Rene Blackmore, 20, disappeared/body found in 1982. Marcelles McCluster, 64, being prosecuted in 2022.

vls12345

Reaction score

In 1982, the body of a Fort Benning Army private was discovered in Chattahoochee County. Her killer was never found.

Now 40 years later, a suspect has been indicted and Channel 2′s Dave Huddleston is the only reporter who has spoken with the men responsible for solving the case.

[snip]

“An unsolved homicide case doesn’t go away. it stays in that office. Forever,” GBI cold case squad investigator Don Robertson said.

Four decades later, three retired GBI agents believe they’ve finally found the man responsible for Blackmore’s death.

They make up half the GBI’s newly formed cold case squad.

“We got started in January of 20,” GBI cold case squad investigator Chris Tolbert said.

[snip]

They were able to follow an old lead that eventually paid off.

“We’ve got somebody we believe is very guilty and is going to be prosecuted,” Robertson said.

He was referring to the prosecution of Marcelles McCluster, 64, a man already serving a life sentence for a separate homicide.

While they know not every case will have the same outcome, they’re ready for the challenge.

“It’s all about the victims and the victims’ families getting these cases solved and getting the bad guys off the street,” Talkington said.

[snip]

The cold case squad didn’t want us to share the specifics of what led them to the indictment, because the case is actually moving through the courts right now and they don’t want anything to jeopardize this case that took 40 years to potentially solve.

The hearing was originally continued from April 25, 2022 due to the suspect’s lack of attorney. Judge McBride went forward with the arraignment in a hearing that lasted less than 15 minutes.

Marcellus McCluster, 64, of Richland, Georgia was indicted in March by a Chattahoochee County Grand Jury for the 1982 murder of Fort Benning soldier, René Dawn Blackmore, of Arizona. McCluster faces one count of malice murder and four counts of felony murder.

McCluster had no attorney and entered a not guilty plea. He told Judge Gil McBride he has nothing to do with this case.

“I don’t see why I’m being involved in the case, I ain’t got nothing to do with the case, I don’t know why they keep charging me this, they keep charging me that, I ain’t got nothing to do with that, sir,” McCluster said.

Judge McBride responded saying it was not the time to litigate the question of guilt or innocence. McCluster’s family spoke to News 3 at the original arraignment hearing on April 25. They tell News 3 they believe McCluster is innocent; however, Director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation Vic Reynolds says his office feels strongly about the evidence in this case.

If we did not believe very strongly in the evidence of this case, particularly one that’s 40 years old, we wouldn’t have made the case. We worked hand in hand with the prosecuting agency of Chattahoochee County, I believe, I’m not speaking for them, but I can tell you in our working with them, they feel strongly about the strength of the case as well. “

GBI Investigators say Blackmore disappeared after leaving the barracks on Fort Benning on the night of April 29, 1982. Her remains were found two months later on an access road in Chattahoochee County.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
111coffeequeen111
Back