Search Under Way As 3 Fall From Mt. Hood

I would like to thank Velvet the black Lab. :) Seems that Velvet is being given quite a bit of praise by the rescuers and the climbers. Velvet offered a lot of comfort and warmth to the climbers. The rescuers are going so far as to say Velvet may have even saved their lives...Go Black Labs! Go Dogs!

It's nice to see a good ending to a missing hiker situation :)

I"m so glad it ended well, this time. But I really think they should stop these climbers from going up in the winter. It's just too hazardous. IMO

Sundayrain said:
I was so worried today .........I am sure all us WSers were.
It must have been so cold,dark, windy and scarey.
At a time like this everyone gets thanked.......from the highest power......to the dog on four feet.
God, because he does answer many prayers.......the Angels.......The Saints......
Every worker, every person on the mountain.......every star in the sky.
It always like a miracle when something can go so, so, wrong.......and then.....thankfully it doesn't.
The dog........was a savior as he kept them warm.
Its great days like this......that we can celebrate life......people.......
honor ..........and the Almighty.
For other souls on the mountain have not been so fortunate.
It may have been their time.......Ones time is never known.
But.......today.......is a celebration of great news, and of mans humanity.
The World feels good.........

Beautifully said Sundayrain. What a mind you have to put that all together.

I also think the rescuers are heros. I heard an old man interviewed today on a local show. He wasn't a climber but did have a connection to the mountain and had seen so many rescues over the years.

From reading CascadeClimbers we know these guys are our foulweather friends, not wanting to be put into the wrong box and wanting above all to have the great sport remain as it has been, to have it emulate the spirit of the mountain, wild, free and unrestricted. Their preparation and concentration on what they are doing is what they feel will assist them when trouble arrises. And if it is their time, so be it.

Many of these men are posters on this site. They are either the searchers, the TV journalist or teachers of the sport.

What the old man said is they are not only experts at finding people and bringing them safely down, but he has watched them with survivors and the families of those who have died, and they are simply very good at everything that they do.

Thanks to them all. Out of 4 rescues since Jan 1, 2007, 3 were successful and only the one was not. He was deceased when they found him.

ABC Radio is reporting that Velvet has an injury of some sort to her rear paw. Nothing too major, but not comfy by any means. Possibly frostbite or from the fall.

KrisNine said:
I would like to thank Velvet the black Lab. :) Seems that Velvet is being given quite a bit of praise by the rescuers and the climbers. Velvet offered a lot of comfort and warmth to the climbers. The rescuers are going so far as to say Velvet may have even saved their lives...Go Black Labs! Go Dogs!

It's nice to see a good ending to a missing hiker situation :)
Yeah, see my fear is now other idiots (not you, the climbers ;) ) will think the same thing and decide to take their dogs along. I am certain we will hear about more dogs dying on the mtn now.

curious1 said:
Yeah, see my fear is now other idiots (not you, the climbers ;) ) will think the same thing and decide to take their dogs along. I am certain we will hear about more dogs dying on the mtn now.
I was thinking the same thing. That was a pretty high elevation to hike with a dog in that kind of weather.

I am so happy the outcome was good!! I was afraid they wouldnt be able to get the dog out of there... I think I have watched Eight Below too many times :)

The three climbers set out on Saturday with five other friends — all in the 20s and 30s and from the Portland area — to scale the 11,239-foot mountain, Oregon's tallest.

However, a storm moved in and on Sunday they started their descent in blowing snow.

"You had no visual reference around you to determine if you were going up or down," said one member of the group, Trevor Liston. "You could make out a climber at 30 feet at best."

Then he saw the group of three — all roped together with Velvet — disappear over an icy ledge.

Liston and the four others used a rope to lower one of their climbing party over the edge in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the trio.

Then they used a cell phone to call for help as the wind howled at up to 70 mph.

Velvet, owned by Bryant, had minor cuts and abrasions on her back paws and legs from prolonged exposure to the snow, but she was cleared to go home.

"The dog probably saved their lives" by lying across them during the cold night, said Erik Brom, a member of the Portland Mountain Rescue team.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070220/ap_on_re_us/mount_hood_climbers

Picture of Velvet: http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070220/480/ordr11402200032c&g=events/us/021907mthoodclimbers

Dark Knight said:
The three climbers set out on Saturday with five other friends — all in the 20s and 30s and from the Portland area — to scale the 11,239-foot mountain, Oregon's tallest.

However, a storm moved in and on Sunday they started their descent in blowing snow.

"You had no visual reference around you to determine if you were going up or down," said one member of the group, Trevor Liston. "You could make out a climber at 30 feet at best."

Then he saw the group of three — all roped together with Velvet — disappear over an icy ledge.

Liston and the four others used a rope to lower one of their climbing party over the edge in an unsuccessful attempt to locate the trio.

Then they used a cell phone to call for help as the wind howled at up to 70 mph.

Velvet, owned by Bryant, had minor cuts and abrasions on her back paws and legs from prolonged exposure to the snow, but she was cleared to go home.

"The dog probably saved their lives" by lying across them during the cold night, said Erik Brom, a member of the Portland Mountain Rescue team.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070220/ap_on_re_us/mount_hood_climbers

Picture of Velvet: http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070220/480/ordr11402200032c&g=events/us/021907mthoodclimbers

You had it back to front earlier DK, it was the dog, not God lol

What does a dyslexic, agnostic insomniac do?

Lies awake at night wondering if there really is a dog.:p

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oceandreamer753