SC SC - Julia Ann Bean, 37, Sumter County, 31 May 2017

Heidi Kovas tells our panel that the daughter is sharing her information with police today. Bean vanished out of South Carolina, around 100 miles from the property the Heuermanns own.

Kovas says the daughter, after looking at a photo of Heuermann,”recognized him right away.” Kovas says the daughter recalls Heuermann and her mother showing up at a nail salon where she was getting her nails done for her graduation.

The man she identifies as Heuermann reportedly spoke to the then-teen, telling her that he had lake houses and boats that the girl and her friends could use to celebrate graduation. The man also said he wanted to marry Bean.

Mark Bordeaux, a spokesperson for the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, said a person who identified themselves as a friend of Bean contacted deputies to report they believed there was a connection between Bean and Heuermann. Since then, Bean’s daughter met with investigators and shared the belief that Bean might have been with Heuermann before she went missing.
Julia Ann Bean went missing from Sumter County in 2017.

Bordeaux said the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office contacted the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) regarding the case. They cannot say at this point if Bean and Heuermann ever had contact but they are investigating the possibility.

“Miss Bean may have a connection with the serial killer in New York, Rex Heuermann,” Bordeaux shares. “It's still unclear, but there's enough hope that our investigators are doggedly pursuing an answer.”

Investigators say a third party tip came in from someone outside of Sumter County who said there might be a connection between the suspected serial killer accused of killing four women. SCSO is now checking whether Bean should be added to the list. SCSO says Bean’s daughter initially reported her missing back in 2017. In a recent interview, SCSO says she remembered something that might be key.

“Someone that may have been, appeared, may have looked like Mr. Heuermann was with her mother and a vehicle may have been similar,” Bordeaux explains. “But once again, you'll notice I'm using the word ‘may’ and ‘possibly.’ We're hoping to nail that down through further investigations going on as we speak.”

Bordeaux says investigators’ response has been “guarded excitement.”

“On the one hand, we can get well-meaning tips and suggestions and theories that may have no basis in fact, so our men and women have to guard their emotions and just proceed methodically in what they're doing,” Bordeaux explains. “So there's a lot of hope for all of these missing people, as well as the homicide cases that have been unsolved, that we’ll have an answer, but until we have the evidence, we must be guarded in how we react and respond…”

SEP 1, 2023
[...]

Deputies say a woman claiming to be Bean's friend came forward Sunday afternoon saying Rex Heuerman and Bean may have been friends. Bean's daughter also said Heuermann may have been the unknown man who was with her mother the last day she ever saw her.

[...]

According to Sumter County Sheriff’s Office authorities, Julia Bean's daughter last saw her on June 1, 2017, one day before her graduation.

Officials say the daughter gave Bean and the unnamed man tickets to attend the graduation, but they never showed.

“A few days later her mother was asking her for pictures of graduation and in that text exchange investigators say that was the last time Bean viewed her phone," said Bordeaux.

[...]

Deputies say they have never come in contact with Heuermann but confirm that he owned property in Chester County so he has ties to the state.

[...]

''***UPDATED STATEMENT***
August 29, 2023
Missing Woman and Alleged Ties to Serial Killer Under Investigation
Sunday, August 20, 2023, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office was contacted by someone claiming to be a friend of missing person Julia Ann Bean. An investigator met with this individual and was told that they believed there may be a connection between Bean and murder suspect Rex Heuermann.
The individual does not reside in Sumter County and only recently contacted the Sheriff’s Office. The information she provided is third hand.
At the conclusion of the meeting, the investigator thanked them for contacting them and assured them that their information would be investigated. The following day, a team investigating the disappearance of Bean met and reviewed the information provided. The Federal Bureau of Investigation was contacted and information relating to the case was shared with them.
Ms. Bean’s daughter, Cameron, responded to investigators requests for an interview. She was very cooperative and eager to help. It is her recollection that someone she saw with her mother could possibly be Heuermann.
Sumter County Sheriff’s Office investigators have been pouring over the information they have recently received to determine if there is any evidence linking Bean with Heuermann. Yet there are no confirmed facts that confirm or deny the possibility of a connection.
Since 2017, the Sumter County Sheriff's Office has extensively investigated Ms. Bean’s disappearance. Investigators are interviewing individuals and investigating reports that she may have been seen with Rex Heuermann. Her case will remain open until she is found.
Ms. Bean was last seen in Sumter County South Carolina on May 31, 2017. Her daughter, Cameron, reported her to be missing on November 18, 2017.
As with all unsolved cases, the investigation into the disappearance of Ms. Julia Bean is open and ongoing. If anyone has information that may be relevant to the investigation, they are asked to call the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office 803-436-2000, or use the website www.p3tips.com or the “P3” app.
###''

Property and appraisal records show Heuermann owns four vacant lots in Chester County, South Carolina, approximately 80 miles northwest of Sumter County, where Bean lived. Chester County is 35 miles south of the state's border with North Carolina, and is considered part of the larger Charlotte metropolitan area.

Appraisal records show Heuermann bought the South Carolina lots in 2021 and most recently made a payment for them in March of this year.

Julia Bean sold a lot of land deeded to her from her mother in law on June 1. 2017 then paid off 2 jugements against her on June 13, 2017. According to post on Facebook she post July 12, 2017 on her daughters post.
So somebody posted on FB that Julie Bean took actions in June in reply to the daughters post? Is that what you saw?

Land transactions and judgement settlements are verifiable. If that is false...the poster is sus.

MOO

There are reports the FBI is involved. Meanwhile the Sheriff's office is sounding pretty hostile to the leads. Calling them hearsay, and suppositions.

Well, that's why it's called an investigative lead. Or a tip. Isn't every tip hearsay or a supposition? It's up to the investigators to turn the lead into more than that...or learn that there is no more to learn.

The hostility gives me the creeps, frankly. The daughter alleges that the case is connected to crimes committed by or with the knowledge of the Sheriff. Whether that is right or wrong, I don't know. But I do think the Sheriff spokesman seems more emotional than appropriate- as if he's fed up with hearing tips.

And I also think eliminating Rex, such as if he were obviously in NY during the time Julie Bean was spotted with a look-alike, the FBI would not be coming on board. I'm comforted by their involvement.

MOO

Cameron Bean’s friend Heidi Kovas told Ashleigh Banfield on the News Nation program “Banfield” that Bean is certain her mother was with Heuermann. She never saw either one again.

Recently, Bean saw him on the news when he was arrested and sent a text message saying, “I have chills … I’ve seen him. That was the last man I saw her with personally.”

Kovas talked to Sumter investigators, who in turn contacted Cameron Bean. She verified the story

Julia Ann Bean​

bean_julia.jpg
bean_julia2.jpg
bean_julia3.jpg
bean_julia4.jpg
bean_julia5.jpg

• Missing Since 05/31/2017
  • Missing FromSumter, South Carolina
  • Classification Missing
  • Sex Female
  • RaceWhite
  • Date of Birth 05/02/1981 (42)
  • Age 36 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 110 pounds
  • Medical Conditions Bean struggled with addiction at the time of her disapearance.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian female. Light brown hair, green eyes. Bean has the following tattoos: a tribal design on her lower back, the name "Scott" on her left hip, and eight small paw prints on her right hip.

Details of Disappearance​

Bean was last seen in the Red Bay Road area of Sumter, South Carolina on May 31, 2017. Her last activity on her Facebook account was on July 12, 2017.

Bean left behind $5,000 in the bank, as well as cash in her purse. She also left some drugs lying out on the table at home. Her daughter was about to graduate from high school and had gotten Bean tickets to attend the ceremony, but she never showed up for it. She has never been heard from again. She was reported missing on November 18, 2017.

The suspected serial killer Rex Heuermann may be linked to Bean's disappearance. A photo of him is posted with this case summary. He was arrested in July 2023 and charged with the murders of three women in Long Island, New York, and is being investigated in other cases. All of his alleged victims were sex workers who advertised on the website Craigslist.

Heuermann owns land in Chester County, South Carolina, about a two-hour drive from where Bean was last seen. Bean's daughter, one of the the last persons to see her prior to her disappearance, said she recognized Heuermann's photo from the news as the person who was with Bean at the time her daughter last saw her. The police haven't been able to prove a connection, however.

Bean has relatives in several states, but none of them have heard from her. She didn't have a cellular phone at the time of her disappearance. Her case remains unsolved and foul play is suspected.

Last updated September 12, 2023; picture and medical conditions added, details of disappearance updated.

Apparently, Rex drove to Virginia to attend to his mother about half a dozen times between his allegedly getting hit by a car in January 2017 and the time of his April 2018 deposition.
The depo mentioned other trips, but never once mentioned South Carolina or Craig.

It mentioned trips to Binghamton to visit his sisters.

I find it weird he would not meet his bro in Virginia or continue to SC to meet Craig.

(It sounds like complete BS that he was injured, fwiw.)

I think it's weird that he didn't mention his brother when he did mention his nuclear family by name, and his sisters and mother by relationship, at least.

I wonder if it is possible he used his mother as an excuse to cruise South Carolina. It seems possible.

I apologize if this is hard to read: something is very wonky with the formatting of this site at the moment.

I believe I've attached the URL to the deposition. Without even reading it, you can look at the index of words mentioned: Las Vegas, Binghamton, sisters, Virginia, New Jersey, etc. and the absence of mentioning "brother" or "Carolina".

MOO

Last edited:
I'm thinking about Julie Bean today.

I feel so sad that her relationship with Cam ended the way it did. Julie was struggling with drug addiction, and, by my possibly incorrect perception, Cam ended up quite parentified. Cam having to worry about her mother when she went out, rather than the other way around. Cam having to work very hard to make her mother, disabled by addiction, able to attend her HS graduation. Since Cam set up plans and back up plans, it seems like the only thing that could have kept Julie away was abduction.

That story resonates with me because I feel the strong bond between them in it.

People recover from addiction. People survive parentification. Julie and Cam should be together, swapping parenting, childhood and addiction stories and watching the next generation benefit from their excessively hard-earned wisdom.

MOO

I'm thinking about Julie Bean today.

I feel so sad that her relationship with Cam ended the way it did. Julie was struggling with drug addiction, and, by my possibly incorrect perception, Cam ended up quite parentified. Cam having to worry about her mother when she went out, rather than the other way around. Cam having to work very hard to make her mother, disabled by addiction, able to attend her HS graduation. Since Cam set up plans and back up plans, it seems like the only thing that could have kept Julie away was abduction.

That story resonates with me because I feel the strong bond between them in it.

People recover from addiction. People survive parentification. Julie and Cam should be together, swapping parenting, childhood and addiction stories and watching the next generation benefit from their excessively hard-earned wisdom.

MOO
I'm not sure that Julie was still actively using when she was abducted, was she?

I'm not sure that Julie was still actively using when she was abducted, was she?
Part of why Cam didn't believe she just ran off, and was brought to harm is her mother left without her drugs which she needed. At that point her her life, Julie Bean could not miss her next fix, if I have my facts straight.

And if I am properly understanding the narrative Cam related, she understood her mother's needs and illness, and compensated by taking impressive responsibility. Not everyone has the ability to step up like it seems to me she did. Maybe she shouldn't have had to, but she did because she was that kind of person. And it is notable that she was able to do it because she had that kind of talent.

I am a stranger on the internet; I might not know what I'm talking about.

It is so sad. It really hurts when a disappearance can appear to be shrugged off by those who have the duty to serve and protect.

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cricketcms
Back