ACTIVE SEARCH SD - Serenity Dennard, 9, Children’s Home Society, Pennington County, 3 Feb 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think someone on HERE said that they looked for her inside the building, that was not reported by MSM. The 2nd worker called for help, just like she was supposed to, right after she made sure the other two children were in a safe place with her. The first worker came back with the first child that ran off, then went after Serenity. You have to remember- it takes a bit to get a search going- the alert goes out to other workers, they have to make sure their children are safe with another worker or two, then go and search. Searches are inside ALL buildings as well as outside. It is very rare that a child is gone this long, they usually find them within minutes. If after they have searched all over the grounds and inside all the buildings and they can't find the missing child, then they call LE.

I was told cell phone service is not good there, I don't know if that had anything to do with the delay. I know that they all spring into action once they all get alerted.

I don't know if anything sinister happened here. I just only know that from what I have read on MSM- statements by LE, that the workers followed the right protocol.

We all have ideas, we all have questions, we're all upset and angry that Serenity has not be found yet. We all want answers. But at the end of the day, this is the first time, from my own research on the internet, that I can see, that this has ever happened where a child has not been found at this home.

We need to realize that these workers are human beings, just like the rest of us. We can't even say that any of them made any mistakes! If they followed proper protocol and did everything humanely possible to find her, how can we sit back and judge them?

I'm not angry that she hasn't been found, although I am obviously upset about it; I get upset about anybody being missing, especially in this kind of weather. I don't feel the need to blame workers or to make excuses for them, but I'd like to know why nobody had looked outside after 15 minutes, why there was nothing to alert them if a child did leave unsupervised, why (if they had been told she was seen outside with no coat, etc.) they waited so long to call 911, and most of all where Serenity disappeared to so quickly. It's also not so important to me whether or not they followed protocol, it's more important that following protocol (if they did) let this little girl down so badly. I'd say it needs to be looked at if that's the case. MOO

Pray.
Keep sharing her photo on any social media you have, just in case she might have found a ride or was kidnapped by someone along that road.
Donations of money might help with the searchers, not sure though as to where one could donate- maybe on their websites? The have had dogs, CAP, SAR, to name a few along with LE searching on a daily basis.

Yes SAR are non profit so donations are always needed. I doubt that Pennington County Search and Rescue is accustomed to searches like this frequently.

I'm not angry that she hasn't been found, although I am obviously upset about it; I get upset about anybody being missing, especially in this kind of weather. I don't feel the need to blame workers or to make excuses for them, but I'd like to know why nobody had looked outside after 15 minutes, why there was nothing to alert them if a child did leave unsupervised, why (if they had been told she was seen outside with no coat, etc.) they waited so long to call 911, and most of all where Serenity disappeared to so quickly. It's also not so important to me whether or not they followed protocol, it's more important that following protocol (if they did) let this little girl down so badly. I'd say it needs to be looked at if that's the case. MOO

I would agree with this. I think that things can be learned here to save another child.
While locking them in would be against code... a security system that alerts when a door is opened would not. In fact people have those in their homes even. So it wouldn't be too drastic of a measure to have that in place.
I also definitely think there should be cameras outside, that would be an unbiased "witness" to her last direction of travel.
I definitely think that protocol could be improved for the next time.

However, with that said... I do not believe that the residential I was in had those security measures. Granted, our winters are NOT as severe as South Dakota. Even still... the wind is howling and the snow is flying. It's still double digit temperatures although it feels colder. I simply cannot imagine a child out in that... and I hope that she is not. :(

BBM
~*~**~*~*~*~*~*~**~**~*~*~

"According to Bill Colson, Executive Director for the Children’s Home Society, Serenity June Dennard wandered from the premises of the social services center during a designated gym time at roughly 11:20 a.m. on Sunday.

Colson explains: “We had two staff and four children who were in the gym together. One child went one direction, and one of the staff members who was with the children went with her, and Serenity went the other way, and another staff member couldn’t pursue her because she had two other children and she was the only staff remaining.”

He then added that they “saw her leave the school building.”

The executive director stated that, during a typical play hour, the society maintains a supervision ratio of one staff member per six children. Prior to Dennard’s disappearance, the staff-to-child ratio was 1:2.

During the search, questions were raised regarding a time discrepancy between when Serenity left the premises and when B.H.C.H. staff called police.

Staff said they first noticed Serenity missing at 11 a.m. and called right away, but authorities later said that a 911 call was placed by the Children’s Home at 12:26 p.m.

During that roughly one-and-a-half-hour gap, staff searched through buildings and nearby structures belonging to the social services organization before calling police at the updated time.

