Identified! SC - Jason Patrick Callahan, Myrtle Beach, missing since 1995

It can take a year or 18 months.

Thats honestly such a ridiculous timeline. I work in medical research, and a genetic profile and match shouldn't take longer than a couple days really. I understand their back log, but still - wouldn't this case move up the list? Baffles me. I hope they find an answer soon.

Thats honestly such a ridiculous timeline. I work in medical research, and a genetic profile and match shouldn't take longer than a couple days really. I understand their back log, but still - wouldn't this case move up the list? Baffles me. I hope they find an answer soon.

It's tricky-before this FRS came along, the ME and the labs have had a pile in front of it. There are a number of other families and LE waiting for results as well from their own cases, so how do you pick?

I know this ME, however-this is someone I would trust with the process. There has been a no stone un turned approach to Jason's case for years.

Could have sworn I replied to this before... I spoke to Todd Matthews who is very dedicated to Grateful Dead Fan. He told me it could take 6+ months. Both he & Pam know how hard it is for Jason's mom & family & wish it did not take so long for DNA to be processed. I've personally seen it take 2 to 4 months; have not seen it take 6. Todd had told me back when it took Tammy's DNA 4 months to be processed that he had some that took 6 months!

I touched base with Pamela Reed last week

From the social media push thread
Roselvr, do you know when the official clock started ticking? Is 1-14 the date the dna was taken?

I don't have the exact date; 1/14 was the date the thread was made; but it's pretty close of a date. The 7th was when his mom contacted the ME; I was talking to Todd & Pam that morning. Everyone was very eager to get this case solved. I do not doubt that the DNA was taken when the police report was done 1/12. Jason's NamUs profile date entered 1/13/2015. It then gets sent to UNT.

We're coming up to 5 months now. Jason's DNA Status: Samples submitted - Tests not complete
Jason's NamUs profile date entered 1/13/2015

If he isn't OUR Jason I will eat my coffee cup!!!!( and everyone else's) I feel so bad for His Family having to wait like this.....it has to be unbearable

Well, his mother never reported him missing. I don't really feel bad for her. I feel bad for Jason, this could have been solved the same dag the accident happened

If he isn't OUR Jason I will eat my coffee cup!!!!( and everyone else's) I feel so bad for His Family having to wait like this.....it has to be unbearable

I will be shocked if it's not Jason, I just can't believe it's taking soooooooo long!! :waiting:

Well, his mother never reported him missing. I don't really feel bad for her. I feel bad for Jason, this could have been solved the same dag the accident happened

When was she supposed to report him missing? It was 1995. Cell phones were not prevalent, and by all accounts, Jason was a free spirit. All these years, she probably hoped he was off living on a commune somewhere. I don't think he was ever "missing" to her, he had just gone off. This kind of thing happened a LOT before there were cell phones and 24/7 accountability.

When was she supposed to report him missing? It was 1995. Cell phones were not prevalent, and by all accounts, Jason was a free spirit. All these years, she probably hoped he was off living on a commune somewhere. I don't think he was ever "missing" to her, he had just gone off. This kind of thing happened a LOT before there were cell phones and 24/7 accountability.

She figured he got married & was living his life; same as other families. With the net; some googled to see if they were listed in online phone books; then came cell phones where some people do not have a land line. Family looks on FB but still nothing. I graduated in 83; I can't count how many classmates are not on FB or have just gotten a profile within the last year

Yeah, you definitely can't fault his family for not filling a report. Back in 1989 when I took off with a boyfriend my mom tried reporting me and was told I was old enough. I was only 16. They often turned families away for wanting to report a missing person. His mother went to the cops and a report was never filed, I imagine it was much like my mom was told.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Given the fact that "Grateful Doe" is so well-known all over the world, it wouldn't surprise me if the DNA test results are double or even triple-checked to make sure there is no doubt as to his identity. I would rather they take the time and get the identification correct, instead of rushing. There are several cases on WS where the person was "identified" ; the id was incorrect, and the person is back to being UID again.

My heart goes out to the Callahan family as they wait for answers.

I don't know if I am reading too much into this, but I can't help but wonder why they refer to him as "victim" on the 'Circumstances' tab of his NamUs page. Is referring to a missing person as a "victim" typical?

Victim was last seen by family in Myrtle Beach in early June of 1995. Family has had no contact since. Victim may have moved to Champagne Illinois, or may have left to follow the Grateful Dead.

NamUs page for reference: https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/27394/0/

I agree with the previous post... I would eat my coffee cup if this isn't him and shave my head. I think and truly believe that Jason has a name and will be going home soon. I can't wait until they get the DNA back and my heart goes out to his family.

Namus for jason callahan is showing as dna test complete now

It has to be a match. We surely will find out soon now that the DNA is complete??

Further to the poster above who said she would eat her coffee cup if its not a match - i'll eat an entire tea service if it isn't a match.

This photo, underneath his right t shirt sleeve, could that be the faint tattoo in the Grateful Doe photos on Namus?

Wow.

MISSING PERSON
Jason Patrick Callahan

MISSING SINCE: June 01, 1995
HEIGHT: 70.0 in SEX: Male
WEIGHT: 160.0 to 170.0 lbs EYES: Brown
HAIR: Blond/Strawberry

Contact Myrtle Beach Police Department at 843-918-1826 with information.

Case #: 15-000688 NamUs MP #: 27394

I don't know if I am reading too much into this, but I can't help but wonder why they refer to him as "victim" on the 'Circumstances' tab of his NamUs page. Is referring to a missing person as a "victim" typical?

I'm not sure if it is typical to call a MP a "victim" but someone here is a victim of a car accident so maybe that is the reason for the wording?

Namus for jason callahan is showing as dna test complete now

For one; the hairs on my back are standing up! Today was Cali/ Tammy Jo Alexander's memorial! I can not believe it came back today!

I would assume if it is a match they are trying to notify his mom; or they are leaving profiles up to give his family respect/ privacy because of how huge this case is. They could also be running one more DNA test to make sure like they did with Cali/Tammy. If so; it will take another week. They (LE/ME) are getting their "ducks in a row" to make an announcement with a presser. once mom is notified.

Prayers to Jason's family! Huge virtual; hugs to his mom!

Victim was last seen by family in Myrtle Beach in early June of 1995. Family has had no contact since. Victim may have moved to Champagne Illinois, or may have left to follow the Grateful Dead.

It depends who is writing it. They may have called him "victim" because he is missing (assumed victim of something) or because of how all of us feel, that he is GDF and is the victim of an accidental death...

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rayyanwilson
Back