SC SC - Myrtle Beach, BlkMale 18-30, UP15051, drowned in resort pool, silver Nike low top shoes, Feb'16

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score

Conway, SC (WPDE) — Horry County police and the Horry County coroner are still trying to identify the body of a man who was found drowned in a Myrtle Beach area resort pool.

"The gentleman didn't have any identification on him, he didn't have a key to any of the apartments there, there were no vehicles found unknown to who they were," said King Hemingway, a detective with the Horry County Police Department.
Detective Hemingway wonders how the man even got into Ocean Creek Plantation's pool. He said security had turned him away earlier in the day.

"They asked him if he was a resident there and he said no so they told him he couldn't enter," said Hemingway.

It is not known why the John Doe was in Myrtle Beach to begin with.

"Did he come to vacation? Was he looking for a job? Was he with a friend and they went off and left him and he went and fell in the pool accidentally?" Edge asked.

This is the only case of an unidentified body in Horry County right now.

http://wpde.com/news/local/body-found-in-resort-pool-still-unidentified-two-years-later

https://identifyus.org/en/cases/15051

Nine-year time gap, but I believe Kareem Ward is a possibility:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/23932/

His car was pulled out of a river in June 2007, but he was nowhere to be found. Sounds like it could possibly have been a deliberate disappearance.

Wow, that would really be something if it was him! This UID sketch is odd the way his eyes are so far apart and they made him looking off to the side and his nose and lips are so big while his chin is small-- I wonder how close it is to how he looked in life? I couldn't find anyone that remotely looks like this sketch, IMO. I wish we could get another forensic artist to take a look or that they would release actual photos of him since he had a recognizable face.

Kareem's stats match up. Here's a straight on pic from Charley Project next to the sketch:

cache.php
cache.php

It's not perfect, but I think the sketch could be exaggerated on the size of his nose and the width between his eyes.
Kareem is the closest I've seen. I think you should submit it, CO.

http://charleyproject.org/case/kareem-jamaal-ward

Submitted. Can't imagine why Kareem could have wanted to disappear (even had a baby on the way), but this looks a little too close to rule out.

Warning- Postmortem Photo at NamUs
(Not very graphic)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP15051
ME/C Case Number 16-0224
Male, Black / African American

Estimated Age Range (Years)
18-30

Estimated Year of Death: 2016
Estimated PMI: Hours

Height
5' 8"(68 inches) ,
Measured

Weight
175 lbs, Estimated

On 2-6-16 this unknown black male was found deceased in the North Myrtle Beach area and as of 2-12-16 efforts to identify him has come up with negative results. Anyone who knows the identity of this person please contact Horry County Police Tip line 843-915-8477.
Horry Case# 16010650

All parts recovered
Condition of Remains
Recognizable face

Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Facial hair: moustache and goatee

Scar/markscar on lateral aspect of left eyebrow

Clothing: yellow / gold basketball style shorts, On the Body

Clothing: Tan pants with a brown cloth belt
Dark gray and silver Nike low top shoes
White socks
Green in color boxer short underwear
White long-sleeve shirt
Blue and white short-sleeve shirt (photo at NamUs), Near the Body

Footwear: Nike tennis shoes, Near the Body

Warning- Postmortem Photo at NamUs
(Not very graphic)
The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Unidentified Person / NamUs #UP15051
ME/C Case Number 16-0224
Male, Black / African American

Estimated Age Range (Years)
18-30

Estimated Year of Death: 2016
Estimated PMI: Hours

Height
5' 8"(68 inches) ,
Measured

Weight
175 lbs, Estimated

On 2-6-16 this unknown black male was found deceased in the North Myrtle Beach area and as of 2-12-16 efforts to identify him has come up with negative results. Anyone who knows the identity of this person please contact Horry County Police Tip line 843-915-8477.
Horry Case# 16010650

All parts recovered
Condition of Remains
Recognizable face

Hair: Black
Eyes: Brown
Facial hair: moustache and goatee

Scar/markscar on lateral aspect of left eyebrow

Clothing: yellow / gold basketball style shorts, On the Body

Clothing: Tan pants with a brown cloth belt
Dark gray and silver Nike low top shoes
White socks
Green in color boxer short underwear
White long-sleeve shirt
Blue and white short-sleeve shirt (photo at NamUs), Near the Body

Footwear: Nike tennis shoes, Near the Body
I wonder where in North Myrtle he was found. It's strange they don't mention that. Might help if an exact location was listed because someone could have sighted him around the area. Also missing is his cause of death.

I personally know Myrtle Beach pretty well. I am from NC and have vacationed/traveled there at least once a year since birth. The interesting thing about it is many of times it isn't entirely rare to run into someone also from your town while there! My boyfriend is from 4 states away and even has traveled there years ago.

That's going to be a disadvantage with IDing this Doe with it being a popular tourist location.

Last edited:
Only Black Male I could find off Doe Network that fit the time frame, but he has tattoos/pierced ears, and significant weight differences. He went missing a week before from Alabama.

5227DMAL.jpg
5227DMAL1.jpg

Name: Hy'Shawn Curry
Case Classification: Endangered Missing
Missing Since: January 31, 2016
Location Last Seen: Wilcox County, Alabama

Physical Description
Date of Birth: May 25, 1988
Race: Black/African American
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 130 lbs
Hair Color: Black, Short
Eye Color: Brown
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Multiple tattoos, wears glasses, and both ears are pierced.

Identifiers
Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Available

5227DMAL - Hy'Shawn Curry

Edit: Does his second picture look like he has a scar on his left eyebrow?

I found quite a few possibilities on NamUs.
Thumbnail

Kourtenay Keefe Davis
Missing: January 16, 2016
Height:5' 8" - 6' 1" (68 - 73 Inches)
Weight:189 lbs

Thumbnail

Binyam Admassu Mamo
Missing: January 12, 2015
Height: 5' 8" (68 Inches)
Weight: 150 lbs
Thumbnail

Revern Sehvon Sharp
Missing: March 23, 2015
Height: 5' 7" - 5' 8" (67 - 68 Inches)
Weight: 180 - 190 lbs
Thumbnail

Raheem Blaton Bordueax
Missing: May 7, 2015
Height: 5' 8" (68 Inches)
Weight: 130 lbs

@aThousandYearsWide

When I posted this case yesterday, I didn't have time to search further yet, but I thought this gentleman deserves to be identified. So I appreciate your responses.

I did an internet search and have found more information.
He was found in a hotel resort pool,
Ocean Creek Plantation's pool. The article says earlier in the day security had turned him away because he wasn't a resident there.
So it seems he is a drowning victim.

"The gentleman didn't have any identification on him, he didn't have a key to any of the apartments there, there were no vehicles found unknown to who they were," said KH, a detective with the Horry County Police Department...

"We ran him through our database, our fingerprint database, we added him to this system called Nameis.."
(I assume must be NamUs.)
Body found in resort pool still unidentified two years later

Edit: Does his second picture look like he has a scar on his left eyebrow?

I can't tell if HC has a scar.
But I would think if our unidentified man had tattoos or pierced ears, it would have been mentioned on his NamUs page?

I wonder where in North Myrtle he was found. It's strange they don't mention that. Might help if an exact location was listed because someone could have sighted him around the area. Also missing is his cause of death.

I personally know Myrtle Beach pretty well. I am from NC and have vacationed/traveled there at least once a year since birth. The interesting thing about it is many of times it isn't entirely rare to run into someone also from your town while there! My boyfriend is from 4 states away and even has traveled there years ago.

That's going to be a disadvantage with IDing this Doe with it being a popular tourist location.

Unfortunately, as you probably know besides tourists, Myrtle Beach and North Myrtle Beach have a huge homeless population. I lived in NC and visited, then moved to Myrtle Beach.
If he was a member of the homeless community, it's going to be hard to ID him as most of them use street names 99% of the time.

I wonder why he was so focused on that particular pool. There are other hotels within a couple of miles (unless they are newer construction). I don't get a homeless "vibe" from the wardrobe. Khaki pants with a belt, a polo shirt, and Nikes in good condition...and he changed into shorts to swim? I wonder if there were changing facilities nearby or if he had the shorts on underneath everything? His head and facial hair are neatly kept. What a strange case!

I'm scouring every missing black male before that time and in that age range. I found a few that look similar but have tattoos and the UID isn't listed as having any. These are the closest matches I could find.

Omar Gibson - appearance is really similar if you imagine him with wide open, super-imposed eyes like the UID, not a whole lot of info on his disappearance. Other stats are close enough.

Dicarlos Hite - Nose is nearly identical, down to the wide bridge. Other stats similar.

I wonder why they think he is from North Carolina. Unless I missed something in the article. Like if they traced his clothing or something to an NC store, isotopes, etc.

You didn't miss anything, It's just thrown in there with no explanation. Maybe they're holding it back for some reason?

I have a theory that perhaps he was a person with autism who was drawn to the water and quite literally got in over his head. It would explain the fixation on that particular pool, as perhaps that was a place he had visited or lived near. If he were a vulnerable adult, that opens the door to many reasons he may not have been reported, from living in a dicey group home to having an indigent family who couldn't afford burial.

Reconstruction
1681839463691.png

Note: The postmortem photo, that the reconstruction was based on, appears to have been taken very close to the camera lens. This will cause the UP's facial features to have different proportions than in life.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
undefined.value
Back