Seaching for Anna - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking at the CA unclaimed property, I noticed that the John Wanek mentioned has the address of 575 Sutter Street SFCA. Evelyn had a grandpa and an uncle both named John Wanek.

Also, did you notice how OLD her parents where when they died? 99 and 102...WOW

I looked into the address of 1122 Sutter Street (Joe Wanek's "residence") and evidently it was a funeral home in the first half of the twentieth century. At some point, it appears to have broken up into business suites. It currently houses an AIDS clinic and a chiropractic college. I do not know if it ever was actually residences. I do know that the building right next to this address on the corner did have apartments circa 1970.

I looked into the address of 1122 Sutter Street (Joe Wanek's "residence") and evidently it was a funeral home in the first half of the twentieth century. At some point, it appears to have broken up into business suites. It currently houses an AIDS clinic and a chiropractic college. I do not know if it ever was actually residences. I do know that the building right next to this address on the corner did have apartments circa 1970.

I wonder if he was a caretaker. Even now, many funeral homes have resident living quarters. They could have moved there anywhere between 1930 and 1970. He died in 1972. I bet they sold it after he died. Barbara probably moved in with one of her daughters living in the area.

They lived on a farm in ND for nearly 30 years, I wonder what sent them to SF? If He became a mortician, it would be kind of comical that his daughter ran a health club...LOL (conflict of interests!) Probably why they lived so long. Maybe that was Brody's attraction?

It is possible that the street level of the building is commercial while the upper floors are apartments. This is a common arrangement in San Francisco. I just cannot find any references to this address that are not commercial.

I thought this SS death record was interesting. I can not find ANY additional info on this person. Can't find him in any census records, no draft info, NOTHING! I'm leaving the SS included for anyone who can find out more about him. How I would love to see who signed this death certificate I also wonder why an exact date of death isn't given.

Name:Carl Wanek
SSN:398-05-8163
Last Residence: 54208 Denmark, Brown, Wisconsin, United States of America
Born:15 Aug 1896
Died:Jan 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (Before 1951

The Wanek last name seems to appear mostly in Wisconson area. I think that often the SSDI only lists the month and year of death, but others may know more about how it works.

I can not find ANY additional info on this person. Can't find him in any census records, no draft info, NOTHING! ...

Name:Carl Wanek
SSN:398-05-8163
Last Residence: 54208 Denmark, Brown, Wisconsin, United States of America
Born:15 Aug 1896
Died:Jan 1973
State (Year) SSN issued: Wisconsin (Before 1951

I was able to find the following service record at :

http://aad.archives.gov/aad/record-detail.jsp?dt=893&rid=254213

I do not know if this is the same guy. He joined the Army in 1939 when your Carl would have been 43 years old. The birth year listed on the form is "55", but since this person joined the Army in 1939, it cannot be right - the only "55" would have been 1855, which means this guy would have been 84 years old. Doesn't make sense.

Dr. D - Just check classmates.com. No one listed under the name Wanek.

Joe's notes said Jack Wolf, but this was based on a phone conversation with Evelyn, so it could have been spelled Wolfe. GW gave his name at their last hotel as "Walters"...lots of swings and roundabouts. I am wondering if there's any connection between Evelyn and Margaret Kukoda. Was Kukoda her married name? I'll have to look in the (huge) files, but it seems to me that there was a husband in the old city directories at some point. We have several old S.F. addresses for Margaret before she and Brody moved in together.

Did anyone else notice the John E Wolf, MD on the phone listing? Jack is also a nickname for John. Could it be possible when Joe was asking Ms. Wanek about a young doctor friend of Brody's, that she knew Dr. Wolf and thought Joe was asking about him? Dr. Wolf is the same age as GW. Joe, can you remember more from your phone call to Ms. Wanek.

