SC SC - US Coast Guard searching for 31-foot vessel – Carol Anne that went missing off of Brunswick Georgia, 3 boaters on board, Charleston, 18 Oct ‘23

Stevie Conway, who is Wilkinson’s girlfriend and Conway’s sister, announced on social media that she is four months pregnant.

“Life is just getting good and it won’t stop here! We love you so much Caleb Wilkinson!,” she wrote. “You boys stay strong and keep your faith! We know that you all know how hard we’re trying to get y’all home. All 3 families are fighting warriors and WONT STOP!”

"I think there's a great possibility that they can be found," Trascher said. "You know every day that goes by, the chances diminish that they're found in good health, but they're strong, healthy men and hopefully didn't encounter any weather too severe that would have rendered the boat unable to stay afloat or remain seaworthy."

"I think there's a great possibility that they can be found," Trascher said. "You know every day that goes by, the chances diminish that they're found in good health, but they're strong, healthy men and hopefully didn't encounter any weather too severe that would have rendered the boat unable to stay afloat or remain seaworthy."
Does anyone recall a media article about the captain of the catamaran that reported the possible flares 200+ miles off the coast that themselves encountered 15 foot swells? I can't find it.

Does anyone recall a media article about the captain of the catamaran that reported the possible flares 200+ miles off the coast that themselves encountered 15 foot swells? I can't find it.

Stevie Conway is Dalton’s sister and Caleb’s girlfriend. She said they received a lot of tips from the marine community, including flares seen in the water about 230 miles off Charleston, South Carolina, and a potential flare spotted by some buoy cameras.

Not that specific.

Chris Barlow said the message informed them that the catamaran had experienced wind and heavy seas of around 15 feet on Saturday and had been pushed off course and into the Gulf Stream. The captain said the flares were spotted at around 10:30 p.m. Monday, Chris Barlow said.

The father of one of the missing men has turned his social media page public and has posted a link to it in several places. It's very informative, and kept up to date on what is being done, what the needs are, and what the future plans are. Is it ok to link his page here?

Chris Barlow said the message informed them that the catamaran had experienced wind and heavy seas of around 15 feet on Saturday and had been pushed off course and into the Gulf Stream. The captain said the flares were spotted at around 10:30 p.m. Monday, Chris Barlow said.
How would a 31' fishing boat fare in 15' seas? That sounds like a tough environment.

“We have searched as much of that northern area around Maine as we could safely search with airplanes,” Barlow. “We have still found absolutely nothing, but I absolutely still have hope.” ❤️

A Facebook group called The Carol Ann Bouy Spotters has more than 1,100 members and allows anyone to post pictures from bouy cams regarding the boat and its crew.

Barlow said the families have also asked people to search for debris or evidence of what happened to the Carol Ann along beaches from North Florida to Virginia. If someone finds anything, he said to take a photo of it before disturbing it and to report it to the Coast Guard or to him via Facebook.

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – Debris from the boat of three missing Georgia fisherman was found 16 miles off the coast of St. Augustine Sunday night, according to the United Cajun Navy.

The owner of the Carol Ann confirmed the recently found debris, which was a fish box and the buoy balls on the boat.

The Coast Guard’s search for them spanned 94,000 square miles and four states. Until today, no trace of them or the boat had been found.

According to United Cajun Navy, the Coast Guard has been informed and will dispatch a vessel to the location early Monday morning to rejoin the search efforts.

So it appears the boat sank, but no SOS calls or alerts from beacons onboard were received?
Doesn't sound like there were any. It's possible that the seas were heavier than forecast, or the boat encountered a rogue wave, and the crew were incapacitated before any signal could be transmitted or raft released. The EPIRB would've gone down with the boat while still secured to the vessel, while the fish box and the buoy ball were either not secured or broke away, and they both floated away.
MOO

So it appears the boat sank, but no SOS calls or alerts from beacons onboard were received?
Thanks for highlighting this - this news article had a statement from one of the parents of the missing men that the type of device they had on board needed manual activation. Coast Guard ends search for 3 Georgia fishermen missing at sea for nearly 2 weeks
It sounds like the beacon they had required manual activation. It seems whatever happened happened too quickly for the crew to activate the beacon.

The United Cajun Navy is asking for assistance in determining if an object found during the search for three missing fishermen is connected to their disappearance.

On Monday afternoon on its Facebook page, the United Cajun Navy said a “possible life raft has been spotted.”

It sounds like the beacon they had required manual activation. It seems whatever happened happened too quickly for the crew to activate the beacon.
From the Coast Guard PDF link in post #11 above:
https://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/DCO Documents/5p/CG-5PC/CG-CVC/CVC3/notice/flyers/11E-EPIRBs.pdf
BBM
"A Category 2 EPIRB that must be manually activated is allowed on vessels less than 36 feet in length and on vessels which have a builder's certification that it is constructed with sufficiently inherent buoyant material to keep the flooded vessel afloat."
ETA extra bolding

Last edited:
The Coast Guard is saying that the object that was thought to be a "life raft" was not bigger than a life jacket. In looking at a photo of it, I think it was the remnants of a balloon. A helicopter could get low enough for a close up photo, so I think an actual raft would appear more defined and detailed IMO. The fishing box found though appears to be a valid find. We continue to pray for these three young men and their families. Here’s what we know about this photo that sparked renewed hope in search for missing Brunswick boaters

The Coast Guard is saying that the object that was thought to be a "life raft" was not bigger than a life jacket. In looking at a photo of it, I think it was the remnants of a balloon. A helicopter could get low enough for a close up photo, so I think an actual raft would appear more defined and detailed IMO.
RSBM
Pink is also not a normal maritime rescue color, which is typically orange to red-orange (note life ring behind the fish box in the photo from the News4JAX story).
XI2HQUYQCRH4RB4GCXSYOU5KZM.jpg

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl