Australia Samantha Murphy, 51, last seen leaving her property to go for a run in the Canadian State Forest, Ballarat 100km NW of Melbourne, 4 Feb 2024 #8

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2nd generation Apple watch has crash detection (if the user has enabled it). But presumably a person would have to be traveling as fast as a car for this to activate when a 'crash' happened. And Comm Patton has made it clear that they know Sam made her way on foot.

And, as we know, the Apple watch can have fall detection (if the user has enabled it).

I think the accused's vehicle has a roo bar (bull bar) on the front. Link

Maybe Sam's watch picked up a hard fall. And the police have a couple of options. Something happened to Sam at a certain point - in Mt Clear - and it could have been a hit by a person or a hit from a vehicle.

And maybe they think it was deliberate as Sam's heart rate escalated suddenly, then it fell as an incident happened. As if Sam could see something was going to happen, so presumably the perpetrator also knew something was going to happen.

I do not know how they work( will read through the link you provided), but would it measure the velocity of someone flying through the air, after being hit by something?

ETA I dont think it’s the crash detection feature as that calls emergency services. Could it be something else on the phone that has this kind of data?

Last edited:
I do not know how they work( will read through the link you provided), but would it measure the velocity of someone flying through the air, after being hit by something?

ETA I dont think it’s the crash detection feature as that calls emergency services. Could it be something else on the phone that has this kind of data?

Apparently, the crash detection can create false positives. For example (in this link) it has activated when skiers have crashed.

This feature works by detecting sudden changes in g-force, along with “Your speed change, combined with the impact force, combined with the pressure change, combined with the sound level.”

Last edited:
Commander Patton categorically ruled out 'hit and run'.. ... I presume he meant an accidental incident with the following deliberate action of fleeing the scene.

The Websleuther's problem is it is known what Samantha Murphy was doing that morning, she was jogging on a bush path, at Mt. Clear on that Sunday morning. This is what VICPOL have stated, that she is deceased, that she died at Mt.Clear, on that Sunday morning, and that the manner of her death was murder. That she and Mr.Stephenson intercepted at some point on that path and he , and no one else, murdered her.

What we don't know is what was Mr. Stephenson doing at Mt. Clear on that bush path on that Sunday morning, and why did he have murder in mind? what tools, if any , did he have handy? did he murder her bare handed? What has he done with her body? It is missing from Mt . Clear, and is still missing. It stands to reason that Mr. Stephenson removed the body from the bush path, and took it, where?

I keep thinking about the police requests all along for people to be on the look out for damaged vehicles - I wonder if PS took his vehicle to a repairer away from Ballarat. … but then how would he explain the absence of his Ute ?

Are kangaroos a problem on roads in that area ? If was in Qld regions it could easily be said he hit a roo.
Yes, I would imagine kangaroos would be an issue in any country area like the outskirts of Ballarat. They are an issue around here, especially in certain locations and I'm about 45 minutes away.

Apparently, the crash detection can create false positives. For example (in this link) it has activated when skiers have crashed.

This feature works by detecting sudden changes in g-force, along with “Your speed change, combined with the impact force, combined with the pressure change, combined with the sound level.”

Thanks! So, did I understand correctly? If you disable the crash detection all it disables is making the call to emergency services? The phone or watch will still record that information but will not make the emergency call?

The accused's vehicle would have to be used, unless he put her over his shoulder and ran with her

Hair is very hard to get rid of inside a car, it sticks

Saliva as well is hard to see, then you have blood

I just hope there is some good news this week and the police find poor SM

And some more important info coming in

I think about her lying out there somewhere all this time by herself in the elements

Did she suffer ? Was she abused ?

Horrible for a lady to just want to go out and enjoy herself, probably wanted some peace and quiet after a busy work week, keeping fit and going for a quick run,
and then she was going to enjoy the rest of the day with her family
But this dreadful situation happens to her, and It's still unfolding.
Unfairly taken away !
Nifty, we have seen time and again in murders what magic is discovered in cars through DNA/pathology. However if someone is strangled, is there blood? Surely there would be saliva and hair and other particles, but i'm not sure about blood.

Victoria does have no body, no parole. However it seems states having varying wording on this. Like if they cooperated, do they complete their full sentence, or never get released.
This article lists the various NB,NP of the States that have this legislation.

Vector.svg

Criminal Defence Lawyers Australia

'Chris Dawson ‘No Body, No Parole’ Laws in Australia​

02/09/2022'

Article author: Criminal Defence Lawyers Australia

Excerpt:
'In contrast, other States and Territories such as Queensland, South Australia and Victoria have no body no parole laws effectively refusing parole to offenders who fail to disclose the remains of the victim’s body.'

I have complied with the rules of copyright of WS by providing the title of the article and the author and providing a link which is not paywalled.
Single quotation marks.
Thank you

Nifty, we have seen time and again in murders what magic is discovered in cars through DNA/pathology. However if someone is strangled, is there blood? Surely there would be saliva and hair and other particles, but i'm not sure about blood.

If he used his hands, you can get DNA through his fingernails, sometimes you can get finger contusions from the accused, sometime you can get DNA of the accused from the neck, plus some blood from mouth/ tongue, neck internally injuries

But as SM body still hasn't been found, it might be hard

then if a belt or something else is used, it would produce bruising / abrasion or cutting formation to the skin, which will produce release of skin cells and droplets of blood

Interesting the police were watching him 24/7 for two weeks after the murder of SM

I would be amazed if police let him wash and vacuum his car

Otherwise, the police would have swooped on him then, knowing there was DNA in there

He might have had a blanket, tarpaulin set up in the back to place SM

A possibility she was unconscious, (still alive) when she left that area

Interesting the police were watching him 24/7 for two weeks after the murder of SM.
It is very interesting they had Stephenson in their sights so early on and the obvious question is why?

I must admit, once it was announced the police had a 22 year old male for the murder of a 51 years old lady, I came up with all sorts of theories. Particularly when I heard the victim had a daughter of about the same age as the killer. But I doubt any of my theories are going to proved correct.

If he used his hands, you can get DNA through his fingernails, sometimes you can get finger contusions from the accused, sometime you can get DNA of the accused from the neck, plus some blood from mouth/ tongue, neck internally injuries

then if a belt or something else is used, it would produce bruising / abrasion or cutting formation to the skin, which will produce release of skin cells and droplets of blood

Interesting the police were watching him 24/7 for two weeks after the murder of SM

Otherwise, the police would have swooped on him then, knowing there was DNA in there

Police were not tracking the accused for 2 weeks from the date of Samantha's disappearance. She disappeared on Feb 4, and he was arrested on Mar 6, a total of 4 1/2 weeks afterwards. Police were tracking him for 2 weeks prior to the arrest, leaving about 2 1/2 weeks after the event for the accused to have disposed of a body and other items, washed his car, gotten car repairs etc. The article below shows the timeline:

This article states that the belief is police were tracking the accused for 2 weeks prior to his arrest:

Last edited:
It is very interesting they had Stephenson in their sights so early on and the obvious question is why?

I must admit, once it was announced the police had a 22 year old male for the murder of a 51 years old lady, I came up with all sorts of theories. Particularly when I heard the victim had a daughter of about the same age as the killer. But I doubt any of my theories are going to proved correct.
bolded by me, for emphasis..

He has made a monumental error. One of those colossal mistakes that say, 'here I am, come and get me'.. something visual that says to VICPOL, 'this is Mrs.Murphy, deceased, here at Mt Clear, Sunday morning, murdered by this bloke, oh, ,it's Mr Stephenson, from Scotsburn, well, well, well. '......

That kind of level of error.

Possibly all cleaned up prior to becoming a LE person of interest .

Uumm - I’m not so sure.

I think there’s pressure for an overhaul of our sentencing /punishments / deterrents, which don’t seem to be working, given the increased crime rates across all levels.

It seems that life has now become so cheap & so disposable for many … someone annoys you, someone refuses you, your wife wants a life, your wife wants a divorce, someone muscles in on your crime patch etc. etc. - the solution now is to murder them !
That mentally cannot be allowed to continue its growing curse on our society.

Imo it’s way past time for genuine accountability.

I’m an advocate for improvement. I’d like to see the figures on ‘rehabilitated’ v ‘reoffenders’ who pass through our jails, from juvenile > adult. And I’d like to see the $ cost of these ‘reoffenders’, I’d like to see their rehab program and the consequences of non-participation.

I’m also an advocate for change, and I would bring in the death sentence where there is no doubt.
eg. murders of Sian Kingi Murder of Sian Kingi - Wikipedia
and Daniel Morcombe Brett Peter Cowan - Wikipedia
and many others who are not fit to be cared for, at the expense of good people in our society who can’t get hospital treatment due to overcrowding!

All just my opinion.
?
Crime against the person up 0.4% gross - actually a net decrease when calculated per population.

Theft (in its various forms) are up 10+%, they’re the driver of overall numbers. I don’t think anyone’s getting the death penalty for knocking over a tradie’s ute…

There are definitely kangaroos in the park and in Ballarat central (my father hit one in central Ballarat recently). Without roo bar there was NO damage to his SUV and he decapitated the roo by accident.

Just removed one from my Ballarat road route into work ( clearly hit by many vehicles ) . They can pop up anywhere , even in the suburbs

Attachments

• IMG_7936.jpeg
    IMG_7936.jpeg
    155.4 KB · Views: 45

The police would have looked up all known persons to them in the area

Then checked the phone pings that happened at the same time as SM

as well In the area

And then starting crossing the ones out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics