Potential Suspects and Persons of Interest

I was 9 years old growing up in neighboring PG County when the Lyons girls disappeared. I was captivated by the story at the time even recalling it being discussed in my 4th grade class. It still captivates me almost 40 years later.

Coffey seems the most likely suspect. Forgive me, but I did not see a post inquiring if Coffey denied abducting the girls or was ever given a lie detector test.

Welcome to Websleuths and to the Lyon Sisters' topic, Dan7070. The disappearance of the girls in March of 1975 was in all of the papers and on the radio and TV for weeks in the Washington DC metropolitan area. It has surfaced in the news from time to time, but now only seems to get press coverage every five years on anniversaries of the case.

Fred Coffey has never admitted to killing anyone, although the evidence seems very strong in three cases. He was convicted of first degree murder of Amanda Ray (age 10 in 1970), and is the only suspect in the murders of Travis Shane King (age 8 in 1986) and Neeley Smith (age 5 in 1981).

When Coffey was awaiting trial in 1986 for molesting three children, he admitted to a court appointed psychiatrist that he had molested over 100 children - possibly in an attempt to establish that he had an uncontrollable addiction or mental problem which would be a defense he could use in court, or possibly a true admission of fact. He never admitted to killing any children, however.

It was at this time in 1986 that Coffey first came to the attention of Montgomery County (Maryland) Police. They looked into him and found that he had come to Maryland to be employed by Vitro Laboratories in Aspen Hill, MD starting work in April 1975. Aspen Hill is only four miles from Wheaton Plaza, where there was also a small Vitro office. He most likely was in the area earlier than April 1975, as he was discharged from the Navy in Mid September 1974 at Norfolk, Virginia. Unfortunately, MCP could not place Coffey at the scene on the day of the girls' disappearance, and there was no forensic evidence to connect Coffey to them.

I do not know if MCP ever interviewed Coffey. He has been in Prison in North Carolina since 1986.

Albert Ignatius Riek

DOB: 19 March 1941
Height: 5 ft 8 in
Weight: 190 lbs
Eyes: Blue
Hair: Gray

When Sheila and Katherine Lyon went missing on 25 March 1975, Montgomery County Police began an investigation which has continued to this day. At 38 years, it is one of their longest running open cases

Early in the investigation, MCP looked up all known sex offenders and child molesters as potential suspects. Here is a person who escaped that scrutiny at the time.

From 1973 through 1977, Albert Ignatius Riek sexually abused and raped his step daughter. This abuse began when she was only 5 years old.

Riek lived in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, Maryland at the time that Sheila and Kate went missing. Records indicate at least two addresses for Riek: one at 10428 Kardwright Court, and another on Deer Park Drive in Gaithersburg.

Riek was 34 years old in March 1975. He worked for IBM for 46 yerars before retiring and moving to Pinehurst, North Carolina.

Only recently did Riek's criminal actions against the little girl become public information - when his former wife and stepdaughter brought charges against him. He has now been found guilty and sentenced to five years in the Maryland prison system following a plea bargain.

His defense attorney made much of how "straight" a life Riek has lived since 1977, and how sorry he is, etc. But it should be noted that Riek NEVER came forward publicly on his own to admit to his crimes. It was only when he was caught in a phone tap sting that he admitted to sexually abusing is stepdaughter. And even then, he was evasive and full of excuses.

Just as MCP considered all known sex deviates in Montgomery County to be potential suspects in the Lyon case, so should they consider Albert Riek a potential suspect.

There are some interesting facts to consider in regard to Albert Riek, although perhaps only coincidences:

- Riek was actively abusing and raping a little girl from 1973 through 1977, two years before and two years after the Lyon sisters disappeared.

- He lived a relatively short distance from Wheaton Plaza.

- He worked for IBM, and an April 1975 sighting of a tan Ford station wagon containing the girls was reported in Manassas, Virginia near the IBM offices by an IBM employee.

- Riek's lawyer points out his "clean" record over the past 35 years. Could this simply mean that he had not been caught? Could that explain why the Lyon case has gone unsolved for so many years?

- When Riek left Maryland, he moved to North Carolina. Another potential suspect, Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. also moved to North Carolina following his time in Maryland.

- Riek allegedly admitted to abusing his step daughter "as early as 1988", according to his lawyer. Note that this was after Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. was named in local papers as a potential suspect in the Lyon case by MCP, and after Coffey was tried and convicted of the murder of 10-year-old Amanda Ray in North Carolina.

- Coincidentally, Riek's Deer Park Drive, Gathersburg address is only a few blocks from the 1975 Holiday Motel address of Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.

It is expected that Riek will spend only about 15 months in prison before an early release/parole. The sentencing judge stated, “Clearly, you are in fact a changed person.”

Changed person? Today, maybe - but NOT in 1975.

Here are some links to news stories about Albert Ignatius Riek:

Retiree, 72, is sentenced for sex abuse committed decades ago in Montgomery

Washington Post
By Dan Morse
11 October 2013

A 72-year-old retiree was sentenced to five years in prison Thursday after an emotional court hearing that centered on whether he should be punished for what he did nearly four decades ago or given credit for his good behavior since.

Certainly what Albert Riek did in the mid-1970s in Montgomery County was, as he said in court, horrible. He repeatedly fondled and performed oral sex on a family member who was younger than 10.

Riek was not arrested in the case until the victim and her mother came forward and spoke to police this year. The victim agreed to call Riek on a secretly recorded line — a call in which Riek admitted to the abuse from his home in North Carolina while his new wife sat next to him.

The case was notable for the way both the prosecution and the defense embraced the phone sting to make their points.

Prosecutor Dana Kaplan said that Riek appeared to make excuses for his actions — drinking too much, for example. But defense attorney David Felsen said the recording showed Riek expressing genuine remorse and telling the victim she should never blame herself.“

It was nothing that you did,” Riek could be heard saying in the recording, which was played in court. “Let me put you at ease at that.”

The victim, now 45, attended the hearing and spoke, breaking down as she said the abuse started when she was 5.

“He terrorized me and had me living in fear,” she said. “The abuse I endured at his hands has impacted every facet of my life, every day of my life.”

She struggled with substance abuse and had trouble maintaining relationships. When her daughter was born, the memories of what happened to her were especially frightening. “I was overwhelmed by her vulnerability and helplessness,” she said.

In part because he was not charged at the time, Riek spent 46 years working at IBM, according to attorneys in the case, and has an otherwise clean criminal record.

He retired, remarried and confessed to his current wife what he had done.

All those things made an impression on Circuit Court Judge Michael Mason.

“Clearly, you are in fact a changed person,” Mason said.

The judge chose not to add any “suspended” time to the sentence and did not impose post-prison probation. Once Riek serves his time, he will be done. But Mason gave him the maximum amount of incarceration — five years — that he could under an earlier plea agreement between attorneys in the case.

