"POLL" Is This Case 'COLD'

Is This Case 'COLD'

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In most investigations, the family would be privy to more information than the general public. However, there are aspects of all investigations that no one is told about, not even family. This is to protect the investigation because even a well-meaning family member might inadvertently let something slip in conversation.

But if a case is indeed cold, I would want to know that if I were family of the victim.
Yesterday, I read about a 30 year unsolved case. I think the family should be allowed to go over every note, with a fine tooth comb. using the integrity of the investigation, as an excuse, IMO, is just a cop out. The family could study what LE has, & maybe see something obvious, that LE missed. Nobody, knows the victim, better than his loved ones. But, how long is too long? 30 years, for sure, but how much less than 10 years? I guess if I was in that situation, there would come a time, when I'd accept death, & then I'd want the murder solved. less than 5 years. MOO.

I remember a game when I was a child looking for something, and clues went back and forth from "cold," to "getting warmer," and finally "very warm" as I got nearer to what I was seeking.

Thre is "cold" as defined by the dictionary, and there is "cold" as defined by LE. I believe the case will never be formally called cold, but it does seem to be no longer an active investigation.

If LE is actively pursuing answers and sifting through evidence, etc., the investigation is not cold. But if LE is just sitting around waiting for for answers to come to them, the investigation is cold. I have not seen anything that shows active investigation in quite some time so IMO the case is ice cold and has been for awhile. This is not to say it cannot heat up again at some point; I hope and pray that it does.

I remember a game when I was a child looking for something, and clues went back and forth from "cold," to "getting warmer," and finally "very warm" as I got nearer to what I was seeking.

Thre is "cold" as defined by the dictionary, and there is "cold" as defined by LE. I believe the case will never be formally called cold, but it does seem to be no longer an active investigation.

If LE is actively pursuing answers and sifting through evidence, etc., the investigation is not cold. But if LE is just sitting around waiting for for answers to come to them, the investigation is cold. I have not seen anything that shows active investigation in quite some time so IMO the case is ice cold and has been for awhile. This is not to say it cannot heat up again at some point; I hope and pray that it does.
you're right, but I hope there's some activity that we don't know about. I've been think about different cases & their durations. If the murderer confesses, or is seen in the act, then a case would be easy to solve...or if he left some damning evidence. Usually, I would think, there would be something, based on the victim's history, which would point to a motive & perp. But in this case, I'm thinking somebody got a good head start, & then LE was led to believe this was a 'friendly' abduction, I do believe...so, so much time was wasted. I don't put too much stock into these people's character, because most criminals have that same character, & LE should be used to dealing with them. But with that said, I doubt most LEAs are used to dealing with 3 separate families, who all have something to hide. I hope LE has made more progress, in weeding through this mess, than they're showing. So, some days I think this case is as cold as ice, & other days, I picture a behind the scenes, flurry of activity. I'm thinking that because of there being no cofession, no cooperative witness, no motive, & no damnable evidence, 2 years on this case, might not be that long. Because regardless of what he claims as his reason, Tommy did semi confess, Misty has been labeled the key, & obviously witnessed or knows something, & surely LE has evidence which we don't kmow about, even if it's not damnable. What stumps me, is motive. It could be the same old motive that causes a lot of men to kidnap young girls, or it could be a motive of revenge, or it could be a spur of the moment motive, born from anger. MOO.

Wouldn't it be great if there really was a flurry of activity going on behind the scenes to solve the Haleigh case? Unfortunately, it isn't happening, IMO.

LE's resources are tight and they put their money and manpower where they need it most, investigating current criminal activity.

While we all see the Haleigh case as extremely important, in LE's eyes it is not. If it gets solved, great...but in LE's eyes it makes no sense to go out of their way to try to get answers anymore. They reserve their flurries of activity for cases where a perp is at large and a potential danger to the public. Or a case where a victim might possibly be saved or a property secured.

The public is not in danger from the one who harmed Haleigh, and Haleigh cannot be saved. Justice is comforting, but justice is also fleeting. Day to day for LE, the most that can be hoped for is keeping the peace and keeping the public safe, so the time spent on a case this cold is somewhere between minimal and none.

Now, if some tip comes along, or someone decides to talk, or some camper or hiker finds specific evidence, there could be another flurry of activity in Haleigh's case. I just think that by now Haleigh is for the most part forgotten by most of those in authority in Putnam County. Sad but true, IMO.

Yesterday, I read about a 30 year unsolved case. I think the family should be allowed to go over every note, with a fine tooth comb. using the integrity of the investigation, as an excuse, IMO, is just a cop out. The family could study what LE has, & maybe see something obvious, that LE missed. Nobody, knows the victim, better than his loved ones. But, how long is too long? 30 years, for sure, but how much less than 10 years? I guess if I was in that situation, there would come a time, when I'd accept death, & then I'd want the murder solved. less than 5 years. MOO.

Ordinarily, I would agree with the family being informed of every single lead and every investigative move, but this is not an ordinary case, IMO. It has been two years and LE hasn't really cleared anyone unless you can count the "mythical unknown" AC man. I don't even count him, myself. I do however believe that the Cummings' family already know who, what and where when it comes to Haleigh's case and the only reason one of them would want to see the evidence thus far would be to see just how close LE was to nailing a few of the family members, IMO.

My understanding is since the case has been classified a homicide by LE the case does not ever have to be classified as a cold case..Under those circumstance no information gathered or or obtained by LE concerning the case has to be released...

Yep, your post explains why the case was classified as a homicide by LE while at the same time nothing was found at the boat landing and LE claimed that Tommy's story was a lie. However, after LE claimed that Tommy was lying, Tommy was also called a suspect at his sentencing. LE needs to make up their minds, either Tommy's story had some truth in it to classify Haleigh's case as a homicide or LE doesn't have any basis to claim it a homicide except for the reason you posted.

Wouldn't it be great if there really was a flurry of activity going on behind the scenes to solve the Haleigh case? Unfortunately, it isn't happening, IMO.

LE's resources are tight and they put their money and manpower where they need it most, investigating current criminal activity.

While we all see the Haleigh case as extremely important, in LE's eyes it is not. If it gets solved, great...but in LE's eyes it makes no sense to go out of their way to try to get answers anymore. They reserve their flurries of activity for cases where a perp is at large and a potential danger to the public. Or a case where a victim might possibly be saved or a property secured.

The public is not in danger from the one who harmed Haleigh, and Haleigh cannot be saved. Justice is comforting, but justice is also fleeting. Day to day for LE, the most that can be hoped for is keeping the peace and keeping the public safe, so the time spent on a case this cold is somewhere between minimal and none.

Now, if some tip comes along, or someone decides to talk, or some camper or hiker finds specific evidence, there could be another flurry of activity in Haleigh's case. I just think that by now Haleigh is for the most part forgotten by most of those in authority in Putnam County. Sad but true, IMO.

Sadly I have to agree with you. I don't think that has been a flurry of activity on this case for quite awhile. Who is suppose to be investigating this case right now, anyone know?

Sadly I have to agree with you. I don't think that has been a flurry of activity on this case for quite awhile. Who is suppose to be investigating this case right now, anyone know?

No clue. I heard Peggy Cone is retiring. Greenwood was promoted. I think I read Merchant was promoted also, either that or going to another agency.
I am so fed up and disgusted with how this case has been handled.
And to think Greenwood just recently stated LE has known since day one family members are lying, and they haven't bothered to put any real pressure on anyone in the Cummings family. Beyond belief..
Everyone involved in investigating this case needs to be thoroughly investigated by an outside agency. An ouside agency far removed from the politics and the "good ole boy" system that operates within PCSO..JMHO

No clue. I heard Peggy Cone is retiring. Greenwood was promoted. I think I read Merchant was promoted also, either that or going to another agency.
And to think Greenwood just recently stated LE has known since day one family members are lying, and they haven't bothered to put any real pressure on anyone in the Cummings family. Beyond belief..
Everyone involved in investigating this case needs to be thoroughly investigated by an outside agency. An ouside agency far removed from the politics and the "good ole boy" system that operates within PCSO..JMHO

I too am so disgusted with the inept investigation of this case. I have also posted that an investigation should be conducted on how this investigation was so screwed up. This little girl's murder has been covered up from the start and continues to be covered up. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

thank you, thank you, thank you. You have stated this over and over and I, along with many, many others feel the same way!!

While viewing the Casey Anthony trial lately I thought about the fact that the Haleigh Cummings case began at the same time that Caylee Anthony's Memorial service was held. Now, we are near the end of the murder trial for Caylee's mother, Casey. I had this fleeting thought that just maybe at the end of this trial that a break would come for Haleigh. I don't know why I had this thought but I did. I have always believed that the "kidnapping" story given by Ronald Cummings was a copycat version based upon the Caylee Anthony case. I've always suspected that Teresa most likely followed the Anthony case closely and most likely came up with the "kidnapping" story to give to LE.

