Retrial for Sentencing of Jodi Arias - Day 6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stupid. By going to these lengths to be anonymous, this witness has only ensured that INVESTIGATIVE reporters and God knows who else are insanely curious, indignant that the 1st Amendment was thwarted and someone will find out who they are. He/She made this a much bigger thing than it would have been had they just testified. They would have been talked about for one day and then reporters would have been all about the next day and next witness.

I don't really think it is the Bishop. I would think members of clergy have testified in court cases and know how to answer questions without overstepping whatever "rules of confidentiality" they may have. So why would there be a need for secrecy from him?

LDS churches do not have Pastors or "clergy" like other churches I have attended - rather the Bishop is one of the laypeople (Member in good standing) who has been "called" to act in this role for a period of time. The Bishop is not a "professional" clergy (for lack of a better description).

So far the only theories that make sense are (1) out-of-country witness who therefore cannot be forced to participate and who will testify by phone/Skype but only under their conditions, (2) child witness testifying about something horrible, (3) witness testifying about something horrible involving a child and release of witness's name would make finding out name of child super-easy.

I'm hoping for #1.

Or Snow White

It will not surprise me 1 bit if the defense adds this as 1 of their items to appeal this case. Nurmi knows he has the judge wrapped around his finger based on her rulings and he is doing everything in his power to get her to agree to something illegal like today.

He will appeal and say 1 of the witnesses (his own) did not get to testify in open court like all the other witnesses had to.

Along those lines, lets watch each remaining defense witness ask for this special privlege and if they get denied, then they will appeal because the judge let 1 , so why not others.

I am sickened.

So far the only theories that make sense are (1) out-of-country witness who therefore cannot be forced to participate and who will testify by phone/Skype but only under their conditions, (2) child witness testifying about something horrible, (3) witness testifying about something horrible involving a child and release of witness's name would make finding out name of child super-easy.

I'm hoping for #1.

Thank You! There aren't too many other loopholes are there?

snipped snippets:
WOW ...

Here are some snippets from AZ Central :

A new low: judge locks public out of Jodi Arias trial

This, despite state law and court rules that say she couldn't do what she did.

More at Link: http://www.azcentral.com/story/laur...dge-locks-public-out-of-arias-trial/18201641/

Wow indeed. I started the day out being all happy that my Giants won another World Series for me. Now I'm mad. I had been trying so hard to give this judge the benefit of the doubt.

Are there higher-ups who could yank her if she keeps steering this ship toward the rocks?

I'm hoping for #1.

If the defense is trying to manufacture evidence regarding the pedo claims against Travis it could royally backfire with the Judge. Not to mention be the most disgusting thing to do ...

ETA: not that there is any evidence that's what they are trying to do everything is conjecture at this point ....

Did Matt live in Costa Rica or something. Did someone mention that? I dunno. I give. I am exhausted with guessing. I am gonna go binge on The Office reruns for a while...

tumblr_mk4d59F6xm1s9ney2o1_500.gif

I'm hoping for #1.

But why keep his identity secret?? :banghead:

Not frustrated with you, Hope. Just the situation. :)

Hi AZlawyer, I am very appreciative that you share your knowledge with us. It is so helpful in my attempt to gain a better understanding of how trial law works.

I feel I have to ask this and I do so with all due respect: Is it possible that you are attributing to Judge Stephens reasoning and logic that you know to be ethically and professionally rational/sound practices, while she may very well not ascribe to these same rationales (for whatever reason), hence the confusion you are experiencing as to why the Judge would conceal the witness's identity. Or simply put, perhaps she does not uphold the same values and practices you would expect from a Judge, thus you cannot agree with the witnesses members have suggested thus far? TIA

Here is a tweet I just found strange:

zeeksmama ‏@zeeksmama 2h2 hours ago Missouri, US

Who the hell is VERNON PARKER?? anyone know? #JodiArias

Possum ‏@Ladypossum 2h2 hours ago

@zeeksmama Parker was the bishop in Travis' ward

There's a Vernon Parker who's a politician in AZ. Used to be mayor of Paradise, apparently.

Wasn't there some friend that was supposed to testify for her in the first trial who bailed out of fear?

Patty Womack. She was the one nodding off in the courtroom. She went on to have her fifteen minutes of fame going on talk shows and telling about her and Jodi's friendship. Juan was ready if they did put her on the stand. He was going to bring up her and Jodi's drug history,that she had a record, and was defrauding the State Of California because she had been paid for interviews and was collecting welfare.

My concern, is the weight the jury will give to this secret witness. To have their testimony be in secret, clear a courtroom, IMO will give more weight to whatever they might spew. They are being given special treatment and this won't go unnoticed by the jury. IMO-they will take their garbage as factual because of the closed door. Even if they don't believe the witness 100%, the preferential treatment they are being shown won't go unnoticed by the jury. These antics, and the judge allowing this, are a huge blow to our justice system. JMO

Yes, but then there's Juan.

If the defense is trying to manufacture evidence regarding the pedo claims against Travis it could royally backfire with the Judge. Not to mention be the most disgusting thing to do ...

ETA: not that there is any evidence that's what they are trying to do everything is conjecture at this point ....

Of those 3 options it has to be number one and Skype. I have absolutely no doubt at all about those wicked lies. Travis never harmed a child .

I think we should stop bringing up the possibility of a child witness. There isn't one.

Hi AZlawyer, I am very appreciative that you share your knowledge with us. It is so helpful in my attempt to gain a better understanding of how trial law works.

I feel I have to ask this and I do so with all due respect: Is it possible that you are attributing to Judge Stephens reasoning and logic that you know to be ethically and professionally rational/sound practices, while she may very well not ascribe to these same rationales (for whatever reason), hence the confusion you are experiencing as to why the Judge would conceal the witness's identity. Or simply put, perhaps she does not uphold the same values and practices you would expect from a Judge, thus you cannot agree with the witnesses members have suggested thus far? TIA

This has to be one of the most polite posts I've ever seen on a message board. :bowdown:

LDS churches do not have Pastors or "clergy" like other churches I have attended - rather the Bishop is one of the laypeople (Member in good standing) who has been "called" to act in this role for a period of time. The Bishop is not a "professional" clergy (for lack of a better description).

That is correct. Everyone in the church from the bishop to the prophet is a layperson. No one in the Mormon church gets paid for their services.

Patty Womack. She was the one nodding off in the courtroom. She went on to have her fifteen minutes of fame going on talk shows and telling about her and Jodi's friendship. Juan was ready if they did put her on the stand. He was going to bring up her and Jodi's drug history,that she had a record, and was defrauding the State Of California because she had been paid for interviews and was collecting welfare.

I've always wondered if JVM paid her for the pictures of her and JA in her book.

Administration of Justice....WTH does this mean????

Yes, and justice for whom? Sure, CMJA is entitled to her day in court, and Travis is more than entitled to justice! As are his family. Six years and counting.

I'm outta here too. I hope to hear tomorrow that the AZ Court of Appeals gave JSS the whatfer and the doors will be forced open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member