“You have been able to walk among members of society as a free man,” the judge said.

Felsen, Riek’s attorney, said sexual abuse, at least based on statutes from the 1970s, is apparently not considered a crime of violence in terms of parole decisions. So Riek will be eligible for possible release after 15 months.

“We hope that after serving a quarter of his sentence, he will be released on parole,” Felsen said.

Photo and more at link below...

LINK:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...6dd340-31cd-11e3-89ae-16e186e117d8_story.html

------------------------------------------

72-year-old pleads guilty in 1970s child sexual abuse case

Washington Post
By St. John Barned-Smith
June 26, 2013

A North Carolina man admitted Wednesday in Montgomery County Circuit Court that he had sexually abused a young relative more than four decades ago.

Albert Riek, 72, abused the 5-year-old girl in the 1970s at his home at the time on Deer Park Drive in Gaithersburg, according to court records.Montgomery Assistant State’s Attorney Dana Kaplan said in court that the victim, now 45, thought at the time that Riek “was trying to have a baby with her.

”The woman told her family about the abuse in 1991, when she tried to commit suicide, court papers say. The victim’s mother came to police in February.David Felsen, Riek’s attorney, said his client had accepted responsibility for his crime years ago and has no other history of abuse.

“He’s always been remorseful for his conduct,” Felsen said.

Riek admitted the behavior to his family as early as 1988, Felsen said, and went through sex-offender therapy in 1991.The victim’s family did not report the abuse sooner because it thought that too much time had passed, according to court papers. But the woman told police that she had recently read a book about child abuse and learned that a prosecution might be possible.

As part of his plea deal, Riek, who lives in Pinehurst, N.C., is likely to serve no more than five years in prison.

The maximum penalty for the charge against him is 15 years in prison, based on the law at the time the abuse took place. Today, the charge would carry a penalty of 25 years.He is scheduled to be sentenced in September. ...

LINK:

http://articles.washingtonpost.com/...9514_1_abuse-case-child-abuse-maximum-penalty

Okay according to the above article there has been a significant development and there is a potential break in the case. LE will name a POI.

"LANHAM, Md. (CBSDC) — Nearly 40 years after two girls disappeared walking home in Montgomery County, police say they have a potential break in the case.

Montgomery County Police say they have a “significant development” in the disappearance case of the Lyon sisters — Sheila, 12, and Katherine, 10 — who vanished in 1975 while walking home in Kensington.

Montgomery County Police Chief J. Thomas Manger and Special Agent in Charge of the FBI in Maryland Steve Vogt will make the announcement at a news conference Tuesday.

According to police, detectives have identified a person of interest who was at Wheaton Plaza on the day the girls disappeared. Police say the person of interest is a convicted child sex offender who is currently in prison.

They plan to release photos of the person of interest on Tuesday in hopes of gathering more information about him, his associates, and his activities, according to a press release."

<snipped>

So any ideas who this could be?

I think it is sex offender Fred C who has been posted here who is still alive I believe but that's just my opinion.

I wonder what the development is I will be waiting to see the news online tomorrow.

I hope the girls family finally gets some answers and hopefully closure.

Short List of Possible Suspects

MCP's Person of Interest could be someone never before mentioned in these threads.

While they will be releasing a name and possibly photos soon, according to the press, it is worth while considering some of the possible suspects previously discussed in this forum.

Based on previously discussed possible suspects, these are the ones who are:
- still living
- incarcerated
- convicted of crimes against children

---------------
Fred Howard COFFEY, Jr. (incarcerated)

- Known child molester and killer
- Worked in Wheaton for Vitro Labs April thru July 1975
- Pre and Post offenses against children
- had several vehicles
- former Navy
Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. is currently serving a life term in NC for the 1979 murder of a 10 year NC girl. He may have been involved in the Lyon Sisters abduction, and possibly in the 24 July 1975 abduction/murder of 15 year-old Kathy Lynn Beatty, also of Montgomery County, Maryland... Post # 5 and several subsequent ones.

---------------------
Hadden CLARK (incarcerated)

- born 1951
- lived in Montgomery County, MD
- convicted serial killer of at least two Montgomery County girls
- admitted to having killed others, but not the Lyon sisters
Hadden Clark, born in April 1951, was approaching his 24th birthday when the Lyon sisters disappeared. A cross dressing, psychotic, serial killer and cannibal, he led a truly bizzare life until finally convicted and sentenced to life terms for the murders of Laura Houghteling and Michelle Dorr, both of Montgomery County.
See post # 8

----------------------------------
Timothy Joseph BUZBEE (incarcerated)

- aka The Aspen Hill Rapist (1980's)
- was 18 and HS senior in March 1975
- no known murders
Date of Birth 08/27/1957
DOC ID 170707
Holding Facility North Branch Correctional Institution, Cumberland, MD
- Timothy Buzbee would have been 17 and a half years old when Sheila and Kate Lyon went missing. At the time, he lived in the Aspen Hill - Rockville area and was still in High School.
- Although he was never named as a suspect in the Lyon case, he later was involved in a number of stalking incidents and rapes, some of which involved young girls.
- He was arrested, tried and convicted of rape in 1982 and has been in prison since that time.
Buzbee was charged in March 2012 with ten crimes, including first and second degree rape, robbery, and use of a handgun in commission of a crime.
In court, he pled guilty to three cases of first degree rape, and the other charges were dropped (Nolle Proseqi).
These charges were the result of Cold Case work and DNA testing of old evidence on file.

-------------------------------------
Richard Miles CHANEY (incarcerated)

- Maryland resident
- Murdered 10 year old Maryland girl in 1971
- not caught until 1978
In 1978, a man named Richard Miles Chaney, dob 19 November 1939, was arrested, tried and convicted of the 1971 murder of little Elizabeth Ann Metzler age 10 in Anne Arundel County, Maryland. He was sentenced to Life without Parole - the highest allowable sentence at the time. In 2002 and 2003, he appealed his sentence, but lost. He is still incarcerated in a Maryland Prison.
"Possible Connections" thread page 3.

--------------------------
James KOWALSKI (incarcerated)

- possible ties to Kensington
- Child poronographer
- in a rock band, hung around young people.
- suspect in disappearance of George "Junior" Burdinsky
- There are a number of 1993 Washington Post articles about James Kowalski and his trials for child poronography and for child molestation.
- His convictions were for innapropriate actions with young boys ages around 11 and 12. No references to molestation or kidnapping of young girls. Although suspected of being involved with the disappearance of George "Junior" Burdynski, he was never charged or convicted in that regard.

