Results from Genealogy DNA testing are in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it a secret or what is the user id? I don't see it using the FTdna id. Were there other names besides Powell where there was a match?
For example my brothers' does not match with anyone with any variation of our family name, but we do have matches with 2 other names. So if i look at ysearch I would like to see what names come up now or in the future.
When you open the page up, at the top it has "Alphabetical list of last Names", click on this, and then click on the "P", scroll down to "powell", this will open the page with all the kits. Scroll down to "last name Kyle", and this is his kit. Click on the letters to the left, and open up his profile. It is the same numbers from FTDNA project, and compared against others as before, just a bit confusing on this one to me. You can compare his kit with other kits, but as for userID, that is his and NB's to use.

When you open the page up, at the top it has "Alphabetical list of last Names", click on this, and then click on the "P", scroll down to "powell", this will open the page with all the kits. Scroll down to "last name Kyle", and this is his kit. Click on the letters to the left, and open up his profile. It is the same numbers from FTDNA project, and compared against others as before, just a bit confusing on this one to me. You can compare his kit with other kits, but as for userID, that is his and NB's to use.

Ok, found it. Thanks.
You have to get the userid in order to compare to names other than the one used or it's variants.
I see why Powell is so strong of a possibility, but in reality there are others with genetic distance of 0 that had 21 markers (Illieles?) or even one with 24 and 1 distance, so Powell is not necessarily the end all. Of course I am not an expert this is just my understanding.
Other last names using a max genetic distance of 1, with 21 or more comparative markers are below:

smith, beddows, watkins, raber, telfer, etherton, barber, gray
Some of these if more markers were tested could still be zero genetic distance, it is only that the one powell line with zero distance has 25 markers that makes it the lead name thus far.

Personally, I think if Powell doesn't pan out especially, these others, particularly Raber (21 markers, zero distance) should be checked for a missing family member.

Perhaps I am reading these wrong, but has anyone been researching the Thomas A Powell family from KY that moved to Indiana? It appears Thomas married a Vera G Callis and moved from KY to Indiana. This is from the Powells in SOuth Carolina that shows the pedigree---with user ID KVN8N. It appears that these Powells are 26 markers compared. Am I doing a wild goose chase here? Should I look into this family further? I know Carolwood was researching the Joseph Powell family, but did not see anything about the Thomas A Powell family...

Ok guys, I found a Powell who recently died, from Evansville, IN who possibly could be related to the above Thomas A Powell family, AND who was Catholic. He came from a big family and was preceded in death by three brothers: Clarence Powell, and Randell and Scott Boling (interesting that their last names are different) and several sisters. Hopefully you will be able to go through the link, but if not, I will upload his photo. I think he looks similar to BK (I think they have similar eyes.) I am off to research the brothers....

http://www.ancestry.com/search/obit/view.aspx?db=web-obituary&kw=Powell+Thomas+A+&pid=21594236&url=http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll%3Frank%3d1%26new%3d1%26MSAV%3d0%26msT%3d1%26gss%3dangs-i%26gsfn%3dThomas%2bA%2b%26gsln%3dPowell%26msrpn%3d17%26msrpn__ftp%3dIndiana%252c%2bUSA%26_80018000%3dVera%26db%3dweb-obituary

Just in case you cannot see the link, here is what it says:

Frederick A. Powell, 71, of Evansville, passed away Monday, July 20, 2009, at St. Mary's Medical Center.

