Robert Desmond
  • desmond_robert.jpg
Robert, circa 1964

• Missing Since08/01/1964
  • Missing FromKennebunk, Maine
  • ClassificationEndangered Missing
  • Age11 years
  • Height and Weight4'3, 70 pounds
  • Distinguishing CharacteristicsCaucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance
Robert was last seen in Kennebunk, Maine on August 1, 1964. He lived with his mother and stepfather on Hovey Street at the time of his disappearance. He has never been heard from again.

Shortly after his disappearance, Robert's parents moved out of the Hovey Street house. The basement floor was cemented over in 1968. In 1976, authorities dug up the cement floor, looking for his body, but the search turned up only a pair of eyeglasses and some animal bones. Few details are available in Robert's case.
Investigating Agency
Source Information
Updated 1 time since October 12, 2004. Last updated July 13, 2018; casefile added.

I have no clue and I think that his date of disappearance is an estimate so he probably vanished at some point in August of 1964.

This is from a 1976 news article, I think the one linked in the charley page
"Body of boy not in cellar KENNEBUNK, Maine (AP) Investigators have ended their month-long search of a Hovey Street cellar for the body of a young boy missing for a dozen years. Officials of the Maine attorney general's office said they were confident that the body of Robert Desmond was not there. "As far as that boy being in the cellar that part is said Assistant Atty. Gen. Arthur Stilphen, "but the ease is still open otherwise." Excavation of the cellar was completed over the weekend, and Stilphen said plans were being made to repour the concrete floor later this week. He estimated the cost of the project at between and The Desmond case is one of a dozen unsolved homicides or disappearances still pending in Maine. The case was reopened based on new leads. "We were following what we thought was a reasonable lead sometimes they pan out, sometimes they Stilphen said. The boy disappeared in August 1964, about the time his mother and stepfather moved to Kittery. Stilphen said it was possible, but not probable, that the boy was still alive"

It sounds like they moved and but maybe showed up at the new place without him?
This was from the text part ofnewspapers.com so it's got some typos

Roberts case has almost no details avaible and I think his date of disappearance is an estimate. I could be wrong but yeah.

The article said they were acting on leads when they dug up the cellar. Maybe friends or extended family inquired about him, and when he wasn't in their care, they got suspicious. The way its worded, it sounds like they may not have even reported him missing, someone else might have.

The article said they were acting on leads when they dug up the cellar. Maybe friends or extended family inquired about him, and when he wasn't in their care, they got suspicious. The way its worded, it sounds like they may not have even reported him missing, someone else might have.
Yeah it all sounds suspicious.

Yesterday was my first introduction to this case, and this is the page on the Maine State website that I came across. The bold italicized part intrigued me and I don't see it mentioned in this thread.

Desmond, Robert
Case date: 1964

Town: Kennebunk

Robert Desmond, 11, went missing from the family home in Kennebunk in August of 1964. His parents did not report him missing. Investigative efforts have not produced his whereabouts.

Contact: Maine State Police, Major Crimes Unit-South, One Game Farm Rd, Gray, ME. 04039 1-800-228-0857 (In State); (207)624-7076 (Out of State); (207)657-5748 (Fax)

You may also report information about this crime using the leave a tip form.

If she's alive, have they tried knocking on her door and asking her for me details, because it doesn't really sound like they have, due to the lack of info.
Maybe they tried asking her but she refused to answer or maybe she has Alzheimer’s or Dementia and can’t remember anything from the time of Roberts disappearance. I’d be very surprised if they haven’t tried to ask her. It sounds like someone in his family was involved in the case.

Robert Leon Desmond
desmond_robert.jpg
desmond_robert_ap.jpg

Robert at age 10, circa 1964 and (right) Age progressed.

• Missing Since 08/01/1964
  • Missing From Kennebunk, Maine
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Male
  • Race White
  • Date of Birth 08/21/1953 (67)
  • Age 10 years
  • Height and Weight 4'3, 70 pounds
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Black hair, brown eyes.
Details of Disappearance

Robert was last seen in Kennebunk, Maine on August 1, 1964. He lived with his mother and stepfather on Hovey Street at the time of his disappearance. He has never been heard from again.

Shortly after his disappearance, Robert's parents moved out of the Hovey Street house. The basement floor was cemented over in 1968. In 1976, authorities dug up the cement floor, looking for his body, but the search turned up only a pair of eyeglasses and some animal bones. Few details are available in Robert's case.

Investigating Agency
  • Kennebunk Police Department 207-604-1319
  • Maine State Police 207-657-3030
Source Information

Married January 1964

Name: Alice R Marden
Spouse's Name: Chester M Marden
Spouse's Gender: Male
Marriage Date: 1 Jan 1964
Marriage Place: Maine, USA
Certificate: 330

Interesting possible connection between Marden and Desmond name. From 1952