Possible Connections

Here is an interesting case of a missing girl from a state adjacent to Maryland. Note her age and description.

Jane Louise Puckett
Missing since November 23, 1977 from Colonial Heights, Virginia.
Classification: Non-family Abduction

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 26, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 16 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2" (157 cm.); 115 lbs. (52 kg.)
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Jane has two small scars near her right eye, one is on the side of her eye and the other is about one inch below her eye.
Dentals: Available

Circumstances of Disappearance

Puckett was last seen hitchhiking south on Interstate 95 near the Washington Street exit in Petersburg, Virginia on November 23, 1977, and has never been seen nor heard from again.

Investigators

If you have any information concerning this case, please contact:
Colonial Heights Police Department 804-520-9300
NCMEC #: NCMC601870
NCIC Number: M-130292702

Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:

National Center for Missing and Exploited Children
Florida Missing Children Information Clearinghouse
The Doe Network: Case File 887DFVA

LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/887dfva.html

Donna Michele Barnhill
Missing since March 18, 1981 from Lexington, Davidson County, North Carolina
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing

Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 19, 1967
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'7; 125 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown straight hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: An orange sweatshirt; jeans; and a dark jacket.

Circumstances of Disappearance

Banhill left her family's home at 8:30 PM on March 18, 1981 to walk to a nearby friend's house. She never arrived and has not been seen since.

The Doe Network: Case File 35DFNC
NCIC Number: M-434080016

If you have any information on this case, please contact:
Lexington Police Department, Det. Angie Price 336-249-8947

Links:
http://www.doenetwork.us/cases/35dfnc.html

Forum discussions on this case see Cold Case thead titled:
Donna Michele Barnhill Missing March 18, 1981 from Lexington, NC - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23208

The following 1998 article was recently posted in this Forum's Cold Case Section. It is about five children who were aparently abducted in Jacksonville, Florida in the summer of 1974, just under a year before the Lyon Sisters disappeared. One case involved two sisters who disappeared, and another describes victims who sound like they could resemble the Lyon girls.

I do not know if all or any of these crimes are connected, other than by location and time frame. And I do not know for certain if they are connected with the disappearance of the Lyon sisters. Certainly there are some similarities.

The article mentions a serial killer named Paul John Knowles. He could not be a suspect in the Lyon case because he was killed by Georgia State police in December 1974 while attempting to escape during his extraditon to Florida. I have some doubts as to whether or not he was actually involved in any of these cases. Certainly not all of them.

If someone else was responsible for even one of these Jacksonville cases, then maybe he came to Maryland in March 1975.

--------------------------------------------------
Their families are still healing - In '74 Jacksonville searched for five missing children at once

Monday, November 23, 1998
By Sandy Strickland
Times-Union staff writer

Jean Marie Schoen was the first little girl to vanish that tragic summer of 1974.In all, there were five girls, ages 6 to 12, who disappeared within a three-month span in Jacksonville. Only two bodies were ever found.

The five abductions - coming so close and apparently unrelated - were unprecedented, said a veteran Jacksonville police officer.

Nine-year-old Jean Marie, known as Jeanie, disappeared July 21 after going to a store near her grandmother's house on West 19th Street in Springfield.

Lillian Annette Anderson, 11, and her sister, Mylette, 6, disappeared from their Oceanway home Aug. 1 while their mother was attending a sick relative.

Virginia Helm, 12, disappeared Sept. 27 while going to a convenience store a block from her home on Dean Road on the Southside. A month later, her body was found in a shallow grave south of Beach Boulevard. She had been shot through the head.

And Rebecca Ann Greene, 12, disappeared Oct. 12 after buying soft drinks at a store in her Fairfield neighborhood. Her skeleton was found three years later on Heckscher Drive.

Fast-forward to November 1998.

Eight year-old Maddie Clifton disappears. Her body is found a week later under the water bed of a 14-year-old neighbor.

Pam Schoen and ElizabethAnderson, the mothers of the girls never found, said they can relate to the grief felt by Maddie's family.''Anything that comes up about missing children brings it all back and throws me in a tizzy'' Anderson said.''My heart goes out to her,'' Schoen said. ''I also feel a great deal of compassion for the boy who did it. That's two families who've lost children.''

For Schoen, the worst part is not knowing her daughter's fate.''I don't have life or death,'' she said, her voice breaking and her brown eyes staring into space.Jeanie was an A student at Love Grove Elementary and an eager participant in her Brownie troop's activities, Schoen said.''

She was feisty and hyperactive like me,'' she said. ''She had to be forced. She wouldn't have gone with anyone willingly.''In the days after Jeanie's disappearance, Schoen and her family distributed 1,000 fliers of the smiling girl with the missing front tooth and had three phone lines installed so one would always be open. Schoen's former husband kept track from his home in Minnesota.Schoen said she kept her pain inside, causing her to hyperventilate.

''But I had counseling for three months, which saved my life.''Schoen thinks Jeanie was snatched by someone who wanted a child and clings to the hope she is still alive. Schoen's brother, Ken Maxim, even takes Jeanie's picture with him whenever he travels and displays it in his motel room.

Even today, Schoen breaks down when she sees a blond-haired girl at a mall. ''That's when I say to myself, 'Jeanie, I love you, but I can't talk or think about you right now.' ''

Still, Schoen, who has a 35-year-old son, said she has been able to lead a relatively normal life. She found solace in her jobs as a social worker and apartment complex manager. Ten years ago, she began having heart problems and is now on disability.

Schoen is convinced Jeanie would have been found if the technological advances of today and shows such as America's Most Wanted had been available 24 years ago.

For Anderson, the years immediately after the abduction were ''horrible.'' Anderson, who sees a counselor and psychiatrist, said only now is she getting the help she needs.

''I've had spells in which I go inside myself and don't come out,'' she said. Anderson also suffers from high blood pressure and arthritis and uses a cane.Anderson said she was able to survive only because of her faith in God and the support of her church, friends and family.

Her husband, Jack Anderson, was never able to accept the girls' disappearance, she said. The family never moved and kept the same phone number because ''Daddy thought the babies were coming home.''

In 1981, Jack Anderson had a heart attack followed by quintuple bypass surgery. In 1989, he suffered a massive stroke that left him bedridden. Anderson, a school bus driver for 18 years, gave up her job and cared for him until his death in 1994.

Only then could she find closure for herself. Anderson bought ''memorial'' headstones for the girls and placed them in the family cemetery off Cedar Point Road. On holidays, she decorates their headstones.

Staring at their last school pictures - they were students at Louis Sheffield Elementary - Anderson said she wonders what they would look like today.''My heart says they're in heaven. They're with Daddy now,'' she said. ''But I'd like to have bodies so I could really say goodbye.''

Anderson, who has a son and daughter in their 30s and is known as the ''neighborhood granny,'' said she doesn't know if the man assumed to be their killer is guilty or not.

Prosecutors concluded the girls were abducted by self-proclaimed mass murderer Paul John Knowles and closed the case. Knowles, a 28-year-old Jacksonville resident, was killed in December 1974 trying to escape from Georgia authorities.

In tape recordings found after his death, Knowles said he abducted two girls matching the description of the Anderson sisters and buried them in an isolated area at the western end of Commonwealth Avenue. Their bodies were never found despite a massive search.

Lester Parmenter, the former homicide detective who investigated the disappearances, said he and his partner, Sgt. Richard Pruett, never considered the Anderson case cleared. Even so, ''We felt strongly that he probably did it. We couldn't prove it because we didn't have the bodies,'' Parmenter said.

Parmenter remains haunted by one child whose body was found - Virginia Helm.

He and Pruett, who had daughters with long blond hair about her age, carefully dug her body out of its shallow grave with their bare hands to keep it from being distorted.''It's probably the single hardest thing I've had to do as a police officer,'' he said. ''I can see it like it was yesterday.''

LINK:

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/112398/met_2a1disap.html

Rich,

Yes there could be a connection. But I have reason not to believe that!

Oh, I am a new "joefriday", apparently my name was used by someone else for several years, although the handle uses cap's for the first and last name.

tight lines, cr

That is, my handle DOESN'T use any caps.

Also, you and I very well know about the well search avoidance syndrome, particularly in Maryland protocol.

Hello to Mississippi. Ginger and I have missed our discussions. Your honest loyalty to solving this case ( Lyons) is a compliment. These cases are a true challenge, aren't they? Perhaps that's why they endure until someday solved - and hence the "never a perfect crime slogan". Back with significant comment soon, but reaction appreciated. Rich - please don't write a three page dissertation -- your knowledge of these happenings is unquestioned!

Tight lines to all,

cr

These cases (e.g. Lyon sisters) are too clean and neat. No strand of hair, nothing ever recovered, no concrete leads ( ok, Coffey is nerveless a stretch to call "concrete" hes in prison and easily monitored for years, now). Also, in the Lyon case, bizarre spotting of young girls riding around the the back of a station wagon, one tied up? Come on, whoever did this was not that panicky or reckless - You have them drive around in plain view and only one person spot them in this traffic.....you don't bend you license plate so not to be read - that's a perfect excuse for a routine police stop.....and on and on. Just way too clean. Don't cases this "unsolvable" inspire some of you out there?

tight lines

These cases (e.g. Lyon sisters) are too clean and neat. No strand of hair, nothing ever recovered, no concrete leads ...
... bizarre spotting of young girls riding around the the back of a station wagon, one tied up? Come on, whoever did this was not that panicky or reckless - You have them drive around in plain view and only one person spot them in this traffic.....you don't bend you license plate so not to be read - that's a perfect excuse for a routine police stop.....and on and on. Just way too clean. ...tight lines

joe, you make some very good observations regarding evidence in the Lyon Sisters case. In my posts, I try to include everything that was reported in the papers, and investigated by police.

You are correct to question some of the leads in the case. The story about the girls in the back of the 1968 tan Ford Station Wagon with the bent plate could be a number of different things - maybe a real connection with the case, and maybe nothing at all. I agree with you, in that if this guy were so careful to abduct two girls at once, he would have been acting pretty foolish to be driving them around a whole week later in rush hour traffic. But police questioned and re-questioned the IBM executive who described what he saw, and they could neither discredit nor discount his story.

The only solid "evidence" in the case is the eyewitness description of events by the girls parents and brother, who knew where the girls were going, when they left home, the clothes they wore, the usual route they took, the fact that they were actually at the mall that day (brother saw them at two places), and the time that they were told to return home.

Also the eyewitness description of their encounter with the Tape Recorder Man at Wheaton Plaza Shopping Center. The boy "Jimmy" knew the girls personally and was very close to them and TRM during their brief meeting. His story was corroborated by a friend who was with him.

The official "final" sighting of the girls by another boy "near the corner of Drumm and Devon" could be correct, but because it came two weeks into the investigation, it was not given as much credibility as the TRM story. The only difference it would make is that (if true) then the abduction had to have taken place in the housing area, rather than in the parking lot of the shopping center.

Any other evidence or information is separated from the actual scene of their disappearance by time and distance, and sometimes by questionable sources.

You are right. There is not much forensic evidence to go on. Only the timeline facts, and the description of TRM.

If this were an easy case, it would have been solved in 1975. The fact that it has been continuously open and active for 32 years is an indication that there is significant interest in it and perhaps it will be solved one day.

Rich,

Please be careful in what you describe as "factual evidence" - it technically is hearsay and can lead sleuths in the wrong direction. What you are calling evidence are family members descriptions of what the children were wearing, or conveniently vague remembrances of possible sitings by children.

I still question why there are no real witnesses at least to an abduction.

Tight lines

Rich,

Please be careful in what you describe as "factual evidence" - it technically is hearsay and can lead sleuths in the wrong direction. What you are calling evidence are family members descriptions of what the children were wearing, or conveniently vague remembrances of possible sitings by children.

I still question why there are no real witnesses at least to an abduction.

Tight lines

Hearsay is when someone relates information "second hand" That is - where they are saying that they heard someone else state that they saw or heard something.

This case certainly has elements of hearsay tips and stories. For instance, the story about Raymond Mileski came to police through informants who had "heard" something. Of course, Mileski himself fueled some of that suspician.

Firsthand eyewitness testimony is that of the Parents stating what they saw the girls wearing, stating when they left home, stating what they told the girls about the time to come home. Those are all facts as related by an eyewitness.

Their Brother, Jay and the neighbor boy "Jimmy" stating that they saw these two specific girls at certain locations at certain or approximate times that day is also first hand eyewitness testimony - admissable in any court - and which go toward building the few known "facts" in the case.

The other neighbor boy's description of seeing them at Drumm and Devon at an approximate time is also first hand eyewitness testimony - provided that he actually knew and recognized the girls, rather than just having a vague memory of seeing two girls that MIGHT have been them. His information, while perhaps questionable, could also be classified as fact depending on the circumstances and his credibility.

As I said earlier, there is little or no known Forensic evidence in this case - Such as DNA, fingerprints, photographs, pieces of clothing or other items owned by the girls.

Eyewitness testimony is probably one of the weaker forms of evidence, unfortunately, since it is subject to memory, mistaken identity, bias of the witness, etc. But it is still admissable in court and it helps to establish a factual timeline.