----------------------------
Robert RELDAN (incarcerated)

- from New Jersey
- On Parole in NJ May 1974
- committed two double abduction/murders of young girls in August and December of 1974
- killed four more girls in October 1975, two of them in a double abduction/murder
- known to cross state lines to abduct, murder, and dispose of victims.
- age 35 in 1975.
While it is not known if Reldan was in Maryland in March 1975, he was known to have been out on parole and actively committing abductions, rapes and murders before and after that date in nearby New Jersey.
Should be considered a possible suspect in the disappearance of two NJ boys; Stephen Anderson and David Williams in April 1975.
Post # 118

-------------------------------------------
Rodney ALCALA (incarcerated)

AKA The Dating Game Killer
There is no evidence to indicate that Rodney Alcala was in Maryland during the spring and summer of 1975, but from the below article, it is aparent that he was in both New York and California in the 1970's.
Alcala would have been about 31 years old when the Lyon Sisters went missing.
A jury convicted Alcala on February 25, 2010 of killing Robyn Samsoe, 12, as well as Jill Barcomb, 18, who had just moved to Los Angeles from Oneida, N.Y.; Georgia Wixted, 27, of Malibu; Charlotte Lamb, 32, of Santa Monica; and Jill Parenteau, 21, of Burbank.
After the California convictions, Alcala was charged with murdering two 23-year-old women in New York City in the same decade.... In New York, Alcala is charged in the 1971 strangling of flight attendant Cornelia Crilley and the death of Ellen Hover, daughter of a one-time Hollywood nightclub owner. She disappeared in 1977; her remains were found the next year in the woods on a suburban estate.
Post #133

------------------------
Albert Ignatius Riek (Incarcerated)

DOB: 19 March 1941
Height: 5 ft 8 in
Weight: 190 lbs
Hair: Gray
From 1973 through 1977, Albert Ignatius Riek sexually abused and raped his step daughter. This abuse began when she was only 5 years old.
Riek lived in Gaithersburg, Montgomery County, Maryland at the time that Sheila and Kate went missing. Records indicate at least two addresses for Riek: one at 10428 Kardwright Court, and another on Deer Park Drive in Gaithersburg.
Riek was 34 years old in March 1975. He worked for IBM for 46 yerars before retiring and moving to Pinehurst, North Carolina.
Only recently did Riek's criminal actions against the little girl become public information - when his former wife and stepdaughter brought charges against him. He has now been found guilty and sentenced to five years in the Maryland prison system following a plea bargain.
There are some interesting facts to consider in regard to Albert Riek, although perhaps only coincidences:
- Riek was actively abusing and raping a little girl from 1973 through 1977, two years before and two years after the Lyon sisters disappeared.
- He lived a relatively short distance from Wheaton Plaza.
- He worked for IBM, and an April 1975 sighting of a tan Ford station wagon containing the girls was reported in Manassas, Virginia near the IBM offices by an IBM employee.

See post # 163 and 164

Thanks for posting this list Richard. I saw the show about Rodney Alcala that Aphrodite Jones did a few nights ago and it scared the cr*p out of me. He is a monster he kept blowing kisses to one of the victims mothers in court which is sickening pure evil. I could believe not all his victims have been found yet.

He liked taking pictures of his victims which makes it less likely to be him than others you have listed.

I wonder what has caused the case to break hopefully we will find out in a few hours time.

Riek is an interesting possibility because he only recently (within the last few years) had to answer to a charge of molesting his step daughter all those years ago.
Maybe LE took a closer look once he was arrested for these charges?
But I'm not sure he is in jail in another state right now.

Raymond Rudolph MILESKI, Sr.

Raymond Rudolph Mileski Sr. is a convicted murderer serving a life sentence in the Maryland Prison system. He is linked to the Lyon Sisters, because of claims that he has made on several occasions. Those stories have some varience to them, but basically Ray states that he knows who the abductor/murderer of the girls is.

A story about Montgomery County Police digging in the backyard of the Mileski home at 5816 Suitland Road was in the Washington Post in April 1982, but only briefly. It was only one of many momentary mentions of the Lyon Sisters in news stories over the years. At the time, nothing much came of it. The story told of police digging test holes for about three hours in response to tips from convicts, and that nothing was found. That story makes specific reference to the address and to it being in response to a tip from Maryland Prison Inmates, but it does not mention Mileski's name.

On 19 November 1977, following an ongoing family argument, Raymond Mileski Sr. shot his oldest son with a high power rifle in the basement of their home. When his wife, Dolores, ran down the stairs into the basement room, he shot her too. The bullet passed through her, through a wall and into the mouth of their 7 year old son, Peter, who was running down the stairs behind his mother. Mileski left his wife and older son for dead and transported Peter to Andrews Air Force Base for emergency treatment. Leaving him there, Mileski, drove to the home of a neighbor where his middle son Karl was visiting. He told Karl to stay where he was and then turned himself in to police.

Mileski, while in prison, had evidently told a story to other convicts that he knew who had abducted and killed the Lyon Sisters, these cons repeated the story to MCP investigators. Montgomery County Police dug test holes in the Mileski backyard for three hours and found nothing. End of story? Not quite.

In 2001, an anonymous tip to police named Mileski as having told others prior to his 1978 murder conviction, that he was in some way involved in the Lyon Sisters disappearance. Many elements of this tipster's story were checked out and found to be accurate.

Mileski, contacted in Prison in 2001, admitted in two letters that he did in fact know who the abductor of the Lyon Sisters was. He did not name anyone, but gave a general description of the area in which the girls were buried. Mileski made general statements, but clearly wanted to negotiate for a prison transfer before he would speak with investigators.

Mileski, in his second letter, referred to the girls' abductor as "C.D." and claimed to have met this individual "in the pen". The letter was a long and rambling one and it contained a demand that he be moved from his Baltimore area prison to the Western Correctional Facility in Cumberland, MD. These letters were forwarded to MCP detectives.

The most intriguing thing about a possible PG county connection is that the sketch of "Tape Recorder Man" was recognized by 15 mothers of young girls who had been approached by a man at Iverson Mall and at Marlow Heights Shopping Center on 22 March 1975, three days before the Lyon Sisters disappeared. The Washington Post reported that from one to three PG men were questioned, but that they were not considered suspects at the time. Those sightings place the primary suspect (Tape Recorder Man) right in the close proximity of Mileski, his home, and his alleged associates.

Police most likely spoke with Mileski. He was transferred to Cumberland after 2001, and he died there in December 2004.

It is hard to determine if Mileski actually knew anything about the Lyon case, or if he is just making it all up for his own advantage.

It is my opinion that Mileski was the likely source of the previous tip from other convicts, and that it may have been stories that he told prior to 1977 which surfaced in the 2001 website tip. He certainly claimed knowledge of it in his letters. But whether he actually had any first hand knowledge, or involvement in the girls' disappearance remains part of the mystery.

Sorry for the long quote of one of my previous posts. I wanted to put it here because so many pages of posts have been made since, and because I want to comment on the possible link between Mileski and Welch.

While, I have always felt that the Lyon sisters were abducted by a single individual, acting alone, from the little I have seen about MCP's recently identified Person of Interest, Lloyd Welch, it would seem that if he was connected with the Lyon Sisters's disappearance, it would more likely be as a part of a team rather than as a lone abductor.

I have several reasons for this theory, the biggest reasons being that he was very young at the time (18) and probably not well skilled in abducting two girls in broad daylight. There is no indication that he owned or had access to a vehicle or house in the area.

However, the possibility that he was working with another individual or individuals is intriguing. Many folks have commented on, or questioned how a single person could abduct two girls and that it would be easier for two persons to do the job. Could Welch have been connected with another perpetrator? If so, who?

Most of the potential suspects discussed in this thread are known to be lone killers. That is, they committed their crimes without any known assistance. One, however, sticks out because of stories that he was only peripherly involved, or "got into the act" after the girls were allegedly abducted. That person is Ray Mileski.

Mileski was imprisoned for life because he murdered his wife and oldest son and wounded his youngest son in a fit of rage back in November of 1977. In April of 1982 he became a person of interest to MCP reportedly because other inmates in a Maryland Prison made statements to investigators that he was involved. MCP actually dug up the yard of his former home in Suitland Maryland looking for bodies. They spent about four hours digging, and finding only "bird bones" gave up.

Years later (2001), an informant related a second-hand story that Mileski had admitted being involved in the Lyon case, and the story indicated that another individual or individuals known to Mileski had carried out the actual abduction and later murder of the girls, and that Mileski may have assisted in burying the bodies.

Mileski owned a small business making and installing custom kitchen cabinets. He is known to have employed young boys aged 16 to 18 in this enterprise. He had a white work van which he used to transport his cabinets and tools. His area of operation was basically Prince Georges County and Montgomery County, as well as Washington DC and the Northern Virginia area.

Welch is reported to have lived in Washington DC and in Hyattsville, MD which is in Prince Georges County.

Mileski himself stated in two letters (2001) that he did indeed know who the abductor of the Lyons girls was and he stated that he had met this person "in the pen". He identified this person only as "C.D." Mileski wanted a transfer to the Western Prison in Cumberland, MD in return for assisting investigators. He was in fact transferred to that facility in 2002 where he died in 2004.

Welch was incarcerated in the Maryland prison system starting in April 1982 through some time in 1984. So it is possible that Mileski did know him there if not earlier.

I do not know what information (if any) Mileski subsequently gave to invistigators. He was quite verbose in his letters, and adamant that he knew the abductor of Sheila and Kate. But his writings were general in nature as to locations, details, etc.

As I said before, it is possible that Mileski was making it all up for personal gain or satisfaction, but it is also possible that he did know something of value.

Thank you Richard for you'd interesting post. I wonder why Mileski did not say more prior to his death. I would almost imagine a death-bed confession in this case. Maybe he was making it all up but I doubt it. I find it suspicious that Welch tried to collect the reward for having information on the Lyon case. He surely knows something. I am just hoping that LE knows A LOT more than they are saying. So many people are waiting to hear the truth. The girls parents deserve that.

Thank you Richard for you'd interesting post. I wonder why Mileski did not say more prior to his death. I would almost imagine a death-bed confession in this case. Maybe he was making it all up but I doubt it. I find it suspicious that Welch tried to collect the reward for having information on the Lyon case. He surely knows something. I ami just hoping that LE knows A LOT more than they are saying. So many people are waiting to hear the truth. The girls parents deserve that.

As I stated before, I do not know for certain whether or not CMP investigators ever talked to Mileski, but I suspect that they did. Mileski was not in good health when he made his request for transfer in 2001. He was in a wheel chair at the time.

I never spoke with Mileski personally, but I did see the text of the two letters he wrote to a private investigator who had contacted him in prison prior to his transfer. They were general in nature, but clearly indicated a couple of things:

- He claimed that he knew who abducted and killed the girls and spoke in general terms as to where they might be found.

- He definitely wanted a transfer to the new prison in Cumberland, MD and indicated his willingness to talk to LE in exchange for that move.

Additionally, he corroborated (perhaps unintentionally) some of what the 2001 informant had stated, by suggesting slight changes, while at other times, he indicated that some other things that he was asked about were "way off".

It was clear that Mileski was interested in the Lyon case and likely discussed it with others over the years.

The investigation into the Lyon Sisters disappearance was carried on into Prince Georges County very early on. When the story about the Tape Recorder Man hit the news, a large number of people reported having seen him or someone like him at Iverson Mall and adjacent Marlow Heights Shopping Center on Saturday, 22 March 1975, only three days before the girls disappeared. MCP was reported to have questioned three unnamed Prince Georges County Men in the days which followed the Iverson Mall reports.

What has always intrigued me about the possible Mileski connection, is that he lived very close to Iverson Mall and may have had a business address even closer to the mall than his (1977) Suitland, MD home address. Other known associates of Mileski also lived in that same vicinity.

Updated Chronological Index...

My last update to this list was in 2009. I have gone through it and added some cases which have been discussed in these threads. It is in Chronological Order with victim descriptions and some cross reference as to where in this thread you can find further information on each.

When I origionally started this thread, I felt that it might be helpful to look for similarities in other cases. Victim appearance or age, time of year, time of day, similarities in clothing, in circumstances, geographics, etc.

There are probably quite a few other cases from this era which were discussed on the origional thread (the really long one) and in other more recent ones. I have tried to include vital statistics for each of these victims where I could find the information.

Of course, not all of these cases are related to the Lyon Sisters' case, but I feel very that some of them are. And there may be connections between others as well.

When looking at possible Suspects or Persons of Interest in the Lyon Sisters' case, consider the possibility of a link to one or more of these cases.

Note that most of these cases have their own thread here on Websleuths - some in the Missing categories and some under Cold Cases.

