Read this - Post from another hiker- details about GMH a bit..

Would a confession be required in in the other cases in order to give him the DP? I am wondering if the information collected from this case would have the no DP agreement string attached if applied to the other cases.

I doubt that they could make conditions harsher for him than for other prisoners. There are watchdog rights groups that prevent that, unfortunately.

Any word on where he will be sent to serve out his sentence? I wonder if they can arrange for his to be in solitary at a supermax...make conditions so harsh that Hilton will offer up more confessions in return for some privileges or seeing Dandy or something.

I was just discussing this with a fellow co worker who does volunteer prison ministry work. He said that probably Hilton will go to Georgia State Prison at Reidsville, Ga. (east of Savannah)

http://www.cpa.eku.edu/georgia.htm

From the AJC/Gwinnett yesterday "Hilton will immediately begin serving a life sentence in the Georgia state penitentiary in Jackson. He will not be eligible for parole until 2038, when the drifter and petty criminal will be 91 years old."

I'm sure that living in the woods was getting old and now he has a warm bed, food and shower. Why rock the boat. But no Dandy.

To be honest, I'd think the opposite. I think he's going to go absolutely bonkers trapped inside a little prison cell. (oh, shuckee darn). Pure Maple Syrup has the right idea - tiny little solitary confinement, and tell him if he talks, he'll get to see the sky sometime... maybe....

Meanwhile, the Tallahassee Democrat had this little snippet in an article about Hilton's plea agreement:
Judge Bonnie Oliver told Hilton, 61, that she agreed with the plea deal because he would likely have died of natural causes in prison before the state would be able to execute him if he were sentenced to death.

Besides, my personal opinion is he deserves to suffer... why let him off so easy as an execution? And, he's got lots of information he can't give if he's dead.

To be honest, I'd think the opposite. I think he's going to go absolutely bonkers trapped inside a little prison cell. (oh, shuckee darn). Pure Maple Syrup has the right idea - tiny little solitary confinement, and tell him if he talks, he'll get to see the sky sometime... maybe....

Meanwhile, the Tallahassee Democrat had this little snippet in an article about Hilton's plea agreement:

Besides, my personal opinion is he deserves to suffer... why let him off so easy as an execution? And, he's got lots of information he can't give if he's dead.

I don't think they are allowed to treat him differently than the rest of the prison population in order to get information. I think he'll adjust to his environment, don't forget it's what he asked for in his plea deal. He may even be in solitary as part of his deal. Any details on that deal, yet?

When you have a forum to spread out discussions, it is helpful to people who work so they don't have to read a thread that is several pages long to gather information or post. Also, when you mix so many discussions into one thread...it is difficult to go back to discuss certain points and if you want to find reference material later it gets frustrating to dig for it.

People will soon stop posting altogether on the forum. This is only the beginning of GMH's cases. Feel free to make other threads on whatever topic you choose, but please take advantage of the threads already up. :) I think this thread was to discuss what a hiker or hikers had posted about GHM, if I am not mistaken.

I think Seriously Searching has a point about the threads thing. I think also that it was my fault that we got off topic and started getting rowdy--somewhere just after my posts about the Pink Beds and the Bryants, I got off topic and then the trial stuff started and I didn't know how to be sure where we'd all be so we could react to it together. I guess it's unacceptable to say it was still a lot of fun just talking to you folks about just whatever without the file cabinet system. Maybe we could have both systems. A kind of Family Room for having fun and the threads system for organized info, links, etc. I certainly wouldn't want to be the cause of anybody to stop posting or not joining or whatever.

After you go through a few long cases, Alex, you will learn to appreciate having a forum!! LOL Newbies sometimes don't understand why we get excited to finally get a case to a forum status (Mods don't make forums for just any case...they are few and far between). The reason is to organize things to make it easier to keep track of the details without losing our minds. >wink<

We have an Off Topic thread to hang out and talk about everything else. We do like to let down, joke, and visit around here, too. Life is too serious to be serious all the time. :)

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1906790#post1906790

I will keep tabs on the hiking websites that I have learned about from WS. ( I had no idea there were websites for missing persons or hiking until I searched out of concern for Meredith!). I still think that legitimate hikers in North Georgia, Western North Carolina, Florida, etc, might be the most likely witnesses to Hilton's whereabouts when the crimes he is suspected of were committed. I will post here in this thread if I learn anything new. And, Alex, I do hope that you will keep us all informed about what you hear in the local media as well as the word on the street. That is a really valuable perspective, which is very much appreciated !:blowkiss:

PS Thanks for the great advice about forums and threads, SS. I'm a newbie, too, and will try to follow what has been found to work best for everybody over the years!

I know, Truly! I didn't realize there was such a subculture for hiking either until this case! It is almost like a cult thing. LOL OK not exactly, but you know what I mean hopefully.

Keep the posts from hikers coming!! I think they will add more to this investigation than anything by placing him in different areas at different times. It was his MO to attack people in the wilderness and take advantage of the surroundings. How scary it is to know he was out there laying in wait for a victim!

Thanks for understanding about the forum and the thread thing. Sometimes it just gets frustrating to keep digging for information for people who are trying to find things from a specific source. :) Appreciate it!

