PA - Spotted Lanternfly invasion in Pennsylvania: Urgent call for community action to curb population surge

It’s nightmarish where I’m at. Like a Hitchcock movie. They are everywhere! And people are stepping up, literally. Men in suits, women in heels, stomping and smashing as they walk to and from work downtown.

A united force of vigilante exterminators!

I live close to Hershey PA, we are not seeing a bunch yet however we've gone thru this in previous years and I can't tell you how much of a headache they are. They kill everything. See them, kill them. Thanks in advance.

If you use a torch, get a high intensity propane torch head that's suitable for use with MAPP cylinders, at any hardware or big-box DIY store. The button trigger will obviate the need to flick your Bic or strike a light.
For spraying nymphs and adult bugs, fill up a trigger spray container with 70% isopropyl alcohol with wintergreen (need more than one bottle), adjust the head for distance, and fire away. LRR. Wear goggles.
Source: I've been doing this at home (and occasionally on ailanthus and angelicas in the woods) for 5 years, that's how long they've been where I am (IIRC they were first spotted in Berks County, PA).
JMO YMMV

They also like Japanese angelica, similar to devil's walkingstick.

Oh, I hate those "trees". They invaded our back yard beginning about 2 yrs ago. What a nuisance! I've cut down at least 100 with lopping shears, but they keep trying to grow back. My neighbor's back yard is full of them.

Last year a 4H kid included a spotted lantern fly in an insect display --in KANSAS!

Yes, kill as many as you can!

(as well as the invasive honeysuckle, burning bush, tree of heaven, etc)
Poor Kansas. Letecia Stauch is now in prison in Kansas too.
I don’t which insect is worse. ;):rolleyes:

Gotta love the local ingenuity and passion in the war on the Spotted Lanternfly.

I'm in NY and they appeared here a couple of years ago. It's impossible to kill them just by people stomping on them as they see them - there are simply too many. :(

Gotta love the local ingenuity and passion in the war on the Spotted Lanternfly.

I'm just 3 hrs west of Pittsburgh, so we'll probably be seeing them soon. I'll work some more this weekend on lopping off more Tree of Heaven. The stumps re-sprout so quickly, though. Some advice online recommends "painting" some Roundup on the stumps after cutting, but our property borders a nature preserve, so I'll have to consult with them.

PA here, if you see them, KILL THEM!!!!!
I am in Northern NY and really haven't seen them yet, although it's been on the news that they are here and I knew that they were an invasive species. My friend had no idea what I was talking about, but she's clueless about life and I don't think she follows any news.

I was at a concert in Pittsburgh the first weekend in August at PNC Park, and they kept landing on my leg. I was wearing ripped jeans and they always targeted one of the holes. One even landed on P!nk during her set. Ick.

I am in Northern NY and really haven't seen them yet, although it's been on the news that they are here and I knew that they were an invasive species. My friend had no idea what I was talking about, but she's clueless about life and I don't think she follows any news.

I was at a concert in Pittsburgh the first weekend in August at PNC Park, and they kept landing on my leg. I was wearing ripped jeans and they always targeted one of the holes. One even landed on P!nk during her set. Ick.
Oh my word - yes - yikes!

“At her recent concert in Pittsburgh, Pink — who boldly pinwheeled through the air from the stage to the top of PNC Park in an astounding aerial stunt — was rattled by what she said was a beetle that flew into her face, then landed and stayed on her keyboard as she played. She called for help as my sister and I looked at one another and shook our heads. That was no beetle. It was a lanternfly.”

Ugh I hate these things. I always kind of incorrectly assumed that this wouldn't be a "city" problem but I had to take my mom to Penn in Philly for her cardiologist and the entire portion of sidewalk outside the building was literally COVERED in them. This is like in the middle of a block in the middle middle of center city. Sometime I like to try and stomp on them due to the difficulty of actually getting one.

Ugh I hate these things. I always kind of incorrectly assumed that this wouldn't be a "city" problem but I had to take my mom to Penn in Philly for her cardiologist and the entire portion of sidewalk outside the building was literally COVERED in them. This is like in the middle of a block in the middle middle of center city. Sometime I like to try and stomp on them due to the difficulty of actually getting one.
The trick is to get them from behind. If you approach their head, they will leap away.

I am reluctantly perfecting my process.

jmo

The trick is to get them from behind. If you approach their head, they will leap away.

I am reluctantly perfecting my process.

jmo
These aren’t really a thing here in Iowa and I’m terrified of bugs (including ladybugs and butterflies) so I’m not sure why I’m following this thread. All I keep thinking of as I read these posts is how incredibly disgusting the bottoms of everyone’s shoes have to be I would have to make sure to wear my Rothy’s everyday since they’re machine washable haha

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back