This is a very long post, so if you reply to it, just use the quick reply option or pick the line you want to quote, so as not to repeat the whole thing in your post.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth Ann Metzler, 10, Murdered 6 Dec 1971, Anne Arundel Co, MD
Note: In 1978, a man named Richard Miles Chaney, dob 19 November 1939, was arrested, tried and convicted of the murder of little Elizabeth Ann Metzler. He was believed to also have committed a similar murder in Georgia.
post #68 page 3
----
Sharon Lynn Pretorius, 13, Missing since September 28, 1973 from Dayton, OH
Date of Birth: about 1960 Tall for her age. White female. Long, brown hair, worn in braids. Clothing: A yellow long-sleeved sweater, blue jeans and gym shoes.
Post #113 page 5
Christine Marie Wright, 7, Abducted and Murdered 12 Feb 1974, Chester, VA
Hair: Blonde, Eyes: Blue
Her body was found floating face down in a creek, a little more than two months after she was abducted from the apartment where her parents then lived. An autopsy indicated the child was alive when she was thrown in the water.
(post 223)
----
Jean Marie Schoen Missing since July 21, 1974 from Jacksonville, Duval County, Florida Classification: Endangered Missing Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blond hair.
Dentals: Missing front tooth.
AKA: Jeanie Circumstances of Disappearance
Jean Marie disappeared July 21 after going to a store near her grandmother's house on West 19th Street in Springfield.
Jeanie was an A student at Love Grove Elementary and an eager participant in her Brownie troop's activities. She was feisty and hyperactive.
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/3021dffl.html
----
Nadine O'Dell, 15, Missing 16 August 1974 from Inkster, Wayne County, MI
Date Of Birth: March 14, 1958
Ht: 5' 1"; Wt: 105 lbs.
White female. Strawberry blonde hair; green eyes.
Clothing: White t-shirt with blue faded baggy jeans.
She was wearing her boyfriend's Taylor High School ring on a chain around her neck.
(post 221)
----
The Leslie Sisters;
Cynthia Ardina Leslie, 15 and Jackie Lynn Leslie, 13.
Missing since July 31, 1974 from Mesa, Maricopa County, Arizona.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction
Vital Statistics
Cynthia Ardina Leslie
Date Of Birth: February 1, 1959
Age at Time of Disappearance: 15 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Dark brown mole on the outer side of her right armpit.
She wears eyeglasses and is unable to see without them. Pierced ears.
Clothing: Light blue jeans, summer shirt.
Nickname: Cindy
Dentals: Available
Vital Statistics
Jackie Lynn Leslie
Date Of Birth: February 15, 1961
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Mole on her right cheekbone. Pierced ears.
Clothing: Jeans and a summer shirt.

Circumstances of Disappearance
Cynthia and her sister Jackie were last seen walking together, on July 31, 1974.
They were headed to a friend's home, which was located three blocks away from their own residence in the Desert Sands Mobile Home Park in east Mesa.
They had just moved there a month earlier from Page, Arizona, so that their father, who was suffering from terminal cancer, could be closer to the hospital.
Both girls were last seen walking on Baseline Road near Power Road. They told their mother that they were scheduled to babysit, but she learned afterward that they planned to attend a party.
Cindy likely was meeting a boy her father had forbidden her to see. Teenagers who attended the party were questioned more than once. Stories conflicted. One teenager said the sisters did show up at the party; others said they didn't. Neither Cynthia nor her sister have been heard from since.
In the weeks following the girls' disappearance, family members and sheriff's deputies searched orange groves and cotton fields. These fields have since been replaced by subdivisions, apartments, theaters and stores.
LINKS:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/94dfaz.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/95dfaz.html
----
Jacksonville, FL child abductions and murders Summer of 1974
Five girls, ages 6 to 12, who disappeared within a three-month span (July - October 1974) in Jacksonville. Only two bodies were ever found.
The five abductions - coming so close and apparently unrelated - were unprecedented, said a veteran Jacksonville police officer.
Post #117, page 5 Repost # 212 Page 9
- Jean Marie (Jeanie) Schoen, 9, disappeared July 21 after going to a store near her grandmother's house on West 19th Street in Springfield.
- Lillian Annette Anderson, 11, and her sister,
- Mylette Anderson, 6, disappeared from their Oceanway home Aug. 1 while their mother was attending a sick relative.
- Virginia Helm, 12, disappeared Sept. 27 while going to a convenience store a block from her home on Dean Road on the Southside. A month later, her body was found in a shallow grave south of Beach Boulevard. She had been shot through the head.
- Rebecca Ann Greene, 12, disappeared Oct. 12 after buying soft drinks at a store in her Fairfield neighborhood. Her skeleton was found three years later on Heckscher Drive.
----
Cynthia Gooding, 16 and Teresa Alfonso, 12, Missing Tuesday, 3 Sept 1974 Marathon, FL
Cynthia: 5'2; 100 pounds; White female. Brown hair; brown eyes
Teresa: 5'2"; 120 lbs; White/Hispanic female. Light brown hair; brown eyes.
First post: page 1, updated post #93 page 4
----
Lisa Joy White, 13
Missing since November 1, 1974 from Rockville, Tolland County, Connecticut
Classification: Lost, Injured, Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 2, 1961
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes. She had been a dancer and done acrobatics and was in perfect shape.
Marks, Scars: Small pock mark on forehead over right eye.
Clothing: Blue denim jacket and green pants She was not wearing any jewelry.
Dentals: Available. Had worn teeth braces - teeth perfectly aligned.
Other: Fingerprints not available
Lisa was last seen walking along Prospect Street in Vernon, Connecticut at 20.00 on November 1, 1974. Lisa had gone to see a friend in Rockville. After talking to her, she left to go home but never arrived.
She is the third person out of five to disappear from this area. The bodies of the last two were found a few years later - the first three were never found.
Page 11 post 261
----
Eileen Kelly, 18, Unsolved Murder December 1974, Washington DC
Eileen Kelly, 18 years old, disappeared on 14 December 1974. Nine days later, on 22 December 1974, her body was found in the 17 block of R Street Northeast, Washington DC.
The Coroner stated that she had been dead between 24 and 36 hours when she was found. This would mean that someone had held her captive for several days prior to her murder.
Eileen's killer has never been identified and the case is unsolved. The case is under investigation by the Metropolitan Police.

----
Disappearance of three girls, 23 December 1974 from Fort Worth, TX
Mary Rachel Trlica
Missing since December 23, 1974 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas.
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: November 15, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'6; 108 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown/dark blonde hair; green eyes.
Marks, Scars: A small scar on her chin. She is left-handed.
AKA: Rachel Trlica, Mary Rachel Arnold
Dentals: Available. She has a chipped upper front tooth.
DNA: Available in CODIS.
Lisa Renee Wilson
Missing since December 23, 1974 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas
Classification: Non-Family Abduction Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 29, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'2; 110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, shoulder-length hair; brown eyes.
Marks, Scars: Scar on her thigh
Clothing: Wilson was last seen wearing red and white sneakers and a pale
yellow-green T-shirt with "Sweet Honesty" printed across the front.
Dentals: Available. Very few restorations.
DNA: Available. Circumstances of Disappearance
Julie Ann Moseley
Missing since December 23, 1974 from Fort Worth, Tarrant County, Texas.
Classification: Non-Family Abduction Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 5, 1965
Age at Time of Disappearance: 9 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 4'3; 85 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Light brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Moseley has scars under her left eye; the middle of her forehead; and on the back of her calf.
DNA: Available Circumstances of Disappearance
Rachel Trlica, Lisa Renee Wilson and Julie Ann Moseley were last seen together at the Seminary South Shopping Center on December 23, 1974.
The three girls departed before 12:00 PM and arrived at the Army / Navy Store to retrieve Christmas presents that were on layaway. They then headed to the Seminary South Shopping Center, parking the Trlicas' Oldsmobile on the upper parking level near Sears. Witnesses informed authorities that they had seen the three girls inside the mall during the day.
Their car was found later in the center's parking lot with Christmas presents inside the vehicle.
Police initially assumed that the girls had run away of their own volition. Their families, however, insisted otherwise.
LINKS:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/57dftx.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/58dftx.html
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/59dftx.html
----
Pricilla Blevins, 21, went missing from Charlotte, NC in January 1975.
Pricilla's body was identified through DNA matching in 2012 with as a Jane Doe who had been found in Haywood County, NC in 1985. Her murder remains unsolved.

----
Tina Faye Kemp, 14, Missing since Monday, 3 Feb 1975 from Felton, DE
5'0", 100 pounds, White female, Brown hair, Blue eyes.
Tina's case is not included in NCMEC or the Doenetwork. She is also not listed in the Delaware State Police Website.
post #108 page 5
----
Valerie Seibert, 16, Abducted and Murdered 2 March 1975 Bucks County, PA
An 11th-grader at George Washington High School in Philadelphia, was missing for two days from her home in on Chilton Road in Northeast Philadelphia.
She was discovered on 4 March 1975 lying in a field near Second Street Pike and Swamp Road in Wrightstown, Bucks County, PA by a farmer. Police believed that Seibert was shot twice on the farm. The case is unsolved.
(post 224)
----
Sheila Mary Lyon and Katherine Mary Lyon, Missing since Tuesday, 25 March 1975 from Wheaton, MD
Sheila, age 12 (almost 13), 5'2"; 100 pounds; White female, Blonde hair; blue eyes, wore glasses.
Katherine, age 10 (almost 11), 4'8"; 85 pounds; White female, Blonde hair; blue eyes
----
Steven Eugene Anderson,17 and David Williams,12, Missing since Monday, April 7, 1975 from New Lisbon, NJ
Steven: 5'9"; 150 lbs; White male. Brown, straight, short hair; blue eyes
David: 5'0"; 113 pounds; Black male. Black hair; brown eyes
post #94 page 4
----
Wendy Eaton, 15, Missing since Saturday, 17 May 1975 from Media, PA
Ht: 4' 10"; Wt: 90 pounds; White female. Brown hair; brown eyes, occasionaly wore glasses
post #33 P. 2
----
Edna Christine Thorne,15, Missing Tuesday, 24 June 1975, Philadelphia, PA
Ht: 5' 1" ; Wt: 105 pounds; White female. Brown hair; brown eyes
post #34 page 2
----
Robyn Ann Pettinato, 14, Missing since Saturday, 5 July 1975 from Whitefish, Flathead County, Montana
Date Of Birth: November 12, 1960
Ht: 5' 0"; Wt: 100 lbs. White female. brown hair; blue eyes.
Note: May have had relatives in Pennsylvania or in Kensington, MD.
----
Tracy Anne King, 14, Missing Tuesday, 8 July 1975, from Littlestown, PA
Ht: 5' 3"; Wt: 110 pounds; White female. Red hair; blue eyes
post #35 page 2
----
Kathy Lynn Beatty, 14, from Wheaton (Aspen Hill), MD, abducted attacked on Thursday, 24 July 1975.
Died without regaining consciousness 5 August 1975.
Height/weight not known - thin, White female, Brown (possibly reddish) straight hair, eye color not known
Kathy has her own thread
----
Teresa Lyn Fittin, 18
Missing since August 1, 1975 from Fort Lauderdale, Broward County, Florida.
Classification: Endangered Missing
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: April 19, 1957
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 107-110 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes. Fittin's nickname is "Bunny."
Medical Conditions: She was six weeks pregnant at the time of her disappearance.
Vehicle: 1964 greenish-gray Nash Rambler license plate number 10-16425
Fittin left her Fort Lauderdale, Florida home on August 1, 1975 after an argument with her boyfriend and has never been seen again.
She left all her belongings behind, and $300 on her dresser. Her wallet was found in a local library ten days later but her 1964 greenish-gray Nash Rambler has never been located. She hasn't accessed her bank accounts.
It is possible that Fittin may have traveled to Tennessee, Colorado and Pennsylvania.
Authorities suspect foul play is involved in her disappearance.
Page 11 Post 259