Did anyone else notice the John E Wolf, MD on the phone listing? Jack is also a nickname for John. Could it be possible when Joe was asking Ms. Wanek about a young doctor friend of Brody's, that she knew Dr. Wolf and thought Joe was asking about him? Dr. Wolf is the same age as GW. Joe, can you remember more from your phone call to Ms. Wanek.

I thought it would be ok to share this with you all:

Doug,

The proximity of those addresses would surely suggest some connection. Fine work. Sure wish we knew this stuff way back when. I have no distinct recollection of talking to the lady in Pacifica except that it did not run up a red flag at the time. Her explanation must have seemed plausible. It is curious to me, however, that Brody chose to use his real name while Waters used the pseudonym.

What type of cancer did Brody die from? I seem to vaguely recall the mention of therapy for Brody. Here's a thought: the "center-city vortex" is well known to be an attraction for, shall we say, the tinfoil hat group. Since Wanek had a studio on Sutter St. it is likely that Brody was aware of it and probably, in fact, was acquainted with her. When it became clear that Brody's cancer was advancing it would not be surprising that he should turn to her for treatment. It is unclear whether she still maintained an office in SF at the time of Brody's death. If so, it is very probable that the two Georges never went to Pacifica.

Whatever the circumstances, it is an amazing catch by you sleuthers and should certainly be pursued.

Joe

See what's new at AOL.com and Make AOL Your Homepage.

If Wanek ran a health studio it would have to had been licensed. Anyone run a check?

Good catch, I had forgotten that...

Another bit of information that confirms that "Wanek" is the correct spelling: I found a report by a regional power company that an Evelyn Wanek of Pacifica, Ca purchased a wind-powered generator from them. Another interesting, yet meaningless coincidence: the contract was signed 12/24/81 - the same day that Brody died and the day before Waters's phone call to her.

Reincarnation?

According to records:

Dr. John E. Wolf
Birth date: 12/28/21
Licensed: 1954
License Cancelled: 2/78
Last known address: Florence, OR
Prior known: Redding, CA

I do have full addy and an SSN that I'd prefer not to publish... if someone wants it for further research, PM me.

If Wanek ran a health studio it would have to had been licensed. Anyone run a check?

Evelyn Wanek
Physical Therapist license: PT3521
License issued: 6/6/69
License Expired: 2/29/84

Again, I have a (full) last address listed in Pacifica, CA but no SSN number... that's the only license info I come up with for her.

Evelyn Wanek
Physical Therapist license: PT3521
License issued: 6/6/69
License Expired: 2/29/84

Again, I have a (full) last address listed in Pacifica, CA but no SSN number... that's the only license info I come up with for her.

Would this be the only License, or just the last? She would have been 63 when this licence was issued. Not that old, but kinda old for starting a new career.

Would this be the only License, or just the last? She would have been 63 when this licence was issued. Not that old, but kinda old for starting a new career.

PT Board records are not very accurate for older information. Evelyn may have been licensed in another state before registering in CA for a license.

I can only report what the board records show...

Licensee Name:WANEK EVELYN
License Type:Physical Therapist
License Number:3521
License Status:CANCELLED
Expiration Date:February 29, 1984
Issue Date:June 06, 1969
County:SAN MATEO
Actions:No

Someone who is having registration problems emailed me the following from the SSDI. It looks like this may be the same woman.

Evelyn WANEK
Birth Date: 11 Feb 1906
Death Date: 31 Dec 1992
Social Security Number: 557-18-1586
State or Territory Where Number Was Issued: California

Death Residence Localities
ZIP Code: 95006
Localities: Big Basin, Santa Cruz, California
Boulder Creek, Santa Cruz, California

So now the question is do the records show that she had a 40 year old daughter? One who hopefully has no birth records.

I'm sure you are right and that this the same woman. Boulder Creek is just down the coast from Half Moon Bay. Maybe some history for her can be found there.

Even if her connection to the two Georges was merely professional perhaps her records could shed some light on Brody's shaded past. Think records exist somewhere? Maybe she sold her practice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels