SC - Parents charged after infant burned with scalding water due to malfunctioning toilet - April 18th 2024

Clearsky

Reaction score

1713539718938.png

Nijel David Flowers, 25, and Mahogahany Na'Jae Hemingway, 21, both from Kingstree, South Carolina, were arrested on April 11 and charged with unlawful conduct toward a child, according to the Williamsburg County Sheriff's Office.

Law enforcement conducted a digital reading of the water inside the toilet bowl and the temperature exceeded 129.9 degrees Fahrenheit.

Each individual arrested told law enforcement they knew the water inside the toilet was extremely hot and didn't take steps to correct the problem, according to affidavits.
2 arrested after infant discovered with 'severe' hot water burns: WCSO

Hemingway told authorities that she knew the water in the bathroom toilet was extremely hot for about a year but never did anything to fix it, an arrest warrant states.
Kingstree couple facing charges after baby burned by 129-degree toilet water

why was this toilet fed by a hot water heater? Who puts their infant in the toilet? For what reason? what the what is happening here?

I don't see anything in MSM stating that they placed the child IN the toilet. From what has been reported so far, it sounds like the parents are being charged for not getting the dangerously hot toilet fixed. At this point I think the child came into contact with the water on his own. Further reports may prove me wrong.

I don't see anything in MSM stating that they placed the child IN the toilet. From what has been reported so far, it sounds like the parents are being charged for not getting the dangerously hot toilet fixed. At this point I think the child came into contact with the water on his own. Further reports may prove me wrong.
I can't find an article that states the age of the baby.

@azure, I'm believing the same...there's no charges of abuse or neglect (yet) against the parents. Seems to be the condition of the toilet (fed by scalding water) led to an injury. Not a parent purposefully placing the child in the hot toilet water.

I consider an infant a small baby. I wish the age of the injured child was provided. Using the word infant makes me think of a non mobile child (ie newborn or a couple of months old) while I would consider a baby anything younger than a toddler.

I can see a baby crawling in and pulling up to the toilet to a standing position and possibly getting hurt that way. A toddler could toddling over and do something similar. And infant? nope, at least not how I use the term infant.

I've never heard of, or seen or felt, a toilet having hot water before. Toilets are normally fed from the cold water pipe only, whether the "pipe" is made of copper, PVC or PEX. The only way hot water could seem to enter the picture is:
  • if the toilet supply pipe was mistakenly connected to the hot water pipes, either under the floor or in the basement, and either way perhaps not accessible without tearing out walls or floors;
  • if a homeowner actually wanted their toilet to use hot water, and had the plumbing skills or license to connect it thus themselves, or;
  • a bidet is also being used in that bathroom

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BISHWHETT
Back