----
Carolyn Majane, 15, went missing Friday, 22 Aug 1975, from Moorestown, NJ.
Her body was found in 1985, buried in a remote area. Description not available.
post #65 page 3
----
Kurt Ronald Newton, 4
Missing since September 1, 1975 from Chain Of Ponds, Maine.
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: June 28, 1971
Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'8; 45 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Clothing: A navy blue jacket, a blue sweatshirt, multi colored corduroy pants, mismatched socks and brown high shoes.
Newton's family was camping at the Natanis Campground in Chain Of Ponds, ME on September 1, 1975. Newton was last seen riding his Big Wheel near his family's site; he wandered away from the road and has never been seen nor heard from since. His tricycle was found at a dump site eight-tenths of a mile from his family's campsite.
Page 12 Post 278
----
Teresa Lynn Rhodes
Missing since September 27, 1975 from Greensburg, Westmoreland County, PA
Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: January 15, 1962
Age at Time of Disappearance: 13
Height: 5'3"
Weight: 120 lbs
Eye Color: Hazel
Hair Color: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Scar from a dog bite on her upper lip, believed to be on the left side.
Clothing: A red and white jacket, red slacks
Nickname: Teri
Case Details
On Saturday, September 27, 1975, at around 11 a.m., Teri Rhodes, of South Greensburg, Pennsylvania left her home to go to a girlfriend's house.
At 13, Teri was not yet allowed to date. She never missed dinner time and always, when she left the house, would tell where she was going.
It was later discovered, however, that going to a friend's house, or shopping at the mall, may have been cover stories for a lifestyle she'd been introduced to, one that included a former South Greensburg police officer later convicted for a contract murder, a friend of the cop who was allegedly into the drug world and who had a fondness for young girls, and a so-called 'party house' on Bell Way in Greensburg.
Teri's disappearance was initially viewed as that of a runaway and was treated as such, despite the fact that when she left her home that afternoon, she didn't take her purse or pack a bag and none of her clothes were missing. Yet there were no press releases, no media coverage and the original police report only contains a description of Teri and the words "possible runaway".
It was years after Teri disappeared that her friend admitted that the two girls had been at the Bell Way house on that Saturday. The friend last saw Teri at about 6pm as she (the friend) was leaving the party with a man. The friend made it home that night. Teri didn't.
In 1987, a relative of Teri's family contacted a local psychic. Information the psychic gave led to a search of Schenley Park in Pittsburgh, and another search in 1989 at St Clair Park in Greensburg. No trace of Teri was found.
Another lead came from an incarcerated confidential informant to the state police. Teri's body was allegedly buried in an area of Keystone State Park locally referred to as "Transylvania", an area known in the '60s and '70s as a lover's lane and keg party site. But again, Teri's remains weren't found.
Over the years, tips have trickled in, but the questions to what happened to Teri Rhodes on that Saturday in 1975 have not been answered and she remains missing.
-----
Cassandra Nadine Landrum, 18, Missing 29 Sept 1975 from Union City, GA
Date Of Birth: August 26, 1957
Ht: 5' 1"; Wt: 100 pounds White female. Blonde hair; hazel eyes.
Marks, Scars: Small scar on her forehead
Clothing: Blue jeans and two red shirts, one short sleeved and one long. She was barefoot.
AKA: Sandra
(post 220)
----
Dorothy Delilah Scofield, 12, Missing Thursday, 22 July 1976, Ocala, FL
Ht: 4' 11"; Wt: 100 pounds; White female. Brown, straight hair; blue eyes. Wore glasses
post #58, page 3
----
Judy Ann Sylvester, 22, Missing 24 Jan 1977 from Virginia Beach, VA
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: July 8 1954
Age at Time of Disappearance: 22 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0", 100lbs
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Jewelry: Hand made necklace
Judy was last seen in 1977. She did not show up for work or pick up her paycheck from the restaurant she worked at in Virginia Beach.
LINK:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/684dfva.html
post #81 page 4
----
Deborah Ann Quimby, 13
Missing since May 3, 1977 from Townsend, Middlesex County, Massachusetts.
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: October 9, 1963
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'1; 120 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; brown eyes. She has freckles.
Clothing: A multicolored shirt, blue jeans, and a royal blue Pop Warner jacket with the name "Debbie" embroidered on the sleeve.
Quimby left a note for her mother saying that she was riding her bike from her house on Smith Street at about 16.00, to her grandparent's house on Vinton Pond Road in West Townsend and would call home later that day.
The bike ride was about four miles long. She was last seen on the crest of the hill on Turnpike Road, heading west.
Her bike, a brown Takara 10-speed bike, boys model, has never been found.
Post # 206 page 9
----
Eva Gerline/Jurlyn DEBRUHL, 15, Missing Wednesday, 29 June 1977 from Catawba or Rock Hill, York Co, SC
Ht: 5' 1"; Wt: 105 lbs; White female. Brown hair; blue eyes
post #37 page 2
----
Cheryl Ann Moser Iacovone, 17, Missing since 12 July 1977 from Secane, Delaware County, Pennsylvania.
Date Of Birth: April 22, 1960
Height: 5 feet 8 inches Weight: 120 Pounds. White female. Hair: Blonde Eyes: Green
Cheryl Anne Moser Iacovone was last seen walking to a friend's house in Secane, Pennsylvania on July 12, 1977.
(post 222)
----
Jane Louise Puckett, 16, Missing 23 Nov 1977 from Colonial Heights, VA
Date Of Birth: June 26, 1961
Ht: 5'2" (157 cm.) Wt:115 lbs. (52 kg.) White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Jane has two small scars near her right eye, one is on the side of her eye and the other is about one inch below her eye. Dentals Available
Post # 114 page 5
----
Michael McCool, 14
Missing since June 28, 1978 from Philadelphia, Philadelphia County, Pennsylvania.
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: February 15, 1964
Age at Time of Disappearance: 14 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'0; 100 pounds
Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: McCool has a scar near his right eye. Significant dimple in the point of his chin.
McCool was last seen on June 28, 1978 in his Kensington home. He left for work and never came home. He was last seen with two adult males.
Page 11 Post 262
----
Barbara Jean Monaco, 18
Missing since August 20, 1978 from Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vital Statistics
Date Of Birth: August 19, 1960
Age at Time of Disappearance: 18 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 110 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown, shoulder length hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: Long sleeved, yellow shirt; blue jeans; a brown belt and wooden clogs.
Medical: She had just been sick with Guillane-Barre syndrom.
On August 20, 1978, Barbara Monaco drove to the beach from Derby, Connecticut with her older sister. The girls registered at the Old Aloah Motel on 15th Street. They planned to stay for a week.
In the wee hours of August 23, Barbara Jean left her sister and set out on foot for Peabody's where she had a date with a bartender. Somewhere along Pacific Avenue, she vanished. Witnesses told police they saw her get into a car.
The spring after her disappearance, an informant came forward, seeking a reward. He told of local guys who drove Barbara Jean to a cottage near Oceana where they raped and strangled her. They dumped her body in the water, he said. The informant reportedly passed a police polygraph test, but prosecutors declined to offer him immunity in return for his testimony because they thought he was involved in the killing.
Link:
http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1765dfva.html
----
Elizabeth Archard, 13, Murdered 28 Aug 1978, Prince Georges County, MD
post #51 page 3
----
Amanda Ray, 10, Abducted and murdered by Fred Howard Coffey, Jr. 1979 from Charlotte, NC
----
Marcia Estelle Remick, 17
Missing since June 9, 1979 from Virginia Beach, Virginia
Vital Statistics
Age at Time of Disappearance: 17 years old
Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 5'4"; 100 lbs.
Distinguishing Characteristics: White female. Brown hair; green eyes. Pierced ears.
Marcia Estelle Remick was last seen on June 9, 1979 when she told a roommate that she was going to visit a friend at the ocean front. She never arrived.
Marcia's usual mode of travel was either on foot or by hitchhiking.
During the investigation, there were rumors that the victim was in Florida, however, this information has never been confirmed. Foul play suspected.
Page 13 Post 316
----
Kimberly Alice King, 12
Missing from Warren, Macomb County, Michigan
September 16, 1979
Vital Statistics
Date of Birth: October 21, 1966
Age at time of disappearance:
12-years-old
Approximate Height: 5'5
Approximate Weight: 105
Hair: Brown
Distinguishing Characteristics: Caucasian female.
Clothing: Blue sweater and levis
Circumstances
Kimberly spent the night at a friend's home on September 15, 1979. She was last seen crossing the street to use a telephone in Warren, Michigan the following day. There is speculation as to a connection between Kimberly's disappearance and the Oakland County Child Killings, as she was to have lived only two streets away from one of the prime suspects in the case.
Page 13 Post 309
------
Cynthia Joan Gastelle, 18, Unsolved Maryland Murder April 1980.
Cynthia Joan Gastelle left her Takoma Park home on the morning of April 3, 1980, her family said, headed for job interviews in Silver Spring. The diminutive 18-year-old made it to one appointment, at a delicatessen, and then disappeared.
Cynthia&#8217;s father reported her missing, and for more than 30 years, the Gastelle family searched for her, making agonizing trips to morgues and fielding tips from across the country. Each lead turned up cold. ...
... (in June 2012), authorities announced that DNA from skeletal remains found in 1982 &#8212; in what was then a remote section of Prince William County &#8212; was Cynthia&#8217;s. ... Unquote.
- Cynthia was born close to the same time that Sheila was. Cynthia was 13 in April 1975 and Sheila was to turn 13 by that date.
- The dates of disappearance are almost exactly five years apart, and there were 5 year anniversary articles about the Lyon Sisters in the press just prior to Cynthia's disappearance.
- Silver Spring is very close to Wheaton.
- The time of year/month of disappearance was very close. Easter Sunday fell on 6 April in 1980. Cynthia went missing on Thrusday, 3 April, only three days before Easter. Sheila and Kate went missing on Tuesday, 25 March, which was 5 days before Easter, which fell on 30 March in 1975. It is probable that the week prior to Easter was during school break in both years.
- Cynthia, like the Lyon sisters, was traveling to or from a business in mid day by herself when last seen.
- Cynthia's body was eventually found in a wooded area of Prince William County, Virginia in February 1982. There have been references to the possibility of the Lyon Sisters being transported to neighboring Virginia over the years, and some of the potential suspects discussed in these threads were from Virginia as well.
page 14 Post 342
-----
Donna Michele Barnhill, 13, Missing March 18, 1981 from Lexington, NC
Date Of Birth: April 19, 1967
Ht: 5' 7"; Wt: 125 pounds White female. Brown straight hair; brown eyes.
Clothing: An orange sweatshirt; jeans; and a dark jacket.
Post # 115, page 5
----
Neely Smith, 5, abducted and murdered 1981 from Charlotte, NC
Prime suspect: Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.
Post #65 Page 3
----
Wendy Lou Stark, 20, abducted and murdered 9 April 1982, Kensington, Montgomery County, MD
A University of Maryland student. She was randomly targeted and abducted from the parking lot of the Hillandale Shopping Center at approximately 4:00 p.m. She was sexually assaulted at an unknown location. At approximately, 9:00 p.m., in an attempt to break free from her assailant, she managed to get out of the car in which she was forced as a passenger. While she was trying to enter a home on Mitcher Street just north of Kensington, she was shot and killed by her assailant. Recent DNA testing identified Gerald Anderson Abernathy as her killer. Abernathy died at age 66 of lung cancer in October 2007 while in a North Carolina prison.
(post 243)
----
Ann Gotlib, 12, Missing since 1 June 1983 from Louisville, KY
Date Of Birth: May 5, 1971
Ht: 5' 1" ; Wt: 85 pounds. White female. Red/auburn curly hair; gray eyes. Fair complexion and light-colored eyebrows.
Marks, Scars: She has freckles on her face and moles on her lower back. She also has pierced ears.
Clothing: Navy blue shorts with white stripes on the sides, a red and white t-shirt, beige tennis shoes and gold earrings with purple stones.
Post #196 page 8
----
Josephine (16) and Joyce (15) Cogburn, missing 2 Oct 1983 from Norman, OK
- Josephine Yvette Cogburn: Ht: 5' 1"; Wt: 128 pounds White female. Brown hair; blue eyes.
Tattoos: Josephine has "VETTE" with a swirl underneath in script lettering inside of the foot, near the toes.
- Joyce Irene Cogburn: Ht: 5' 3"; Wt: 116 pounds White female. Blonde hair; brown eyes.
(post 225)
----
Martha Jean Lambert, 12, Missing since 27 Nov 1985 from Elkton, FL
Date Of Birth: March 26, 1973
Ht: 4' 5" (135 cm.); Wt: 70 pounds (32 kg.) White female. Blonde hair; blue eyes.
Marks, Scars: Birthmarks on the front of her right thigh and on the upper part of her left chest.
Clothing: A matching two-piece bathing suit
Dentals: Lambert has slightly protruding teeth.
Post # 194 page 8
----
Michelle Jolene Lakey, 11, Missing since 26 Aug 1986 from Scranton, PA
Date Of Birth: October 21, 1974
Age at Time of Disappearance: 11 years old
Ht: 5' 0"; Wt: 80 pounds. White female. Dark blonde/brown hair; brown eyes. Lakey had long fingernails at the time of her disappearance.
Clothing: Lakey was last seen wearing dark blue sweatpants; a white shirt with purple trim; and size 8 brown sandals; size 14 clothes.
Dentals: Not available
Post #197 page 8
----
Travis Shane King, 8, Abducted and Murdered August 1986, Bristol, VA
Prime Suspect: Fred Howard Coffey, Jr.
----
Jennifer Lynn Pandos, 15, Missing since 10 Feb 1987 from Williamsburg, James City County, VA
Date Of Birth: October 29, 1971
Ht: 5' 2"; Wt: 100 pounds White female. Brown hair; hazel eyes. Left-handed.
Marks, Scars: Pandos has a small mole on her left shoulder.
Clothing: Pink sweater, pink nylon waist jacket, blue jeans, white Hi top tennis shoes. Dentals Available. DNA: Available.
( post 219)