Theories, hunches, possible scenarios, etc, can be based on the known facts, and on other facts not necessarily connected directly to the girls' disappearance. But in the end, until connected by evidence of some sort, they are only opinions and not facts.

As frustrating as it is, there have never been any witnesses to come forward to state that they actually saw the girls being abducted.

Richard, I guess you are technically correct. One thing I do not guess about is your uncanny ability to accurately track so many really challenging cases.

Regarding family in Lyons case; when my daughters were 10 and 14, we'd send them to a friends house up the street and usually watch them go. Often, they would change into the most horrific clothing ( from our perspective) once they go around the corner. In this case, since the parents were bowling and napping, the same thing could have happened.

The sighting on the return trip has been admitted to be bogus, and attention getter for a youth who needed some ( they all do, of course). Drumm has never cut through to Plyers Mill, and the escape routes would have been Connecticut Ave. and Georgia Ave. Hardly the essence of a "perfect crime" person's pick's.

Finally, I would just like a piece of collaborated evidence, from someone, who really saw something, either that afternoon, or earlier. No offense to anyone: Organization against any "perfect murder(s)".

Richard said:
"Many well publicized cases are plagued with hoaxes perpetrated by individuals who want to get into the act in some manner. Crank callers, false confessions, false leads to police (whether intentionally false, or sincere persons who are only mistaken, or simply coincidences) are all part of what goes on during open investigations."

Rich, in researching the Fort Worth case I found this! I think you are right on -

Richard said:
"Many well publicized cases are plagued with hoaxes perpetrated by individuals who want to get into the act in some manner. Crank callers, false confessions, false leads to police (whether intentionally false, or sincere persons who are only mistaken, or simply coincidences) are all part of what goes on during open investigations."

Rich, in researching the Fort Worth case I found this! I think you are right on -

That was very much the case in regard to the Lyon Sisters, too. There were numerous daily crank callers to the Lyon home and to the police. There were many leads which police tried to run down and there were also people who volunteered opinions and theories about the girls' disappearance.

The story about the "ransom calls" to John Lyon illustrates this well, as it was a rather obvious attempt to extort money (or get attention), based only on what the caller had read in the paper. You have to take that sort of thing into consideration on each and every eyewitness statement and every lead.

This is particularly of interest regarding a number of witnesses who called in about having seen the Tape Recorder Man (TRM) at Iverson Mall, Bowie Mall, and Marlow Heights shopping center a few days prior to the girl's disappearance. Those shopping centers are all in adjacent Prince Georges County (MD).

I wonder if maybe the person who later contacted Montgomery County Police, claiming to be a "second TRM" might have been simply an attention seeker. He claimed to have been the TRM in Prince Georges County, but swore that he had never done the same in Montgomery County. And he had been in an accident with a Government vehicle and then at a hospital at the time the girls disappeared.

Could he have been simply one of those attention seekers? His "coming forward" was never mentioned in the press, but he caused police to doubt connections between the Wheaton Plaza TRM and the reported sightings in Prince Georges County.

Point taken regarding what young teenagers do when out of sight of parents. It is possible that the girls could have changed clothes on their way to the Mall, but none of their clothing has ever turned up, and there was very careful searching of their intended route immediately after they were reported missing. Also, there was no contradiction Mrs. Lyon/s description of their clothes by either their brother, Jay or neighbor "Jimmy" who saw them at the mall.

Rich -
I don't have anything which I think is profound. I agree that the second TRM was definitely a copycat/attention getter. My problem with this Lyon case, is, I DO NOT believe the FIRST TRM was the culprit. In 2 or more other cases he is definitely guilty, but here, using him has all the aspects of a red herring/easy-out/decoy/confusion additive...

I do believe, after talking with real TRM witnesses, that a TRM visited Wheaton Mall at least twice. And drew a lot of attention it almost seems on purpose. I've discussed two visit with eye witness, in Feb. and March, 1975. I do not believe he actually abducted the girls. He could have been put up as decoy, by financial benefactor(s). (but this is all speculation...huh).

I've come across something on Fort Worth, however,
I've gotten 3 weird emails, from someone( s ) with personal knowledge of my family and family members: So I am on to something ( oh God!), or I am paranoid. As Freud said in "Beyond the Pleasure Principal". " a little paranoia is healthy."

Private email me, please, for details.

Anyone interested in the Lyon case. Please Map-quest, in detail, the "escape" route before commenting - just punch in Plyers Mill and Drumm, if you don't know the specific starting point, and follow a person to and from Wheaton Plaza - on foot, and in a car. Thanks.
Thanks.