I know, Truly! I didn't realize there was such a subculture for hiking either until this case! It is almost like a cult thing. LOL OK not exactly, but you know what I mean hopefully.

Keep the posts from hikers coming!! I think they will add more to this investigation than anything by placing him in different areas at different times. It was his MO to attack people in the wilderness and take advantage of the surroundings. How scary it is to know he was out there laying in wait for a victim!

Thanks for understanding about the forum and the thread thing. Sometimes it just gets frustrating to keep digging for information for people who are trying to find things from a specific source. :) Appreciate it!

There were a number of us hikers on that thread who joined WS specifically because of this case. True, some of us are "newbies" with limited understanding of this forum's basics and have now been enlightened... to some degree.
We interpreted that thread to mean hikers and hiker experiences on the AT, which also meant us by definition. We are the hikers. We weren't just trying to make sense of some murder in the news or in our state, but a murder that affects those of us actively using the AT trail system. I am sorry that we got off topic and for so long, as has been pointed out, but I think we thought we were on topic because we are the hikers.
It is not a cult thing- most of us do not hike in large cult groups, but just as Meredith did, with a friend or dog. We find time in our schedules to fit in a hike because it is/was pleasurable and serves to decompress from work, not because it is some sort of religion.
I'm not sure if I will participate again in that particular thread, I felt chastised like a child. Upon reading other threads I have seen a lot of wandering off topic at length by new and seasoned posters with no chastising. I will read and comment on other threads because my life has many facets to it besides hiking, cult or otherwise.
Again, I am sorry for my part in making your viewing of that thread difficult. I know as a mod you can't be everywhere.

Panglossian, I hope you will stay! I can tell you that I have been chastised in the past ( though not here) when I was new to a board, and just did not know how things were done...
you have contributed a lot of good perspective here, and I appreciate it. I hope you will stay. I think it is just a question as to where a Mod happens to look, as to whose "hand gets slapped".

And, I never viewed hikers as a cult, any more than dog lovers...I am sure you are a diverse group who just happen to share a love of the outdoors, and of hiking......

I am not a mod! Sorry. I guess I should not have said a word. I never meant to offend anyone here!!!!!

I meant cult as in from what I have been reading here that there is a definite structure of people who hike and seem to not only have their own verbal internet system while on trails, but their own lingo as well. I think it is awesome, but I didn't know it existed. I didn't even know there was a difference in day hikers or other kinds. I think it is great as I love the outdoors myself, but never took up hiking as such. Growing up, heading out to the woods was as natural as playing ball in the yard. We did it daily. I understand why you love it so much. :)

I am not trying to dictate to anyone that they have to follow any rules. I was simply pointing out that this case is going to get more and more involved. We do follow every case as it comes and every nuance of every case.

Sheesh! I am not a mod! Soooorrry. I guess I should not have said a word. I never meant to offend anyone here!!!!!

I can't even comment on hikers now! Wow! I meant cult as in from what I have been reading here that there is a definite structure of people who hike and seem to not only have their own verbal internet system while on trails, but their own lingo as well. I think it is awesome, but I didn't know it existed. I didn't even know there was a difference in day hikers or other kinds. I think it is great as I love the outdoors myself, but never took up hiking as such. Growing up, heading out to the woods was as natural as playing ball in the yard. We did it daily. I understand why you love it so much. :)

I am NOT trying to dictate to anyone that they have to follow any "rules". I was simply pointing out that this case is going to get more and more involved. We do follow every case as it comes and every nuance of every case, but you guys can have at it here. I will just read the other threads and will miss the input unfortunately. No big deal.

SS, I didn't take offense. I was a little taken aback at the "cult" reference, but not offended. It IS true that AT hikers (esp thruhikers) do have very closeknit community, and yes we do have our own lingo, etc. For my part, I didn't realize that this wasn't common knowledge. Nice that we can learn from each other.

Also I agree that this thread has run its course, the Emerson/Hilton situation has turned a corner. She has been laid to rest, he has pled guilty and is headed for the penitentiary for life.

Maybe a new thread like "The aftermath of the Emerson/Hilton kidnapping" or something would be good...?

I'm not sure if I will participate again in that particular thread, I felt chastised like a child. Upon reading other threads I have seen a lot of wandering off topic at length by new and seasoned posters with no chastising. I will read and comment on other threads because my life has many facets to it besides hiking, cult or otherwise.
Again, I am sorry for my part in making your viewing of that thread difficult. I know as a mod you can't be everywhere.
Hey Pang, I think we should stick around. I ran into a seriously weird situation with an extremely creepy person here when I first joined, and almost left. But some PMs from some regulars here convinced me to stay, they suggested using the "ignore" function, and that took care of any further problems.

Meredith, Cheryl, Irene and John were hikers just like us, let's stay and see if we can help.

Great point, Maple syrup...one of the saddest things to me, was to read that John and Irene specifically moved to that area of N.C. JUST so they could hike all the time...they left behind years and years of a productive life in upstate NY just so they could retire to their dream place....

S.S., I just thought of you as an experienced poster on this board, did not mean to say you were a mod, and I know your intentions were/are the best. I always learn from your posts.

yes, I agree it is time to close this thread down.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back