SC SC - Jonathan Anthony Holmes, 28, Columbia, 7 Mar 1997

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Jonathan Anthony Holmes was last seen on March 7, 1997 leaving Allen University in Columbia. He was a student there and he was enroute to Charleston in order to pick up his sister and mother. His vehicle, a 1986 black Ford Explorer, was found completely burned in Dorchester County that night around 2200. It was near the Jedburg exit (# 194) off of I-26. He was not reported missing to CPD until March 13, 1997.

Unsolved Cases – City of Columbia Police Department

97-8876 (Missing Person)

On March 7, 1997 the victim Jonathan Holmes age 29 was last seen leaving Allen University where he was a student. He was headed to Charleston to pick up a family member. His black 1986 Ford Explorer was found later that night at 10:00 pm completely burned near the I-26 Jedburg exit (# 194) in Dorchester County.

I wasn't able to find any more information on Jonathan—I guess this name combination is a more common than I thought.

However, I did find an obituary of a person who I think was Jonathan's father. I'll quote and bold the relevant parts below:

"James Albert Holmes, Sr., son of Beulah Mack Holmes and the late William Arthur Holmes, was born in Charleston County, South Carolina, on November 4, 1925...

He became ill while serving in Middleburg. Then he and his wife returned to their home in Newberry, South Carolina. After a long illness, the Rev. James A. Holmes, at the age of 67, slept away. The Rev. James A. Holmes departed this life on February 19, 1993.

He is survived by his devoted wife, Mrs. Mary H. Holmes of the home, his mother, Mrs. Beulah M. Holmes of Charleston, South Carolina; two sons, James A. Holmes, Jr., and Jonathan Anthony Holmes; one daughter, Mary Lee Holmes Aiken; brothers, William P.Holmes, Sr., the Rev. Arthur L. Holmes, and the Rev. Sidney W. Holmes; three sisters, Nita H.Henderson, Elizabeth H. Mikell, and Olivia H. White; two daughters-in-law; eight grandchildren; one son-in-law; seven brothers-in-law; nine sisters-in-law; and a host of other relatives and friends."

If they're related, then I assume Jonathan was going to visit his sister Mary Lee Holes Aiken, with their grandmother also living in the vicinity.

Could Jonathan have been the victim of a carjacking-gone-wrong? A robbery? A racially motivated crime?

Hello this is so crazy I see this on Mother's Day my brother was coming to pick up my mother and take her home from Mother's Day

You might not see this Mary, I hope you do, but how often did Jonathan make the drive to y'all? Could he have gotten lost on the way to Charleston? I know back then GPS wasn't a thing. I see he probably made it to Summerville at least.

Hello this is so crazy I see this on Mother's Day my brother was coming to pick up my mother and take her home from Mother's Day
I meant to reply to you not just comment on the thread. You might not see this, but how often did Jonathan make the drive to y'all in Charleston? Could he have gotten lost on the way there? I know back then GPS wasn't a thing. I see he probably made it to Summerville at least.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CumulativeHazard
Back