Anyone interested in the Lyon case. Please Map-quest, in detail, the "escape" route before commenting - just punch in Plyers Mill and Drumm, if you don't know the specific starting point, and follow a person to and from Wheaton Plaza - on foot, and in a car. Thanks.
Thanks.

escape route

This is to answer joefriday after I looked at map quest. I`ve seen the route the girls took which was described in the Wash, Star 1975. Who`s to say that the abductor wasn`t heading up Drum Ave. where he may have lured the girls into his car, drove up to University Blvd., made a left & rolled down to the Beltway. From there, anywhere is possible!

Jeb -

Only two things are sure: 1) Anything is possible, 2) The most probable solution to case based on historical statical profiles of culprits is usually correct, and, 3) Some one can get too close to a case.

Don't fret, just think. You didn't do it, nor I ----

But a rock that is obvious has yet be unturned..

Jeb,

Since you and others are so sure of things, and are willing to construct things to fit your theories, I sign off on this case. Obviously you all have it figured out. Coffey is in prison, and you all are sure he did it - obsessively sure. Keep him there and the case is closed for you!!

Take care, and keep the vault closed.

I'm tired/bored with this one. The fanatics promoting their own theories are too entrenched for there ever to be intelligent investigation/discussion.

And they are the only ones with interest in this. Interesting...(smile)
They all want to pound out their theories over my head, not have intelligent discussion. They would never relinquish their ideas in the face of facts. Of course, not referring to you, personally.

Take care always,

Best of luck in life!!

Rich -
I don't have anything which I think is profound. I agree that the second TRM was definitely a copycat/attention getter. My problem with this Lyon case, is, I DO NOT believe the FIRST TRM was the culprit. In 2 or more other cases he is definitely guilty, but here, using him has all the aspects of a red herring/easy-out/decoy/confusion additive...
...a little paranoia is healthy."....

I like the saying; "Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean the bastards aren't out to get you."

As I have stated in other posts, the Tape Recorder Man or TRM might or might NOT have had anything to do with the Lyon Sisters' disappearance.

What has become somewhat of a "fact" in this case with few leads is that a man with a tape recorder was seen talking to Sheila and Katherine Lyon on 25 March 1975 at Wheaton Plaza a short time before they disappeared.

The boy who described the encounter and the man in great detail was a classmate of Sheila's who rode the same bus with her daily, getting on and off at the same bus stop.

TRM was seen on a few previous occasions according to various witnesses who came forward, but he was never seen again with his tape recorder. I know of no previous abductions or crimes or subsequent child abductions which included a Tape Recorder Man. If you know of some, I would like to hear about them.

Again, it is possible that this weird guy had nothing to do with the girls' disappearance. He might have simply "interviewed" them and then went home, after which some other guy(s) pulled off the abduction of the girls.

No one has ever identified the Tape Recorder Man, and nobody has ever come forward claiming to be him --- with the exception of the man who claimed to be the Prince Georges County TRM, - oh, but not the one in Montgomery County (?!). In the end, the TRM is still a big question mark in this case. Who was he? What were his intentions? Where did he come from? Where did he go? If the witness "Jimmy" simply made him up, why did so many other people come forward with similar stories of previous sightings of him?

Regarding "Suspects" - Police have never named any one as a "Suspect" in this case, because of all the legal implications and reasons. They have certainly checked out numerous "persons of interest" over the past 32 years.

In my posts, I have tried to present all possible suspects and persons of interest that have come to my attention. Of course, I have been careful to name only persons who seem to have a criminal background and a Maryland connection which might make each a viable suspect. In the case of each, there are a number of known, named victims. There are also very likely a number of other victims and crimes for which they were never charged.

While these dirtbags may have been miles away from Wheaton Plaza on 25 March 1975, each is a known/convicted murderer - and some are known pediphiles. I hardly think that any libel cases will result from my mention of them in this forum.

That said, I do see some very strong coincidental connections between this case and some of these individuals. Others look less convincing to me. But, I have never claimed to have solved this case nor have I stated that I have proof that one or any of these persons is guilty of anything in the Lyon case.

I welcome any and all comments, input, facts, and opinions on this case. I have not, to my knowledge or intent, ever put anyone or their opinions down and although I am not the Administrator of this thread, I would defend anyone's right to contribute their thoughts and input to the discussion. You cannot have a truly open forum and freeflow of thoughts if you close your mind to the many possible scenarios and solutions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back