“In some of these types of situations, due to their own experiences and things that they deal with on a regular basis, they do things a little differently, because, quite frankly, it’s not the norm,” Whelchel added.

Deputies also added that they do not plan to investigate the Children’s Home while the search is on-going.

Day 8: Future efforts uncertain in search for missing girl - KNBN NewsCenter1
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~**~*~

I wanted to note that there is typically a 6:1 ratio, and during the incident it was 1:2. They were over staffed for the situation which only leads me to more questions.

Staff said that they first noticed her missing around 11:00-11:20 ( from a few different articles) and staff stated that they called 911 right away, yet 911 was not actually called until 12:26. That is over an hour delay. A minor child left the building into inclement weather which would be deemed an emergency in any care facility, IMO.

I do not think protocol was followed, IMO.

Here is a weather reference at the time of the incident and there after

Rockerville February Weather 2019 - AccuWeather Forecast for SD 57702

And I keep reading the last sentence above where it states "they do things a little differently because it isn't the norm."
Seeing what the facility specializes in, each child child would have a plan of care, a unique behavior intervention plan, but there are still safety standards, policies, and procedures in place that would address any given situation.

I trust we will find out more as time goes on, but I do not think this is going to end well on many levels.

Just know, I only trained for a few weeks and helped once in a search for a missing child, who was found about 10 minutes later. I wasn't even there to work- just train, and my heart was in my mouth! I just can't imagine what those poor workers are going through right now- just devastating for them. That's why I just can't gang up on them. I don't believe that they are at fault.

Working in the medical field myself, I have been in numerous juvenile treatment centers and appreciate the compassion you have for the workers. Mine is focused more on child advocacy and the family at this time. No one will feel more pain from losing that child then the family. IMO, I can't help but feel if protocol was followed by the staff, Serenity would be safe right now. I am seeing quite a few flags as I posted above. I will patiently wait and see what the investigation of the facility and staff actions find.

Staff said that they first noticed her missing around 11:00-11:20 ( from a few different articles) and staff stated that they called 911 right away, yet 911 was not actually called until 12:26. That is over an hour delay. A minor child left the building into inclement weather which would be deemed an emergency in any care facility, IMO.
Does this mean that they didn't know she was gone until the woman told them she was out by the cattle guard? This all sounds weirder and weirder every time I read something new from them. MOO

Pennington County Sheriff's Office

After another cold, snowy weekend, we did NOT find Serenity Dennard. We called out the Rapid City/Pennington County Water Rescue Team after dogs showed interest in certain areas along the creek. About 56 people and six dogs worked hard Sunday to find the lost nine year old. Pennington County Search and Rescue

This question is for all - not cypervampira specifically...Which gentleman is the dog's handler in this video? TIA.

The only question that I have is who said that they called 911 immediately after she was reported missing. The Director? That is my only complaint that I want an answer to. I refuse to blame the workers in this, they followed the right protocols.

Who delayed in making this call? Did they not realize that LE would know exactly when that call came in?
What protocol did they follow?

BBM

"According to Bill Colson, Executive Director for the Children’s Home Society, Serenity June Dennard wandered from the premises of the social services center during a designated gym time at roughly 11:20 a.m. on Sunday.

Colson explains: “We had two staff and four children who were in the gym together. One child went one direction, and one of the staff members who was with the children went with her, and Serenity went the other way, and another staff member couldn’t pursue her because she had two other children and she was the only staff remaining.”

The executive director stated that, during a typical play hour, the society maintains a supervision ratio of one staff member per six children. Prior to Dennard’s disappearance, the staff-to-child ratio was 1:2.

During the search, questions were raised regarding a time discrepancy between when Serenity left the premises and when B.H.C.H. staff called police.

Staff said they first noticed Serenity missing at 11 a.m. and called right away, but authorities later said that a 911 call was placed by the Children’s Home at 12:26 p.m.

During that roughly one-and-a-half-hour gap, staff searched through buildings and nearby structures belonging to the social services organization before calling police at the updated time.

“In some of these types of situations, due to their own experiences and things that they deal with on a regular basis, they do things a little differently, because, quite frankly, it’s not the norm,” Whelchel added.

Deputies also added that they do not plan to investigate the Children’s Home while the search is on-going.

I wanted to note that there is typically a 6:1 ratio, and during the incident it was 1:2. They were over staffed for the situation which only leads me to more questions.

And I keep reading the last sentence above where it states "they do things a little differently because it isn't the norm."
Seeing what the facility specializes in, each child child would have a plan of care, a unique behavior intervention plan, but there are still safety standards, policies, and procedures in place that would address any given situation.

