Prosecutor Juan Martinez releases new book, February 2016 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing that was disappointing about Juan's book was that he didn't really discuss the second penalty phase trial at all. I would have loved to have heard his thoughts about Jodi wanting to testify in a closed courtroom and how he felt about the endless, pointless testimony about whether there was *advertiser censored* on Travis's computer. Juan says in the Vinnie Politan interview (a GREAT interview, BTW) was that in writing the book it was difficult to know how much he should include for fear of boring the reader (as if!) so maybe that's why he left it out.

You can see light between his big toe and second so I don't think there's a sock on it. At least with this pic it's clear it is a foot, there's even a shadow under it, it's one of the reason's JM said during trial he thought T was dead by then, the position of his foot. But I don't think she could get his head up that high just by pulling on his arm, still requires more study.

To this day, I still find it difficult to believe JA did this to him because of her size and TA has been working as you can see in the foot pic, his arms are quite defined. With that being said, adrenaline can make all the difference in the world.

They took both still photos and a video on the camera and then she erased them. Techs were able to recover the thumbnails of the still photos but not the video. Something about a video taking up so much space on the card. Det Flores says something about it on the interrogation video when he explains to Jodi how the were able to retrieve the photos.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

Oh, I get it. I'm too old-fashioned to contemplate that the same camera would do stills and video. Duh! I had assumed there would have to be a video camera as well as the Sony!

Maybe because Travis used index cards daily, for his to-do lists, and his friends knew that he did. I think he even mentioned this habit of his in one of his blog entries.

I get it now.....she was trying not only to fake his writing but to reproduce it in a medium that was Travis-ish, namely the index cards.

Just sickening.....

What kind of medicines? Something that could disable Travis?

He didn't specify. He wrote 'over-the-counter medicine and water'. So she bought water from McDonalds and CVS. I wonder why she said she had a case of water from Costco. If it's a lie, what purpose did it serve? Just to be able to say 'I used it to wash off a little bit of blood from my hand'?

Or maybe it was attached to her left wrist by a strap (not his, which was still in the box, unused).

JM believes that she wielded the knife in her right hand.

Wasn't it the left with the cut finger? That's confusing: how did JM come up with "right hand"?

Regarding the "new" photo. I'm unclear. Is JA in the process of dragging Travis or in the process of stabbing him? This seems to be before she slit his throat?

I agree that his throat was not cut in that picture at least not cut the way the autopsy pics showed. My DH had throat surgery and afterwards he had to keep his head and neck still. He had a sign at the head of his bed that stated "DO NOT MOVE PATIENTS HEAD" His neck muscles were cut and one was removed because of cancer. It was replaced with a muscle from his chest. He could not raise his head alone for a long time. He had to use his hand to help raise his head. So if Travis's neck was cut clear to the spine, his head would have flopped and no way it would be raised like it was in the picture, if he had no muscle to hold it up.

Are you looking at the attachment with her foot in front of TA's head. His throat is slit and she has her hand over his mouth. You can see TA's chin and his foot is in the back.

Here you go, with my apologies.
http://www.kirknurmisbook.com/www/book1.txt

"I snapped out of my shock when I heard Ms. Arias' howling while
supposedly in the midst of an orgasm. I use the word howling because what
I heard reminded me of an old movie "Porky's." Some of you may know it
was a big hit in 1982 and it contained a scene in which two gym teachers
had sex and the female teacher whose nickname was "Lassie" howled so loud
that a gym full of students could hear her."

^Actual quote from the 'book'.
It's unreadable, IMO. I am browsing it with my jaw on my chest.

Thank you for the link.

From reading what you quoted-- It doesn't surprise me that Nurmi is a "Porky's" movie fan. :facepalm: :shame:

Have any of you read Nurmis book? I had no interest in it, but seeing that it's available online for free and I am looking for something to read on my lunch break I pulled it up.
The contrast between his and Juans approach continues to be stark.
Nurmi writes the way he lawyers... like he's talking to idiots. He got the case, and the case came with a lot of 'stuff'. He had a lot of 'stuff' to learn, but don't worry! He'll tell you about that later. He got more 'stuff', and he'll tell you about that in his next book.
Where Juan obsesses about getting through his court appearance so that he can get back to looking into the gas cans, Nurmi writes 'It was a Monday and I was begrudgingly coming into the
office on a Monday like most of us with nine to five jobs do on Monday mornings. After going through my customary ritual of setting my stuff down and turning on the radio to the local sports talk station I turned on my computer and checked my e-mail.'

I wonder what day of the week that happened?

lawls. Oh Nurmi. I get why your book is free for everyone.
Based on the snippets I have read from both Nurmi and Juan's book, it is apparent that Nurmi cannot contain his obvious hatred for his ex-client. Nurmi's book is from a very angry and emotional perspective, and he obviously enjoyed 'sticking it to her' with some of the things he wrote about her (her 'grooming' habits is one good example). On the other hand Juan has shown what a calculating, manipulative, and arrogant person he was dealing with, without clouding the picture with his own emotions. With Juan's book, it's obvious that he doesn't care about Arias on any emotional level, i.e., he's not a 'hater'. She committed a horrific crime and it was his job to prosecute her for that crime. He never allowed her to get under his skin like Nurmi has. It's ironic that one of Arias' biggest 'haters' (I've always disliked that term and Arias' obsessive use of it) was on her own defense team. :moo:

To this day, I still find it difficult to believe JA did this to him because of her size and TA has been working as you can see in the foot pic, his arms are quite defined. With that being said, adrenaline can make all the difference in the world.

And physical fitness makes all the difference, I hate to say it, but Jodi's body type did come across as physically active to me (cough, I can't say for sure if her bedroom antics were all that was required, people/roommate stated she was prostituting) and adrenaline for someone her size coupled with I imagine, quite the bit of focus - which I'm sure Travis noticed, he seemed disturbed in the photo). I myself am only 5' 4", however, I have been told I have quite the bit of strength and it caused quite the bit of surprise for my fitness trainer that first time way back when. I'm active and like to strength train (running/jogging by themselves do enhance your strength, dexterity, balance, and core like you wouldn't believe).

That's why many times people can fend off their attackers here in NY. Direct hits to certain locations or catching them off-guard (did we not also think she stun-gunned him?). But usually threatening your victim with a knife or gun results in them being unable to flee...

I'm kind of surprised she held a camera, perhaps she held the gun with one hand, knife in other, he would be even more disadvantaged.

By the way, I think I remember the book stating he couldn't scream after a while, the body also goes into shock immediately (excessive body pain/jolts arrive thereafter). I think Dr. Horn said he was stabbed in the chest first...

Warning: This is a gruesome example of what the body goes through - it has no choice: https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110908150115AAMf5Zp

I agree that his throat was not cut in that picture at least not cut the way the autopsy pics showed. My DH had throat surgery and afterwards he had to keep his head and neck still. He had a sign at the head of his bed that stated "DO NOT MOVE PATIENTS HEAD" His neck muscles were cut and one was removed because of cancer. It was replaced with a muscle from his chest. He could not raise his head alone for a long time. He had to use his hand to help raise his head. So if Travis's neck was cut clear to the spine, his head would have flopped and no way it would be raised like it was in the picture, if he had no muscle to hold it up.

It is still possible started to slit his throat from behind as there is quite a bit of blood streaming down his shoulder.

Since the pic displays they moving away from the bathroom, she could of dragged him to the bedroom/entrance and finished the job then.

Not yet caught up, 300 more posts to read... but...

Hope4More said:
He doesn't specify which. Sadly, at least so far, he doesn't address those other 90 odd pics on the memory stick.
Caylee Advocate said:
I know, I haven't quite finished the book yet, but probably will later tonight. There is still so many unanswered questions in my head... probably always will be.

I would suggest you all keep a list of questions for Juan - maybe Tricia can get him to come on her True Crimes radio show!

:juanettes:

still :waiting: for my book - 4 more days..

But I like the excerpts you all are posting - getting anxious to read the book myself!

Thanks all!

It only looks squared because it's a shoe with a sock on over it. You can see the impressions of the shoe laces. Also, the length is right. IMO

That is what I saw to begin with when the darker pic was in play "sock over shoe" but I'm still looking and a friend of mine who works with images is going to study it tonight.

Such an interesting book, especially as it helped to explain to non-Americans how your court system works. I didn't hear about this trial until the time of second penalty phase so have probably missed loads, although I've tried to read all the old posts on here!

It was interesting in the book that Juan highlighted what was found in the rental car when she was arrested (the gun and knives). Any thoughts about where she was going? I got the impression he might've had some thoughts but didn't want to stray too much into unsubstantiated pondering.

New case now being compared to the felons is the Angelika Groswald case...even entertains the camera waiting for the dectective to finish questioning....will we all move over there? After CA and JA now this one?

I'm already there after seeing a True Crime show about it, think it was 20/20. She is a foreign version of Jodi, but every bit as self-centered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapper_physicist