Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #7

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I know :)
a smartphone sends information about its IMEI number and the SIM card placed in it to the nearest towers with GSM transmitters.
When a signal is sent to three nearby towers, the location of its source can be determined.

It happens b/c there is a battery inside that supports some systems that need electricity so that they don't hang up.
And the phone, even turned off (via the button) but with the battery inserted sends a signal to a nearby antenna.

JMO
But is that from research or does a person with a phone know whether their phone has communicated with a tower or not at a given time? I think the person I was replying to was somebody else, and she said she didn't know about Apple but that her Android phone pinged when it was switched off. Like it was something that was evident from the phone itself.

Out of curiosity - for anyone who has followed trials in the past, have they ever mentioned an accused's prior record? Or is the law in general that you aren't allowed to discuss other crimes? Are there exceptions to this rule?

It's worrying to me that if there's not enough evidence to convict a case the killer walks free even though they have a string of other offences that clearly indicate their pattern of behaviour :(

But is that from research or does a person with a phone know whether their phone has communicated with a tower or not at a given time? I think the person I was replying to was somebody else, and she said she didn't know about Apple but that her Android phone pinged when it was switched off. Like it was something that was evident from the phone itself.
It was me.
I understand that a smartphone, even when turned off, but with a working battery still sends signals to towers it passes.

JMO

I think the reason why MSM does not publish anything at all about previous convictions (if any) or arrests (if any) while a defendant is waiting for trial is due to sub judice.

imo
So you think the highway patrol case is the same person but not directly related to the investigation re Sam. In which case the other one might also be the same person but we definitely can't talk about it.

Out of curiosity - for anyone who has followed trials in the past, have they ever mentioned an accused's prior record? Or is the law in general that you aren't allowed to discuss other crimes? Are there exceptions to this rule?

It's worrying to me that if there's not enough evidence to convict a case the killer walks free even though they have a string of other offences that clearly indicate their pattern of behaviour :(

Regarding search dogs, just wondering if anyone is able to access this paywalled article.

Edit. Sorry couldnt get link working
Deadline: The Australian policing blindspot in searches for missing people

"What if a trained tracker dog is given Samantha Murphy’s scent before the trail is hopelessly compromised, and the hound follows it from her home to the point where it stops? Sadly, in Victoria this isn’t a reality."

Last edited:
It was me.
I understand that a smartphone, even when turned off, but with a working battery still sends signals to towers it passes.

JMO
I thought they couldn't. I haven't gone far into it, but for example see here:

<modsnip:: Quoted post was removed due to no links to support>

Apple phones can be tracked for 24 hours after being turned off so long as you have the "find my phone" Feature enabled. Not sure what models, but I posted a video demonstrating the feature on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: Quoted post was removed>

I still remember the interview with a Police officer who said that a perp turned off the phone when he was going to a certain place to commit murder and thought he was safe/untraceable.
But his phone still sent signals to the towers he passed.
Police were able to pinpoint his route.

Maybe LE has their methods?
I'm not a phones' expert though :)

JMO

Last edited by a moderator:
i wonder why some cases are treated more urgently and get more help and media publicity than others?

I personally was a little bit upset thinking, 'Oh my goodness, they've gotten all these resources and why didn't we get that and why didn't they believe me like that?'

"Samantha Murphy case, miner's death and bushfires

overwhelm residents of Ballarat.

• The Australian Institute for Disaster Resilience says the Ballarat community is facing emotional burnout after months of disaster and loss.
  • Bushfires, the alleged murder of Samantha Murphy and the death of a miner have rocked people of the city.
  • Residents are being urged to continue supporting each as they try to heal."

i wonder why some cases are treated more urgently and get more help and media publicity than others?

I personally was a little bit upset thinking, 'Oh my goodness, they've gotten all these resources and why didn't we get that and why didn't they believe me like that?'

A poster in the Jessica Zrinski thread explained this well if I can link it:

Regarding search dogs, just wondering if anyone is able to access this paywalled article.

Edit. Sorry couldnt get link working
Deadline: The Australian policing blindspot in searches for missing people

"What if a trained tracker dog is given Samantha Murphy’s scent before the trail is hopelessly compromised, and the hound follows it from her home to the point where it stops? Sadly, in Victoria this isn’t a reality."
I can access the article and it doesn't really say much, just quotes a few cases where these dogs might have come in handy to speed up the process and get answers quicker.

The same concerns lawyers taking part in "spotlight" trials.

It is believed that such cases are an honor for a lawyer.
The fact that someone's name becomes known is certainly very important in the case of a profession based on recommendations.

However,
few people realize what enormous stress accompanies such media scrutiny.
Stress of judges, prosecutors and defence lawyers.

In the age of the media,
public opinion has an extremely important influence - trials don't happen in a vacuum.

I guess a trial in this case
(if it happens),
will be such a "spotlight" one.

JMO

Last edited:
I can access the article and it doesn't really say much, just quotes a few cases where these dogs might have come in handy to speed up the process and get answers quicker.
Thank you! Does the article mention why the posibility of search dogs wasnt a "reality" in Victoria?
I have heard of search dogs being requested and flown in from other states for other cases, so wondering if the article explains why this may not have been done for SM?

Thank you! Does the article mention why the posibility of search dogs wasnt a "reality" in Victoria?
I have heard of search dogs being requested and flown in from other states for other cases, so wondering if the article explains why this may not have been done for SM?
No, this is as close at it gets:

"Australia’s Border Force breeds and trains world-class sniffer dogs to detect contraband. Australian army dog handlers train working dogs to detect bombs in war zones. Skilled volunteers breed and train scent-detection dogs and are happy to share the knowledge and the genetics for the greater good.

If there’s a good reason why seven state police forces and the Federal Police can’t organise a handful of hounds between them, it’s not obvious."

"Friday marks 40 days
since Samantha Murphy vanished
after she left her home at Eureka Street in Ballarat East at about 7am
on February 4 for a run in nearby Woowookrung Regional Park.

No trace
of the mother-of-three has ever been found,
despite Patrick Orren Stephenson, 22,
being charged with her murder eight days ago.

However,
Victoria Police told Daily Mail Australia on Friday afternoon that

'no search activity is immediately planned'."

I don't know what he said. or what he did. I am not a member of the investigation squad. I am merely an observer. VICPOL state categorically that he has said nothing to their investigation team. ......

Which leads to the inevitable conclusion that VICPOL have come to their conclusions based on evidence I know nothing about at this time, but it has to be hard , concrete, titanium stuff to declare a person not just dead, but murdered.

What that could be is anyone's guess, but as a starter, one could claim it is unarguable.. that the evidence they do have speaks for itself. Loudly, apparently.

Has he been silent with his barrister? I don't know. It's not illegal to ignore one's barrister, merely stupid. But he could be that way, indeed.
Hey Trooper, love your insight. When did VICPOL state categorically that the accused has said nothing to the investigative team. Obviously I have missed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member