Homicide: Aderson, Richard
Homicide Victim: Aderson, Richard

Basic Information
Race:
White
Sex: Male
Additional Information
Miscellaneous:
  • On February 5, 1997 at about 6:00 p.m. on the eastbound side of I-84, about 1/5 of a mile west of exit 12 (about 4 miles east of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge eastbound toll barrier) in Dutchess County, NY. Aderson apparently was involved in an accident with the suspect's vehicle, from which an argument ensued and Aderson was shot in the chest.
  • After the shooting, the suspect left the scene and headed eastbound on Interstate 84.
Victim Richard Aderson's Vehicle
getphoto.aspx
The gray 1995, four-door, Volvo sedan Aderson was driving at the time of the accident that resulted in his being shot to death.
getphoto.aspx
Suspect's Description
Race: White
Complexion: medium
Height: About 6', very thin
Hair: Balding or receding hairline
Other: Thin nose, wears glasses
May have a beard
Unkempt/messy
Vehicle: Make: Late model Jeep Cherokee-type, sport utility vehicle
Color: Possibly green
License: New Hampshire

20 years later: I-84 killing remains unsolved

B9326073298Z.1_20170204171946_000_G01HA4V8T.1-0.jpg

• "Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Wappinger by calling 845-677-7300.
  • Please refer to SJS # 3021797. All calls may be kept confidential.

Richard Aderson did not attend his son’s high school graduation. Or his graduation from college.

Come spring, he will not witness the birth of his son’s son, or hold the child in his arms.

“My little baby boy is due in May. I’m sure he would have been ecstatic to be a grandfather. Especially to a little boy,” said Dave Aderson, Richard’s youngest child and only son.

This series of lost moments began 20 years ago today, when Richard Aderson did not return to his LaGrange home after work.

In a horrific event that sent shock waves through Dutchess County, Richard Aderson was shot and killed in Fishkill following a minor car accident on I-84.

Calling 911 in his final minutes to describe the gunman, Richard Aderson helped launch an investigation two decades in the making. With over 3,000 leads investigated by state police, the search continues for the man who took the life of a 47-year-old assistant superintendent for the Valley Central School District, leaving behind a wife and three children."

The sketch

B9326073298Z.1_20170204171946_000_G85HA4V8B.1-0.jpg

"Sketch of suspect in the Richard Aderson murder case. (Photo: courtesy photo)

According to state police, the suspect was described as being a white male with a “medium complexion” in his late 40s to 50s, 6 feet tall, with a thin build. He was said to have a receding hairline and a thin nose, and was wearing aviator-type eye glasses.

In the days following the murder, a sketch artist worked with witnesses to create a picture of the mysterious killer"

New Hampshire unsolved case file: Road rage killing of Richard Aderson

Richard Aderson, 47, was shot and killed about 6 p.m. on Feb. 5, 1997 on Interstate 84 in Fishkill, New York. The killing happened about one-fifth of a mile west of Exit 12 and four miles east of the Newburg-Beach Bridge eastbound toll barrier in Duchess County, New York.

Aderson was driving a gray 1995 four-door Volvo sedan when he was involved in a crash with another vehicle, which led to an argument between Aderson and an unknown man, according to New York State Police.

One of the benefits of the Aderson case is that it received unprecedented media attention because "road rage" had become a national sensation. Both America's Most Wanted and Unsolved Mysteries featured the shooting death on their series. In short, a minor collision between the victim and unknown white male resulted in a verbal dispute, which quickly escalated to the shooting death of Aderson. Before he died, Richard called 911 and provided the operator with the suspect's description, the vehicle's make and model and even identified the New Hampshire license plates. One of the strange twists in this case is that a Manchester law firm, now known as McLane and Middleton, made inquiries into the case some months after the murder and, apparently, hid behind the attorney-client privilege. While I am still searching for the original 1997 article from NH's Union Leader, this screenshot of the periodical even identifies the involved attorney.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    258.6 KB · Views: 14
20 years later: I-84 killing remains unsolved

B9326073298Z.1_20170204171946_000_G01HA4V8T.1-0.jpg

• "Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Wappinger by calling 845-677-7300.
  • Please refer to SJS # 3021797. All calls may be kept confidential.

Richard Aderson did not attend his son’s high school graduation. Or his graduation from college.

Come spring, he will not witness the birth of his son’s son, or hold the child in his arms.

“My little baby boy is due in May. I’m sure he would have been ecstatic to be a grandfather. Especially to a little boy,” said Dave Aderson, Richard’s youngest child and only son.

This series of lost moments began 20 years ago today, when Richard Aderson did not return to his LaGrange home after work.

In a horrific event that sent shock waves through Dutchess County, Richard Aderson was shot and killed in Fishkill following a minor car accident on I-84.

Calling 911 in his final minutes to describe the gunman, Richard Aderson helped launch an investigation two decades in the making. With over 3,000 leads investigated by state police, the search continues for the man who took the life of a 47-year-old assistant superintendent for the Valley Central School District, leaving behind a wife and three children."