He retired from Whirlpool after more than thirty years of service. Fred was a member of Holy Rosary Catholic Church, and assisted with the soup kitchen at St. Johns Church Downtown. He was a veteran of the U.S. Army, and was an accomplished woodworker, making furniture and clocks, and he enjoyed traveling. Fred was a loving husband, father, and grandfather, who enjoyed spending time with his family.
Fred is survived by his wife of forty seven years, Sandra (Branch) Powell, of Evansville; son, Scott Powell and fiancee, Krista Chapman McFerren, of Carrollton, Mo.; daughter, Julie Powell Thomas of Newburgh, Ind.; grandchildren, Shelby and Shariden Powell, and Jarrett and Josh Thomas; sisters, Nelda Day, of Tell City, Ind., Dorothy Jennings, of New Albany, Ind., Marilyn Kenny, of Shepherdsville, Ky.; and brother Richard Boling, of New Albany, Ind.
He was preceded in death by his parents, Frederick and Nellie Powell; brothers, Clarence Powell, and Randell and Scott Boling; sisters, Stella Vega, Vine Rodermond, Pearl Mils, Christeen Hobbs, Eva May Days, Evelyn Wittmer and Gaile Marie Powell.
Services will be Thursday, July 23, 2009, at 10 a.m. at Holy Rosary Catholic Church, 1301 S. Green River Rd., with Father Bernie Etienne officiating.
Visitation will be held today, July 22, 2009, from 2 to 8 p.m. at Ziemer Funeral Home East Chapel, 800 S. Hebron Ave., Evansville, IN, with a Memorial Service at 7 p.m. Visitation will continue on Thursday from 9:30 to 10 a.m. at the church.
Entombment will be in St. Joseph Mausoleum.
Memorial contributions may be made to the American Lung Association, 115 West Washington Street Suite 1180-South, Indianapolis, IN 46204.
The family would like to thank Fred's close friends for their help and support.
Condolences may be made to the family online at www.ziemerfuneralhome.com.

Attachments

• bk Thomas Powell compare.pdf
    90.2 KB · Views: 9
Ok, found it. Thanks.
You have to get the userid in order to compare to names other than the one used or it's variants.
I see why Powell is so strong of a possibility, but in reality there are others with genetic distance of 0 that had 21 markers (Illieles?) or even one with 24 and 1 distance, so Powell is not necessarily the end all. Of course I am not an expert this is just my understanding.
Other last names using a max genetic distance of 1, with 21 or more comparative markers are below:

smith, beddows, watkins, raber, telfer, etherton, barber, gray
Some of these if more markers were tested could still be zero genetic distance, it is only that the one powell line with zero distance has 25 markers that makes it the lead name thus far.

Personally, I think if Powell doesn't pan out especially, these others, particularly Raber (21 markers, zero distance) should be checked for a missing family member.
Kit n48878 which is in FTDNA, has 31 of 31 markers matching, best yet, he is a Powell. In 37 markers, n48878 is 35/37 and in 63/67.(don't know if he is at ysearch, but I could ask)
But if there was a mutation within 500 years, could be possible he is not a Powell.

Perhaps I am reading these wrong, but has anyone been researching the Thomas A Powell family from KY that moved to Indiana? It appears Thomas married a Vera G Callis and moved from KY to Indiana. This is from the Powells in SOuth Carolina that shows the pedigree---with user ID KVN8N. It appears that these Powells are 26 markers compared. Am I doing a wild goose chase here? Should I look into this family further? I know Carolwood was researching the Joseph Powell family, but did not see anything about the Thomas A Powell family...
Sounds familiar, but will check to see if they are in my files.

Yes, I do have Thomas A. Powell, but don't have the marriage yet, which I am sure it is this one, due to other family going to Indiana in this family.

Frederick Powell's mother was married prior to being married to his father, and that is where Richard (still living), Randell, Dorothy, and Scott come from (their fathers name was Scott too.) So they would not have Powell blood, just Clarence. Randell was born in 1925 or so. It appears Richard was born in 1928, and Frederick (whose obit is above) was born in approx. 1938. Still looking for info on Clarence, but I did find a Clarence James Powell born in Aug 1944.

Ok--I found Frederick's family tree--if you have ancestry.com, you can see it here:
http://trees.ancestry.com/tree/5920075/family?fpid=-352933090

Now that I see their family tree, it does not appear that they are directly related to the Thomas A Powell family. But, but, but, I did find a Powell family in IN that was Catholic!!

