PA PA - Star Dodson, 21, Hollidaysburg, 10 July 1976

Is anyone knowledgeable on carbon monoxide?

I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a car in a wooded area. The exhaust would not be coming into the vehicle, and the wooded area would not be like a closed garage where it can't escape.

Wouldn't this only be possible if his death had happened elsewhere and then he was placed in the wooded area? Could this be what happened to Star also?

Hose from the tailpipe to the window, so very possible unless they didn't find anything like that

Is anyone knowledgeable on carbon monoxide?

I wouldn't have thought it would be possible to die of carbon monoxide poisoning in a car in a wooded area. The exhaust would not be coming into the vehicle, and the wooded area would not be like a closed garage where it can't escape.

Wouldn't this only be possible if his death had happened elsewhere and then he was placed in the wooded area? Could this be what happened to Star also?

I'm not an expert, but from other cases I've read, I think you're right that it wouldn't happen under ordinary conditions. But if the exhaust pipe gets plugged, carbon monoxide can back up into the passenger compartment. This sometimes happens to people stranded in the snow if they leave the car running and the snow piles up higher than the exhaust. In the woods it could happen by backing into a bank or something, but where the death was ruled suicide, it's more likely he used a rag or something to plug the exhaust himself.

People also sometimes run a hose from the tailpipe to the car's window, sealing the openings with something like duct tape.

So my uncle, by marriage, is Star's older brother and my mom and her sisters went to school with Star. She has told me about the case and it's been like an urban legend most of my life. I'm not sure how much is accurate and how much is rumor. But my mom always said that after they found Daniel Dupnock, the police went to the house (not sure if that means they lived together) and dinner was still half eaten on the table like they'd been interrupted. She says at the time people thought someone had come after them and killed them both. I had been trying to look up her case for years but it's hardly ever mentioned.

To note Daniel was in a car accident along with a friend that was killed, Daniel incurred serious head injuries from the accident. I do not know exactly the extent of the injuries but a traumatic events experience coupled with brain injuries makes me wonder about his mental health state.
I also wonder about the possibility of a TBI and/or PTSD. The Altoona Mirror from November 15, 1971 says that a teen was killed and 5 others were injured (3 of them in the ICU, including Dupnock) when their car struck a wall at the bottom of Frederick Street in Johnstown, PA.

At the time, LE was trying to determine who the driver of the vehicle was. I am not sure if that was ever determined.

I agree ir would be great to know more about their relationship and the previous days of the disappearance. Daniel was involved in an accident that took his friend's life, so how was he dealing with it?
I'm also curious about Perry County Jane Doe. Has Star Dodson been excluded?
1700914327328.jpg

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2