The sketch

B9326073298Z.1_20170204171946_000_G85HA4V8B.1-0.jpg

"Sketch of suspect in the Richard Aderson murder case. (Photo: courtesy photo)

According to state police, the suspect was described as being a white male with a “medium complexion” in his late 40s to 50s, 6 feet tall, with a thin build. He was said to have a receding hairline and a thin nose, and was wearing aviator-type eye glasses.

In the days following the murder, a sketch artist worked with witnesses to create a picture of the mysterious killer"

Maybe some life to the case??

Cold case files: 7 more Upstate NY deaths and disappearances that went unsolved
adersonjpg-f3aea61e022e8ba5.jpg

1997 shooting of Richard Aderson
"New York State Police responded to Interstate 84 Richard H. Aderson called 911 reporting he'd been shot. He had been involved in a fender bender that escalated into a road rage incident. The perpetrator shot Aderson and fled in green Jeep Cherokee with New Hampshire plates.

The suspect was described as a white male, in his late 40s to 50, with a medium complexion, approximately 6’0 tall and had a thin build."

I am very close with Richard's middle daughter. His grey Volvo still sits in the driveway of the home he didn't get to come back to.

The rumor is the NYSP, NHSP and FBI all have a good idea of who did it and questioned him multiple times but they don't have any physical evidence to charge him. Both the green jeep and the murder weapon were never recovered and there was little physical evidence at the scene. He was known to frequent the car shows in Middletown NY. The I-84 corridor where Richard was shot would be on the suspect's way home to NH. He had a reputation at the shows of being a hot head. Its also believed that at the time of the murder he was a member of law enforcement, though the police wont say which department. While the 911 call still has not been released, its been reported that on the call Richard mentions that his attacker identified himself as a cop during the argument. 1 year after his murder a very prestigious law firm in New Hampshire was hired to make inquiries into the current status of the case. Due to client privilege, the identity of the person who hired them was not released.

Richard's 3rd grandchild was born a few years ago. He never got to see it.

Given the amount of time that's passed, we are rapidly running out of time to get this guy. Any info anyone may have is much appreciated.

Last edited:
I am very close with Richard's middle daughter. His grey Volvo still sits in his driveway to this day.

The rumor is the FBI knows who did it and questioned him multiple times but they don't have enough physical evidence to charge him. He was known to frequent the car shows in Middletown NY. The I-84 corridor where he was shot would be on his way home to NH. He had a reputation at the shows of being a hot head. Its also understood that at the time of the murder he was a member of New Hampshire law enforcement, though they wont say which department. While the 911 call still has not been released, on the call Richard mentions that his attacker identified himself as a cop during the argument.
1 year after his murder a very prestigious law firm in New Hampshire was hired to make inquiries into the case. Due to client privilege, the identity of the person who hired them was not released.

Given the amount of time that's passed, we are rapidly running out of time to get this guy. Any info anyone may have is much appreciated.
Welcome to Ws PMP_Gunslinger, thanks for the insightful post!
Many years ago, probably on the America's Most Wanted tv show, this case was highlighted and it really stuck with me- especially the portion of the 911 call where the dying Mr Aderson said something like, "I didn't deserve this".
My heart goes out to his family and still hoping that this case can and will be solved. imo.

Jul 14, 2020 rbbm.
New Hampshire unsolved case file: Road rage killing of Richard Aderson
''Aderson managed to call 911 to give police a description of the car and his shooter before he died, authorities said.

Police believe the shooter was driving a green 1997 Jeep Cherokee that may have had New Hampshire plates.

According to the police description at the time, the killer was white, estimated to be in his late 40s to around 50 with a medium complexion. He was described as about 6 feet tall with a very thin build and a thin nose.

Police said the shooter was balding or had a receding hairline, wore glasses and may have had a beard. He was also described as unkempt and messy.

If the shooter is alive today, he would be in his 60s or 70s, according to the 1997 suspect description.''

Can you help police solve this case? Submit a tip to New York State Police by calling 845-298-0398 or emailing nysvicap@troopers.ny.gov.

Cloey Callahan
Feb. 5, 2022
25 years since murder on I-84, cold case investigation continues (timesunion.com)
''New York State Police continue to actively investigate a homicide that happened 25 years ago this Saturday and has received over 3,000 leads since. The 1997 murder gained national attention as an example of road rage when it was featured on an episode of the TV crime show “Unsolved Mysteries” and “America’s Most Wanted.”

The victim, LaGrange resident Richard Aderson, 47, was an assistant superintendent for the Valley Central School District and left behind a wife and three children.''

''At approximately 6 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 5, 1997, state police were dispatched to Interstate 84 in the Town of Fishkill after Aderson called 911 reporting that he had been shot following a minor car accident. Aderson was traveling east on I-84 in a 1995 gray, four-door Volvo sedan when he told police he was involved in a fender bender four miles east of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge toll plaza.

Both vehicles pulled over to the side of the road by what is now Exit 44, and the drivers got into a verbal altercation that ended when the still unidentified perpetrator shot Aderson and then fled the scene. Aderson called for help and provided information about the suspect and vehicle before he succumbed to his injuries while being transported to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh.''

State Police continue to actively investigate cold case twenty-five years later | NYSP Newsroom
04 February 2022
''NEW YORK STATE POLICE
Major Kathryne M. Rohde
Troop K Commander
845-677-7300
PRESS RELEASE
Richard%20Aderson%20photo.jpg
Richard H. Aderson

New York State Police from the Wappinger barracks continue to investigate the homicide of Richard H. Aderson, age 47, of LaGrange, New York. Tomorrow marks the 25th anniversary of Mr. Aderson’s murder.
At approximately 6:00 p.m. on Wednesday, February 5, 1997, the New York State Police responded to Interstate 84, approximately 1/5 of a mile west of Exit 44 Route 52, formerly known as Exit 12, in the town of Fishkill, after the victim contacted 911 and reported that he had been shot.
Aderson, a former assistant superintendent for the Valley Central School District, was traveling east on I-84 in a gray, 1995, four-door Volvo sedan when he was involved in a fender bender, approximately 4 miles east of the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge toll plaza.

Both vehicles pulled over to the side of the roadway by Exit 12 in Fishkill and reportedly were involved in a verbal altercation. Aderson called Dutchess County 911 and reported that he had been shot by the perpetrator who had fled eastbound on I-84. He provided authorities with information about the suspect and the suspect’s vehicle before he succumbed to his injuries while being transported to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh.
The suspect was described as being a white male, in his late 40s to 50, with a medium complexion, approximately 6’0 tall and had a thin build. He was said to have a receding hair line, a thin nose, and was wearing aviator type eyeglasses. The suspect was operating a late model Jeep Cherokee (possibly 1997) that was believed to be green in color and may have had New Hampshire license plates.
Aderson’s death continues to be actively investigated by police. Over 3,000 leads have been followed throughout the investigation, which has taken members of law enforcement across New England.

Anyone with information regarding this investigation is asked to contact the New York State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation in Wappinger by calling (845) 677-7300. Please refer to case # 3021797. All calls may be kept confidential.

Richard_Aderson_homicide_suspect_sketch.jpg
Suspect sketch

richard%20aderson%E2%80%99s%20vehicle(2).jpg

10 Hudson Valley Mysteries That Remain Unsolved to This Day

A Road Rage Rube​

“Somebody knows what happened.’’

That’s what Joanne Leone, a senior investigator with the state police in Wappinger, told The Poughkeepsie Journal in 2002 — five years after the mysterious murder of Richard Aderson in Fishkill.

Aderson, an assistant superintendent in the Orange County school district of Valley Central, was shot dead on Feb. 5, 1997. He was driving to his home in LaGrange after work when he got into a fender-bender near the Newburgh-Beacon Bridge. The two cars pulled over onto the shoulder near Exit 12 on I-84 eastbound in Fishkill. Aderson and the other driver got into an argument. Aderson called 911, which recorded a gunshot. The shooter fled east on I-84. Aderson died en route to St. Luke’s Hospital in Newburgh. The 47-year-old left behind a wife and three young children.

According to The Journal, Aderson was able to describe his assailant and the car he was driving, a late-model green Jeep Cherokee-type vehicle, possibly with New Hampshire license plates. The New York State Police described the suspect as a white male, about six feet tall and then between 45 and 50 years old (making him 65 to 70 now). Despite this information, and even a segment on TV’s Unsolved Mysteries, no suspect has ever been found. This high profile case was one of the reasons that the following year, then-Governor George E. Pataki sent out “road rage vans” with the hope of curbing aggressive driving.

Anyone with information should contact the state police in Wappinger at 845-298-0398. ‘’We’re hoping someone will come forward with the information we need,” Leone said in 2002. “There’s someone this has got to be bothering.’’

Police believe the shooter was driving a green 1997 Jeep Cherokee that might have had New Hampshire plates.

According to the police description at the time, the killer was white, estimated to be in his late 40s to around 50 with a medium complexion. He was described as about 6 feet tall with a very thin build and a thin nose.

Police said the shooter was balding or had a receding hairline, wore glasses and may have had a beard. He was also described as unkempt and messy.

If the shooter is alive today, he would be in his 60s or 70s, according to the 1997 suspect description.

aderson suspect sketch

New York State Police
Sketch of the Richard Aderson homicide suspect

New York State Police confirmed to WMUR that they have worked with New Hampshire State Police during the investigation.

New York State Police said in 2022 that troopers have conducted interviews in the area of Amherst, New Hampshire, which led to additional positive investigative leads

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back