Clarence was born in 1900 and died in 1958, so this is certainly not BK, but Clarence did have two children (I do not know their names).

What do you think?
Harrison Powell, Left
Martha Powell Palmer, his daughter on right.
Martha moved from her home in Boonville, Indiana to Denver, Co.

side by h.powell, ben, m. powell.JPG

Ok--Back to Thomas A and Nannie Powell:

They had several children. As of the 1930 census, they had four children (?):
Thomas Powell35Alma Powell32Frances Powell16Charles Powell13Evon Powell11Lowell Powell4 3/12

Realistically either Frances or Charles could have had kids by 1948. Frances was born approx 1914 but is a woman, and Charles approx 1917. I did find a Charles Powell born in Aug 13, 1917 who died June 1975 in Indiana. and a Charles E Powell born May 1917 and died May 4, 2002 in Indiana. I do not know if he is the right Charles, however...

Wow is what I think!! Wow, wow, wow! Where is their family tree into?

Do you have data on them or do you want me to research?

Update:

Did you see that Martha's husband (ex) Kenneth Earl Palmer died in Denver, CO in 1984. (He was born 1925 in Missouri)!

What do you think?
Harrison Powell, Left
Martha Powell Palmer, his daughter on right.
Martha moved from her home in Boonville, Indiana to Denver, Co.

View attachment 7253

Ok--Back to Thomas A and Nannie Powell:

They had several children. As of the 1930 census, they had four children (?):
Thomas Powell35Alma Powell32Frances Powell16Charles Powell13Evon Powell11Lowell Powell4 3/12

Realistically either Frances or Charles could have had kids by 1948. Frances was born approx 1914 but is a woman, and Charles approx 1917. I did find a Charles Powell born in Aug 13, 1917 who died June 1975 in Indiana. and a Charles E Powell born May 1917 and died May 4, 2002 in Indiana. I do not know if he is the right Charles, however...
This is the family I have, now that you list the children. Lowell just passed a couple of months ago. The relation to this family is further back than Thomas and Alma. And by the way Alma was a Powell also.

Wow is what I think!! Wow, wow, wow! Where is their family tree into?

Do you have data on them or do you want me to research?

Update:

Did you see that Martha's husband (ex) Kenneth Earl Palmer died in Denver, CO in 1984. (He was born 1925 in Missouri)!

They are listed on the web. I have them already in Family Tree Maker file and can send it to you via email or pm, if you'd like to help with all the names and gathering info on this family. If you have FTM, let me know, if not, I'll just copy and paste in word for you.

I do not think I have FTM. Just go ahead and copy and paste.

So that I am understanding this correctly, according to the Ysearch database, these two Powell families are the closest dna connection found so far, is that correct? 25 marker connection? How many total markers are there? I did notice Alma was a Powell too, but if I go back to what I found, it was confusing, almost as if she was adopted or something. I think her birth fathers name was different, but I will go back and look. This DNA stuff is so confusing....does anyone have DNA testing for dummies?? Are there more DNA databases that we could get BK into?

Carolwood--how do I get into the family tree dna database to look for BK? By test kit nbr? Ah--nevermind, I think I figured it out...being lazy.

O/T: I really think I am going to do the DNA testing soon, what an interesting way to look for your family tree, especially if you are adopted. I have found all my natural family, but it would still be neat to find other family tree members.

They are listed on the web. I have them already in Family Tree Maker file and can send it to you via email or pm, if you'd like to help with all the names and gathering info on this family. If you have FTM, let me know, if not, I'll just copy and paste in word for you.

Ok. so do you think this is a viable lead? The move to CO intrigues me.
This is the family I have, now that you list the children. Lowell just passed a couple of months ago. The relation to this family is further back than Thomas and Alma. And by the way Alma was a Powell also.

