SC - Nine killed in Emanuel AME Church shooting, Charleston; Dylann Roof charged #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading on Wikipedia, DR is not scheduled for court again until October?

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

I'm following the Post and Courier reporter Grace Beahm tweets and so far there are three car accidents on the Ravenel Bridge where the bridge walk is starting. Traffic totally tied up. Hope no one is injured.

From The Daily Beast Timeline:

"Roof is arrested in Shelby County, North Carolina, 250 miles north of Charleston after a motorist calls police when she sees a driver matching Roof’s description. Roof reportedly gives a statement “tantamount to confession” to the church massacre, and tells investigators he was heading to Nashville, Tennessee, but expected to be caught in Charleston."

That was new info to me. I wonder what, if anything, awaited him in Nashville?

From The Daily Beast Timeline:

"Roof is arrested in Shelby County, North Carolina, 250 miles north of Charleston after a motorist calls police when she sees a driver matching Roof’s description. Roof reportedly gives a statement “tantamount to confession” to the church massacre, and tells investigators he was heading to Nashville, Tennessee, but expected to be caught in Charleston."

That was new info to me. I wonder what, if anything, awaited him in Nashville?

I read that when they asked him why Nashville, he said because he had never been there before. But I don't remember where I read that or if that was his true motivation.

JMO

ETA: here it is....

He said that he was going to Nashville, TN when he was captured.

When asked why he was going to Nashville, he reportedly told investigators “I've never been there before.”

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29363539/reports-dylann-roof-was-headed-to-nashville-after-shooting

It is the prosecutor's decision on who gets to make a plea deal, not the defendant's. To the best of my knowledge, he can plead guilty to avoid a trial, but that doesn't mean the death penalty is off the table. I don't see the DA going for a plea deal here.

This hate killer will never be offered a plea deal. The defense team will not even try it because they know its just a waste of time.

You are right. He can plead guilty to all of the murders and then DA will empanel a jury for the sentencing phase which will include the death penalty. The family members of the victims deserve to face him face to face in a trial and it will be done. IMO

He has nothing to offer the state and they don't have any reason to offer or accept any kind of deal. They have the goods on him all the way. He isn't some kind of serial killer that is going to give up where he put the bodies in exchange for a plea of LWOP. He has nothing to bargain with.

He will get death..just like he deserves. I don't have one doubt about that. None.

IMO

The self-important posing in the pictures of DR remind me of the Isla Vista shooter.

The assassin has evolved – they are the loners, the estranged, and the self-alienated ones, and the frequency of mass murders has risen exponentially with the availability, instruction, publicity, and easy access to the means to carry it out.

This massacre brings back feelings of overwhelming sadness of the assassinations 40-50 years ago in another era.

Like the assassinations before them, these families, this church, their city, and this country has lost a group of enlightened ones, from elders at the peak of wisdom to a young man with his future ahead of him, to the unspeakable trauma inflicted on the witnesses left behind... The service was beautiful, today. May love and faith comfort all in the days and years ahead.

-Don’t know what the fall out will be but like any soul altering event, time will tell.

I don't know where it is, but it was posted on here. It is an interview with a friend of DR. The friend is black and has nothing but positive things to say.

How could DR been doing all of these things such as visiting slave sites, yet he has a friend that still stands by him.

Thank you to the others that confirmed the 'headed to Nashville' statement.

I also found this, I think it is the original source:

"The suspect only thought he shot a few people at the church. Police told him nine people died. Police say that's when the suspect showed some remorse.

The alleged shooter told police he thought he would have been caught in Charleston, but he was captured and arrested in Shelby.

Roof told police he was headed to Nashville after the shootings, saying he'd never been there before.

Sources also tell WBTV the conversation was recorded and given to the FBI."​

Copyright 2015 WBTV

http://www.wbtv.com/story/29365309/...ed-to-nashville-after-shootings-in-charleston

I wonder who took all the pictures of him. Looks like he had a traveling companion on his tour of all those places.

I don't know where it is, but it was posted on here. It is an interview with a friend of DR. The friend is black and has nothing but positive things to say.

How could DR been doing all of these things such as visiting slave sites, yet he has a friend that still stands by him.

I found an interview with the friend earlier, I'll go back to find the link. IIRC, the friend said he had only reconnected with DR recently. He said he hadn't had much contact with him since middle school, that DR looked him up recently. So the friend may have only been speaking of his earlier memories.

It kind of makes you wonder why DR was suddenly looking up old black friends.

ETA Here's the link to the article about his friend, Meek's interview. He states he hadn't heard from Meek since Middle School, but that DR reached out to him on Facebook a couple of weeks ago. Very strange. I wonder if he was going to frame his friend for the killings or use him in some way to plan the murders.

In the same article below, another friend from school days, presumably white, said DR made racist jokes all through school. He said it wasnt anything serious, just "Southern Pride" stuff. These people are disgusting. Racist jokes are funny? Southern Pride doesn't sound like anything these people should be proud of.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/06/18/everything-known-about-charleston-church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof.html

I wonder who took all the pictures of him. Looks like he had a traveling companion on his tour of all those places.
I believe these are selfies taken with a camera with a timer. Not sure if this fact though.

This is so strange, The white guy says DR made racist jokes. The black guy says he. necer heard anything racist.

Why get that friendship going when he despises black people? And he said the people at the church were nuce to him. What a strange one. I wonder if he will reveal more.

No, it doesn't add up. There is still so much unknown about his friends, what they knew and when, etc. Also many, many questions about the white supremacist group he was affiliated with, the Concerned Citizens of whatever. They're a quasi domestic terrorist group.

There's much , much more investigating needed, but it will have to be the FBI, DHS, etc to do it. it needs to be viewed as domestic terrorism.

I really think we need to start studying these mass shooters in detail now more than ever before. They tend to follow a pattern of being white, middle class loners who usually have obsessive tendencies with violence and guns.

It still to this day freaks me out how little we actually know to this day about Adam Lanza, thr sandy hook killer. No online footprint, testimonies of friends or even acquaintances or people he conversed with online, nothing.

I think when something like this occurs it's easy for society as a whole to say "they're evil, don't pay them any attention! Why should we care about such bad people and learn about them?" And just ignore it despite it happening again and again. My brains frazzled from lack of sleep, someone please tell me I'm making sense please?! Haha

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is true about Adam Lanza. We know more about Seung-Hui Cho and he was way more tacit than Lanza.

Cho was always around people at Virginia Tech and people thought something was off about him.

Lanza had minimal contact with the outside world, so we know less. I am sure he does have an online footprint under different names. I know he had acquaintances, but not a whole lot.

Senator Lindsey Graham's niece, Emily Boggs, went to school with Dylann Roof. She thought something was off about him. She thought he was like Adam Lanza.
http://abcnews.go.com/US/lindsey-graham-sc-church-shooting-suspect-dylann-roof/story?id=31877465

The niece of South Carolina Senator and Republican presidential candidate Lindsey Graham attended grade school with the 21-year-old suspected South Carolina church shooter and described him as "one of these Newtown-type guys," according to the lawmaker.

Graham, who knew the pastor who was killed in the tragedy, said his niece went to 8th grade and high school with suspect Dylann Roof.

According to the senator, his sister Darline told him about his niece Emily going to school with Roof.

I know some rampage killers, people thought they are the kind who do something like that. People said that about Seung-Hui Cho, Jared Loughner, and Elliot Rodger. Adam Lanza and James Holmes did raise red flags, but I do not recall anyone saying he is the kind who would commit mass murder.

I believe these are selfies taken with a camera with a timer. Not sure if this fact though.

I think it is very possible he did use a timer.

I could not imagine he had other people helping him because he feared that they may blow his cover.

Lurker Nancy here... But i had to share...If you get a chance to look at the Facebook page for "Bridge to Peace - Unity Chain for Emanuel AME Church" the pictures are amazing... restores some faith in humanity... Crying HAPPY tears!!!

Here is his friend.

"Interestingly, Scriven also said that in all the times that he and Roof had gotten fall-down drunk together, he never said “anything racist” to him. In fact, the 21-year-old says what Roof did in the historic black church doesn’t change his feelings for his former neighbor at all."

http://newsone.com/3128860/christon-scriven-dylann-roofs-black-friend/

The self-important posing in the pictures of DR remind me of the Isla Vista shooter.

The assassin has evolved – they are the loners, the estranged, and the self-alienated ones, and the frequency of mass murders has risen exponentially with the availability, instruction, publicity, and easy access to the means to carry it out.

This massacre brings back feelings of overwhelming sadness of the assassinations 40-50 years ago in another era.

Like the assassinations before them, these families, this church, their city, and this country has lost a group of enlightened ones, from elders at the peak of wisdom to a young man with his future ahead of him, to the unspeakable trauma inflicted on the witnesses left behind... The service was beautiful, today. May love and faith comfort all in the days and years ahead.

-Don’t know what the fall out will be but like any soul altering event, time will tell.

Elliot Rodger had a lot of photos and videos of himself. He is extremely narcissistic.

Ok. If he attempted suicide, then why did he flee to another state?

I don't understand why he he just re-load and shoot?

Ok. If he attempted suicide, then why did he flee to another state?

I don't understand why he he just re-load and shoot?

He ran out of bullets.

Dylann Roof tried to kill himself during attack, victim's son says
http://touch.latimes.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83832120/

During the attack at the Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, S.C., on Wednesday night, suspected gunman Dylann Roof tried to kill himself, according to the son of one of the victims.

"He pointed the gun at his head and pulled the trigger, but it went 'click,'" because the chamber was empty, said Kevin Singleton, the son of 59-year-old Myra Thompson.

“His plan was never to leave that church,” Singleton said.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
missa1871