SC SC - Jamilla Smith 30 & Daniel Harmon 34, *arrested*, DV history, JS still missing, Jackson, 2 Dec 2023

Unalienable Rights

Reaction score
1701765643959.png

AIKEN COUNTY, S.C. (WJBF) – Aiken County Sheriff’s Office is seeking the public assistance in locating two individuals being categorized as “missing endangered persons.”

According to investigators, Jamilla Shanae’ Smith, 30, of Jackson, S.C., and Daniel Gabriel Harmon, 34, of Jackson, S.C. are the individuals identified.

Smith, who stands approximately 5’3” tall and weighs around 107 lbs., has black hair and brown eyes. Harmon, who stands 5’9” tall and weighs 180 lbs., has black hair, and brown eyes.

The couple is believed to be driving a black Dodge Charger. Information on the car is limited to the general description at this time.

A man who’d been missing is in custody after a lengthy episode with police at a North Augusta residence Tuesday morning. The woman reported missing with him has not been found.

Daniel Gabriel Harmon, 34, was taken into custody after he refused to come out of the residence.

Harmon was taken into custody a little before 10 a.m. and was taken to an area hospital.

Abdullah said Harmon has an outstanding warrant on a charge of second-degree domestic violence.

He said police are still looking for Jamilia Shanae’ Smith, 30, of Jackson.

“She’s a good person. One thing about it. I know she loves her kids. She loves her kids. That’s all she talks about and she loves singing,” says Nicole, a friend of Jamilla Smith.

“She called me from his phone around three and she said Daniel threw my phone out the window on I-20,” says Tina McCraw, Smith’s mother.

The day prior, McCraw says her daughter’s ex-boyfriend and father to her youngest child, 34-year-old Daniel Harmon, was going car shopping with her in Columbia, South Carolina when an argument turned into him throwing that phone out the window.

According to the report, Smith and Harmon returned to Augusta around 6:30 P.M., and McCraw says that is the last time she spoke with Smith.

Jamilla Smith, 30, of Jackson, South Carolina, was reported missing on Dec. 2.

On Nov. 10, Harmon strangled Smith with two hands at the same Beech Island address where they would later go missing, according to warrants. She had injuries to her neck and an obstructed airway.

There was a child nearby during the incident who saw the strangling, according to warrants.

“She’s a good person. One thing about it. I know she loves her kids. She loves her kids. That’s all she talks about and she loves singing,” says Nicole, a friend of Jamilla Smith.

“She called me from his phone around three and she said Daniel threw my phone out the window on I-20,” says Tina McCraw, Smith’s mother.

The day prior, McCraw says her daughter’s ex-boyfriend and father to her youngest child, 34-year-old Daniel Harmon, was going car shopping with her in Columbia, South Carolina when an argument turned into him throwing that phone out the window.

According to the report, Smith and Harmon returned to Augusta around 6:30 P.M., and McCraw says that is the last time she spoke with Smith.

Also from the linked article:

The last day Smith was heard from, Aiken County dispatch received a call from a woman they later learned was Smith, and in that call, she said her ex-boyfriend showed up, and she ran down the street to get away. She screamed and dispatch heard a man saying get in a vehicle and a horn blowing before complete silence.

The Sheriff’s Office located Harmon, who was also missing, and arrested him Tuesday at a home on Carpentersville Road in North Augusta.

According to the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, Harmon is being charged with kidnapping Smith and also has a Domestic charge too.

Smith’s mother drove up from Florida on Thursday to enlist the community’s help.

Her travel plans brought her to Aiken County in time for the 3 p.m. bond hearing for Daniel Gabriel Harmon, 34, Smith’s ex-boyfriend who’s accused of kidnapping her.

Bond was denied for Harmon. He’s considered a flight risk and a danger to the community.

Both sides of the family were at the hearing in Aiken.

Emotions ran high as Smith’s family fought back tears when addressing their daughter’s accused kidnapper.

“I would want the court to deny bond. It’s hard every day,” said her father.

Harmon, dressed in red, both hands and feet in shackles, couldn’t sit still as Smith’s father spoke.

“It’s hard every day. I see you, but I do not see my daughter,” he said.

“Daniel, please if you know anything stop wasting time, [it’s] is all we got right now,” Smith’s father told ABC 13. “It’s hard every day I see you, but I do not see my daughter. I get the call [sic] you don’t know how bad this hurts me, and then it happens the day after my birthday. I need to see my baby.”

NewsChannel 6 examined 100 pages of incident reports and discovered a troubling pattern of domestic violence. The incidents include physical assaults, verbal altercations, a shooting, and property damage. “She would call me upset. You know, we would see her with bruises. It was very obvious. It was known. Everybody knew it wasn’t a secret,” Brittney added.

Cumbee Center Executive Director Jessica Coach shared people may stay in abusive situations for various reasons, including fear, financial dependency, love, and concerns for children’s well-being. “It takes the average person eight to 10 times to leave an abusive relationship before they leave for good. The most dangerous time for a victim is when they decide to leave,” she said.

Article about the similarities of this case with the case of Krystal Anderson, with comments by Krystal's sister and her offer of support to Jamilla's family.

Private Investigator Chandra Cleveland is working every lead, but says The Aiken County Sheriff's Office hasn't been cooperative. "Listening to an investigator who told the father, well, this is what you get when you mess with people like this...that is hard for a parent to take," she says.

Cleveland says the challenge is that Smith could be anywhere. "The area in which she went missing is a rural area, so it's not like people can go around and search from place to place because you don't know where to search."

At 10 a.m., her family will be joined by representatives of the ‘Broken Link Foundation’.

They’re expected to call on the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office and South Carolina Law Enforcement Division to do more to find Smith.

The family of a missing Aiken County mother is calling on a higher law enforcement agency to help in the search. 30-year-old Jamilla Smith called 911 when her ex-boyfriend showed up to her home December 2nd and has not been seen or heard from since that day.

“We’re offering a $10,000 reward for anybody who knows any type of information to call in and let somebody know something,” said Jame Smith, Jamilla Smith’s father.

It’s been more than two weeks and now an increase in reward money for the location of Jamilla Smith, known as Millie to loved ones. Monday, her family and missing persons organization Broken Link Foundation sent a message to Aiken County Sheriff’s Office.

“The family is requesting that SLED take over Jamilla’s investigation, removing Aiken County Sheriff’s Office entirely from the investigation. We are also asking that the FBI step in and assist,” said Kimberly Kite, Founder and Investigative Researcher with Broken Link Foundation.

Smith, who has two young children, last spoke to her mother around 7 o’clock Saturday, December 2nd. That same night, she called 911 to report her ex-boyfriend, 34-year-old Daniel Harmon showed up at her home.

She ran down the street to get away from him. While police arrested and charged Harmon a few days later in North Augusta with kidnapping and domestic violence, there have been no signs of Smith. He’s also not talking to law enforcement. And loved ones say they can’t get any answers from investigators.

“Nothing has been said. Nothing has been done. We’ve been left to do our own thing,” said family friend Vanessa Williams.
*and yet another good-for-nothing boyfriend not talking. *advertiser censored*

Murder charge added in missing Aiken County mom’s case

I wish he would just tell where her body is. Hopefully Aiken County can find plenty of digital evidence that will led to her remains and a conviction. Looks like she was doing all she could to be rid of this psycho.

After getting a search warrant for the car, blood was found in the spare tire well area of the trunk. Investigators took a sample and known DNA and sent it to SLED.

Investigator Jessica Abdullah received an email of the DNA report being complete on Saturday, but that information has been redacted from the affidavit. Additionally, it was noted that Smith’s cell phone has had no activity since December 2 and she has not reached out to her children, parents or siblings, which is unlike her.

Investigators believe Harmon hit Smith with a vehicle and did not take her to the hospital, based on Smith’s 911 call. And Harmon was in possession of the Charger when found. Her remains have not been located.

More details at the link.

JAN 6, 2023
A candlelight vigil will be held Saturday for Jamilla Smith at Harrison-Caver Park in Aiken County (4181 Augusta Rd., 29842) at 6 p.m.

[...]

Harmon will appear back in court on February 23.

If anyone has any information on the whereabouts of Smith, they're encouraged to contact the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office at 803-648-6811.

Tipsters can also send a message about this case by going to aikencountysheriff.net.

JAN 6, 2024
On December 2, investigators with the Aiken County Sheriff's Office say Smith made a call to 9-1-1 to report that Harmon was chasing her near their Beech Island home.

Moments later, the dispatcher heard an engine rev before Smith screamed and was heard say "No, you ran me over," according to an affidavit.

The family continues to offer a $5,000 reward to anyone who can provide information about Smith’s whereabouts.

Smith’s ex-boyfriend, Daniel Gabriel Harmon of Beech Island, was arrested Dec. 5 and charged with kidnapping and second-degree domestic violence in relation to her disappearance. He was charged with murder in the case on Dec. 23.

Family and friends of Smith lit candles with a promise: to never forget her life.

Karen Pride drove from Moncks Corner to lead the vigil. Her child went missing 6 months ago and she wanted to help smith’s family through a time she knows too well.

“I know the grief of a grieving family. I know how a mother feels when she’s grieving. I know how a father may feel when he’s grieving. I know how it is when you’ve lost a child. That’s a different kind of hurt, but were not here to fight the grief,” said Pride during the vigil.

New Charges Added to Suspect in Missing Mom's Case

JACKSON, S.C. (WRDW/WAGT) - An Aiken man charged with the kidnapping and murder of 30-year-old Jamilla Shanae’ “Millie” Smith is now facing new charges.

According to the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office, 34-year-old Daniel Harmon is now charged with one count of trafficking cocaine of 10 grams or more and one count of trafficking of fentanyl of 14 grams or more.

The charges were added on Friday, according to jail records.

The new drug charges come weeks after Harmon was arrested in the disappearance and murder of his ex-girlfriend Smith.

According to the arrest warrant, Harmon was in possession of around 16 grams of fentanyl and 19 grams of cocaine following the search warrant of the 2023 Dodge Charger.

Smith’s last known location was her house at 425 Old Jackson Highway on the night of Dec. 2.

On Dec. 2, an arrest warrant affidavit details Smith’s last phone call to 911 mentioning her ex-boyfriend allegedly breaking into her house, screaming, and eventually being run over before the end of the call.

On Dec. 3, the affidavit then notes Tina McCraw, Jamilla’s mother, reporting her missing, followed the next day on Dec. 4 with a news release from the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office noting both Smith and Har
mon as missing.

Dec. 5, the affidavit mentions the Sheriff’s Office finding Harmon with his missing black Dodge Charger at a property on Carpentersville Road in North Augusta.

Then on Dec. 6, the affidavit details an executed search warrant on the Dodge Charger, with suspected blood found inside of the trunk and on parts of a spare tire found inside of the trunk.

On Dec. 23, the affidavit then says deputies received a notification of the completed DNA report, the same day the murder charge was added to Harmon’s case.

The Aiken County Sheriff’s Office and the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division are working on the case.

If anyone has any information on this investigation, the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office encourages people to reach out to their office at 803-648-6811.

Jamilla is still missing.

JAN 16, 2024
[...]

Warrants said Harmon ran over Smith with his car, and blood collected from the Dodge Charger was taken to the South Carolina Law Enforcement Division for a known DNA sample.

The family is offering a $10,000 reward in the case, and Harmon has no bond at the Aiken County detention center.

Anyone with information on the case can contact the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office at 803-648-6811 or through a tip at aikencountysheriff.net.

“If you call 911 and you hear a distress call, you don’t do nothing about it? You just let it ride until you get a murder case?” said James Smith, Jamilla Smith’s dad about his daughter’s call for help.

Smith’s family and missing persons organization The Broken Link Foundationcalled into question several Aiken County Sheriff’s Office policies. They said it’s been one month since her father has heard from authorities and they say law enforcement still won’t answer critical questions about the case.

A family member, Vanessa Williams, shared, “Why is it taking so long for them to provide information such as GPS coordinates, cell phone information, forensics on a burner phone that we just received knowledge of. What we don’t know is why is it taking so long for them to find Millie.”

The family said what they do know is police have charged Daniel Harmon with Smith’s kidnapping and murder. Police said Harmon was Smith’s ex-boyfriend and that he abused her. Now, the family is moving in a new direction; getting their loved one’s body and a conviction. But they need Aiken County’s help and generosity.

“We are reaching out to the legal community and beyond, seeking a pro-bono attorney who can champion our case and our cause to help us find answers and justice,” said Jamilla Smith’s aunt, Gina Herron.

JAN 30, 2024
[...]

On Monday, her father’s side of the family broke their silence on the pain and questions they have for law enforcement.

Public Information Officer Eric Abdullah with the Aiken County Sheriff’s Office says unlike what you see on TV shows and movies, murder investigations take time to produce clear answers and some evidence can take longer than others to get back.

[...]

“One thing, we’d like people to understand is when we make an arrest, the investigation doesn’t stop. We’re continuing to follow up. The evidence has to be looked at and analyzed,” said Abdullah.

Next comes the data.

[...]

“Electronic data is not easily obtained, as you will see on an edited show. It takes a tremendous amount of time and resources to where you have to submit those affidavits of probable cause for why you need this information. The circuit court judge has to sign off on it and submit it to those locations in order to get that information back. They don’t just automatically turn around and give it to you,” said Abdullah.

[...]

“We can’t release evidence and we can’t just open up our investigative file and say ‘Here you go.’ We have some sensitive information in there including our timeline that we’re building and analyzing electronic data, all the locations that we searched, and documentation from that all those things are essential to building a case. Releasing information prematurely could jeopardize the success or prosecution in this case,” said Abdullah.

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BabyGhoul
Back