Ok. so do you think this is a viable lead? The move to CO intrigues me.

I do think this is a lead, but not Thomas and Alma Powells children. Maybe one of his brothers or uncles though. But, I would look at his uncles with are:
(Lovely would be Thomas Powell's grandfather)
(Thomas's father was Larkin Powell)

Descendants of Lovely Abraham Powell

1 Lovely Abraham Powell 1790-1791 - Abt. 1874
.. +Sarah Sally Allen 1794-1795 - Bef. 1850
......... 2 [1] John Powell 1812 - 1860
............. +Elizabeth Unknown 1823 -
......... *2nd Wife of [1] John Powell:
............. +Elander Abney Aft. 1812 -
......... 2 Cleveland Powell 1813 - Bef. 1880
............. +Malinda Abner 1815 -
......... 2 [2] Nancy Ann Powell 1815 - 1857
............. +Lewis Logsdon
......... *2nd Husband of [2] Nancy Ann Powell:
............. +Madad Skinner Abt. 1810 -
......... 2 [3] Catherine Powell 1816 - 1901
............. +John Powell 1810 - 1840
......... *2nd Husband of [3] Catherine Powell:
............. +George W. Rogers
......... 2 Susan Jane Powell 1820 -
............. +Oliver Perry Jackson
......... 2 [4] Abram "Ambrose" Powell 1822 -
............. +Leander Dale 1826 -
......... *2nd Wife of [4] Abram "Ambrose" Powell:
............. +Hester A. Unknown 1842 -
......... 2 Emanuel Powell 1825-1826 - Aft. 1900
............. +Susan Willis 1828 - Abt. 1901
......... 2 [5] Larkin A. Powell 1825-1829 -
............. +Rhoda A. Unknown 1823-1825 -
......... *2nd Wife of [5] Larkin A. Powell:
............. +Sarah E. Williams 1847 -
......... *3rd Wife of [5] Larkin A. Powell:
............. +Sarah Coyle 1862 -
......... 2 Sarah Sally Powell 1829 -
............. +Bartlett Rogers 1822 - 1912
......... 2 Lucinda Powell 1830-1832 -
............. +Felix Rogers
......... 2 [6] George Washington Powell 1830-1833 - 1915
............. +Polly Ann Rose 1833 - Abt. 1854
......... *2nd Wife of [6] George Washington Powell:
............. +Lucinda Willis 1840 - 1889
......... *3rd Wife of [6] George Washington Powell:
............. +Annie May Golden Carr 1869 - 1939
......... 2 [7] Hudson Jasper Powell 1836 - 1918
............. +Elizabeth Williams Durham 1835 - 1913
......... *2nd Wife of [7] Hudson Jasper Powell:
............. +Nancy Frances Harrison 1832 -
......... 2 [8] Calvin Powell 1836-1837 - 1921
............. +Emily Unknown
......... *2nd Wife of [8] Calvin Powell:
............. +Marium Willis
......... *3rd Wife of [8] Calvin Powell:
............. +Rosanna Rogers 1835-1836 -

Sorry had to split this up, cont:

With that said, I would be looking at Lovely and his brothers, and Lovely's children. Lovely is said to be born in South Carolina or Georgia.
I haven't found proof of Lovely's parents.

Harrison Powell's father was William.
William's father, Uriah.
Uriah father, is Ezekiel Powell, born in GA. according to the files. It is very possible that Ezekiel and Lovely are related. Ezekiel was in KY in the at sometime, and his wife Hannah was born in KY.(Lovely raised his children and died in KY)

Also, these are very large families. If you would like to help, I could give you a name to work with and you could find that line to present along with dates. Once we have the present names of all these people, then we can go back and look at dates and compare them to BK. Just let me know, I can send you my file and we could work from there, adding all the children, children's children and so forth.
I have alot of info on both Lovely and Ezekiel's families, just not complete and mostly checking sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oceandreamer753