Haleigh's case is cold at this time but I'm hoping that if Casey is given the death sentence that Ron will make the decision to talk about what happened to Haleigh. I think that he will invent a lie about an accidental death because he and Teresa has seen that Casey's lies have caught up with her and that she made a huge mistake by not using an "accident" story from the beginning. However, if Em's theory of death by gun shot is true and the damage to Haleigh's skull or bones would point in that direction, then Ron will have to come up with an explanation for Haleigh getting shot.

While viewing the Casey Anthony trial lately I thought about the fact that the Haleigh Cummings case began at the same time that Caylee Anthony's Memorial service was held. Now, we are near the end of the murder trial for Caylee's mother, Casey. I had this fleeting thought that just maybe at the end of this trial that a break would come for Haleigh. I don't know why I had this thought but I did. I have always believed that the "kidnapping" story given by Ronald Cummings was a copycat version based upon the Caylee Anthony case. I've always suspected that Teresa most likely followed the Anthony case closely and most likely came up with the "kidnapping" story to give to LE.

Haleigh's case is cold at this time but I'm hoping that if Casey is given the death sentence that Ron will make the decision to talk about what happened to Haleigh. I think that he will invent a lie about an accidental death because he and Teresa has seen that Casey's lies have caught up with her and that she made a huge mistake by not using an "accident" story from the beginning. However, if Em's theory of death by gun shot is true and the damage to Haleigh's skull or bones would point in that direction, then Ron will have to come up with an explanation for Haleigh getting shot.

hi Lone- sadly i don't think a death verdict in Casey's trial will push Ronald to come up with anything.. the only way I see him ever talking is if there is so much pressure on him that he knows hes sunk or if they find little Haleigh's body JMO

i think ron knows hes in the clear.. nobody is looking for Haleigh and majority of the pressure has been applied to the Croslins. over two years have gone by and i believe there is a strong possibility she will never be found IMO

I'm not sure a death verdict will happen, I doubt it. I do hope it would push those involved to come forward, but I doubt it. I don't know how Crystal and Ronald cope

I'm not sure a death verdict will happen, I doubt it. I do hope it would push those involved to come forward, but I doubt it. I don't know how Crystal and Ronald cope[/QUOTE]

BBM
I don't know how any of US COPE. This case is so convoluted, with all involved being not the upmost of citizens. But we can't blame them actually; that's who they are: liers, theives, druggies, murderers. We have to place the blame where it is due. And to me, that is the LE in FL. There is no reason, if this case had been handled correctly from the beginning, it could have been solved. Sooo, again and again and again, why wasn't it?

I'm not sure a death verdict will happen, I doubt it. I do hope it would push those involved to come forward, but I doubt it. I don't know how Crystal and Ronald cope[/QUOTE]

BBM
I don't know how any of US COPE. This case is so convoluted, with all involved being not the upmost of citizens. But we can't blame them actually; that's who they are: liers, theives, druggies, murderers. We have to place the blame where it is due. And to me, that is the LE in FL. There is no reason, if this case had been handled correctly from the beginning, it could have been solved. Sooo, again and again and again, why wasn't it?

I really don't know. I always wonder what LE knows, and has, if anything.

Crystal and Ronald being this precious child's parents, and Ronald Junior, are victims. And of course Grandparents, Great Grandparents and other family members. I just wish HaLeigh would come home to them. :(

I really don't know. I always wonder what LE knows, and has, if anything.

Crystal and Ronald being this precious child's parents, and Ronald Junior, are victims. And of course Grandparents, Great Grandparents and other family members. I just wish HaLeigh would come home to them. :(

Flossie, I really have understood you, respected, and totally valued your opinion (even though we sometimes don't agree,) but again I have to say: If they do find Haleigh's little body, there will be wars as to where she is laid to rest between: Sheffields/ Cummings/ Neves/ Sykes. Little Haleigh doesn't really need that. She is with the Lord and that is that.

I know that YOU know I am not being disrespectul to you at all.

IMO.. And as I see it, Crystal is allowing herself to be victimized by Ron C and his family and Ron Jr. is a victim but Ron C is not a victim and neither is his mother or his grandmother.. JMHO..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucasmiller