Found Deceased SC - Michelle Murph 6 & dad Jason Murph 42, may have been in car accident, phoned wife 8pm near Hwy 301 near Calhoun County, 16 Dec 2023

Possibly were ejected?
I would be doubtful of that, from what I know of crash scenes, but that's a good point. Ejections are pretty uncommon in non rollover accidents, and had it been a serious rollover, I think LE would have stated something to the effect of their vehicle being found crashed (etc.) as opposed to just being found. But IF they were ejected, the speed at which that would have occurred and the effect on the body, from a trauma standpoint would make the phone call regarding a crash less likely. I'm thinking more along the lines of injured, left vehicle to seek help and died due to environmental factors (geographic conditions such as water, outside temperature/hypothermia, etc). Accuweather said it was down in the 30's that night. https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/columbia/29201/december-weather/330679 Whatever happened, two dear souls have been lost and will always be remembered.

According to RCSD, deputies found the truck of a missing father and daughter around 12 p.m. Monday and found the pair about an hour later on Lavender Lane near exit 136 off Interstate 26.

Orangeburg County’s K9 unit found their bodies about 100 yards away from the truck, officials added.
Missing father, daughter found dead, Richland County deputies say
RSBM
Their truck looks thoroughly burned out.
Another mystery is the location along Lavender Lane. That galvanized structure in WIS10's video looks like the base of a fairly tall pole, but whatever its height, I can't find it on Street View, which runs the length of the road and dates from September 2023. Perhaps it's newer even than that.

RSBM
Their truck looks thoroughly burned out.
Another mystery is the location along Lavender Lane. That galvanized structure in WIS10's video looks like the base of a fairly tall pole, but whatever its height, I can't find it on Street View, which runs the length of the road and dates from September 2023. Perhaps it's newer even than that.
I've found the accident location here:

IMO, it seems they may have left the highway by the hydro pole and went down the embankment into the swamp and Murph Mill Creek that are just on the opposite side of the pole from the highway. Given the shape of the vehicle, suspect they may have suffered burn injuries, and ended up soaking wet and Dad tried to make it with the daughter to the very last house on Lavender Lane --- from the sky view, the lights from that home would have been viewable from the accident location IMO.

So very tragic and help so close. My condolences to the family of this Dad and his daughter. He obviously loved her very, very much.

Last edited:
I've found the accident location here:

IMO, it seems they may have left the highway by the hydro pole and went down the embankment into the swamp and Murph Mill Creek that are just on the opposite side of the pole from the highway. Given the shape of the vehicle, suspect they may have suffered burn injuries, and ended up soaking wet and Dad tried to make it with the daughter to the very last house on Lavender Lane --- from the sky view, the lights from that home would have been viewable from the accident location IMO.

So very tragic and help so close. My condolences to the family of this Dad and his daughter. He obviously loved her very, very much.
Thanks. BTW, I picked up on "hydro" immediately.

Autopsies scheduled for Friday.
CALHOUN COUNTY, S.C. (WIS) - Autopsies have been scheduled for Friday for a father and his 6-year-old daughter who were found dead in Calhoun County, according to Coroner Donnie Porth.

[...]

Porth told WIS News 10 no foul play is suspected at this time.

I doesn't look like fire damage on the paint. Didn't see anything in the news about it. MOO
The door latches, tail latch, tailights, license plate moulding, tires and windows are completely gone, almost as if the bare metal truck body and frame had yet to enter assembly. The silver-gray paint is scorched in places, also the roof and the door area look warped.
From Missing father, daughter found dead, Richland County deputies say (screenshot from 2nd video at 0:56, adjusted for levels):
wis10-totuburned.jpg
Comparison with photo in the opening post, truck cropped for emphasis:
1702890486600truckcrop.png

I doesn't look like fire damage on the paint. Didn't see anything in the news about it. MOO

I agree.
It looks like a dented muddy truck that has been in an accident that has been pulled out of a swampy muddy area. Plus we had a ton of rain over the weekend.
No mention by LE of the truck being burned.
In my opinion, it is a very tragic accident.

1703036907846.png

Better picture of the truck from the below article. Article also states this:

"According to the incident report, Jason Murph's wife stated the two were estranged and living separately, but that he had been caring for his daughter for the previous two weeks .
She reported that she received a call around 8 p.m. Saturday from Jason Murph saying his Toyota Tundra truck had wrecked in Calhoun County and he didn’t know where he was.
The report also says during this phone she could hear their daughter yelling in the background and Jason hung up the phone and refused to answer. It also says that the phone died and Murph’s wife texted him to contact 911 but she never heard from him again."

View attachment 469057

Better picture of the truck from the below article. Article also states this:

"According to the incident report, Jason Murph's wife stated the two were estranged and living separately, but that he had been caring for his daughter for the previous two weeks .
She reported that she received a call around 8 p.m. Saturday from Jason Murph saying his Toyota Tundra truck had wrecked in Calhoun County and he didn’t know where he was.
The report also says during this phone she could hear their daughter yelling in the background and Jason hung up the phone and refused to answer. It also says that the phone died and Murph’s wife texted him to contact 911 but she never heard from him again."

Gee, I withdraw my previous opinion.
That truck looks wrecked and burned.
So they wrecked and survived but later died?
So sad.

Gee, I withdraw my previous opinion.
That truck looks wrecked and burned.
So they wrecked and survived but later died?
So sad.
Maybe the father placed the call prior to the wreck and fire and ended their lives. The dad did not respond to the mother’s call. Someone must have seen the flames. How was the vehicle located? To me, the truck doesn't look wrecked.

This is what strikes me as odd about the call with the mother: "The report also says during this phone she could hear their daughter yelling in the background"

So was the vehicle on fire and the daughter yelling because of that? Had the daughter been hurt in an accident and that was the reason for the screams? Or did the daughter sense something was "wrong"?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Findhim
Back