohberger in Idaho is also charged with burglary.

Cranston, pictured here for the first time, is married to nurse Jamie, 46, was taken into custody Saturday morning when he was arraigned at 4.24am and committed to Crawford County Jail.

His Facebook bio reads: 'I'm someone's worst nightmare if they mess with me and mine'.

He has been charged with criminal homicide, criminal homicide of an unborn child, burglary, and criminal trespass. He is not eligible for bail.

Shawn Cranston, 52, from Corry, Pennsylvania was arrested today morning for allegedly murdering pregnant Rebekah Byler, 23, in her home on Monday

Bylers' two- and three-year-old children were in the home when their mother was killed. It fell to her husband, Andy, to make the gruesome discovery of her dead body.

Police have not released any information regarding the scene beyond confirming that she was shot and that her death was a homicide.

One Amish woman declined to comment beyond telling DailyMail.com: 'We like to keep things among ourselves. We're not talking to protect the parents and the husband'.
Bbm.
I'd hope they're speaking to LE about everything they know.

This is sad and baffling, I can't imagine a motive ?
Amish mostly mind their own business and don't mingle with outsiders except when doing carpentry work, etc.

Rest in peace, Rebekah and unborn child !

15 March (Lower) Court Date

Defendant:
Shawn Christopher Cranston, M/52

Decendants:
Rebekah A. Byler, F/23
UnBorn Baby

&

PSP = Pennsylvania State Police - Incident 24-255133
W/N/F 23 = White/Non-Hispanic/Female 23 Years Old
W/N/N 52 = White/Non-Hispanic/Male 52 Years Old
Interesting. Thanks for the links. Where did you find the info about Cranston’s “decendants”?

Last edited:
This seems targeted. So, who had a problem with her? One of her ex's? An ex of her husband? Seems weird to wait this long to do something.
A jeep was in the drive way and around the home.

Hmmm...... is she Amish or Mennonite?

A lot of times, the two groups get confused as conservative Mennonite congregations look pretty Amish like in regards to dress. Likewise, recreational car usage / ownership by conservative Mennonites can be "verboten". So some may not connect them much with cars.

That aside, a jeep and your possibility of an angry ex could imply the victim is conservative Mennonite car using, but not necessarily car extolling instead of Amish (horse buggies only).

As a side note, Amish converts do exist- though like with ultra Orthodox Jews, they tend to be rare. So... she could concievably be Amish and have an ex "in the world".

Last edited:

Drives for a trucking company in Waterford, PA.

Looks like the trucking company delivers stuff like topsoil and fill dirt.

Could there have been some disagreement previously over services rendered or something? I still wonder if it's mistaken identity. MOO.

An additional comment on the place where the arrested perp worked, Nelson Trucking in Waterford, PA. In looking for the company, a couple of times, it gives a link for an Erie (city) Community Development web page that includes a list of MBE and WBE City Contractors and Vendors. But Nelson Trucking is not listed. Did they used to be listed and aren't anymore due to a dispute or problems? Could this somehow figure into motive?

Total speculation and MOO.

......One Amish woman declined to comment beyond telling DailyMail.com: 'We like to keep things among ourselves. We're not talking to protect the parents and the husband'.
BBM
Bbm.
I'd hope they're speaking to LE about everything they know...

Many people are familiar with Amish reluctance or refusal to become involved in court cases. However, the biggest issue is they believe they should not "take" someone to court, as in civil cases over money, possessions, etc. Murder is different, because it's the State taking the accused to court over a crime, not the Amish themselves going to count for financial gain. They still wish they didn't have to get involved, but I'm confident the Amish in this community have cooperated with the law as needed. What this lady being quoted by the reporter is saying, is that she's not interested in her 15 min of fame, or the money she might get paid for sharing jucy details. It IS the Daily Mail, after all! Smart lady.

Last edited:
An additional comment on the place where the arrested perp worked, Nelson Trucking in Waterford, PA. In looking for the company, a couple of times, it gives a link for an Erie (city) Community Development web page that includes a list of MBE and WBE City Contractors and Vendors. But Nelson Trucking is not listed. Did they used to be listed and aren't anymore due to a dispute or problems? Could this somehow figure into motive?

Total speculation and MOO.

I honestly don't know if he is still employed there. The photo of the truck is on his facebook page. (IMO)

Last edited:
Amish mostly mind their own business and don't mingle with outsiders except when doing carpentry work, etc.
Good point, Amish tend to be socially isolated from other people.

Mennonites, however, can range from being near Amish in regards to social isolation to having near the same social contacts as everybody else.

The house appears to have a double garage. Depending on the Mennonite congregation, the ability to own a work truck does mean alot of non work related driving. Thus, they can be confused with Amish.

I just can help but think that poor victim was Mennonite and not Amish

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jp.52203