Interesting that on FB, some people related to LLW and RAW, Sr have ON THEIR FRIEND'S LIST, some people with the last name---"COFFEY". Relatives of Fred Coffey???
Coincidence? I would not be surprised if he and LLW and RAW, Sr. knew each other in Maryland and/or Virginia. The same thing may follow suit with many known convicts throughout the country, especially since LLW traveled the country for 20 years. It may go deeper than just family.

Interesting that on FB, some people related to LLW and RAW, Sr have ON THEIR FRIEND'S LIST, some people with the last name---"COFFEY". Relatives of Fred Coffey???
Coincidence? I would not be surprised if he and LLW and RAW, Sr. knew each other in Maryland and/or Virginia. The same thing may follow suit with many known convicts throughout the country, especially since LLW traveled the country for 20 years. It may go deeper than just family.

I saw that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motherof5:
You noticed the same thing? Do you or anyone happen to remember where the post is about a person claiming he and his parents knew a man who would carry a tape recorder around?
I believe he said the last name was Casey and that we should look him up.

motherof5:
You noticed the same thing? Do you or anyone happen to remember where the post is about a person claiming he and his parents knew a man who would carry a tape recorder around?
I believe he said the last name was Casey and that we should look him up.

I remember that but not sure about the name though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://hyattsvillelife.com/exclusiv...-family-home-property-for-clues-in-1975-case/

New article, not much new info but I missed this line- "At a press conference the day before the Hyattsville search, Bedford County Commonwealth&#8217;s Attorney Randy Krantz said, &#8220;We know who was responsible. Each and every one of them.&#8221;

Pretty strong language. Grand jury has been meeting for a week, hopefully they will indict soon.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back