Identified! SC - Yemassee, BlkFem 28-35, 347UFSC, scars - thyroid, c-section & hysterectomy, May'95 *GRAPHIC* - Maria Telles-Gonzalez

So I luckily have a 2C1R that has been working really hard on the family tree and she has been able to narrow the search to a specific ward in our hometown with the help of the detective. Looks very promising, the connection they've identified connects our hometown and NY. I hope this is the way to finding out her identity.
It sounds like you’re already doing all the right things! This must be a lot for you and your family to take in. I’m so glad to hear that her case is being worked. Hoping for resolution soon.

bump.
I recently learned about this case. I received a call from a detective a few days back, my sister and I match the victim through our maternal side. As I understand from conversations we might have a great grandparent (or great great grandparent) in common.
1) My sister and I are 100% Puertorican, from the east coast.
2) The lingerie brand caught my attention. The Leonisa underwear brand was pretty popular in PR back in the 90s and only sold via consignment. It was also quite pricey, like VS.
3) I called my grandmother (she is 98) to ask her if she knew of anyone missing amongst our extended family. No luck.
4) My biggest hunch is that this young woman was visiting Florida from the island. Possibly the Jacksonville (about 2-3 hrs to Yemassee) or the Kissimmee area. There are big Puertorican population movements to and from those areas.

I think she hasn't been identified because there is a language/information barrier between the States and PR. Not everything that's aired on continental Telemundo/Univision is aired in PR. I've been thinking about suggesting the investigator to reach out directly to the Puertorican press.

Any other suggestions from you websleuths?
Hi there! Thank you for chiming in. I'm glad they're using genetic genealogy to identify her. I've been following this case for awhile and this has been pretty much the only update. Hopefully they'll know who she is soon!

Age28 to 35 years old
HairNaturally dark brown, but dyed red
EyesBrown
Height5'3"
Weight118 pounds
SexFemale
RaceHispanic (Possibly)
Scars and MarksScar on neck from thyroid surgery; hysterectomy scar on abdomen; double-pierced ears.

Details:​

On May 24, 1995, the body of a deceased female was recovered from a ditch along Cotton Hall Road in Yemassee, South Carolina. She was recovered wearing only a pair of white underwear. The victim had been murdered prior to being transported and dumped along the roadside.

Submit a Tip:​

If you have any information concerning this person, please contact your local FBI office or the nearest American Embassy or Consulate.

Submit an anonymous Tip online

SCF950524 Unidentified Female The victim was discovered on May 24, 1995 in Yemassee, Beaufort County, South Carolina
  • She was a victim of homicide
  • Estimated time of death is 24 hours prior to discovery

Vital Statistics
  • Estimated age: 30 - 35 years old
  • Approximate Height and Weight: 5'4"; 120 lbs.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics: Possibly Hispanic or Bi-racial. Brown hair; brown eyes. Suprapubic scar, no other scars noted. . No tattoos. She had manicured nails and was well-groomed. She had pierced ears. There were no additional identifiers present.
  • Dentals: N/A
  • DNA: Available in CODIS database.
  • Clothing: None located
Case History
The victim was located on Cottonhall Road near the Yemassee line. It is believed that the unknown suspect murdered the victim in another location and successfully identifying the victim may bring quick focus on a suspect.

Investigators
If you have any information about this case please contact:
Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
Lt. Bob Bromage
843-816-8013

You may remain anonymous when submitting information. NCIC Number: U-835677205
Please refer to this number when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.
Source Information:
Beaufort County Sheriff's Office
The Beaufort Gazette

bump.
I recently learned about this case. I received a call from a detective a few days back, my sister and I match the victim through our maternal side. As I understand from conversations we might have a great grandparent (or great great grandparent) in common.
1) My sister and I are 100% Puertorican, from the east coast.
2) The lingerie brand caught my attention. The Leonisa underwear brand was pretty popular in PR back in the 90s and only sold via consignment. It was also quite pricey, like VS.
3) I called my grandmother (she is 98) to ask her if she knew of anyone missing amongst our extended family. No luck.
4) My biggest hunch is that this young woman was visiting Florida from the island. Possibly the Jacksonville (about 2-3 hrs to Yemassee) or the Kissimmee area. There are big Puertorican population movements to and from those areas.

I think she hasn't been identified because there is a language/information barrier between the States and PR. Not everything that's aired on continental Telemundo/Univision is aired in PR. I've been thinking about suggesting the investigator to reach out directly to the Puertorican press.

Any other suggestions from you websleuths?

The Jane Doe was identified as Maria Telles-Gonzalez, 36, from Kissimmee, FL.

Some links:

Congratulations to those who worked on this case. Puerto Rican cases, as with other small island-based (or otherwise isolated) populations are very difficult to solve because when you go out about 5-6 generations out on the family tree just about every person on the match list has 2 or more sets of common ancestors with almost everyone else on the match list. Just because you've identified a set of common ancestors for two persons who match the doe, it doesn't mean that they are ancestors of the Doe.

Even if you rely only on triangulation - (i.e., identifying two persons who share a common segment on the same chromosome as the Doe), those two triangulating matches may have more than one set of common ancestors.

There is a picture of a man attached to the article posted above but I feel like they didn’t give any context for him being there. Is that the suspected “friend/suspected boyfriend” or her husband? Also, I can’t tell if that picture at the bottom is of her or the suspected friend “Patricia” (I’m famously known for being slightly face-blind).

There is a picture of a man attached to the article posted above but I feel like they didn’t give any context for him being there. Is that the suspected “friend/suspected boyfriend” or her husband? Also, I can’t tell if that picture at the bottom is of her or the suspected friend “Patricia” (I’m famously known for being slightly face-blind).
The photo is of the boyfriend, and the other photo is of her friend Patricia. The article was super confusing.

Congratulations to those who worked on this case. Puerto Rican cases, as with other small island-based (or otherwise isolated) populations are very difficult to solve because when you go out about 5-6 generations out on the family tree just about every person on the match list has 2 or more sets of common ancestors with almost everyone else on the match list. Just because you've identified a set of common ancestors for two persons who match the doe, it doesn't mean that they are ancestors of the Doe.

Even if you rely only on triangulation - (i.e., identifying two persons who share a common segment on the same chromosome as the Doe), those two triangulating matches may have more than one set of common ancestors.

As a match to the victim (I was 57cM, while my sister was about 80cM); you are correct, there were common ancestors from both my maternal grandparent branches.
From the little amount of information that was shared with me back when I was contacted for the genetic genealogical research; they had immediate DNA matches but some of the contacts declined to provide further information. They were trying to trace distant relatives back to that immediate match, or so I understood when I spoke to the investigators.

i was also confused by that, i assume he was not her husband because they seem to know who he is

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cdawn
Back