I trust we will find out more as time goes on, but I do not think this is going to end well on many levels.
ITA
Furthermore I think they are going to investigate this.
"...Deputies also added that they do not plan to investigate the Children’s Home while the search is on-going."

ITA
Furthermore I think they are going to investigate this.
"...Deputies also added that they do not plan to investigate the Children’s Home while the search is on-going."

Caught that too, eh?

Oh I am sure there will be a very thorough investigation, AFTER the search has ended. Hopefully with little SD safely back in her family's arms. Positive vibes!

Wow entirely too long to be missing in this atrocious weather! I hope that at least LE are not stopping themselves while they banter about whose fault it is until they find this innocent child. AFTERWARDS they can delve into that with reckless abandon!

BBM

1. The Executive Director said staff saw her leave the building

2. Staff said they first noticed her missing at 11:00 am and called right away.

3. Authorities said the 911 call was not placed until 12:26 pm

She couldn’t have gotten that far unless someone picked her up. IMO only. She’s 9.
I know weather bad. This is so horrible. As brave as she probably thought she was, she was probably scared out of her mind not much later.

have they been looking up? I just could see a young girl climbing a tree and falling "asleep"

hope if they do find her they will release her diagnosis if it was something like ODD or something. it could give awareness to just how these kids dont think and caregivers have to be full attention with them. could also help people who deny these diagnoses even exist, I hate when people say my boy is just being a boy. no, he isn't. he has a mental illness
of course if it was abuse or something to that effect, I wouldn't want that to be released for privacy of the family

Some good photos in this link. Makes one curious - where the heck could she have been running to? Of course at her age, it could have been just a spontaneous thought and flight. But after that first sprint, what could she have been trying to do? Where to go? Even the dogs have ice whiskers.

Girl still missing after weekend search
From the article:

A weekend search party with more than 50 people, a helicopter and seven dogs was not able to find missing 9-year-old girl Serenity Dennard.

Officials plan to regroup on Monday and hope for a break in a weather in order to melt some of the deep snow and make search conditions more bearable with warming temperatures.

The Pennington County Water Rescue Team was called in on Sunday after some dogs showed interest in a small creek. Crews broke through the ice to search the water underneath but did not find Dennard.

One dog could not work on Sunday after its paws were injured the day before.

A helicopter was flying to help with the search over the weekend weekend, but it was grounded by fog early Sunday morning. It was able to take off Sunday afternoon.

She couldn’t have gotten that far unless someone picked her up. IMO only. She’s 9.
I know weather bad. This is so horrible. As brave as she probably thought she was, she was probably scared out of her mind not much later.

I know a girl who is almost 9 who is very athletic and could go quite far under normal conditions. Tons of energy and stamina. I do think the cold would have been a factor in how far she would go, but if she was moving quickly in the first hour or so before the storm came, she could have covered a lot of ground.

have they been looking up? I just could see a young girl climbing a tree and falling "asleep"

hope if they do find her they will release her diagnosis if it was something like ODD or something. it could give awareness to just how these kids dont think and caregivers have to be full attention with them. could also help people who deny these diagnoses even exist, I hate when people say my boy is just being a boy. no, he isn't. he has a mental illness
of course if it was abuse or something to that effect, I wouldn't want that to be released for privacy of the family

From what I've seen parents dealing with RAD and or ODD are dealing with something not even remotely close to my most stubborn child. It's very frightening looking from the outside. I have a friend whose 11 yo is in residential treatment right now. Why? Because he pushed her down the stairs and fractured her spine. And he said that if he returned home he'd probably hurt her again. :/ And this occurred while they had people coming to their home multiple times a week for therapy and treatment.

Most of the people I know dealing with similar issues are dealing with adopted children who seem to have a very high rate of RAD and ODD. :(

Some good photos in this link. Makes one curious - where the heck could she have been running to? Of course at her age, it could have been just a spontaneous thought and flight. But after that first sprint, what could she have been trying to do? Where to go? Even the dogs have ice whiskers.

Girl still missing after weekend search

I really wish there was a way to know what was running through her head once she got outside. Was she simply trying to avoid going back in? Was she interested in a walk to a favorite spot? Was she trying to get home? All of that would factor in to where she headed, or even if she tried to head in a specific direction. They seem to have checked thoroughly within a mile, and have expanded that to 2.5 miles, which seems to indicate that she wasn't just trying to hide from the Home workers. Of course it is possible that she found a hiding spot that they just haven't come across, but that seems less likely the more they look.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MambeuX