Identified! SC - Columbia, Wht/HispMale, 20-40, Dreher Shoals, Oct'10 - Daniel Swindler

Here's a comparison of the facial recon with Daniel.

DanielSwindler.jpg

I've seen closer recons. The hairline is something I need to bear in mind with the males, that's for sure.

Boy, this family really stuck with it, God bless them. As a parent of a young man with Childhood Onset Schizophrenia, I really feel for them, and, of course, fear for my son. In our case, he was afflicted young enough that we've been able to keep him on meds and he's agreed to our legal guardianship. Because he was 9 when he developed schizophrenia, there are a lot of skills that he hasn't and never will master, such as driving, that might put him at greater risk, but on the other hand, he's incapable of really caring for himself at the level Daniel could, when he was managing his illness. It's true that the antipsychotic meds really do straitjacket the mind, but the longer one stays on them and doesn't have a psychotic break, the more he or she is able to hold up a normal-ish self-presentation. The cost is self-alienation, as Daniel's sister beautifully represents.

I understand the rationale behind the privacy laws, but they would make much more sense if we were better able to take care of the mentally ill. As it stands, families such as Daniel's suffer a lot for the notional freedoms of the mentally ill. There certainly are a lot of them in prisons and on the streets. The idea that they are 'differently abled' has been, by and large, pernicious. I could go on and on. I won't. But it's instructional what put Daniel's father off his representation at the SLED site, and how his sister was able to make the ID.

Rest in peace, Daniel, and my condolences to the family who loved him.

Vermontaigne, I'm sorry for your difficult situation, too. It just sucks, that's all.

his sister keeps a blog. after reading her posts, you'll understand why it took so long to find him

here is a post about her brother in 2012: http://allthingscampbell.blogspot.com/2012/04/my-brother-is-missing-person.html

and the post about when they found him: http://allthingscampbell.blogspot.com/2013/09/finding-daniel.html

incredibly sad, made me tear up a bit. i'm so glad her family has found him.

Just cried my way through Daniel's sister's posts you shared. Thank you. I've also lost a brother - not similar situations, but my big brother all the same - and so on some level, I can relate to the hurt. Her posts are beautiful and her brother Daniel sounds like an awesome man, making the most of what he had - really enjoying himself at times, and in pain at other times.

So good to hear about the resolution for this family. Glad I read this thread - it gives hope when there often isn't any.

love and hugs to this Swindler family.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clueliz
Back